Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between "Pokémon-ex" and "Pokémon EX"?

Images

Difference between "Pokémon-ex" and "Pokémon EX"?

I'm sorry if this has already been covered before, but I never found the post that discussed it... But just what is the dfference between old skool "Pokémon-ex" and the new "Pokémon EX"? Everywhere I've looked, the only thing anyone ever said that separated the two was quote-unquote "gameplay mechanics", but frankly I don't think they knew what the words that were coming out of their mouth meant, because both Ex's use the same "KO = Two prizes" mechanic.

But perhaps I missed something here, so maybe someone here knows what the real diference is? Is it a technicality, as in cards that say "search your deck for a Pokémon-ex" can't be used to search for "Pokémon EX" cards?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss here, so any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
    PokemonAaah.net: Obscure, yet no less important, info about Pokémon (TCG print run info, Pokédex3D AR code maker, etc)

FUN FACT: Everyone who claims to be smart are really some of the dumbest people around. And I am the absolutely dumbest person I know; everyone else is smarter than me... including YOU!

Correct. They're pronounced separately in Japan, as well. One is ALL CAPS, one is not.
    The Yanmega Guy
    Fresno, California; Masters
    Yeah, I work for 6P

Images
    How "differetly" are they promoted in Japan? Like, does TPI say "this new Pokemon EX are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Pokémon-ex"? Or do they not even mention the old ex's and simply say "this is a new card type: Pokémon EX!". And even then, is "new" implied to be completetly new to the entire game, or simply new to the BW sets?

I mean, technically "Pokémon Tools" are a new mechanic.... new to the BW sets, sure, but tht's just a technicality.

EDIT: Oops, I thought you wrote "promoted", not "pronounced". In that case is it pronounced "Ee-Ecks" or "Eckss"? Is that the ONLY different thing about it?
    PokemonAaah.net: Obscure, yet no less important, info about Pokémon (TCG print run info, Pokédex3D AR code maker, etc)

FUN FACT: Everyone who claims to be smart are really some of the dumbest people around. And I am the absolutely dumbest person I know; everyone else is smarter than me... including YOU!

I think many of the old ex's were not basics (e.g. Blaziken ex, Swampert ex, Blastoise ex). Of course, there were some good basic ex's (Lugia ex). The new EX's seem to be all basics, at least thus far.

EXs also seem to be only Legendaries.
    I guess the "Gameplay" mechanics could refer to cards like Celio's Network(which couldn't grab Pokemon-ex) for the unlimited format. Could Celio's snag a Mewtwo EX now?

Images
    I don't think there is a difference. EX and ex are the same thing really. Celio should not be able to take the mewtwo because Celio says Pokemon ex and Mewtwo is still a Pokemon ex. it should not matter if it's ex, EX or Ex.
    Times like this make you wish you had Energy Switch.

We'll have to wait for a ruling on whether there is a difference between -ex and EX when it comes to cards like Celio and DRE.

All depends on how the Japanese card designers want it to work.
    Read my article on Blastoise/Keldeo please
    UK National Seniors Champion '10 || Worlds Competitor '08, 09, '10, '11
    Worlds 2012 Top 32 Masters Division
    YOU/USEDTO_B E A_LRIGHT_AT/POKE_MON WHAT /HA_PPENED

Quote Originally Posted by darth_vader View Post
    I think many of the old ex's were not basics (e.g. Blaziken ex, Swampert ex, Blastoise ex). Of course, there were some good basic ex's (Lugia ex). The new EX's seem to be all basics, at least thus far.
    Actually, that's just coincidence. All of the exs in ex Ruby and Sapphire (the first set with ex cards) were basics as well, then they became Stage 1s later.

Quote Originally Posted by honchvire View Post
    EXs also seem to be only Legendaries.
    I would bet that this is simply coincidence. Pokemon would be making a huge mistake if they didn't make EX varients of the Black and White Starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mune View Post
    William Hung played this card. She-bang
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyFigter View Post
    Pokemon National Championships: the only North American event you must walk through jail to get to.

I think this has a lot of far-reaching implications or unlimited - especially for cards such as Desert Ruins and DRE (as said above).

Here's to hoping that PCL considers them "essentially" the same thing.
    Recent Tournament Placement:

1st place, 2003 Sandstorm Prerelease (UNDEFEATED)
    18th place: Fall 2012 Tomball Battle Road (3-3)
    23rd place: 2007 Oklahoma State Championship (2-3)

Images
    Here is the sum total difference between Pokemon ex and Pokemon EX.
    Pokemon ex has the letters in lower case and it is pronounced "Poke-aa-mon echs".
    Pokemon EX has the letters in upper case and it is pronounced "Poke-aa-mon eee echs".

That's it.
    Different name, so you can have 4 Mewtwo ex and 4 Mewtwo EX in the same deck.
    Things that affect ex Pokemon don't effect EX Pokemon.

Originality? Fail.
    But there it is.
    Rules Team Member / Member of Team Compendium - The Pokemon Rulings Compendium - Co-Owner of PokeGym.net
    Premiere Tournament Organizer
    Invited to Judge every US National Championship and World Championship
    Masters Head Judge TCG World Championship 2010 - Seniors Head Judge US Nationals 2009

^ Sad to hear, but glad to know it in advance. D:

(...Guess it's time to give that Dark Vileplume/Mewtwo-EX/Ancient Tomb deck a whirl.)
    Recent Tournament Placement:

1st place, 2003 Sandstorm Prerelease (UNDEFEATED)
    18th place: Fall 2012 Tomball Battle Road (3-3)
    23rd place: 2007 Oklahoma State Championship (2-3)

Content Developer
    Blog Admin
    Contest Host
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PokePop View Post
    Originality? Fail.
    But there it is.
    I see it as TPC not letting their crummy past mistakes hold them back from perfecting a good concept.

EXs are perfect for Legendary Pokemon. It gives them the HP and attack power they deserve without breaking the prize/power ratio.

The past exs were failures in my opinion because pokemon like Lapras was made an ex, stage 2s like Blaziken, and stage 1s like Espeon. It had no real focus, or theme, it was just, "hey, lets make a bunch of pokemon exs" when they really didn't need to be, to be well represented.

Legends were a good try. People couldn't start with the Legend, which seemed appropriate, but it did seem weird at times to get them out.

I really like the current state of EXs. Only Legendary Pokemon seems appropriate. More HP, more damage, is nice. Double weakness is the where the developers give the EXs a flaw. Even with 180HP, weakness allows for some realistic knock outs if you have the weakness.

It's unfortunate there may be some unusual wordings, some that may lead to confusion. But I like the new version of the EX (ex).

Images
    I'm sorry but basic EX Pokemon that are over powered and over centralize the meta and makes all other cards unplayable are bad for the game.

Let's just hope they follow up the Legendary pokemon EX by making at least a bunch of pseudo-legendary pokemon (like the stage 2 dragons, metagross, et al.) into pokemon EX too. That way we can see some monstrous stage 2 juggernauts with well over 200 HP, etc. :3
    From Pojo's forum: "you sacrifice synergy to be playing electrodes and rayquazas in a blaziken deck as it is. it isn't broken enough"

Quote Originally Posted by vaporeon
    However, in a game where you can play 4 of everything, a side deck seems almost worthless

Images
    It would be nice because as it stands, Zekrom ex and Reshiram ex kill every attacker in the game.

Here is the sum total difference between Pokemon ex and Pokemon EX.
    Pokemon ex has the letters in lower case and it is pronounced "Poke-aa-mon echs".
    Pokemon EX has the letters in upper case and it is pronounced "Poke-aa-mon eee echs".
    "Poke-ay-mon echs/eee echs"

Images
    ex and EX are the same to me. No one ever said Pokemon X, everyone said ex but if thats how they want it, then fine by me.

Guys, I'm pretty sure the different ways of pronouncing it is only applicable in Japan, not here, since we've always called it E.X. Japan has not, however.
    Follow me on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/xRaen

My Pokemon TCG YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/raenpokemon

Images
    Different name, so you can have 4 Mewtwo ex and 4 Mewtwo EX in the same deck.
    Things that affect ex Pokemon don't effect EX Pokemon.
    So, I can have 4 Ho-oh's and 4 Ho-Oh's?

If this is indeed true, it's the first time upper/lower case has made a difference in a card's name.

Moomoo Milk and MooMoo Milk is another example of the same cards with different upper/lower case.

And what about Prof. Oak's Research and Professor Oak's Research? Are they going to make different punctuations as different cards too?
    Pre-Y2K Pokemon player, collector addict!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    So, I can have 4 Ho-oh's and 4 Ho-Oh's?

If this is indeed true, it's the first time upper/lower case has made a difference in a card's name.

Moomoo Milk and MooMoo Milk is another example of the same cards with different upper/lower case.

And what about Prof. Oak's Research and Professor Oak's Research? Are they going to make different punctuations as different cards too?
    Again, it's entirely about the Japanese versions of the names and cards, not our translations. Japan doesn't have upper or lower case letters at all in their language, while we do. So while this seems odd to us, it makes sense to them, and that's what matters.
    Follow me on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/xRaen

My Pokemon TCG YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/raenpokemon

^This is true, but ex and EX are both in roman characters on the Japanese cards, so the point still stands. I would read ex and EX as the same thing personally, preventing 4 mewtwo ex and 4 mewtwo EX from being played. As SteveP pointed out, this would cause a world of problems if capitals started mattering in deck lists. They really should have either remaned the mechanic or kept it as-is (ex). I understand that they want to call back to the old ex cards (which got me excited), but having issues like this is a pain. I doubt we'll hear anything about this on release, because... let's be honest... unlimited doesn't matter. This is an unlimited-only problem, so it really doesn't matter too much... it won't make or break someone's tournament... so eh.
    Self proclaimed "Best Pokemon Player That is Unable to Count"
    Quote Originally Posted by MyName View Post
    I will miss MD - BW. Those were the Golden Ages of the Pokemon TCG... T_T

SableDonk players are now my personal heroes. To your happiness and health, SableDonk users!

Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    The new type is also hyphenated when referred to, "Pokémon-EX", like the old ones. I note in your post/thread title you've not done this.

So you can't use the hyphen to differentiate between rulings.
    Actually the hyphen is actually part of the name this time around.

In any case why does it really matter if you can play 4 Mewtwo-EX and Mewtwo ex. exs aren't in the current format, and even then there's several years between them and they have different templates than the original exs. No one is going to get them confused...unless they're trying to do something...shady.

They're the same, so what? It's a good mechanic and is a welcome addition IMO.
    Q. Can I use Rotom's "Mischievous Trick" Poke-POWER when I have no cards in my deck, to put a Prize card into my deck?
    A. No, you can't. That would be far too mischievous. (HS:Undaunted FAQ; Sep 9, 2010 PUI Rules Team)
    Basic Rule of Thumb: If something creates a situation that is too good to be true (Mime in immune to ALL damage), it is too good to be true.

I think it's a HUGE mistake for Japan to bring back Pokemon ex in this format especially when it's already overun by the 3 Big Dragons (Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem) especially the 3 Musketeer Pokemon to add along with it.

Why is that? Cause it makes Stage 2's almost pointless to play aside from Magnezone which is the best in the format right now. It's like the TCG has become less about evolving and more about playing as many Basics as you can just to beat face for little energy and games usually end way too fast...

I miss MD-On, this format could be so much better... >_>

Images
    I don't think a MD on format would help any at all. BW is just so different from the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Poke Trainer J View Post
    I think it's a HUGE mistake for Japan to bring back Pokemon ex in this format especially when it's already overun by the 3 Big Dragons (Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem) especially the 3 Musketeer Pokemon to add along with it.

Why is that? Cause it makes Stage 2's almost pointless to play aside from Magnezone which is the best in the format right now. It's like the TCG has become less about evolving and more about playing as many Basics as you can just to beat face for little energy and games usually end way too fast...

I miss MD-On, this format could be so much better... >_>

MD-on was hardly the shining example of an evolution-friendly format.
    Read my article on Blastoise/Keldeo please
    UK National Seniors Champion '10 || Worlds Competitor '08, 09, '10, '11
    Worlds 2012 Top 32 Masters Division
    YOU/USEDTO_B E A_LRIGHT_AT/POKE_MON WHAT /HA_PPENED

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast