Thread: 2012-03-01 BWP33 Riolu

CotD Editor
    Forum Moderator
    Images

2012-03-01 BWP33 Riolu

"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

2012-03-01 BWP33 Riolu
    Troll and Toad is NOT a Price Guide
    ☠ ☠ Trading Thread Sales Thread ☠ ☠
    Quote Originally Posted by PokePop View Post
    Sorry, you don't have a right to be annoying.

CotD Editor
    Forum Moderator
    Images
    Great Riolu! Hope we get an equally great Lucario soon...

7/10 in and of itself

With this card, Sui is officially my favorite new artist. I envy James Turner's accomplishment, but Sui's art is consistently top notch!
    Troll and Toad is NOT a Price Guide
    ☠ ☠ Trading Thread Sales Thread ☠ ☠
    Quote Originally Posted by PokePop View Post
    Sorry, you don't have a right to be annoying.

Tote's want this to add a 2/2 lucario CL line into Mew Prime...
    2nd Place Pacific NW Regionals 2011 w/ Regigigas
    2011 Pokemon World Championship Competitor
    Full Holo Goth Deck for BRs: Check

Regigigas EX - Let the testing begin...

Never gonna run around and desert you? Apparently this guy will, though 6/10

This is slightly better than the average evolving Basic, has great art, and shiny promo-ness.

Lucario needs to step up.
    Read my article on Blastoise/Keldeo please
    UK National Seniors Champion '10 || Worlds Competitor '08, 09, '10, '11
    Worlds 2012 Top 32 Masters Division
    YOU/USEDTO_B E A_LRIGHT_AT/POKE_MON WHAT /HA_PPENED

Stats
    We have a 60 HP Basic Fighting Pokemon whose primary purpose is to Evolve and whose secondary purpose is to desperately attack because something prevented it from Evolving. 60 HP is as low as I want to see on a Basic that can only Evolve once, and personally I'd rather it was 70 for that reason.

Being a Fighting Type doesn't give it any useful support but at least it could smack something with Weakness reasonably hard using the second attack. Psychic Weakness doesn't matter too much, since it was probably a OHKO for most Psychic attackers that see play anyway. No Resistance is disappointing but common. The single Energy Retreat Cost is also fairly common on Evolving Basic Pokemon, and if you have reason to run Skyarrow Bridge (since it wouldn't make sense for a Riolu you were going to Evolve anyway), you'll enjoy a free Retreat Cost. Otherwise it isn't too painful to manually retreat anyway.

Effects
    First attack lets it hide its pretty self on the Bench. Seems a bit weak for (C) (if we still had zero Energy attacks, that would be a good one), but hey, if you can't Evolve and are stuck Active, it's practical. Hook actually hits for about five more points of damage than the Energy invested into the attack, and for an Evolving Basic that is solid. You don't want to attack with it, but if it had to finish something off, it probably could.

Usage
    For now, looking gorgeous in your binder. Protect it! There are actually three other Riolu to pick from, all of which are Basic Fighting-Type Pokemon with Psychic Weakness, no Resistance, and single Energy Retreat Costs. For () Call of Legends 50/95 can hit for 20. It technically can't attack the next turn, but odds are you'll be KOed so it won't matter, and if you do survive you're going to Evolve anyway, unless your luck is abysmal.

HS: Unleashed 60/95 has the same stats as today's card, but for () hits for 10 (technically fair and yet less useful) and for () can flip two coins and do 20 per "heads". I'll be honest, since you are rather desperate attacking with it for damage, I would prefer to take my chances with the coins and maybe score 80 against something that was Fighting Weak.

BW: Next Destinies 63/99 has 70 HP, but the two worst attacks: another 10 for () and the big attack is a 10/30 split for (). Still, 10 extra HP is nice, though meaningless against something like Mewtwo EX, Reshiram, or Zekrom.

You know, I don't know which version I'd use... today's is probably the prettiest of the effective ones, at least. Unfortunately none of the Modified legal Lucario strike me as worth playing unless you're a Lucario fan.

Ratings

Unlimited: 7/10

Modified: 7/10

Limited: N/A, but if a similar version were printed I'd actually score it 6/10 again, since it'd just need a little Fighting Energy in the deck to make a decent splash. Fighting Weakness is common enough to be worth it.

Summary
    Oh so pretty, and scored for it's rankings amongst other Riolu and not for how useful Lucario itself would be (it would lower the scores by two to four points).

Still, very nice art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokepop View Post
    Subtlety is not Pokemon's strong suit.
    Too bad the real issue is one of clarity.

Blog Entries
    Images
    Here we have Riolu from the BW Promo series...well it's not like anyone's using its evolution, Lucario, that much really. Statwise 60 HP is average for a Basic, x2 Weakness to is meh, no Resistance is common, and to Retreat is cheap. Run Around is fairly pointless unless you're forced to start with him, otherwise just to Retreat while keeping an Energy on him is kinda lame. Hook is a tad pricey at for 30, but not that bad considering it's a pre-evo.

Modified - 1/10 - Not that great, and it doesn't offer any reason to play it. Even its evolution, Lucario, is meh and not used, so no reason to use this

Limited - 0/10 - Promo card duh

Unlimited - 1/10 - No use here either, weak and easy to KO in a format where its evolution may as well not exist
    Shameless self-promotion:

Interested in the VGC? Want to be the best you can be? Check out my VGC Teambuilding guide here:

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158669