Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009-11-7 Charizard AR 1/99

Images

2009-11-7 Charizard AR 1/99

"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

2009-11-7 Charizard AR 1/99

Images
    probably the worst current meta counter, due to the fact that Kingdra is coming back, Gyrados and Legoes are still up and running, and Dialga GX is being teched in a large amount of decks.
    6/10
    2010 - 2011 Season Record: 8 - 7
    SSBB:Kaz 4983-9636-2838
    Trade me things!!
    Sell me things!!
    My iTraders

I'm torn on this one:

1 for a possible 80 is terrific, but
    Weakness to water is just terrible right now

May work with Exploud to get rid of the weakness, but that retreat cost, need to discard energy and the fact he can't abuse upper all work against him.

I'll be keeping him in the binder for now...

This card is gonna replace Flygon. 1 for 80 and 3 for 130 with 5 fire Pokemon on your bench and you don't have to evolve them vs. only 1 move that increase in power and you have to have evolved Pokemon on your bench and the attack does 110 for 3.

Charizard > Flygon

10/10
    Are you a fan of Black Kyurem? If you are, then come to my Black Kyurem page here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black...70399936312699

Blog Entries
    Images
    Today's CotD is Charizard from AR, a surprisingly playable Charizard...first one in a long while. Statwise, 140 HP is wonderful for a Stage 2 (10 more than common), +30 Weakness to hurts, -20 Resistance to helps, and colorless:colorless to Retreat is expensive. Fire Formation is a great Poke-Body; +10 damage for each Pokemon on your bench is pure gold, giving you a possible 50 extra damage (or more realistically, 20-40 depending on if you use Uxie, Claydol, etc). Fire Wing is a cheap 30 for , but it can deal as much as 80 considering the Poke-Body. Burning Tail is also nice at :colorless for 80 (or up to 130 with its Poke-Body, enough to OHKO most Stage 2s), with the slight drawback of having to discard a Energy on Charizard. Overall, with a lot of Pokemon support, this card is downright deadly.

Modified - 9/10 (One of the best Charizards to come out in a long time, though its Weakness to hurts)
    Limited - 8/10 (Still great, as it has cheap effective attacks, plus more damage for Pokemon on your bench)
    Unlimited - 2/10 (Well...might be fun anyways?)
    Shameless self-promotion:

Interested in the VGC? Want to be the best you can be? Check out my VGC Teambuilding guide here:

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158669

Quote Originally Posted by ArceusRules View Post
    This card is gonna replace Flygon. 1 for 80 and 3 for 130 with 5 fire Pokemon on your bench and you don't have to evolve them vs. only 1 move that increase in power and you have to have evolved Pokemon on your bench and the attack does 110 for 3.

Charizard > Flygon

10/10
    It's nowhere near as good as Flygon at the moment. You're just comparing possible attack damage and ignoring Flygon's ability to abuse its PokeBody, its Colourless Energy needs, and its LV X.

You can't really compare them at all imo. Flygon is a deck full of combos and strategy, and Charizard is an in-your-face, big-hitter.

It's a decent big-hitter, but it is very hard to make the most of it right now. The +10 attack boost for Fire Pokemon is nice, but until we get the Energy Draw Ninetales, the problem is that there aren't really any other Fire Pokemon that you would really WANT on your bench. Typhlosion MT is not really needed, and Rapidash AR is a poor alternative to Mewtwo LV X. Ninetales MT might be a decent tech against Pokemon that are weak to their own type (Flygon, Salamence, Gardevoir), but that's about it. Really, you are being forced to give deck and bench space to sub-par Pokemon just to boost Charizard's attacks.

We won't see the best of this card for another set.

6.5/10 Now
    8/10 Later

You can give it +2 just for being a Charizard if you want to.
    Read my article on Blastoise/Keldeo please
    UK National Seniors Champion '10 || Worlds Competitor '08, 09, '10, '11
    Worlds 2012 Top 32 Masters Division
    YOU/USEDTO_B E A_LRIGHT_AT/POKE_MON WHAT /HA_PPENED

You should take into account that a 2-2 line of Infernape 4 would both increase damage output, and force your opponent to switch into easier stuff to kill.

I don't rate this much. For now I guess but probably still when the next set comes out. I was thinking this the other day and I actually think this is very true; What if it was another Pokemon? I mean even I have to admit that making a Charizard deck sounds alot better than; I'm building a Venusaur deck. But I do think it is pretty good. 6/10 and with next set 7.5/10. I may be wrong but I really don't rate the card.
    Worlds invitee '09, '10, '11

UK Masters

Propokemon.com

It would be good if Ninetales was in the format right now. But it isn't.

It would be good if Great Feraligatr was not in same set as Ninetales. But it is.

6/10.
    1 Cities win, 2 States wins, 6th and 5th at Nationals and 12th at Worlds with Gigas.

Looking for a new deck.

Charizard is better than Flygon and I have Flygon Lv. X, so I'm hardly biased. Fire type Pokemon are awesome anyway. 1 energy for a potential 80 is amazing and this Charizard is highly playable. I agree you are unlikely to have 5 Fire Pokemon on your bench more likely three, but excluding Kingdra and Dialga G Lv. X this is an impressive card. Love and Peace, Jakxx
    Charizard better than Flygon

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Lava Apple Eruption View Post
    Charizard is better than Flygon and I have Flygon Lv. X, so I'm hardly biased. Fire type Pokemon are awesome anyway. 1 energy for a potential 80 is amazing and this Charizard is highly playable. I agree you are unlikely to have 5 Fire Pokemon on your bench more likely three, but excluding Kingdra and Dialga G Lv. X this is an impressive card. Love and Peace, Jakxx
    ...Rampardos does 80. And it doesn't need 5 fire bench. It is fossil though so that equals itself out. Where is Rampardos? Flygon stops all Lv.X's ( Or basicly anyway ) it has disruption with his Pokebody it has free retreat, resistence to thunder is sweet, Charizard has a worse weakness, Flygon stops Stadiums ( Or basicly anyway ) it's evoloutions are far better than Charizards and Flygons Power Swing is a nice alround attack. Charizard has better HP and slightly better Speed. It loses to Gyardos, Kingdra and gets Pwned by Palkia G. Flygon doesn't have any 100% match ups against him ( At least I think so ). Charizard relys on his body alot. The match up itself my be slightly in Charizards favour but there is more than one deck ya know. Simples.
    Worlds invitee '09, '10, '11

UK Masters

Propokemon.com

Yuck. People have hyped this, but in all reality, it is not so hot. Not because of its attacks. Not because of its pokebody. But because there's so much water in the format. Oh yeah, and DGX.

6/10
    My name is decieving, I'm not on fire or Japanese .

Nidoqueen can be teched into anything BUT Speedrill!!

Please call me FJM, so you do not have to type the mouthful that is my username.

Blog Entries
    At least this Charizard is playable. Obviously the idea is to swarm fire.

7/10

Maybe couple it with Moltres and Heatran as they are basics that are somewhat self-loadingwrt energy. Moltres can pull the energy out of the discard pile.
    The Pokemon Fraternity - Epsilon Epsilon Epsilon Epsilon Epsilon Epsilon Epsilon Kappa (Eeeeeeek)

Add in the plus powers and expert belt after a few hits from a poke turn crobats and this guy could get rid of about anything. You know what happens when you play with fire so only 5/10. Great deck for new jrs.
    Originally Posted by nico-lol
    FLOWER CHOP LADY x 1

So looking at this guy, I would play him with Houndoom (Legends Awakened) and Rayquaza (Legends Awakened) with Stark Mountain (Legends Awakened)-- unless I'm missing something here.

He reminds me of Feraligatr d (Delta Species)... if there was a Beedrill (Rising Rivals) that searched for Fire Pokemon and was fire type, this card would be in the Fireman's house. But for now (haven't playtested it.) But 140 hp is decent.

6/10
    Remember 9/11.

"I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains."

