Thread: Need info on an odd Piplup

CotD Editor
    Forum Moderator
    Images

Need info on an odd Piplup

Does anyone know anything about this Piplup? The description says it's San Diego ComiCon, but I've never seen a SDCC logo even remotely like that stamp. Any help would be appreciated!
    Troll and Toad is NOT a Price Guide
    ☠ ☠ Trading Thread Sales Thread ☠ ☠
    Quote Originally Posted by PokePop View Post
    Sorry, you don't have a right to be annoying.

This card was originally released in the Diamond & Pearl expansion with artwork by Ken Sugimori. In March 2007, a holographic variant of this print was one of the cards available in the US Spring 2007 Collector's Tins as a special sneak preview before the actual release of the expansion. It was subsequently released outside the US in Special Edition Blister Packs later that year. This holographic variant was released again in the Piplup Classic Trio Box in January 2009, as well as being made available in several European countries as part of various Summer tour events taking place between July and October 2009.
    Another holographic variant was released at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2007. This print features a gold foil globe with "San Diego '07" in the bottom right corner of the artwork. The card was also later reprinted in the Diamond & Pearl Trainer Kit. A promotional parallel foil variant with a "Diamond & Pearl" stamp was also released as part of a Burger King promotion in July 2008. In Japan, the card was reprinted as a promotional mini card as part of a 7-Eleven Poké Ball Lottery campaign in March 2007. This version, measuring 4.5cm × 6.5cm, was randomly packaged with certain 7-Eleven products in select stores.
    The card was reprinted with different artwork by Atsuko Nishida as a DP Black Star Promo. It was released in June 2007 in Diamond & Pearl Blister Packs. The Japanese version was released through a Meiji Chocolate promotion in February 2007. It was reprinted again in POP Series 6 with different artwork by Atsuko Nishida, the Japanese version available through a trade event at the 25th Next Generation World Hobby Fair in January 2007. Holographic variants of the POP Series 6 print were released in June 2008 in Turtwig Starter Blister Packs, and again in August 2008 in the Diamond & Pearl Collection Set. The card was reprinted yet again in POP Series 8 with different artwork by Atsuko Nishida, the Japanese version available through a McDonald's promotion in May 2007.

From Bulbapedia. I ended up acquiring one of these a while back and this was all i could find on it. hope it helps

Images
    Myself and Scott wrote an article about this on UPCCC.

To sum up:

- This was given out to vendors at Comic Con 2007
    - 2008 had a Turtwig and 2009 had a Muchlax, these were the only three years that had them
    - Only 6 copies of each were ever made, confirmed by higher ups
    - These were never publicised when they were given out
    - The user who uploaded that picture owns that Piplup
    - One complete set is owned by another private collector

One of the rarest English cards out there.

Images
    What's the estimated value on that or the other ones you mentioned?
    Have any been sold, that is known?
    Rules Team Member / Member of Team Compendium - The Pokemon Rulings Compendium - Co-Owner of PokeGym.net
    Premiere Tournament Organizer
    Invited to Judge every US National Championship and World Championship
    Masters Head Judge TCG World Championship 2010 - Seniors Head Judge US Nationals 2009

I knew that Spookes had them a year ago for 6000, I think she sold them but i am not sure

Images
    A set did sell. I do not know if the buyer wants to make the price public. They went for a substantial amount of money.

This card is amazing. Has this card sold for more than $10,000? A huge question I have is what is rarer, Base Set Pre-release Raichu or this Piplup?
    Thank you to Mike Boozer for announcing that The Error Raichu in Base set Exist. He was also nice enough to give a picture of it.
    Sealed Jungle and Base Set packs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokeplayer101 View Post
    This card is amazing. Has this card sold for more than $10,000? A huge question I have is what is rarer, Base Set Pre-release Raichu or this Piplup?
    Probably this card, from what they say above, but that doesn't really matter.

Something's value is determined by "Supply" AND "Demand".

The demand for PR Raichu is MUCH higher.

Heck, until today, I didn't even know about this card to desire it!
    Rules Team Member / Member of Team Compendium - The Pokemon Rulings Compendium - Co-Owner of PokeGym.net
    Masters Head Judge TCG World Championship 2010 - Seniors Head Judge US Nationals 2009

Blog Entries
    Images
    'given to vendors at SDCC' by *who*?

i work in the TPCi booth at SDCC every year, and have never heard of these...

'mom
    SD area players: join the Play! Pokemon San Diego facebook group for local event info!
    League Leader, San Diego Games and Comics / PTO, San Diego CA
    My eyes being hindered by blind passions, I cannot perceive the light that grasps me;
    Yet the great compassion, without tiring, Illumines me always.
    Namuamidabutsu...

CotD Editor
    Forum Moderator
    Images
    I think they may have the wrong comicon series credited. What with the logo and the fact that the other two cam from coms in other parts of the country, it looks more likely to be Wizard World me. Is that possible DJ?
    Troll and Toad is NOT a Price Guide
    ☠ ☠ Trading Thread Sales Thread ☠ ☠
    Sorry, you don't have a right to be annoying.

Images
    Well, since the image was uploaded by PokeMeBob, I'd say he'd be a good one to ask regarding who gave it out to who.

Probably this card, from what they say above, but that doesn't really matter.

Something's value is determined by "Supply" AND "Demand".

The demand for PR Raichu is MUCH higher.

Heck, until today, I didn't even know about this card to desire it!
    I can see what you mean. Since all the Raichu are scattered and only one person owns them all. Just make sure you keep your eyes peeled to ebay.
    Thank you to Mike Boozer for announcing that The Error Raichu in Base set Exist. He was also nice enough to give a picture of it.

Images
    PokeMeBob said to us that it was Comic Con, but he may have been wrong. Either way he should have more info if he wishes to share it.

Piplup is from San Diego 07, Turtwig is New York 08, Munchlax is Chicago 09. I guess whichever cons match up with those would make most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DJGigabyte View Post
    PokeMeBob said to us that it was Comic Con, but he may have been wrong. Either way he should have more info if he wishes to share it.

Piplup is from San Diego 07, Turtwig is New York 08, Munchlax is Chicago 09. I guess whichever cons match up with those would make most sense.
    If I knew it was in Chicago then I knew I could have gotten one for maybe $100. If only. :(

Images
    If I knew it was in Chicago then I knew I could have gotten one for maybe $100. If only. :(
    Just an all around no. You could add a zero to that and still be short.

The cards in question here were all promotional cards given by TPCi corporate to it's distribution partners at the yearly Distributor Meetings. The foil logo indicates the place and year of the meeting, it has nothing to do with a convention.

I cannot comment on how many of each card was produced, but the distribution of those cards was limited.

Thank you,
    Professor Dav

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Dav View Post
    The cards in question here were all promotional cards given by TPCi corporate to it's distribution partners at the yearly Distributor Meetings. The foil logo indicates the place and year of the meeting, it has nothing to do with a convention.

I cannot comment on how many of each card was produced, but the distribution of those cards was limited.

Thank you,
    Professor Dav
    Thanks for the info. But do you even know how many were printed or are you just not allowed to say how many were printed?

Thanks for the info. But do you even know how many were printed or are you just not allowed to say how many were printed?
    He, or someone else does know, but they're not allowed to say. That'd be my guess.

Blog Entries
    Images
    um, if the TPCi folks say they can't talk about it, they can't...we were actually lucky to get this much info IMHO.

'mom
    SD area players: join the Play! Pokemon San Diego facebook group for local event info!
    League Leader, San Diego Games and Comics / PTO, San Diego CA
    My eyes being hindered by blind passions, I cannot perceive the light that grasps me;
    Yet the great compassion, without tiring, Illumines me always.
    Namuamidabutsu...

at least we know how certain people obtained it better than having it being guessed or not knowing at all.

Images
    Since these cards weren't released through standard means, there isn't any established way of referring to them.

Therefore, I motion that from now on these promos be referred to as the "Distributor Promos".

All those in favour, Thank this post.