Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

World Championships 2008 #2 report (Master)

khanh le

Sorry about the late report!

10. Pokémon:

4x Blissey (MT)
4x Chansey (MT)
2x Chatot (MD)

36. Stadium / Supporter / Trainer:

4x Crystal Beach
1x Scott
2x Team galactic's wager
4x Cast Away
4x Celio's Network
3x TV Reporter
2x Roseanne's Research
4x cessation Crystal
3x Energy Removal 2
3x Pokedex handy910is
3x Plus power
1x Tsd
1x Night Maintenace
1x Warp point

14 Energy: (14)

4x Holon Energy FF
1x Fighting Energy
9x Fire Energy

Strategy:

The strategy in this deck is to get up Blissey in the second round of cessation Crystal and Crystal Beach in the game, and then turn! How can a deck that has weakness-Gallade decker still refer to it?
Yes, I use an Energy-short-called Energy Holon FF. When Holon Energy FF is attached to Blissey with 1 or more Fire Energy card, Blissey has no weakness. In addition, if Holon Energy FF is attached to Blissey with 1 or more Fighting Energy card, my opponents pokemon has no resistance.

I also used Stadium card Crystal Beach, which was incredibly good against Gardevoir / Gallade and the second deck that used Energy card counts as 2 or more energies. When Crystal Beach is in the game, it make it at all energies that counts as 2 or more are only 1 color less energy. Amazingly good against a deck that uses tons of Double Rainbow and Scramble. Finally, the motherboard that saved me most of the games: it was Crystal cessation.

Cessation Crystal is a Pokémon Tool that allows when the tools are attached in my active Pokémon, so no one can use either poke-powers or poke-bodies. Amazingly good against all the deck using Claydol, since Claydol do you prefer lots of cards, and against Gardevoir, as always "steal" a Supporter from Discard your mouse. It prevents the opponent to get the cards he / she needs. If you manage to get out a Blissey with cessation Crystal and Crystal Beach on the other hand, this is the ultimate deck!

Day 1

There was a time for a few weeks ago where NEARLY ALL the Pokémon players used Gardevoir / Gallade. I was outraged all the players who used "GG" decks. I wanted to create something that hit all these GG-decker, so I watched (Last Chance Qualifier, also known as Grinder). Everyone was playing: Gardevoir / Gallade of course, Empoleon / Bronzong and Eeveelutions. But it was something I discovered! A guy from Canada, with Blissey deck went 6-1 (six wins, one loss).

This was something that I din't beleave in the beginning, but it turned out that it was true! The guy (David Atannasov) used a Blissey-deck with Chatot in the Master group. Is that it, like? Actual: yes! So I asked him if he would cooperate with me since his brother knocked out my sister in the top 8 in the World Cup in 2007. He was willing to cooperate. There was something about the deck i didn't like. Such of quick ball etc, but it was very good against the GG deck. We also made Blissey to the younger brother in his Senior group: Paul Atannasov. Then we agreed that we should all use Blissey-decker. We tested Blissey at Atanassov room from 23.00-03.30. Then it was just to wait for World Cup day began.

Day 2

I was very unsure if I should use Blissey or GG. But I took a chance on Blissey-decker, because I think that deck was very good! After a few hours of registration, we were all ready to play. When I played my second match and lost, I was very nervous. I had 3-2 in the swiss rounds. I regret that I used Blissey. I was very nervous, but I had to not lose a single match to, otherwise I would not have reached the final. But luckily I managed it with 5-2!

My position in the swiss rounds:

Round 1 vs Kevin Lee (CA) Gardevoir / Gallade (won) 1-0
I won this fight very easy, given T2 Blissey with cessation Crystal and Crystal Beach. He failed to get up something that could remove them, so I knocked out his Pokémon 1 for 1

Round 2 vs Con Le (U.S.) with Gardevoir / Gallade (lost) 1-1
This game was the hardest match I played through all of the preliminary rounds. He receives a T2 Gallade and Sonic Leaves me. I get a good start, hitting on an Energy Removal 2 and do that he will be 1 round delayed. He wins by psykick lock + pluspower on my blissey. I retreat my active blissey to my beched Blissey. He get up gardy lv.X and bring down my beched Blissey which was damaged by 70damage. He wins with 6-5 prizes. GG!

Round 3 vs Wataru (JP) with? (won) 2-1
Oh! My first japanese opponent this day, unfortunately this player didn't met up so I get autowin.

Round 4 vs Josef Furstenzeller (CZ) with Gardevoir / Gallade (won) 3-1
Very funny game where I got heads on all my Energy Removal 2, so I turn out all his Pokémon 1 for 1.

Round 5 vs Jason Klaczynski (U.S.) with Gardevoir / Gallade (lost) 3-2
Had only 1x Pokémon in the game: Blissey. He receives a normal start and charge the Galladen his prize and turn all the cards.

Round 6 vs Cristian Vidal (U.S.) with Gardevoir / Gallade (won) 4-2
Don't remember this match.

Round 7 vs David Coatres (U.S.) Gardevoir / Gallade (won) 5-2
One of the hardest games I have played through the tournament. We both have 2 prize again. He sends out Dusknoir and attack me. I find that he has less resistance to color, so I retreat my akive Blissey with 1 fully Blissey down on the bench. I go Holon Energy FF with Fighting and attacks. I attack 2 times with a pluspower which saved me, and it was just enough to beat out his Dusknoir. So the time was called and Holon Energy FF saved me!
GG!

Day 3

I hear the phone ring. I wake up and see that I'm 30 minutes late. It was no time for brushing my teeth or taking a shower. I take my clothes on and ran away to play the top cut. Fortunately, I wasn't late, thanks to my mate Tord Reklev who called me!

Top 32 vs Clay Carney (U.S.) with Empozong (won 2-0)

The battles were simple and straightforward. Crystal cessation stop poke-power to Claydol and therefore I win 2-0.

Top 16 vs Morten Gundesen (DK) with Empostar (won 2-1) (#1 national champion)

This guy was actually beating Tsuyoshi Yamato 2-0. I knew what he was using and I was prepared as well.

G1 - The match were all difficult. Everytime he used his Lapras attack (Cast Away effect), I used the Team galactic wager. He duel plash my blisses and we have like 2-2 prizes. I K0 his Empoleon with cessation and beach in play. He can't remove the beach and have to sacrefice some of his fossils to pump his beched empoleon with energys. I win so far this game with 6-4 prizes. 1-0

G2 - I have the worse hand ever! Nothing to do. He win 1-1

G3 - He got bad hand so he scoops. 2-1

Top 8 vs. Frank Diaz (U.S.) with Empozong (won 2-1)

I only needed to win this Game against Frank to get a world invite, but i wouln't give up.

The battles were remarkable smoothing! Crystal Beach saved me in both games. He can not remove the stadium and thereby give Scramble Energy no effect.

G1 - I get the best hand ever! Turning Blissey T2 with cessation crysta, crystal beach and energy removal2. He doesn't get a bad start either. We have like 1-1 prizes left. I was waiting to use my 2 pluspowers to k0 his empoleon, and then i win 1-0

G2 - My hand is standard. We are having a good match but i loose. 1-1

G3 - I T2 Blissey as usual with crystal beach. He roseannes for 2 piplups. I think either hes baltoy are prizes or Claydol. Crystal Beach saved me, its all i remember 2-1. GG!

Top 4 vs Jimmy O'Brien (U.S.) with Empozong (won 2-0) (6-1 at grinder)

G1 - All hes good cards are prizes, so i easily win this round.

G2 - This match was a little more difficult. He makes a big misplay by putting on the Scramble for Energy Empoleonen his while we have equally with the prize. I win because he does misplay, but I would won anyway. I turn 2 times in his Empoleonen and kill it. He sends out Bronzor by making me sleep. I fall short on sleep as usual and he will still not up. I win by striking on the dice. Finally!

Top 2 vs Jason Klaczynski (U.S.) with GG (lost 0-2) (1# world champion 2006)

G1 - One of the games I remember most. I get a bad start without cessation Crystal. He get a dream start and charge up his benched pokemon. I lose by 3 prize. 0-1

G2 - I get a perfect start with everything except Holon Energy FF. Blissey has weakness and it makes Gallade even stronger. Everytime i used Cessation/Crystal beach he always got either Lake b or Windstorm. He always Wind Storm and remove all my stuff. I lose all Team galactic wager and flip tails on all of my Energy Removal 2 so I was so mad and hungry that I gave up. I Could have a chance if I hittet any of the dice, unless he had DRE. 0-2

Props:

David Atanassov, Paul Atanassov, Gino Lombardi, Jason Klaczynski, Jimmy O'Brien, Rafael H. Magnus, Kenneth Nilsen, Evens Cheung, Andy Cheung, Con Le, and much more!
- My Blissey deck :biggrin:
- Paul Atannasov gettin #2 in senior xD
- Tord Reklev for waking me up day 3.
- Incredibly fun to play with the best from the world.
- Gino Lombardi Playing poker :thumb:
- Mc Donals for being cheap, good and fast.
- Everyone who supported me.
- #2 at worlds 2008 :thumb:

Slops:

- David Atannasow meeting bannette/bliss in the top 16.
- Hungry in the top cut
- Missing all my energy removal 2 against Jason K in the final :nonono:
- Missing all the wagers against Jason K in the final :nonono:
- Kenneth Nilsen who played nintendo ds all the week long, when he was fokus on tcg.

Last edited:
very impressive..
(i was rooting for you the instant i saw you were using Blissey)

wow... ALL of your swiss matches were against G&G. (80% of my matches at worlds were against G&G as well)

i still don't think G&G was the best deck for Worlds, but there were so many people using it that the odds of it Not-winning are slim. (not saying Jason K isn't a good player though..)

once again, great job Khanh...
Blissey = pwnage

-ian b

Congrats!! Especially knowing now that you only started using the deck the night before. Well done!

But wow, you only played Empoleon and GG? That's...really weird :p

Thanks! I though of putting in 1-1 elektrode but I couln't find the place. Anyway i didn't need it as well. I was prepared of meeting these decks, so 4 castaway, 4 cessation and 4 beach was neccressary.

A pleasure to watch your matches.

I think the Japanese player in round three assumed there was a lunch break after round 2 and that's why he didn't show.
He did come about 20 minutes into the match, but of course you had already gotten the win by that point and were gone.

Interesting backstory on the deck itself; I recall when your deck was announced, everybody was thinking you were a genius for having thought of it. Watching your match against Jason was/is painful, extremely bad luck....

Excellent job, hope to see you in 2009.

Back