-Anne Frank

140 HP is really good. The Pokebody is powerful, but for it to work effectively you have to have 5 Fire Pokemon on your bench. Usually, you will have a Claydol on your bench or a tech that is not fire-type. 1 for 30-80 is not so bad, and 3 for 80-130 is really good, especially when you can recover the energy with Heatran. Retreat Cost and Weakness are really bad, though. 6/10
    LA Senior State Champ 2009, 2nd Place LA States 2010 (Seniors) 2010 MS Senior State Champion
    2nd Place Regionals 2010, Top 16 Regionals '09, Top 16 Nationals '09, 37th Worlds 2009
    13x BR Winner, 7x CC Winner
    TEAM ROCKET

I have two of these its a real good card it can do a lot of damg up to a hundread and thirty.....well people usually have clayd doll on there bench lol

I see this as a pseudo Kingdra/Gyarados almost, but with worse typing, lol. Get out at least 4 fire pokes (Ideally other charizards) and expert belt the first two charizards, skip the third, and expert belt the last one. You opponent is gonna have to KO three 160 hp monsters that are doing 90 for 1 fire energy and one regular charizard. No double weak means the only way you opponent is ever getting a OHKO on this thing is if they get out a Lucario GL. Play this with the new Spiritomb to stop other decks from outspeeding you.

8.5/10
    ~PK~

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Lava Apple Eruption View Post
    Charizard is better than Flygon and I have Flygon Lv. X, so I'm hardly biased.
    Fire type Pokemon are awesome anyway.
    I can't possibly counter such a brilliantly constructed and unbiased argument.
    Read my article on Blastoise/Keldeo please
    UK National Seniors Champion '10 || Worlds Competitor '08, 09, '10, '11
    Worlds 2012 Top 32 Masters Division
    YOU/USEDTO_B E A_LRIGHT_AT/POKE_MON WHAT /HA_PPENED

Lets use reality to talk about this card. Chances are you will only do 40-60 early game and maybe 70 late game. You need Claydol on the bench so you will need 5 benched pokemon to do 70. Kingdra can do 60-20 for 1 with a Claydol.
    5/10

140 hp good for a stage 2, +30 to can hurt nowadays, -20 from can be good. colorless to retreat is bad. One energy for a possible 80 damage is amazing, three energies for a possible 130 damage is also pretty good. It's Poke-Body is also very good. Amazing card.

Modified: 9/10 (would have done 10/10, but it's weakness and retreat hurt)
    Limited: 9/10 (see above)
    Unlimited: 4/10 (second best Charizard card ever made, in my opinion)
    Quote Originally Posted by gallade View Post
    You guys do know baby mario is an ex-cop right? Just wanted to throw that out there before you give him your real name.
    Game Scenario Writer for ProPokemon.com
    Currently running ZekEels || ...my trades...

When HGSS comes out, this will be the BDIF.

I pulled a 4-2-2 line in my prerelease (both charmeleon and 1 zard in my prize packs), and I traded for another!
    TEAM EXETER!

Images
    this was good with heatran on your bench. you can do 80+ without discarding anything
    Quote Originally Posted by gallade View Post
    Good god, prodigal_fanboy had a serious post? No puns? No completely offensive quotes? Nothing for me to sig?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuckleLVX View Post
    Really, you can believe me. I'm from the internet.

It's been said before, but... This card won't see much serious play until HG/SS due to Rapidash (AKA Fire Claydol) not being in the format.

Decent card, but it just doesn't have a proper bench yet...

6/10 Now
    8/10 After HG/SS
    "I was not born a Pokemon, I was created! And my creators have used and betrayed me!"

Images
    Hit Points= 140 sick!

PokeBody= Good, but for now it's not very effective without Ninetales HGSS and Great Typhlosion. Not to menton, having 5 Fire Pokemon on the bench is tough to come by. Especially Palkia G Lv X and Dusnkoir running around.

Fire Wing= Eh... they could've beefed it up to 50, other wise it really would've been a good card.

Burning Tail= Again, they could've have raised his damage up to 100 and it really would've been a powerful card to OHKO everything in the format. 80 is nothing for 3 energies, plus you have to discard a Fire from Charizard on top of that.

Weakness= Sigh... if only Kingdra, Gyarados, Palkia G, Feraligatr weren't in our lives.

Resistance= Useless because there hardly any good Fighting pokemon in this years format (Besides Machamp SF).

Retreat Cost= Ok..... Charizard has wings right? I understand he's a big guy and all, but come on, 3 energies is such an insult to Charizard. That's like making fun of a fat kid that can't run.

2/10= Now
    7/10= When the HGSS comes out.
    WiiU ID: Chompy621

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast