Thread: 2011-11-23 NV Volcarona 021

CotD Editor
    Forum Moderator
    Images

2011-11-23 NV Volcarona 021

"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

2011-11-23 NV Volcarona 021
    Troll and Toad is NOT a Price Guide
    ☠ ☠ Trading Thread Sales Thread ☠ ☠
    Quote Originally Posted by PokePop View Post
    Sorry, you don't have a right to be annoying.

I like this card. 110 HP is slightly above average for a Stage 1 that doesn't evolve. Weakness isn't bad, but resistance is. 30 damage AND taking an energy from the discard pile for 1 energy is pretty good in my opinion. Heat Wave is great too, with it being DCE-able, and causing a burn on the opponent, AND 60 damage. Overall, pretty good card.

Modified - 8/10
    Limited - 8/10
    Unlimited - 6/10
    Last edited by Lost Zone Master; 11/23/2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Didn't realize Heat Wave was DCE-able
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz
    If I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have 2 nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?

Hp is average maybe 10 over average. Retreat and weakness are good. First attack is meh for me. We have Typhlosion who does that as his poke power. Second attack is too expensive and status conditions aren't that great in this format. 5/10
    Check out my Youtube Channel!
    Battles, Reviews, and Reports!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Pokebro921

Blog Entries
    Images
    Today's CotD is Volcarona from NV, which sadly doesn't capture its in-game awesomeness. Statwise 110 HP is nice for a Stage 1, x2 Weakness to is meh, no Resistance is common, and to Retreat is cheap. Fiery Dance is decent for , dealing 30 and letting you attach a basic Energy from your discard onto one of your Pokemon. Heat Wave is overpriced at for 60 and Burn.

Modified - 2/10 (In all honesty, when you have variations of Reshiboar and Tyram out there, there isn't really any place for a mediocre Stage 1 like Volcarona in today's environment)
    Limited - 7/10 (Solid choice for decks)
    Unlimited - 1/10 (No use at all here)
    Shameless self-promotion:

Interested in the VGC? Want to be the best you can be? Check out my VGC Teambuilding guide here:

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158669

This guy won me prerelease. It's an overall solid card. Unfortunately he's overshadowed by much more powerful fire types in the format.

4/10

Honestly, i don't see why THIS isn't the ideal stage 1 kind of card. DOnphan, Cinccino, Zoarark, Donphan, get OUT of my format! This thing has damaging energy acceleration, 1 retreat, 110 hp and a solid second attack with either its first attack or dce and status conditions. Power creep should creep away and go back to the Lost World it came from </3

Modified: 2/10
    Modified Modified to avoid powercreep: 8/10
    Limited: 8/10
    Unlimited: 0/10
    Top 8 at States, 3rd Regionals with Kicks from Brixton =D 2009
    2nd Regionals with DandyLions :D 2010
    Rec: 46-16 w/Vilegar (4 Cities TC, 2 Wins, 10th States, 4th Regs) =] 2011
    Top 8 with Gothitelle, Autumn Regionals :] 2011-2012 season