Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Electro-Magnetic Controll Article/Help Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeveeac

I'm not a noob in the negative sense, but I am not an amazing strategist yet either, I would be very appreciative if anyone could help me improve this, and my skills in general. Thanks for your time, even if you just read this. (Also my first article, so please feedback on the writing too.)

Electro-Magnetic Control My CURRENT Deck List:

Pokemon:
3-1-2 Magnezone
2-2 Manetric (MT kind, the one with Lightning Twister in case my logo reading is wrong)
1-0-1 Metagross
2-2 Furret (DON’T SAY CLAYDOL UNLESS YOU READ)
1 Minun
1 Plusle
1 Azelf
1 Magnezone LVX

Trainers, Supporters:
4 Bebe's Search
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Rare Candy
3 Poke Radar
3 Plus Power
2 Premier Ball
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warp Point
1 Team Galactic's Mars

Energy:
6 :lightning
4 Special, and 6 basic :metal:

Uses of included cards:

Magnezone Line:
The purpose of the Magnemite and Magneton are only to allow the play of Magnezone, and its LVX form, however Magneton's Magnetic Ray can be a useful attack in some situations. It deals 40 damage for :metal::colorless:colorless energy, which isn't very good, but you may choose to bring out any of your opponents other pokemon with energy on them before you do the damage. This can be a good stall, or a technique to bring something out before it's totally ready to try and disrupt your opponent. The Magnezone I am using as of now is the released DP version (I'll go into the to be released ones in the PROPOSED UPDATES/EDITS section) which has the Poke-Body Magnetize, allowing any pokemon you have with a metal energy attached to retreat at no energy cost. It's only attack is Metal Blast, at a cost of :metal::colorless:colorless, it deals 50 base damage, but adds another 10 for every metal on Magnezone, making it a potentially very powerful attack; throw in a few special metals, and it's decent max HP (120) and it can be one annoying card. LV. X Form: The biggest use for this card is it's Electric Trans Poke-Power, which allows the movement of any :lightning or :metal: energy attached to your Pokemon to any other Pokemon you have in play, which can be really convenient coupled with Magnetize or Lightning Twister. It can also be good to get the energy required for a more powerful Metal Blast or for the LV X's unique attack Cyber Shock :)lightning:metal:, 80 damage, unconditional paralysis) which requires a discard of it's entire energy cost, so it's nice to use the other pokemon as storage and backup at the same time.

Manetric Line:
Manetric can provide almost limitless power with it's :colorless attack Lightning Twister, which causes 20 damage for every basic energy attached to it. This is made easier with Electric Trans. That one pokemon just got too much health? Trans your basics off, saving a metal for a magnetized retreat, which you can then Trans as well, as it has no limit to it's number of uses, and let the sparks fly! It's secondary attack, Chain Lightning, can be a disturbance to. At a :lightning:lightning:lightning energy cost, it seems a bit taxing, but 70 is 10 more than that would do at the same energy with Lightning Twister, plus anything matching Pokemon matching the opponents type on their bench takes 20 damage as well, which is fun against very type focused decks. Electricke should be evolved quickly unless Electromagnetic Jam's chance of stopping all energy attachments to the opponents active Pokemon will freeze them up in the extreme, which is possible.

Plusle/Minun:
The only purpose of these cards are their respective powers. Both have 60 HP, and a single Lightning attack for 20 damage, each with an added effect if you have the other in play. Minun lets you move any one energy attached to it to something else, so you can effectively attack at no risk of energy loss, but this isn't very helpful. Plusle can go sniper, doing it's 20 to the bench, but Chain Lightning is better for bench strike. Their powers, Minus Charge and Plus Charge respectively, both activate only when something of yours is Knocked Out. Minus Charge lets you simply draw two cards at no cost, which can really help in a speed issue. Plus Charge lets you fish out two of your basic energy from the discard pile back into your hand. Since this deck in my experience often has to make a sacrifice or two to get running, these can be very helpful.

Furret Line:
Keen Eye, no energy, search for any two cards in you deck, put them in your hand, need I say more? (HOWEVER!!! I borrowed 2 Claydol the other day to try it out, and I was instantly hooked, will make that switch ASAP!!!! I’ll go into things like this later on.)

Metagross Line:
MAGNETIC REVERSAL!!!!!! This Poke-Power is the only reason ‘Control’ is appropriate in the title of this deck. It is a 50/50 chance of a Gust of Win(d) every turn. It’s HP is the same as Magnezone’s, and it’s attack has the same cost for the same damage, 50. However, each subsequent use has a base damage of 100, so it makes a good alternant attacker. KO something with the 50, then start churning out consecutive 100’s which can 2HKO most anything. Since Magnetic Reversal can turn a game around so well though, it might be better to keep it safe on your bench. Beldum makes a decent start off with it’s :colorless attack allure, which is a simple card draw, but it is useless late, even mid game, evolve AFAP.

Azelf:
Since there are no energy for it in this deck, this card does no attacking. It is in the deck to do one thing, use the Time Walk Poke-Power. This makes the balances of Pokemon easier to achieve by letting you fish a Pokemon out of your prizes.

Trainers/Supporters (and use of Special :metal:)

Bebe’s Search (Sup)
Place a card from your hand on your deck, get a Pokemon from your deck, and shuffle the deck back up. Pretty self explanatory, but this is used top get Pokemon, quickly. It is absolutely imperative to run, in my opinion, in any deck that needs it’s Pokemon, which is every deck I’ve ever heard of. Also, use the fact that you get to deck-search to make a mental note of a few present or not present cards, such as Rare Candy, Special :metal:’s, and Pokemon you want to fetch later. This is true for any deck searcher.

Roseanne’s Research (Sup)
Another deck searcher, but this time for 2 basic Pokemon, and/or basic energy, with no strings attached. This can prevent benching, energy crisis, or fetch the foundation for a line in your hand. Grabbing a Pokemon and the energy it needs with one swoop can be very helpful, and with the slightly low energy count in this deck, it can save your life very easily. One of my favorite tricks is to yank out Minun, and an energy just before (or after) a knock out, use the energy, play the Minun, then Minus Charge two more cards on the appropriate turn, while your newly energized Pokemon from the Roseanne’s comes out swinging.

Team Galactic’s Mars (Sup)
You draw two cards, and beam one from your opponents cards in hand back to the bottom of their deck, decent speed up and disrupt at the same time. I honestly just threw this in, I had one slot left, and no more of the other Trainers I hadn’t maxed yet, and was tired of trading as I hadn’t played at all that day. It was put in for the draw power, but I plan to replace this ASAP.

Rare Candy
Evolve one of your basics straight to stage 2, or to stage 1. Being a trainer, this dodges the just played and first of your turns of play rule, as well as being able to skip one entire stage (and consequently, up to 2 turns) of the evolution process. This is a key card in any deck that focuses on evolved Pokemon of any kind. I also use it to not even put in Metang, the stage 1 between Beldum and Metagross. This card can be one of the most annoying in your deck, I’d be annoyed too if my opponents wimpy little Magnemite suddenly was a fully charged Magnezone. One of the better speed cards.

Poke Radar
Pretty much a (in my opinion) slightly better version of Master Ball. This card lets you take any number of Pokemon you find looking at the top 5 cards of your deck. This one’s use is literal, no real tricks here. It is simply another way to get the Pokemon your looking for. The one advantage it has over Bebe’s is that it isn’t a Supporter, so it doesn’t limit your actions by being used. Since it only looks at the top five though, it is a bit limited, and I will probably remove it for Poke Search+ once it comes out.

Premier Ball
Let’s you get a LV X from your deck or dredge it up from the discard. In this deck, the Magnezone LV X is a major part of the freedom to this deck’s play style, so the ability to reclaim it, or simply find it, is very important.

Night Maintenance
Restores 3 total of Pokemon and basic Energy from your discard pile to your deck. This helps to make the supplies of Pokemon and Energy harder to exhaust. Also, since it adds cards to your deck, it helps prevent Decking.

Warp Point
Switches your Pokemon, and your opponent’s. You don’t choose the new Pokemon for your opponent, but forcing them to switch can be rather disruptive. Also, if all your opponents bench Pokemon are sitting there using powers, it can help a lot to take them out. Great for forcing out that always hated, opposing Claydol.

Plus Power
Simply because base attack just doesn’t cut it. This can be a fun combo with Metal Blast, and even better with Lightning Twister since both naturally increase with added energy.

Special :metal:
It grants damage reduction to any metal Pokemon, and provides energy. The damage reduction makes any metal Pokemon 5 times more annoying.

Known Changes to be Made

Furret line to Claydol line: I was a little unconvinced until I was lent two for a non-ranked tourney by the judge, I was instantly hooked. Changing 1 or two useless cards in your hand to have a hand of six, without even using up any limited actions is amazing.

DP Magnezones out due to approaching season change: I have read a bit about the new Storm Front cards, and I think it’s correct. I read the new Magnezone, both types, and the steel semed more usefull. Magnetic search Poke-Power could metch any Pokemon in this deck.

Poke Search +: It’s keen eye in a trainer, what’s not to like?

Please post any advice on strategy or cards you wish to give
THANK YOU FOR READING!!

ya kno u dont have to write what it the card does most of us kno already by the way i get rid of azelf he has no point unless u have him in amu or using him as a tech but otherwise i wouldnt use em in this deck

try this deck with palkia, my friend does and she has gotten 2nd and first in most battle roads.

I can see what you mean with Azelf. As for wrighting in the effects, I wanted this to be like an article, and the dirctions I read say that it should be understandable by new people as well as those with experiance.

For Palkia, I think I know what it does, I'll check. If I'm right though that's a good idea, hadn't thought of Palkia, thanks.

I believe Palkia Lv.X to be much more useful than Metagross. It isn't as difficult to put Metagross into play, but the simple fact that you can be certain of Palkia Lv.X's reliability far outweighs this downside. And keep the Azelf. If you get the Magnezone Lv.X prized, you're toast. But at the same time, you could run another Magnezone Lv.X,; I'd consider that as well.

Pokemon: 20
3-1-2-2 Magnezone/Magnezone Lv.X
2-2-1 Electivire/Electavire Lv.X
2-2 Claydol
1-1 Palkia/Palkia Lv.X
1 Azelf

Trainers, Supporters: 24
3 Bebe's Search
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Rare Candy
3 Poke Radar
3 Plus Power
2 Premier Ball
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warp Point
3 Buck's Training

Energy: 16
6 Lightning
4 Special Metal
6 Basic Metal

I dropped Plusle and added a Magnezone Lv.X cuz it's always better to have 2, I dropped the Metagross line for Palkia/Palkia Lv.X because you choose and then just bring out whichever of your pokemon because of Magnezone, I dropped the Manectric line for Electivire from SW so you get free energy every turn and the Lv.Xs attack and Power are very useful. and I dropped one Bebe, Minun, and the TGM and added 3 Buck's Training, and the Furret for Claydol which you already said you were gonna due.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
You need more draw supporters. You need a backup for if you don't get claydol out early. (You changed to claydol isn't it?)

If you can, try to fit in one Registeel. It's power is awesome for discarding energies for Electivires, and Rotating Claws exchanges Electric energies into special metals. Plus, it's a huge tank with some special metals and Regi Heal.

All are great suggestions. I've already made the metagross to Plakia X switch, I'm not finding any claydol in packs or people (Figures). Also, I've currently switched the Manetric for Raichu, since the Manetric was making no decisive moves ever. I'll continue to find more cards to try, and try some of these

In case I remember right, Blitz101 said that Raichu X was coming out next set. Might be worth looking into. You can drop a candy, ( I think i mentioned that and you did) because you dropped Metagross. Get CLAYDOL!! lol. That's all I can think of now. I'll let you know if I learn anything benneficial.

3-1-3-1 Magnezone/LVX
2-2 Claydol
1-1 Palkia
2 Rayquaza LA
1 Azelf LA

Rayquaza lets you flip a coin until you get tails to pull Energies out of the discard, then you can move them around with Magnezone LVX to do a consistent 80+ paralyse. It's a basic, so it's much easier to search and set up than Electivire, if a little more risky.

I'd probably still play 4 Candy for consistency.

The DP Magnezone is great and you would probably still want one in the deck even when the new Magnezones are out. Free Retreat + Restructure = Win.

Oh don't worry, I'm not giving up that combo till the judges pry it out of my hands, Restructure is fun! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back