Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Deoxys: a new archetype. ~discuss~

I noticed in prereleases that Deoxys... REALLY dislikes having copies of itself in your hand. Sure, I was playing with only two copies at most of a Deoxys, but still, it seems pretty frustrating, even WITH Cynthia's Feelings.

I think Giratina from the IFDS Starter Decks would love to be paired with Deoxys. It's power forces both players to shuffle their hands into their decks and draw 4 cards whenever its played. Other then disruption, I think damage spread would be a good idea to pair with Deoxys. Defence Forme's attack is pretty nice, just it needs something efficient to play damage first. Speed Forme's good at finishing off stuff, but not very good at setting up KOs, I don't think (only 30 a turn's a tad slow... Compared to Empoleon and Lucario DP's 60 a turn, the highly efficient spread of Yanmega, etc.). Attack Forme's attack... I don't particularly care for the three energy cost, AND it can't really use that attack in succession, and Normal Forme requires the opponent to be set up.

Yanmega sounds like a decent start though, especially since it won't draw away from the energies that Deoxys will be craving.

and why are we talking about swampert when torterra exists oh no sorry we were discussing DEOXYS!

Swampert was never great....:rolleyes:

Anyway, it looks fun to play, but not an archetype by any means.

I think the real trick will be getting rid of Aerodactyl, whose Pokebody really hurts your Deck. Deoxys Speed can pick it off, but it takes 3 turns. One potential solution is Unown M, which can use Magnet to flip a coin and draw Aero in to be swifty destroys by Deoxys Attack. It is still a coin flip though, and it will subject Unown M to damage it really can't afford to take.

I don't think Aerodactyl would touch Deoxys. After you use the power, the pokemon that used it is no
longer around to take the damage counters.

Been there... done that. Deoxys DOES NOT hold up as a featured player in the deck. It has to work as a 2nd line to a strong OTHER.

I've had the best luck running something that spits out special conditions and running the Deoxys backup line... 2-2-2-2 ... to frustrate the opponent.

Even then.. . it's average.

Switching out is GREAT as you can damage spread or hit hard or protect for -20 etc... but.. they are WEAK on their own.

Again, they're great fun as a 2-2-2-2 w/ someone strong to smash things up .

Deoxys (plural) on their own CANNOT be a competitive deck.

I've tried SO MANY ways to make it happen.

AT BEST ... think of using Deoxys as a band-of-techs that assist a main attacking line.

Deoxys can stall (a little), snipe (a little), and attack ( a little), and even do a Leafeon-ish 20+ "all energies attached" thing.

BUT.. on its own, Deoxys is not NEARLY as strong as it needs to be.

I don't think Aerodactyl would touch Deoxys. After you use the power, the pokemon that used it is no longer around to take the damage counters.
I posed this question to Team Compendium already, and I suspect that their delay in responding indicates that it's a more complicated issue than it seems. I'm inclined to agree with you, but I'm wondering if PCL intended to shoehorn Aerodactyl in with the "effects" clause of Form Change. Playing by the Japanese intent rather than the English text makes things awfully complicated sometimes... we'll have to see.

Are you guys serious? How is this SLOW? It is just as fast as any other deck when it comes to energy attachment. ._.

Back