Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: 4Kids hates riceballs

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Riceball? No, sandwich.
    Quote Originally Posted by NidoPrince View Post
    But I can already tell that this is gonna be the superior team... The Rox brothers alone will make this team amazing.
    DP Blanks My cards
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl Friend Code: 3909-7353-9558 Wii #:7659-1232-8693-7526
    Pokémon TOP DESIGN Contest Winner

  3. #3
    Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by SD PokéMom View Post
    it should be bacon and beer
    'mom
    Quote Originally Posted by PokeDaddy View Post
    Rules lawyers have a special place in HJ's hearts.

  4. #4
    homeofmew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    5,654
    Images
    15
    it's always been this way Kids WB and PUI.
    Neither of them can leave the original content in the anime :*(
    [ homeofmew |Christine "Tina" Michie]
    [Masters Division | Houston, Texas/ USA
    ]
    ~ B.S. Mathematical Sciences - University of Houston, Victoria ~
    I.N.T.J. Personality Type


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by homeofmew View Post
    it's always been this way Kids WB and PUI.
    Neither of them can leave the original content in the anime :*(
    So true. =[

  6. #6
    What's a rice ball?

    In all seriousness though, what more do you expect from a dub? Particularly one aimed at ten year olds?
    Boot to the Head

    Cats can boot head too.

    I hereby claim Shaymin as my bishie. Touch it and DIE unclean ones.

  7. #7
    These are riceballs.
    Ladies and gentlemen,CONGRATULATIONS! The problem has been averted. The previously mentioned video has been wiped from youtube. VICTORY is ours!

  8. #8
    homeofmew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    5,654
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by EeveeLover929 View Post
    What's a rice ball?

    In all seriousness though, what more do you expect from a dub? Particularly one aimed at ten year olds?
    Not exactly true the Japanese Anime (and I have seen a lot of it)
    contains very odd things (like pikachu going under the skirt of a girl) and puns.

    Kids WB and PUI has made it for a younger audience, (like what Cardcaptors did too)


    yeah Pikachu is shown going under that girls skirt in the US show too but the lyric don't say it like the Japanese lyrics do.

    That's definitely not content for a 10 yr old :/
    Pocket Monsters is very PG-13 ish.
    Just watch Pokemon movie 1 or 5 in Japanese :/
    [ homeofmew |Christine "Tina" Michie]
    [Masters Division | Houston, Texas/ USA
    ]
    ~ B.S. Mathematical Sciences - University of Houston, Victoria ~
    I.N.T.J. Personality Type


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by homeofmew View Post
    Pocket Monsters is very PG-13 ish.
    lolno

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by homeofmew View Post
    Not exactly true the Japanese Anime (and I have seen a lot of it)
    contains very odd things (like pikachu going under the skirt of a girl) and puns.

    Kids WB and PUI has made it for a younger audience, (like what Cardcaptors did too)


    yeah Pikachu is shown going under that girls skirt in the US show too but the lyric don't say it like the Japanese lyrics do.

    That's definitely not content for a 10 yr old :/
    Pocket Monsters is very PG-13 ish.
    Just watch Pokemon movie 1 or 5 in Japanese :/
    I meant that the dub is aimed at younger kids, not the original. I've always considered dubs and original Japanese to be completely separate entities.

    But no, they are not true to the original Japanese in any way and they never will be.
    Boot to the Head

    Cats can boot head too.

    I hereby claim Shaymin as my bishie. Touch it and DIE unclean ones.

  11. #11
    Forum Moderator Regis_Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,354
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    24
    Well, put it this way: I doubt that most people outside of Asia would know what a riceball is, so that's why they edit it with something more familiar to American audiences.
    Shameless self-promotion:

    Interested in the VGC? Want to be the best you can be? Check out my VGC Teambuilding guide here:

    http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158669

  12. #12
    gee i wonder what a rice ball is.
    Idunno maybe a ball of rice...=P
    Congrats to my son for winning Nationals 2011.

    HMU If you know SEO

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromecatz View Post
    gee i wonder what a rice ball is.
    Idunno maybe a ball of rice...=P
    That could never be it.

    Yeah though, SOMETIMES edits like that are needed. SOMETIMES!
    Place invisible text here.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by toxictaipan View Post
    That could never be it.

    Yeah though, SOMETIMES edits like that are needed. SOMETIMES!
    No. You now fail at life.

    Edits are never needed. The dub should always remain as true to the anime as humanly possible. Of course, it's not like that's happened, but the Great Ones of Japan simply shouldn't be hiring those imbeciles like 4Kids to dub it, but rather, hire intelligent people to subtitle it. That's all there is to it. No excuse. At all. Whatsoever.
    Boot to the Head

    Cats can boot head too.

    I hereby claim Shaymin as my bishie. Touch it and DIE unclean ones.

  15. #15
    Yeah, in the Pocket Monsters episode with Squirtle, Team Rocket actually threatened to kill Misty.
    In the dub, they threatened to dye her hair purple.

    And she reacted in the exact same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by NidoPrince View Post
    But I can already tell that this is gonna be the superior team... The Rox brothers alone will make this team amazing.
    DP Blanks My cards
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl Friend Code: 3909-7353-9558 Wii #:7659-1232-8693-7526
    Pokémon TOP DESIGN Contest Winner

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by EeveeLover929 View Post
    No. You now fail at life.

    Edits are never needed. The dub should always remain as true to the anime as humanly possible. Of course, it's not like that's happened, but the Great Ones of Japan simply shouldn't be hiring those imbeciles like 4Kids to dub it, but rather, hire intelligent people to subtitle it. That's all there is to it. No excuse. At all. Whatsoever.
    You have no idea how it works, do you? 4Kids wasn't paid to dub Pokemon, 4Kids bought the rights to dub Pokemon. Never mind that they no longer have said rights.

    That being said, sometimes anime can't be aired on American television without edits due to our stricter guidelines as to what is age appropriate for the target audience and what is not. All should be forgiven once uncut DVDs are released though. Of course, a lot of edits are made in the name of localization which I'm not a huge fan of.

  17. #17
    DarkJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,876
    Images
    1
    Trading
    Selling
    Buying
    Auctioning [eBay]:
    Referencing: if we've traded in the past please PM me so we can convert to iTrader!

  18. #18
    I just don't get how a riceball is offensive, or somehow a danger to the minds of our young 10 year olds. Then again, the japanese word for riceball is onigiri and oni is japanese for demon.....

    *does a take*

    OMG JAPAN IS SUMMONING DEMONS WITH THEY'RE FUD, WE MUST STOP THEM FROM CORRUPTING OUR NATION'S YOUTH WITH THERE EASTERN CULTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Truth is Out There. Print Ross' Worlds Deck!!!!!

    "100 players think they're in the top 25." ~ Adam Vernola

  19. #19
    Onigiri = demon cut.

    Zoro is awesome.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by EeveeLover929 View Post
    No. You now fail at life.

    Edits are never needed. The dub should always remain as true to the anime as humanly possible. Of course, it's not like that's happened, but the Great Ones of Japan simply shouldn't be hiring those imbeciles like 4Kids to dub it, but rather, hire intelligent people to subtitle it. That's all there is to it. No excuse. At all. Whatsoever.
    It's true. I fail at life because I think Pikachu going under a girl's skirt needs to be edited out.

    I don't know what lyrics were said, but personally, that's too much for the usa kids of today. Do you know what kids talk about in public schools? And I don't mean like middle school, I'm talking about like 1st grade! That gives them so many ideas. Let alone if their moms saw that, there's no way I would be allowed to watch a show were Pikachu goes up a girl's skirt. At least, not when I was 10.

    Pikachu going under a girl's skirt is a little deep. Sorry if you disagree.
    Place invisible text here.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by toxictaipan View Post
    It's true. I fail at life because I think Pikachu going under a girl's skirt needs to be edited out.
    . . .
    Pikachu going under a girl's skirt is a little deep. Sorry if you disagree.
    It wasn't edited out (it was shortened by a frame or so though). Were you emotionally scarred when Pikachu ran under that girl's skirt in the first season opening?

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQZezm9GVGg Japanese Opening
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUnlh-Air2w American version for comparison. Pikachu's "infamous" under the skirt run is @ 0:45
    Last edited by Professor_Chris; 05/29/2008 at 05:51 AM.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor_Chris View Post
    It wasn't edited out (it was shortened by a frame or so though). Were you emotionally scarred when Pikachu ran under that girl's skirt in the first season opening?

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQZezm9GVGg Japanese Opening
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUnlh-Air2w American version for comparison. Pikachu's "infamous" under the skirt run is @ 0:45
    THAT?! I thought you guys were talking about something completely different! Just ignore my last post please.


    But yeah, I fail at life, because some edits are good. Oh well... I try...


    Carry on.
    Place invisible text here.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor_Chris View Post
    You have no idea how it works, do you? 4Kids wasn't paid to dub Pokemon, 4Kids bought the rights to dub Pokemon. Never mind that they no longer have said rights.
    Alright then, allow me to rephrase. They shouldn't sell the rights to those dub companies then.

    My point is this: if it's too adult for the target audience, instead of changing what is a perfectly good show and messing it up by altering it, why don't they just do the obvious and change their target audience? For instance, what do you think would have happened if 4Kids really did get Naruto? You know all those comedy vids on Youtube of that scenario? Well don't laugh... okay, go ahead and laugh because some of them are really funny, but you do realize that they would really do a LOT of those things instead of doing the more logical thing which is aim at a teenage audience, which is what Viz Media did, thank the gods. It's that simple.

    Or, like I said, have the Japanese companies only sell them to people who will accurately subtitle them and air them on television in the way that they were intended.

    Also, I just have to ask, do the creators of animes who actually know English ever watch the dubs, even out of curiosity's sake? I doubt it, because if they did they would be appalled.
    Boot to the Head

    Cats can boot head too.

    I hereby claim Shaymin as my bishie. Touch it and DIE unclean ones.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by EeveeLover929 View Post
    Alright then, allow me to rephrase. They shouldn't sell the rights to those dub companies then.
    Because they hate money?

    My point is this: if it's too adult for the target audience, instead of changing what is a perfectly good show and messing it up by altering it, why don't they just do the obvious and change their target audience? For instance, what do you think would have happened if 4Kids really did get Naruto? You know all those comedy vids on Youtube of that scenario? Well don't laugh... okay, go ahead and laugh because some of them are really funny, but you do realize that they would really do a LOT of those things instead of doing the more logical thing which is aim at a teenage audience, which is what Viz Media did, thank the gods. It's that simple.
    Your example has nothing to do with your point. You argued in favor of changing the target audience instead of changing the show; however, in your hypothetical example, 4Kids would have changed to show to target a younger audience. That said, target audiences little nothing beyond marketing. You can't just suddenly decide to target adults with a children show. This doesn't mean that there won't be adults who like the show just that they're not the ones being catered to. Regardless, Pocket Monsters is not too adult for the target audience. 4Kids just loves to change things without reason.

    Or, like I said, have the Japanese companies only sell them to people who will accurately subtitle them and air them on television in the way that they were intended.
    If anime only aired subtitled, the ratings would be terrible. Not to mention, the companies are probably more interested in profit (I hear that's what they do) than pandering to an incredibly niche audience.

    Also, I just have to ask, do the creators of animes who actually know English ever watch the dubs, even out of curiosity's sake? I doubt it, because if they did they would be appalled.
    Not like they'd probably have too much say in the matter.

  25. #25
    homeofmew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    5,654
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor_Chris View Post
    lolno
    not pg 13ish as in most pg 13 anime, here in the US.
    Haibane Renmei is rated pg 13 in Japan :/
    I believe that Card Captor Sakura was rated 13+..
    [ homeofmew |Christine "Tina" Michie]
    [Masters Division | Houston, Texas/ USA
    ]
    ~ B.S. Mathematical Sciences - University of Houston, Victoria ~
    I.N.T.J. Personality Type


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •