Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2011-1-17 FRLG Gyarados Ex 109

  1. #1
    MrMeches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Right Here!
    Posts
    4,818
    Images
    682

    2011-1-17 FRLG Gyarados Ex 109

    "Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"



    2011-1-17 FRLG Gyarados Ex 109
    Last edited by MrMeches; 01/17/2011 at 09:07 PM.

    Proud Dad of Oliver and Kait Fish!!
    Do your Deck List BEFORE the Tournament HERE!!
    Have you checked out the Card of the Day??


  2. #2
    Monkeylad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    1,694
    Images
    4
    7/10
    Great artwork, and decent first attack so long as you're not tails cursed
    Trade Thread
    Sell Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Make sure to add a p to the word rapping.

  3. #3
    i remember this being so hard to pull

    but seriously?

    3/10 even when exs were so big
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal_fanboy View Post
    I should keep a counter of the number of times I've been sigged.
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal_fanboy View Post
    I should keep a counter of the number of times I've been sigged.
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal_fanboy View Post
    I should keep a counter of the number of times I've been sigged.

  4. #4
    10/10 for being gyarados and having great artwork!
    Tyler A.
    9-3: seniors: 2 Championship Points
    Primetime Yanmega/Vileplume
    SSBB code: 4855-0003-7807

  5. #5
    Forum Moderator Regis_Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,339
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    24
    I'm guessing this is a rewind or flashback or something CotD addition because this guy came out back in FR/LG, not UD...anyways here we have Gyarados EX, a Pokemon that wasn't played even when legal. Statwise 130 HP is nice for a Stage 1 (which back then was high, nowdays you have regular Gyarados approaching or matching that total, remember this also costs you 2 prizes when KOed), x2 Weakness to wasn't good even back then, no Resistance is still common, and to Retreat is pricey. Twister is bad for for a mere 40 and the icky flip effect; you get to discard an Energy off the Defending for each Heads you get out of 2 coins, but if you flip double Tails, your attack does nothing. Dragon Rage is just plain bad at for just 100 damage and no other effects, even back then you looked stupid if you tried slapping 5 Energy onto this guy.

    Unlimited - 1/10 (As unplayable as it was the day it came out; bad Energy:Damage ratios and the EX effect just really dooms it)
    Shameless self-promotion:

    Interested in the VGC? Want to be the best you can be? Check out my VGC Teambuilding guide here:

    http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158669

  6. #6
    Forum Moderator sdrawkcab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,056
    Images
    5
    This guy had to fight against Zap-Turn-Dos and later, ZRE....with the 2x weakness and high energy cost, there was no way he'd see play then...or ever.

    Although he looks darn cool
    ~Mike~

  7. #7
    I asked for this one - YAY!

    At the 2005 world championships, i played a Gyarados EX/Milotic EX deck for the grinder. The key was to use "Ascension" on both Magikarp and Feebas to get up to the EX stage one early. This was during the time of the "T2 Medicham" were everybody was playing T2. I had a ton of fun with this and nobody saw it as a threat until it was to late. Went 3-2 (Would have been 4-1 if it was not for time being called)

    With 130 HP for a stage 1 was awesome, and the ability to cripple the active by removing energy along with the 40 damage was enough to keep medichams away - as they could not get the energy needed for their attacks. 75% of the time i was removing energy. sure, 25% was complete failure - but the massive HP gave me time to build up to Dragon Rage.

    Milotic EX set up for Gyarados very nicely - using gentle wrap to keep their active from retreating, and reflect energy to power gyarados for Dragon Rage when i needed the OHKO.

    In the current Unlimited games - 7/10. It can get up fast, and can keep energy away (if it stays attached) and the AWESOME hp means it may take a while for faster decks to get the KO (Minus things like Base electabuzz+Plus power+expert belt)

  8. #8
    I am not sure about the whole Gyarados ex for Unlimited. . . any solid stage 1 card nowadays with Wally's Training (Emerald) and Spritomb (Arceus) could be too much for this deck. It's an ex, which means it can't attach DRE or Scramble to it and it can barely abuse DCE with its second attack, boost energy with Dragon Rage could be nice though.
    Remember 9/11.

    "I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains."

    -Anne Frank

  9. #9
    Naturally, I have to hate this card because it is a gyarados. But then you look at it's stats....... And you hate it even more. Pretty much everything on this card is bad except for monster hp for a stage 1 (although that's easily outweighed by bad weakness and the 2 prize rule) and the artwork's really nice.

    Ehhh... 2/10
    Quote Originally Posted by ALEXARD View Post
    Porii Sames is the unbeatable example of how SPAM is done, learn from him before trying again.
    Team Topdeck - When skill just isn't enough

  10. #10
    Awesome artwork. Not-so-awesome attacks/hp/EX prize rule. Nope...

    3/10
    Quote Originally Posted by gallade View Post
    You guys do know baby mario is an ex-cop right? Just wanted to throw that out there before you give him your real name.
    Game Scenario Writer for ProPokemon.com
    Currently running ZekEels || ...my trades...

  11. #11
    Alert Alert!!! The Gyarados's are attacking!!! Awesome artwork and horrible attacks!!! 1/10 (Because I care much more about the effect of the card then the artwork).

  12. #12
    A retro review, eh? Well back in the day this was... not very good according to the Pojo reviews. Come to think of it, I don't really remember it much and that should have been during my more active time...

    Being Water was probably useful when it was Modified legal, would be useful if it were Modified legal now, and is useful for Unlimited. Being a Stage 1 is somewhat poor in Unlimited, because even more than contemporary Modified, you'll need something to accelerate your Evolution. I mean, Magikarp are not to be left unattended! That was probably part of why it was skipped back in the day. Since it was a Pokemon ex, it was worth two Prizes when KO'd. So the HP that is good in modern times was... actually reasonably good back then, just because power creep has been happening: a contemporary, plain Gyarados would range from 80 HP to about 100. If this were Modified Legal now, it'd be horrible. For Unlimited play, it is tolerable just because the average HP is lower (due to some older, brilliant cards), the higher damage yields (even bigger Pokemon are still within many attackers OHKO range), and Focus Band (making OHKOs only work half the time). Lightning Weakness x2 would be awful for modern Modified, wasn't pleasant back in the day and isn't any good for Unlimited either. The lack of Resistance was a major disappointment, though this wasn't the first to lack it, most Gyarados have Fighting Resistance at some level. This card happened to come in the middle of the "nothing" phase. The three Energy needed to Retreat was probably bad back in the day and is bad/would be bad now, since you do/you would face so much Trainer denial.

    Looking at the attacks... you'd have to run this with Energy acceleration to be any good in any format, because the first attack needs two Energy. Even if you run a Magikarp that can search out its Evolution and Evolve via an attack, you still want that as the fallback option, ergo you still need to be able to use the first attack as soon as possible. Hitting for 40 is weak by today's standards, but was reasonable good for a Stage 1 Pokemon ex back then, and the Energy removing effect was and still is welcome... just like the "double tails fails" still makes it too risky today like it did back then (for most players). The big attack is simply okay: 100 damage for five Energy and no drawbacks. This card can use Boost Energy, which if we didn't already need Energy acceleration to get the first attack going would be a real boon. As is, if you dump five Energy on it, its a decent beat stick, but for that much a lot of other Rain Dance partners (past and present) can do so much more.

    The only place to take this is in Limited, where despite having a bad Weakness and horrible opening Basic, it is really a good pull for the same reason as always: lower average damage, HP, and deck cohesion. It helps that the Magikarp in this set could search out Gyarados from your deck and automatically Evolve into it, even if you needed (WC) for the attack to do it.

    Ratings

    Unlimited: 2/10

    Limited: 8/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokepop View Post
    Subtlety is not Pokemon's strong suit.
    Too bad the real issue is one of clarity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •