Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is The RAREST ENGLISH Pokemon Card

What Is The RAREST ENGLISH Pokemon Card

My vote (ofcourse;) would go to the:

"No Stage, Square Cut" Blastoise.

What do you all think???

rarest or most valuable? Have to contrast those 2 terms because a card can be rare, but not as valuable and a card can be valuable but not as rare.

Images
    Are we including one-of-a-kind errors? Cause then it can be all over the place. Or are we just talking about cards that have the possibility to be numbered in more than 1?

Quote Originally Posted by elam18 View Post
    rarest or most valuable? Have to contrast those 2 terms
    Can somebody read the title to Elam? Lol. Jk dude...

LOL why so mean, gary? So just rare, not most valuable..

---------- Post added 04/30/2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

I still think it's that hitmonlee with the cigar label printed on it

Quote Originally Posted by Daelum View Post
    Are we including one-of-a-kind errors? Cause then it can be all over the place. Or are we just talking about cards that have the possibility to be numbered in more than 1?
    Rarest meaning 1 of 1s and then the most valuable of the 1 of 1s.
    For example PreRaichus would be more valuable but not the rarest amongst KNOWN cards cause I believe more than one is documented?

---------- Post added 04/30/2013 at 09:04 PM ----------

LOL why so mean, gary? So just rare, not most valuable..

---------- Post added 04/30/2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

I still think it's that hitmonlee with the cigar label printed on it
    Reasonable pick Elam...

I know why Gary picked
    "No Stage, Square Cut" Blastoise

Show us a picture of your awesome card ;D

I would say the Base Set Sample Set thought I don't know how many sets there actually is. its impossible to accuire a set. Second would be the Pre-release Raichu. We can't be sure whats the rarest card because there are many cards that never got released and there are copies hidden away somewhere.

I know why Gary picked
    "No Stage, Square Cut" Blastoise

Show us a picture of your awesome card ;D
    Lol...
    I don't know how to post pictures on here. I don't think the gym lets me?

Do you mean Base Set Test Sheet or are you talking about the expedition base set sample set? If you're talking about the expedition base set sample set, I know someone that owns a complete PSA 10 set.

---------- Post added 04/30/2013 at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by garyis2000 View Post
    Lol...
    I don't know how to post pictures on here. I don't think the gym lets me?
    It does... but you can't upload high quality pictures on gym since there's a file size limit. What you can do is upload it to photobucket.com (account is free) and post a link on here. and if you really want to post it on gym.. Right click the picture you uploaded on photobucket and save it to your desktop and then you can upload it to gym. But usually I do a photobucket.

Do you mean Base Set Test Sheet or are you talking about the expedition base set sample set?
    There is a Base set unlimited sample set which has Sample written over each card in white text. There is a collector in Michigan who has one set. I assume WOTC has a set since they have a copy of every card printed supposedly its probably not the rarest set but the hardest to obtain.

Can you provide pictures? Because you have trolled here before and not sure if you're trolling again.

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175462

This thread is ridiculous. My base set Raticate signed by me is the rarest card ever just like every other card mentioned. And value is subjective, I value my Raticate in the millions, others say pennies.

If we're talking English cards, we're talking Prerelease Raichu. A card of legends and dreams which is the Pokemon card of Pokemon cards, no matter how many exist.

Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. My base set Raticate signed by me is the rarest card ever just like every other card mentioned. And value is subjective, I value my Raticate in the millions, others say pennies.

If we're talking English cards, we're talking Prerelease Raichu. A card of legends and dreams which is the Pokemon card of Pokemon cards, no matter how many exist.
    now I want a raticate signed by you. i hope it's a base set raticate

Would love to actually see and touch a pre/raichu. Until I do, I wouldn't rate it the rarest. Some on here believe there's 4. Years ago, there were a dozen. But....none have ever come up for sale.
    No one has ever seen my Blastoise before plus it's actually up for sale and available. Now the cigar card is a close call:)

I think its my Ninetales missing the damage for the second attack.
    Bidoof is the man

I'm honestly not trying to be senile haha, but I consider a rare card which hasn't seen your hands to be rarer than something you have in posession. Not by that logic, however. But by the logic of dismissing your logic.

It is not fair to assume something doesn't exist simply because you have never seen one haha. Or to dismiss it simply because you've never had the luxury of feeling it.

Your Blastoise is very cool, and I collect a lot of error cards, but I wouldn't pay a dime over $500 for it. It is simply a one-off misprint card, being that there is likely only one, and it is unique. The sale price of all the other one-off misprints tells you something; the price of the "cigar card", the cards with their holo portions displaced, severe miscuts, etc. Very niche items with a niche price. I'd love to see what the cigar card went for when/if it sold, but no way it's getting into prerai territory
    Last edited by cbd1235; 05/01/2013 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    My base set Raticate signed by me is the rarest card ever.
    Will be my signature~ because it is indeed the rarest card haha

Id prefer not knocking other people's choices on this post. Lets just state our choice and the defense thereof.
    Cbd@ if only your opinion mattered this would be the UPCBD site and we'd all be reading your blogs;)

Does the Prerelease Charizard really exist? And I at least want a link to see the error Blastoise.
    Team Magma/Team Aqua Forever

I don't usually use a filter before I post so a lot of what I say may come across condescending or something along those lines. I apologize. I'm not trying to knock your choice, or anyone's for that matter. I just don't understand what the point of this thread was, unless it was to show off your very rare Blastoise.

Rarity is interesting to dispute as there are infinite different unique collectibles. It's hard to discuss the rarest card based on sheer numbers for that reason. That's why we tend to discuss rarity with desirability with availability all encompassed into one "value" type of measure.

I promise I don't expect people to care or listen to my opinions, and I promise I value all of your insight and opinions, and those of others. I have the utmost respect for you. I just ramble what's on my mind here haha.
    Last edited by cbd1235; 05/01/2013 at 03:12 PM.

Now to answer this without giving a sentimental valued opinion.

The question was indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by garyis2000 View Post
    What Is The RAREST ENGLISH Pokemon Card
    Rarest being the superlative towards rare.

Definition of rare
    adjective (rarer, rarest)
    (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.

Although cards like the 'No Stage, Square Cut Blastoise' and 'Cigar Label Hitmonlee' are rare like Daelum said, they are (believed to be) a one-off. These cards should be classified within their own miscellaneous bracket and not with cards like the Sample Set mentioned by Elam18.

I'm surprised as to why no-one has yet pointed out the more obvious cards like the 'World Championship No. 1, 2 and 3' cards from 2004-present.

"There are only three copies of each annual version produced."

Although the number of Pre-Release Raichu cards are disputed and completely speculative, the general consensus is ~4. Making the World Championship cards rarer than the Pre-Release Raichu. (Until proven otherwise).

Their may be cards which are unknown to me and/or are rarer than the World Championship prize cards however, I do not follow up on the English side of the TCG. I would just like to point out that as a confirmed fact we know that the World Championship prize cards, 3 copies were given out. Which I believe should hold a top-tier spot on this list if not the peak.

Just to clarify, I was correcting a member's post because he said the base set sample set ... asked which one. I picked the cigar label hitmonlee as the rare card of my choice.

Images
    I have been watching this one for awhile, and I would have to agree that the Pika trophies are the rarest confirmed cards.

I was told by someone who has worked with WOTC since the beginning and still currently works for Nintendo that there were 12 Pre Raichus printed. He also was the one who told me the full story about the sample set. If the mods or the staff want to pm me to verify the source, please do. I normally would write the name but I don't know if he wants it posted publicly.

Regardless, the Pika trophies are the rarest confirmed English card.
    Last edited by smpratte; 05/01/2013 at 03:29 PM.

Images
    The rarest card that I own is a Base Set shadowless Charizard signed by Mitsuhiro Arita which I have combined with a picture of me playing a game of Pokemon TCG with him.

I agree with CBD that "most valuable" is a more meaningful category to discuss as it encompasses a range of factors, including rarity, to come up with a more meaningful determination.
    Rules Team Member / Member of Team Compendium - The Pokemon Rulings Compendium - Co-Owner of PokeGym.net
    Premiere Tournament Organizer
    Invited to Judge every US National Championship and World Championship
    Masters Head Judge TCG World Championship 2010 - Seniors Head Judge US Nationals 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast