Thread: Pokémon Merges North American, European Operations

Blog Entries
    Images

Pokémon Merges North American, European Operations

http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/display/20547

Pokémon Merges North American, European Operations
    By Mansha Daswani
    Published: April 9, 2009
    BELLVUE: Pokémon USA, based in Seattle and New York, and London-based Pokémon UK, are unifying their operations under the banner of The Pokémon Company International.

Overseeing the company's business outside of Asia is Kenji Okubo, the president of The Pokémon Company International, reporting to the worldwide headquarters in Japan. "The Pokémon offices in North America and Europe work closely together on a daily basis," said Okubo. "As the Pokémon brand continues to thrive around the world, this change will ensure our worldwide reach, and the connection between our offices, is reflected in our name."

The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, the Pokémon Trading Figure Game and the official Pokémon website, outside of Asia.
    SD area players: join the Play! Pokemon San Diego facebook group for local event info!
    League Leader, San Diego Games and Comics / PTO, San Diego CA
    My eyes being hindered by blind passions, I cannot perceive the light that grasps me;
    Yet the great compassion, without tiring, Illumines me always.
    Namuamidabutsu...

The Pokémon Company International.

I like the name.

Hooray for Pokémon world domination.

April Fools!
    Good One Guys
    1st at Nats 2010 - Seniors
    4th at Worlds 2012 - Masters

Michael Diaz

Images
    yeah 04/01 was 8 days ago.
    talk about the last 8 days being hectic for most to all players.
    [ homeofmew |Christine "Tina" Michie]
    [Masters Division | Houston, Texas/ USA
    ]
    ~ B.S. Mathematical Sciences - University of Houston, Victoria ~
    I.N.T.J. Personality Type

Well after the notice of only English cards being played in Europe, this does not surprise me.
    Winner Rancho Cucamonga Battle Roads 10/12/08-Undefeated Winner San Diego B.R. 5/31/08
    Child 10 & under: Worlds 2005, Winner San Diego Gym Challenge 2006, 33rd Worlds 2006.
    Arizona State Champion 2007 Junior Divison. AZ State Champion 2009 Seniors.
    ...cannot believe a child winning a child's card game..."

Doesn't seems like they worked very closely when they decided to ban foreign cards that are not English or your local language :/
    Trading Thread: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=129733 - Refs
    Quote Originally Posted by afstandopleren
    1/ Am I, as European, living in a future for Americans? 2/ how about forcing experienced players to use non-donk decks and force newbies to play CHamp, Kingdra and other Donk decks? 3/ ...Kingdra failed during BRs. 4/ ^^^There is luck involved in Chess

Images
    ...How did they not work together, Ardoptres?

The only country that really is hurt by it SEVERELY is Malaysia. I mean if English had been banned since the start in the US and Europe, we wouldn't be whining.
    www.sixprizes.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanvergel View Post
    No one cares about what bad deck you are testing. You are a very new senior and are a blip on no one's radar. You could reveal your exact deck and list and nothing would change.
    TEAM HATTER! ...like a boss

Quote Originally Posted by yoyofsho16 View Post
    ...How did they not work together, Ardoptres?

The only country that really is hurt by it SEVERELY is Malaysia. I mean if English had been banned since the start in the US and Europe, we wouldn't be whining.
    Why is Malaysia severley hurt by this??

Anyways, let me enlighten you:
    (post #914 in the thread about the policy change)
    I doubt that Europeans were much considered in this decision. Sorry, but here we speak more than one language (and thus can use French/German/whatever cards just as well as English) and like to travel abroad, not to mention it might be shorter for some.

I live in Denmark. Denmark is right next to Germany. I have friends in Germany. In fact, one of those friends was just here for a week, visiting me. He has German cards. I trade for them, since I know German (like almost every other Dane) and they are just as fine for me as English ones. Sadly, to use them here, i need a reference, but last year I didn't even have to, because German cards were not considered to be a problem language-wise. I guess the rules just got stricter, because if it wasn't a problem in 08, why would it be in 09? :/

Germany is right next to France. Some Germans have French friends. Shall I continue?

You also to some extent eliminate the chance for international play (again, this applies mostly to Europe). When i play in Germany (others from here go farther, by the way), I see lots of them playing all-German decks. "Congratulations, you can't go to France like you usually do, because you can't use your cards there!". Great, that really helps the game.

I also looked a little on the list of what language is legal in countryX. You do realize half of Belgium speaks German, right? One half German, one half French (okay, it might not be that square-cut, but you get the picture and I don't know the numbers. It's always what people say though), so you might wanna look into that :/.
    1/ Am I, as European, living in a future for Americans? 2/ how about forcing experienced players to use non-donk decks and force newbies to play CHamp, Kingdra and other Donk decks? 3/ ...Kingdra failed during BRs. 4/ ^^^There is luck involved in Chess

Quote Originally Posted by Ardoptres View Post
    Doesn't seems like they worked very closely when they decided to ban foreign cards that are not English or your local language :/
    This = WIN/TRUTH! One of those things you can't deny as much as one wants to.

I just hope they don't make more errors like that one now that they are supposedly merged.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardoptres View Post
    Anyways, let me enlighten you:
    I think we've all been sufficiently enlightened regarding the European situation in the thread regarding the foreign-language card policy change. We get the point.

Note: My below comments are pure speculation and aren't meant to support any particular course of action. They're just some thoughts that occurred to me:

As I was reading through the comments from (understandably) frustrated Europeans in that thread, it was obvious to me that the only logical course of action for them was to stick to English cards.

Which immediately begged the question--was this intentional? Does the company want to de-emphasize the foreign-language card portion of the business? Are they considering eliminating some or all of the other languages in which they produce cards?

The consolidation of the North American and European operations would seem to suggest that they may indeed be thinking along those lines. If so, they've already taken a huge step toward accomplishing their goals by banning non-English foreign-language cards at tournaments. It makes English cards much more desirable than local-language cards for competitive players.

The above course of action does seem to be pretty sensible from a cost-management perspective. It would streamline so many of their operations, from R&D to production and distribution to managing organized play.

Unfortunately, it kind of stinks for non-English speaking players.

But to counter that, I'd have to ask--in the policy-change thread, most of the people were saying that local-language references were incredibly easy to use and caused no problems at all. If that's true, then what would be the objection to using English cards in tournaments with a local-language reference for the player's own use if necessary? If people are so willing to use a Japanese card with a German reference, then why couldn't they use an English card with a German reference?* What would be the difference? It would be harder for younger kids and people who find outside references distracting, but perhaps the company has done a cost-benefit analysis and decided that this way would ultimately be better.

p.s. You all managed to decide on one currency, right? Why can't you just pick one language already? (Of course, you'd probably pick Flemish or something just to be contrary.)

*Leaving aside the issues of card ratios, etc.

I fail to see how Nintendo would make more money off selling English cards than German (or French etc), since the cards are already being produced and therefore not more expensive to make.

And yes, Flemish would be awesome. A mix of about every language in Europe? YES PLEASE! lol.

I'm very much against the ban of foreign language cards, but this is not the topic to discuss it.

Anyway, this is really awesome and I hope that they merge all operations throughout the globe.
    The New Jedi Order

Master Trainer
    Keeper of the Sacred Box
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidwina View Post
    Note: My below comments are pure speculation and aren't meant to support any particular course of action. They're just some thoughts that occurred to me:

As I was reading through the comments from (understandably) frustrated Europeans in that thread, it was obvious to me that the only logical course of action for them was to stick to English cards.

Which immediately begged the question--was this intentional? Does the company want to de-emphasize the foreign-language card portion of the business? Are they considering eliminating some or all of the other languages in which they produce cards?

The consolidation of the North American and European operations would seem to suggest that they may indeed be thinking along those lines. If so, they've already taken a huge step toward accomplishing their goals by banning non-English foreign-language cards at tournaments. It makes English cards much more desirable than local-language cards for competitive players.

The above course of action does seem to be pretty sensible from a cost-management perspective. It would streamline so many of their operations, from R&D to production and distribution to managing organized play.
    I guarantee you that the new foreign-language policy and the press release in this thread have absolutely nothing to do with each other. TPCi (formerly PUI) is committed to producing a quality product and have absolutely no plans to transition to English only for the TCG. Additionally, that I'm aware of, there are no plans to drop any of the languages that we're currently printing in. The only reason that English is allowed everywhere in Europe is that English is distributed (nearly) everywhere that Premier Events are held in Europe.

I've already stated in the other topic that we'll be discussing this at the international OP conference, so I'm not entirely sure why this continues to be a topic of conversation to the extent that it has been.
    Mike Liesik
    Pokemon TCG Online Community Manager
    The Pokémon Company International
    www.pokemon.com/tcgo
    Need help from the Pokémon support team? Visit www.pokemon.com/support and submit a ticket!

Content Developer
    Blog Admin
    Contest Host
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow. I think is a good sign. Formerly PUI, now TPCi working hand w/ hand with TPC...man that makes me wonder what surprises the game will see in the near future.

Question to any TPCi staff, will this affect the future tournament structure here in america?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Liesik View Post
    I've already stated in the other topic that we'll be discussing this at the international OP conference, so I'm not entirely sure why this continues to be a topic of conversation to the extent that it has been.
    I wonder if I can join that conference to defend the players point of view?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooka
    At any rate, I applaud Rainbowgym for a truly creative deck that took a great amount of skill to put together.

Images
    I guarantee you that the new foreign-language policy and the press release in this thread have absolutely nothing to do with each other. TPCi (formerly PUI) is committed to producing a quality product and have absolutely no plans to transition to English only for the TCG.
    Random thoughts I had about the news

- So TPCi is the correct acronym for the new entity? Is TPCi a company or just a division of The Pokémon Company? And how does PCL fit into this structure?

- Seems like this will have little impact on the fans, which is fair play - business efficiency will benefit us in the long run.

- Were there people in the UK working full-time on Pokémon? Will those people still be there?

- The one thing which would make this worthwhile is for us to get all the stuff America gets and vice versa. So, for instance, I want to be able to pick up the English TCG strategy book and not have to import it from the US. That would be awesome

- Your avatar/title is now inaccurate. Seriously...

Additionally, that I'm aware of, there are no plans to drop any of the languages that we're currently printing in. The only reason that English is allowed everywhere in Europe is that English is distributed (nearly) everywhere that Premier Events are held in Europe.
    No comment (900+ for you to read already )

Um, because many people think the decision sucks? (Again, I'll stop because you can just read the hundreds of comments on the appropriate thread). What's staggering is that you're amazed that the reaction would be so vocal. What did you think was going to happen?

Overall: meh - give us some news that will make us jump for joy
    Last edited by dogma; 04/09/2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Collection wants (PM if you have for sale): 2007 Battle Stadium (Pal City promos) | Pokémon Snap Prize Cards

Articles: Japanese Trophy cards (pre-2003) | The Joys of Collecting | Announcing: The Pokémon Collectors Catalogue Project
    The Ultimate Collectors Forum Join the underground forum dedicated to everything collecting!

Master Trainer
    Keeper of the Sacred Box
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Question to any TPCi staff, will this affect the future tournament structure here in america?
    PUK was basically just another office of PUI. They're in charge of brand management in Europe, and have been reporting to the head of PUI for at least as long as I've been with the company (5 years). They have never been in charge of any aspect of the TCG, including OP. The name change pretty much just makes things a little less awkward in business communication.

There should be no changes at all to tournament structure. The Seattle office is still in charge of all OP outside of Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by dogma View Post
    - So TPCi is the correct acronym for the new entity? Is TPCi a company or just a division of The Pokémon Company? And how does PCL fit into this structure?
    TPCi is the one that I've seen, so that's the one I'm using. The relationship between TPC/TPCi/PCL remains unchanged.

- Seems like this will have little impact on the fans, which is fair play - business efficiency will benefit us in the long run.
    That pretty much sums it up.

- Were there people in the UK working full-time on Pokémon? Will those people still be there?
    There are no staffing changes based on this announcement. No layoffs, no new jobs. Same staff. The folks in the UK office will continue to do the same work on Pokemon that they've been doing for years. However, the UK office does nothing with the TCG, and focuses more on things like lisencing in Europe.

- The one thing which would make this worthwhile is for us to get all the stuff America gets and vice versa. So, for instance, I want to be able to pick up the English TCG strategy book and not have to import it from the US. That would be awesome.
    I don't know if or how this change will affect that. As I understand it, it's business as usual when it comes to stuff like that.

- Your avatar/title is now inaccurate.
    No my boards, not my call. I do need to update my sig line tho.

Seriously...
    Additionally, that I'm aware of, there are no plans to drop any of the languages that we're currently printing in. The only reason that English is allowed everywhere in Europe is that English is distributed (nearly) everywhere that Premier Events are held in Europe.
    No comment (900+ for you to read already )
    I do understand the issues that Europe has to deal with, which is a significant part of why we're willing to modify the ruling in the first place. But it won't be the fans that sway us one way or the other. It will be the feedback of the PTOs in the US and the OP providers in Europe.

Um, because many people think the decision sucks? (Again, I'll stop because you can just read the hundreds of comments on the appropriate thread). What's staggering is that you amazed that the reaction would be so vocal. What did you think was going to happen?
    We knew that there would be people that were unhappy with the decision. We're not at all surprised by the response. I've been keeping up on everything posted after my post on page 32. My point in the quoted post was, a) I've already stated that the rule may be revised, and b) there aren't really any new arguments being made in that thread. A lot of it feels like people just rehashing the same points and counter points over and over again. Where is that getting you?
    Mike Liesik
    Pokemon TCG Online Community Manager
    The Pokémon Company International
    www.pokemon.com/tcgo
    Need help from the Pokémon support team? Visit www.pokemon.com/support and submit a ticket!

TPCI? Sounds like a telecom company. At people won't call you "pooey" anymore.
    Listen to PIRN! The Pokemon Internet Radio Network. We have tons of Pokemon Music, along with interviews with major players in the Pokemon world. Now in CD quality!
    Latest Song Parody: Dewott You Do
    League Leader-Pegasus Games-Madison, WI

Did anyone ever actually call them 'pooey'? Seriously.
    Anyway, I just hope we get the American merch now, too.
    If people could fly, would they dream of walking?

The next step in creating the New World Order!...or the North American Union? I need to get my conspiracy theories straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by thephoenix View Post
    When autotune, post processing, and 3 pounds of makeup make you a "seriously amazing singer", it's time for God to destroy the world and start over once again.
    Remember DX-ON

Where is that getting you?
    It's pretty much just venting at this point, plus the few stragglers just now stumbling upon the announcement.

TPCi, huh? I wonder how you pronounce that? Tapickey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Absoltrainer View Post
    "Alakazam, what type of milk should I buy?" *Alakazam meditates* *Alakazam opens glowing blue eyes, bends his spoons and telapathically proclaims* "TWO PERCENT!!!!!"
    Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Images
    I do understand the issues that Europe has to deal with, which is a significant part of why we're willing to modify the ruling in the first place. But it won't be the fans that sway us one way or the other. It will be the feedback of the PTOs in the US and the OP providers in Europe.

We knew that there would be people that were unhappy with the decision. We're not at all surprised by the response. I've been keeping up on everything posted after my post on page 32. My point in the quoted post was, a) I've already stated that the rule may be revised, and b) there aren't really any new arguments being made in that thread. A lot of it feels like people just rehashing the same points and counter points over and over again. Where is that getting you?
    Nowhere, which is exactly where I want to be - I've never played a Pokémon (TCG) game in my life My comments re the foreign cards were meant in cheek - I know its really easy for me to sit here acting all smug .

Thanks for your replies - so this news is even less of a big deal than I thought it was. Good for my understanding at least!

EDIT: Ooooh, I like Tapickey!
    Collection wants (PM if you have for sale): 2007 Battle Stadium (Pal City promos) | Pokémon Snap Prize Cards

Articles: Japanese Trophy cards (pre-2003) | The Joys of Collecting | Announcing: The Pokémon Collectors Catalogue Project
    The Ultimate Collectors Forum Join the underground forum dedicated to everything collecting!

Thanks for the response, Mike. What can I say? I enjoy business-related conspiracy theories.

As for why people are still talking about it? Because they care. You should probably take it as a good sign. It shows that they want to keep playing the game.

Would you rather have a thousand people complaining, or a thousand people who just shrug their shoulders and wander off to play Yu-Gi-Oh?