Thread: Can't figure something about my computer

Images

Can't figure something about my computer

On one of my computers (It's Windows XP), when displaying things, the screen shows faint gray lines protruding from everything like graphics and lists. Does anybody know why this is happening? Is it my video card? I'm pretty sure it isn't my monitor because whenever I looked at it on three other computers, I never noticed this. This just buggs me a bit. Thanks in advance! If you need to know more, please just ask

Try reinstalling/updating the drivers for the graphics card. Go to the manufacturer's website and look for the newest drivers for your graphics card, download and run them.

Also, what type of graphics card do you have?

Images
    Thanks for the help. I was thinking about trying that, but wasn't sure.

This is what my computer says my Video Card is:

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)

I would suggest to also check your Monitor's screen refresh rate.

Right click on your desktop, click on properties, click on the settings tab, then click advance, then click the Monitor to change the refresh rate, and make sure that is is set at 75 Hetrz.
    Ryan Patterson
    Central Ohio PTO
    1st Place Dayton, Ohio Spring Battle Roads 2011
    Last Place 2011 Professor Cup
    Top 8 Chardon, Ohio Cities 2012

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentP View Post
    I would suggest to also check your Monitor's screen refresh rate.

Right click on your desktop, click on properties, click on the settings tab, then click advance, then click the Monitor to change the refresh rate, and make sure that is is set at 75 Hetrz.
    Thanks for that one. I have another computer where it scrolls really choppy and slow. That is probably the problem on that one. I'll try that!

Images
    You could also try smashing it and buying a Mac. Then the only computer problems you would have would be it being too awsome.
    Accomplishments:
    I have fun at tournaments.
    But for reals, I haven't won anything yet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muninn View Post
    You could also try smashing it and buying a Mac. Then the only computer problems you would have would be it being too awsome.
    I already have a mac and I love it. I'm just haveing troubles with my Windows computer that I want to use since it has a bigger screen. Very good advice though.

I was able to solve the problem with the computer that had the low refresh rate. Now I have that one connected to my TV. It is so cool having dual monitors. (It turned out that that video card didn't even have the manufactures driver, it was just using some default setting)

The next time I buy a new computer (like for college), I am definetely getting a high end Mac.

I updated the the driver for the one showing the gray lines and it didn't do anything.

Let's check the hardware now.

Download the free trial of Passmark's BurnIn Test (30 days free)
    http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

Run at least the video memory test. Let it run a couple of cycles.

Images
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was looking through my computer parts and found another video card. I put it in and I no longer have the streaking problem.

I think there was just something wrong with that card! The other computer is still working great although the internet is a bit slower on it for some reason despite is higher specs. hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mew* View Post
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was looking through my computer parts and found another video card. I put it in and I no longer have the streaking problem.

I think there was just something wrong with that card! The other computer is still working great although the internet is a bit slower on it for some reason despite is higher specs. hmm.
    Good to know, from the start it sounded like the gpu was going bad. You play alot of games?