Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pachirisu is overrated

Now I gotta ask this, since this is driving me so crazy it makes me I want to post my own full length article on my point of view, but that would take a couple of hours and it is late, and then I realized something:
    Why are we talking about this? This is titled as a "Pachirisu is Overrated" article, but it seemed to more closely resemble a "Pachirisu is Bad" article. Folks, overrated means people are making out to be better than it is. Pachirisu is perhaps overrated, but if you are a good pokemon player, you can make that judgment for yourself, regardless of what anyone else says. With that said, you shouldn't need people to have to tell you how good a particular card is.
    I built a deck that incorporates Pachirisu as a starter, which would search for Stantler to put onto the bench, and then retreat for that next turn. Now I am able to use Pachirisu and get to use Stantler as well. Someone suggested I remove Pachirisu and Stantler and use a basic of one of my pokemon lines as a starter. I tried it, since I knew that the person is an incredible player. It didn't work as well as before, and more importantly, I knew what it was about my deck that was the cause for that. So I now know that Pachirisu is just the right starter for my deck. If the deck you are working with doesn't gain favor from a Pachirisu start like mine does, I can see why you would say Pachirisu is overrated. But now much a card is overrated does not have much to do with its actual quality. Pachirisu is an all around good card. It is certainly usable, as my above example has shown. You can't build that strong an argument against that.
    So now I have gotten a little of that off of my chest, and I return to my original question: Why are we talking about this? This doesn't do anyone any good. You have to see what it does for you and if it fits with what you are trying to achieve. I can make allusions to all kinds of aspects of life where this basic statement is applicable.
    And as a side note, and I may be wrong here, but isn't the front page reserved for news? I'm not sure that opinion pieces such as the article at the top of this thread here are quite the right material for the front page.
    Last edited by G-Dog4377; 03/03/2008 at 09:33 PM.
    "It's better to be a #1 you than a #2 anyone else." -Duke Ellington

Funny that the one who tells all of us to be creative and to make different decks, tells us NOT to run a card that could help those decks actually be competitive.

There isn't a point to this thread, it's just Prime posting another hypothetical opinion simply for the sake of stirring up controversy. Whoever put up pachi as the next staple card needs to have their head examined just as much as the one who says that stantler is always going to be better. Yah, I'm taking a moderate stance on this, especially in an article that basically says that pachi should never be used.

Kudos to Tego though, he got all of the bases.
    Last edited by Articjedi; 03/03/2008 at 10:44 PM.
    The Truth is Out There. Print Ross' Worlds Deck!!!!!

"100 players think they're in the top 25." ~ Adam Vernola

I'm probably sure someone's said this but you can't get a T2 Claydol with Stantler, and Stantler leaves you open for a T2 donk from Banette or w/e after getting a supporter. JMO.

No Absol for a starter...that truly is blasphemy.
    2011-2012 Current Record: 0-0
    2012 Hawaii Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Articjedi View Post
    Funny that the one who tells all of us to be creative and to make different decks, tells us NOT to run a card that could help those decks actually be competitive.

There isn't a point to this thread, it's just Prime posting another hypothetical opinion simply for the sake of stirring up controversy. Whoever put up pachi as the next staple card needs to have their head examined just as much as the one who says that stantler is always going to be better. Yah, I'm taking a moderate stance on this, especially in an article that basically says that pachi should never be used.
    It's funny you say that. I intentially kept the specifics about my deck out of my above post because it is a bit of a secret deck of mine, which I came up with by myself. I don't exactly feel like sharing it right now either, but I like your point.
    "It's better to be a #1 you than a #2 anyone else." -Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by spoinkmaster View Post
    I'm probably sure someone's said this but you can't get a T2 Claydol with Stantler, and Stantler leaves you open for a T2 donk from Banette or w/e after getting a supporter. JMO.
    So true~

It makes T2 loses less likely to happen - which is a good thing

But after i used it's mentor attack, it's basically absorbing damage while i build something behind there.
    Love games? love wrestling? What about BOTH combined together?
    Try this FUN wrestling game:
    http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w=526278

Pachirisu overated???????

I will take them off your hands, please PM me for my address if you wish to send them to me, I will glady trade some "switch" cards.

This article is written in the obvious perspective of RIGHT NOW, and the current 2 decks I run. Pachirisu opens up so many deck possibilities now and LATER.

So many current and future decks need set up. I won't dis stantler or some of the other cards, because they all have there uses.
    Last edited by SLOW DECK; 03/16/2008 at 11:24 AM.
    <)))))><
    Theorem: One can do just about anything, but not everything.
    Corollary: One can afford just about anything, but not everything.
    The worst thing you can do for someone you love are the things they could and should do for themselves. - John Wooden, Legendary UCLA Coach

This whole thread is just a bit humorous. For decks like Magmorter/Typho it is absolutely 100% the best starter. So how can it be overated? No body ever claimed EVERY deck should play it.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Dog4377 View Post
    It's funny you say that. I intentially kept the specifics about my deck out of my above post because it is a bit of a secret deck of mine, which I came up with by myself. I don't exactly feel like sharing it right now either, but I like your point.
    That wasn't aimed at you dude, I just find it strange that Prime is basically saying not to run a versatile card in our decks, which stunts creativity, something that he espouses constantly.

What I really can't stand, are people who lose an argument after the entire board smashes them up and only say, "well, that's my opinion, you can keep yours." It's as if an opinion carries so little water that it doesn't matter what I say or don't say. Honestly, if you're going to say something, you better darn well be able to defend it.
    Last edited by Articjedi; 03/04/2008 at 01:39 PM.
    The Truth is Out There. Print Ross' Worlds Deck!!!!!

"100 players think they're in the top 25." ~ Adam Vernola

Leave Pachirisu alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Articjedi View Post
    That wasn't aimed at you dude, I just find it strange that Prime is basically saying not to run a versatile card in our decks, which stunts creativity, something that he espouses constantly.

What I really can't stand, are people who lose an argument after the entire board smashes them up and only say, "well, that's my opinion, you can keep yours." It's as if an opinion carries so little water that it doesn't matter what I say or don't say. Honestly, if you're going to say something, you better darn well be able to defend it.
    So, so, so true.

The point is, Pachirisu can be a life saver. Take me as an example. State Campionships: 5th and last round of Swiss, I was 3-1 and in 4th or 5th place. This round would have made me or broke me. I used DF Ralts, my opponent used SW as our lone starter Pokemon (we both had horrid luck). I go second, Psychic Boom him for 20. He comes back with a Strength charm and deals a heavy 40 to my Ralts, my turn. I Evolve into Kirlia and attach a DRE, Good Game. If he had a Pachirisu I would have probally lost that match. But instead, I made top cut and finished 3rd. in the whole Championship.
    Last edited by toxictaipan; 03/04/2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: I fixed me some typos!
    Place invisible text here.

Hello.. Is nice to have a Pachi on the bench, just because WARP POINT.

I'm sorry prime, but your bold statement that entitles this topic is one that very few agree on, and your logic is flawed.

It is true, tools are a rare sight for the fear of Pachi laying waste to them.

And Pachi only good for one turn? I guess we shouldn't play most trainers/supporters on the same basis.

This is the little elesquirrel's moment of glory, and you're going to have to do better than that if you want to ruin it.
    Ryan T
    5th UK nationals 2010.

So they finally give us a decent starter and all you do is complain. If it isn't doing anything after T3 then doesn't that mean that like...

it did its job?
    Have Wants
    http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56586

From the womb to the tomb, presume the unpredictable
    Gun salute life, rapidly, that's the ritual

Quote Originally Posted by Let Fire Fall View Post
    So they finally give us a decent starter and all you do is complain. If it isn't doing anything after T3 then doesn't that mean that like...

it did its job?
    This thread is the reason half of the gymmers pack their bags and never comeback to this site. With all do respect I feel real bad for the mod who approved of this thread.
    TEAM UNDERGROUND

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoLombardi21 View Post
    This thread is the reason half of the gymmers pack their bags and never comeback to this site. With all do respect I feel real bad for the mod who approved of this thread.
    It's an opinion piece.
    It has nothing to do with whether we as a site agree with it.
    It has everything to do with generating discussion.

Think you can write a better opinion piece or article?
    Please do. And we'll front page it too.
    Rules Team Member / Member of Team Compendium - The Pokemon Rulings Compendium - Co-Owner of PokeGym.net
    Premiere Tournament Organizer
    Invited to Judge every US National Championship and World Championship
    Masters Head Judge TCG World Championship 2010 - Seniors Head Judge US Nationals 2009

I disagree 100%. With my limited testing experience, I can tell you Pachirisu is as good or better as it is hyped up to be.

Pachirisu plays several MAJOR roles in decks, it helps set up WITHOUT the use of a Trainer card. The faster you have access to MORE cards in your deck, the more likely it is you're going to win, if early enough you manage to get out Pokemon via another Pokemon, and important Trainers or Energy via other Trainers, you're in a Win/Win, rather than having to rely solely on a single Trainer per turn to get you all 3.

The fact that the metagame is ruled by 2 non Tool based decks, doesn't mean there aren't any out there or wont be. Pachirisu provides a SEARCHABLE way to get rid of Cessation Crystals, which severely limit the top two decks set up if played at the correct time. That reason alone is good enough for to consider ALWAYs playing Pachirisu until Cessation is out of the format.

Space has ALWAYS been an issue in decks, and with Pachirisu, you can reliably get rid of Cessation Crystals with a source that is directly SEARCHABLE (again, unlike Windstorm) AND also provides a useful role in setting you up.

Finally, Scramble activation is huge in this format, so having anything to bait the opponent with, that will not hamper you when you ty to go aggressive, but will help you in making comebacks and getting out of pesky situations makes me believe Pachirisu is one of the greatest cards ever to be printed, and best suited for our current format.
    0436 0503 0719 0846 0927 1272

Gee Prime... At least give me time to collect enough Pachirisu and off them before you post something like this..

So to sum up... Overrated; but useful in the right deck types.

i tested magmortar against a cessation deck today, just wanted to point out that pachirisu does two things:

1) hits a cess'd gallade for 40 and discards the cess AND all others on it
    for one energy, you get gallade from 130 hp to 90, which is a LOT easier to do with magmortar

2) with no pokemon reversal in the format, they're put in a bad position
    if they kill the pachi, you get to use scramble for that much longer...if they don't, you retreat it and get more firestarter energy

pachirisu constantly being on the bench is a huge HELP because your opponent knows what will happen if they play a cessation. there aren't too many points in the game where i wouldn't be willing to let them KO it for what it achieves. as for call for family...don't forget that for each CFF you do, your deck is that much thinner, thus increasing the odds of getting the claydol/delcatty/whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by spazcrackers View Post
    everyone has an opinion and i didn't read all of the posts and i don't know if someone already mentioned this but i'm of the belief that a combination of pachy starting followed by stantler/chingling/etc being one of the pokes always for an amazing set. since pachy already has an energy and they wont need one to pull the trainers its a simple manner or turn 2 retreat and search for a supporter,with the energy drop going on one of the other basics you got with pachy.

i think that's how to play it but hey we all have an opinion. gl at states everyone. =)

spaz
    you still would need to retreat the second "starter". So that might be an energy drop your going to be behind. Not saying it's bad, but maybe a little too much.
    Top 4 Midwest Regionals 06-07, 6-3 @ 06-07 Nats, 1st Nats attended
    Top 16 Midwest Regionals 07-08, 08-09
    2nd WI States 06-07, 07-08; 2nd IL States 08-09 (I need to stop taking 2nd at States)
    Top 124 @ 08-09 Nats, Skipped Nats 07-08,09-10
    http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145660

everyone has an opinion and i didn't read all of the posts and i don't know if someone already mentioned this but i'm of the belief that a combination of pachy starting followed by stantler/chingling/etc being one of the pokes will usually make for an amazing set,and since pachy is now benched you have a mid/late game WS if needed. pablo made that point and he's right even if CC isn't very popular in your area im sure youll be glad to have that pachy if you run into it. ;] since pachy already has an energy and they wont need one to pull the trainers its a simple manner or turn 2 retreat and search for a supporter,with the energy drop going on one of the other basics you got with pachy.

i think that's how to play it but hey we all have an opinion. gl at states everyone. =)

spaz
    Team Rocket For the love of the game!
    2004 Masters Louisiana State Champion
    2006 Masters Alabama State Champion
    2009,2011 Masters Mississippi State Champion
    2013 Masters Winter Regional Champion

I'm gonna have to agree.
    Girafarig is WAY better. It can grab Potion from your deck, and with Potion, you never die.
    Never dying > getting basics out.
    Daieoskail II: Revelation
    The original Daieoskail
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Zangoose View Post
    Well, if [Palin] won the 2012 election, that would definitely prove all those doomsday theories to be true. >__>

Quote Originally Posted by Burninating_Torchic View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree.
    Girafarig is WAY better. It can grab Potion from your deck, and with Potion, you never die.
    Oh man, I laughed out loud.

... =////////////

Quote Originally Posted by Burninating_Torchic View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree.
    If only I could sig this!
    2008 North American Professor Cup Champion
    Minnesota Furious Fists Prereleases || FREE Furious Fists Win-A-Box
    Bullados YouTube Channel
    If you happen to know of a USB, clip-on microphone, please let me know. Thank you!

Then sig it =P
    The Truth is Out There
    Hit the bricks pal, you're done!
    You Play to Win the Game

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast