Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a Fake Pokémon Card

Images
    I'd day that it's unlikely that a Power Seller would rip someone off on purpose.
    However, I've seen the packaging for these fakes.
    The boxes and packs look very good.
    I don't know if I could tell them apart from the real thing myself!

I'd recommend either buying singles or boxes online.
    You can see the single ahead of time, and the box should have a Pokeball imprint on it.
    I'll scan what that looks like and add it to the article.
    If the Pokeball is not on the shrinkwrap, the box is a fake.

Don't buy loose packs onliine for two reasons:
    1. You can't tell if they're fake until after they are opened
    2. They could be "scaled", where the heavier packs wtih the holo cards have been sorted out and removed.
    Rules Team Member / Member of Team Compendium - The Pokemon Rulings Compendium - Co-Owner of PokeGym.net
    Premiere Tournament Organizer
    Invited to Judge every US National Championship and World Championship
    Masters Head Judge TCG World Championship 2010 - Seniors Head Judge US Nationals 2009

this is a little off topic , but some of the legit cards are of poor quality as well . What about that (ie reverse holons with lines on them, dark print on some lighter print on others )
    "Especially when the added clarity makes things less clear. ,....Play as printed" died in the same room with Wizards of the Coast's contract. "Play as intended" is the current philosophy, and will remain so...."
    "Remember when the game took skill to win.?!. id rather be psychic locked for an entire game than to lose before I could get a chance to even to play ."

Images
    That's why I didn't give any of those features as ways of telling fakes.
    Rules Team Member / Member of Team Compendium - The Pokemon Rulings Compendium - Co-Owner of PokeGym.net
    Masters Head Judge TCG World Championship 2010 - Seniors Head Judge US Nationals 2009

I had bought a box of fakes at christmas time. The box was a perfect copy and the packs could not be figured out by the wrapper because they were perfect. Had I seen the article before hand I would have thought about the pokeball print onthe shrink wrap. That would have been the only thing to give it away. The cards were obvious and they were from all different sets.
    DOCJR

A third reason not to buy loose boosters is that there's less chance of getting Ex, Level X and TSD type pulls if they've already been pulled by the seller, whose working on the likely amounts of those already pulled from a box, leaving the other boosters as likely low yielding, and to be sold to unsuspecting punters.

One of the members of the league I go to got 2 things for Chrissy: PBR and a Box of DP4. He started to open his packs and the first thing he pulled was a fake Gyarados star printed on a block wood the size of both of his thumbs.

These cheapos will go to extreme lengths.
    This is what happens when people read broken cards while they drive:
    Quote Originally Posted by baby mario View Post
    'Well, officer, I just thought about using Expert Belt and Tyranitar to do 50 damage to the Bench and I . . . ummm . . . seem to have lost control of the vehicle . . . '
    Prize Card Penalty, thank you very much Mr. Driver!

Thanks for the warning. I'm able to tell the difference between a fake card and a real card straight away!

[edit: Please don't quote the entire huge article into your reply]
    Last edited by PokePop; 01/10/2008 at 05:19 AM.
    Girafarig-chan
    Pokefan

Images
    Updated the article with a fake foil card and the image of a real, sealed box.

Talking

This will help my trades a lot more. Thanks pop I usually don't see any good posts anymore but this is the most interesting. I was at the flee-market last year and they had counterfeit cards but were selling them for the same price as regular cards so don't get fooled by price!

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

This will help my trades a lot more. Thanks pop I usually don't see any good posts anymore but this is the most interesting. I was at the flee-market last year and they had counterfeit cards but were selling them for the same price as regular cards so don't get fooled by price!
    Last edited by roaringforest; 01/15/2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Doublepost Eliminator

Images
    I have a sealed fake box. I also have fakes of various kinds, and I'm happy to contribute if I can. Would also point out that some real cards have shiny gold borders, such as those from Dragon Frontiers.

Good stuff, we need this information in the community.
    MG
    | Stefanie K: Prof, LL and TO in the UK | [Trade Thread] | [ Refs] | [Selling Thread] | Modified Trainer List DP-PT

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgiraffe View Post
    Would also point out that some real cards have shiny gold borders, such as those from Dragon Frontiers.
    MG
    Shiny, yes. Gold, no.
    There is only one real gold bordered card and that is the promo Jungle Meowth.

Images
    Oh, okay. Maybe you have to have seen it to know the difference!

MG
    | Stefanie K: Prof, LL and TO in the UK | [Trade Thread] | [ Refs] | [Selling Thread] | Modified Trainer List DP-PT

Isn't there the problem that if the counter fitters saw this they will try making sure that it's harder to tell counterfits?
    Member of Team Space-Time PM Muscovy Level X to join!!
    Latest Space-Time Article
    Why is this Smily doing in the center of the screen? Seriously
    TEAM AQUA

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poketo View Post
    Isn't there the problem that if the counter fitters saw this they will try making sure that it's harder to tell counterfits?
    Maybe. But is it better to not try to help people recognize them so they don't buy them?

I think some fake cards are being sold on ebay as Secret Wonders Boxes. There are 30 or 31 cards not in a booster pack. Some sellers have stated they are made in China. I don't know for sure but it sure looks suspecious to me.
    Made top cuts in all but 2 tournaments last year but only Won One!
    Top Cut Regionals 2007
    Top Cut Regionals 2009 wtih T-Tar (12th)
    Top Cut Regionals 2010 with PLOX (8th)

Images
    Anything made is China is definately fake unless they are talking about old WotC cards that were made for the Chinese market and that were in Chinese.

I got a bunch of fake Boosters from my friend, and in them I found that:

-it is EXTREMELY easy to find rares.

-cards are from different sets, e.g. I found a Kabutops PK in a MT Booster, and a Infernape Lv.X in a MT Booster as well.

-there was generly only one common/uncommon card in a pack. These were flipped over, so it's Pokemon sign was facing the other cards.
    500 Championship Points : Masters
    R.I.P LuxChomp
    Top 4 Worlds 2012 (Seniors)

I just ordered a bunch of 30-card packages from ebay and they arrived today. To my dismay, I discovered they were all fakes! Thanks to this thread (which I was ironically reading yesterday) and the cheap look/feel of the cards, I was immediately wise to them not being genuine. Thankfully, I didn't pay much for them. Also, the 30-card boxes (which I'm unsure whether or not they are legit anyway) were not sealed in any way, making it easy for someone to drop in fakes and pass them off as genuine.

I saw exactly what was described by UFtroll and Arceus999 above.
    Last edited by eloquent_labrat; 01/28/2008 at 08:24 PM.

Images
    There are no legit 30 card boxes.

Is there any way to report Fake Card sellers to anyone? Rather than creat a Negative Rating, I would rather just have someone bust them.
    <)))))><
    Theorem: One can do just about anything, but not everything.
    Corollary: One can afford just about anything, but not everything.
    The worst thing you can do for someone you love are the things they could and should do for themselves. - John Wooden, Legendary UCLA Coach

Email Ebay. If that doesn't work, I'd try the state or US government, especially for purchases made across state borders (which is most Ebay sales).
    2008 North American Professor Cup Champion
    Minnesota Furious Fists Prereleases || FREE Furious Fists Win-A-Box
    Bullados YouTube Channel
    If you happen to know of a USB, clip-on microphone, please let me know. Thank you!

fake cards are a pian what ever you do do not go buy cards in these contrys my friend gave me all the info

1: sir lanka some of there cards come in 12 packs and another thing to watch out for is the type if you buy a crsytal gaurdin deck 10 of the cards will be holon

2 inda total fakes some even have weird wirting

I still have a fake Poliwrath "foil" from Base Set when someone gave it to me instead of throwing it out. It's kinda cool to just hold onto them, so long as you're not paying for them or playing with them.

What is the "real" marking on a sealed box of boosters made by WoTC? Will it normally have the Wizards stamp on it? (wanting confirmation on this)
    Last edited by Formula Nine; 02/17/2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added for clarification

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast