Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Virginia's Autumn Battle Roads 2008!--Now with Photo Link (end of thread)

I personally feel that the creator's intent was that you were supposed to use that little thing called MEMORY in this case, but I support whatever POP rules.

Okay, you can be all clever and do it by memory. Several turns later I'll lol when you grab the psychic energy instead of that lv.x you needed. :p
Trust me on this. You DO NOT WANT TO RELY ON MEMORY FOR STUFF IN POKEMON. You have a lot to think about during your turn and your opponents turn, and its quite easy to forget what the prizes were and where they are while you try and do all that.

especially since I got it backwards....I think! :eek:

Yes, you ruined the joke. lol

NOTICE TO ANYONE WHO IS GOING TO LUSBY!!!

I need to borrow several dusknoirs, and posibly a few torterras. Please let me know if you have the cards and will be there.

thanks

NOTICE TO ANYONE WHO IS GOING TO LUSBY!!!

I need to borrow several dusknoirs, and posibly a few torterras. Please let me know if you have the cards and will be there.

thanks

Shouldn't that be on the MD battle roads thread?

With the prizes thing, Kevin F was funny at practise the other night. He didnt want to write it down or remember, so he simply played with the prizes face up. A nice alternative in my humble opinion. That way, there is no chance of the player trying to do something illegal or write down the wrong one/position (intentionally or otherwise) It is basically the same effect since the notes are public knowledge.

If you ask me, which I realize nobody did but I am going to give my 2 cents anyway, they never intended prize content and placement to be part of the allowable notes. It is just asking for trouble. I know that is how it was ruled, and I will certainly support that decision at any tournament I am judging, but I think it leaves too many openings for intentional or unintentional bluffing/lying etc.

One example is something Helen sort of reminded me of. LvlX is not technically part of the name of the card. On a deck list, you are allowed to put just Glaceon as long as the number is correct. Most of us put the Lvl X anyway, but it is not technically required in the card name. Now, say a player is running Glaceon LVL X, but only writes Glaceon on the notes. They technically haven't broken the rules, but unless they are putting the card number there as well, it is misleading because I as the opponent have no way of knowing which one the opponent is referring to. This knowledge obviously would change how I would be playing.

How does a judge rule here? I know it would be a tough one for me. Did they not write Lvl x out of habit, or were they trying to mislead? And even if they were doing it intentionally, again, I can't imagine that it would be illegal because it is the correct card name
David, any ideas here?

I really don't understand why it is so hard to write straight notes. William W made it look so easy; why is it so hard for others?

Okay, you can be all clever and do it by memory. Several turns later I'll lol when you grab the psychic energy instead of that lv.x you needed. :p
The funny part of that is you won't know whether or not that has happened. That's the advantage of not writing down the prizes. You have been given an advantage by knowing your prizes; sharing that with your opponent gives them power over you.

Trust me on this. You DO NOT WANT TO RELY ON MEMORY FOR STUFF IN POKEMON. You have a lot to think about during your turn and your opponents turn, and its quite easy to forget what the prizes were and where they are while you try and do all that.
What does this say about the ability of our players? I hope the top performers in VA don't have to rely on a crutch in order to play well. Maybe players should have their decklists next to them too so they don't forget the amounts of important cards that are in their decks...
I don't like where this is going. This is beginning to sound like a gateway for wrist plays. I better not see any "remember to Cosmic Power" or "remember to place prizes" notes when I'm judging; the latter brings with it the risk of an unsporting conduct penalty.

I think I left some cards at Fairfax. I can't remember what all of them where but, there was an exploud and a seadra in the pile. If anybody found them please let me know thanks.
You were playing my deck too? :rolleyes:
I'll look through the stuff that was given to me.

If any one watches Heroes by the way (and you should) Daphne the Speedster kept calling Hiro (the japanese time stopper) Pikachu, twas hilarious
Yes, I found it funny too. Hiro seemed slightly confused by the comment, but he is nieve that way (anyone notice he is always getting hit, and he never sees it coming?)
To me, that comment in a popular show tells us that Pokemon has become a recognizable icon of our generation. It didn't die and got forgotten.

Shouldn't that be on the MD battle roads thread?

With the prizes thing, Kevin F was funny at practise the other night. He didnt want to write it down or remember, so he simply played with the prizes face up. A nice alternative in my humble opinion. That way, there is no chance of the player trying to do something illegal or write down the wrong one/position (intentionally or otherwise) It is basically the same effect since the notes are public knowledge.

If you ask me, which I realize nobody did but I am going to give my 2 cents anyway, they never intended prize content and placement to be part of the allowable notes. It is just asking for trouble. I know that is how it was ruled, and I will certainly support that decision at any tournament I am judging, but I think it leaves too many openings for intentional or unintentional bluffing/lying etc.

One example is something Helen sort of reminded me of. LvlX is not technically part of the name of the card. On a deck list, you are allowed to put just Glaceon as long as the number is correct. Most of us put the Lvl X anyway, but it is not technically required in the card name. Now, say a player is running Glaceon LVL X, but only writes Glaceon on the notes. They technically haven't broken the rules, but unless they are putting the card number there as well, it is misleading because I as the opponent have no way of knowing which one the opponent is referring to. This knowledge obviously would change how I would be playing.

How does a judge rule here? I know it would be a tough one for me. Did they not write Lvl x out of habit, or were they trying to mislead? And even if they were doing it intentionally, again, I can't imagine that it would be illegal because it is the correct card name
David, any ideas here?

I would wonder the same problem with Leafeon number for instance if I play both leafeon #7 and the other one, both are called leafeon, but both different. But i dont want to have to write collection number with Azelf :p

Tim - Hiro is awesome, for a guy who can stop time and check out his surroundings or teleport out of danger, he really is a total clutz.

Ror

I would say that as long as it's the same name for the card limit, it's the same name for note taking.

Although I really can't understand the ruling. What your prizes are is not a change in the game state. It shouldn't be any different from writing down the contents of your prizes in a deck search, and it shouldn't be any different from writing down the contents of your opponent's hand when you use Milotic's Pokepower.
In fact, it seems less like you should be able to write it down. Judges can shuffle prize cards to correct an error, which indicates that, like the contents of a deck, prize cards are always randomly ordered.
I want to know how the Japanese rule on this. It seems like the intent of the card is to be able to get a Pokemon out of your prize cards, and nothing more.

Also, I think it was previously posted in ATM that notes could be written in code.

Except that there are game mechanics which turn prizes face up which are still in the current modified :redface:

If you ask me, ... they never intended prize content and placement to be part of the allowable notes.
Something to look at:
Tournament Rules said:
10. Note Taking
Players are allowed to take notes during a game in respect to actions that have happened during the game. Notes should be restricted to changes in the game state. Players must be timely with their notetaking and may not use devices that may send or receive messages as a note-taking device. Notes taken during a match may not be given to other players during the course of the tournament. Notes taken during a match may be reviewed by either player at any time during the match.
Now, if I were a judge who wasn't afraid of what the crowd said, I might say that Section 10 does not give the player the ability to write down his/her prizes. I might consider an opinion that Time Walk showing the prizes in a private mannor is not a change in the game state, and the content of the prizes is not an action that has happened during the game. The action of the power being used, that the prizes were viewed, the action of a prize being swapped, and what Pokemon was taken from the prizes can all be noted, but nothing has happened to the other 5 prizes to warrent them being written down by the player. If the prizes were revealed, then it'd be a different story.

So, consider Trade Off, Pokedex (whatever the current one is), etc, can I make a note of what the card is that I'm putting on the bottom? Why or why not? Are we supposed to be notetaking about private knowledge that hasn't become public knowledge?​

On a side note, me considering such a ruling might be why I'm never HJ--which I'm totally fine with :thumb:​

IAlthough I really can't understand the ruling. What your prizes are is not a change in the game state. It shouldn't be any different from writing down the contents of your prizes in a deck search, and it shouldn't be any different from writing down the contents of your opponent's hand when you use Milotic's Pokepower.
Can you write down the contents of your opponent's hand when you use Poke-Power Sharing? I've never heard that before.​

LvlX is not technically part of the name of the card. On a deck list, you are allowed to put just Glaceon as long as the number is correct. Most of us put the Lvl X anyway, but it is not technically required in the card name. Now, say a player is running Glaceon LVL X, but only writes Glaceon on the notes. They technically haven't broken the rules, but unless they are putting the card number there as well, it is misleading because I as the opponent have no way of knowing which one the opponent is referring to. This knowledge obviously would change how I would be playing.
Nice question!
It would be up to the opponent to ask. There are atleast 2 normal Glaceon in the format. There may not be a problem with writing "Glaceon" since that is its name and you aren't lying about it. The collection number shouldn't be necessary. You shouldn't have say which one it is unless the opponent asks, at which point you might not be obligated to answer because it is private knowledge. A simple "I forgot" may suffice. Afterall, it is possible for you to actually forget which Glaceon it is if you play both normal versions (as DarthPika has already mentioned, your memory is being used for other things besides memorizing your own prizes :/ ). As long as you don't outright lie about which version it is, hum... Sounds like ruleslawyering though.

Again, this is why I my personal opinion is "don't write them down." It may seem innocent, but you're entertaining unsporting conduct penalties by doing so.

Tim - Hiro is awesome, for a guy who can stop time and check out his surroundings or teleport out of danger, he really is a total clutz.

Comic relief, maybe? I always get a laugh when Hiro is hit, as well as feel sorry for him. But he reminds me of a kid who is excited about having a superpower. His future self is a contrast for seeing this.​

Last edited:
Can you write down the contents of your opponent's hand when you use Poke-Power Sharing? I've never heard that before.

You can't. Nor can you write down the contents of your prizes normally. Which is the one of the many reasons the Azelf ruling does not make sense. Sorry if my post was hard to understand.

I am inclined to agree. It is convenient to write down prizes, but not nearly worth this hassle. It also does seem this is some abuse or misuse of the intention of Azelf's power, which is retrieval of a prized pokemon, not a peak at your prizes. I think it creates issues and fosters mistrust and lies into the game.

Ror

and sorry Leah (and Kevin) you can't flip your prizes "just because". This isn't hermit or gallade, so please don't even suggest doing that at a tournament.

I'm really starting to wish the card had never been printed due to all of the loophole-seekers....:mad:

You were playing my deck too? :rolleyes:
I'll look through the stuff that was given to me.

No. I was running Turncruel. I origanally brought the Exploud for my friend, but it turns out he
didn't need it, so I left it on the table and forgot to pick it up.:nonono:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Why not just arrange you're prizes to remember them. You could put energy on the bottom and trainers on the
top or something.

Last edited:
Here's Your intro...

HEY LEAH ..

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE TIME WALK - NOTE TAKING ISSUE?

If you ask me, which I realize Mr. W JUST DID So..., I am going to give my 2 cents [DEL]anyway[/DEL], they never intended prize content and placement to be part of the allowable notes. It is just asking for trouble. I know that is how it was ruled, and I will certainly support that decision at any tournament I am judging, but I think it leaves too many openings for intentional or unintentional bluffing/lying etc.

David, any ideas here?

She's officially in the argument now ... :biggrin:

I'm really starting to wish the card had never been printed due to all of the loophole-seekers....:mad:

Pandora's Box ...

Last edited:
HEY LEAH ..

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE TIME WALK - NOTE TAKING ISSUE?

She's officially in the argument now ... :biggrin:

Pandora's Box ...

That was awesome.

I know you can't flip them. It was a practice game and we had no problem with it, but I realize it is not tourney legal way of doing it.

You are right, the card never should have been printed without there being a very clear ruling ahead of time. Were it my decision, they would not be writing it down. If you can't remember, tough. It has already given you an advantage by being able to retrieve something you need that was prized. knowing all of your prizes and having notes to remember is a bit much in my opinion and as we have seen, it creates more problems than it is worth.

Stupid card. Or at least, poor choice in wording.

Idk I see all the judges posting on here about how it is ridiculous and why people don't just memorize them, but as a very experienced player I love me some Azelf. Im not going to repeat my previous post on the advantages but as Darth Pika said (can't believe Im agreeing with him..) I have way too much on my mind in a match to think about my prizes. You can ask my friends when at league, when I play an Azelf I can sit there and think about what prize to take longer than most of the stuff i do on my turn. I always know what my six prizes are after my first deck search, that just comes with knowing my deck list like the back of my hand, but I don't know where they are.

Yes maybe pokemon intended it to just be a card to get a pokemon, but you would have to be stupid to not take advantage of a rare thing in pokemon that is knowing which card is which prize.

a player's 2 cents

Not quite, I think its orig. intent was to get a card and then play out like concentration. Do you remember what and where those other 4 prizes are?? Do you??? Now, along comes a new card with sweet damage, but with an effect like "shuffle your face-down prize cards" --THAT would be justice!!

GUESS WHAT I'M GONNA SAY ?

.. just... show your opponent each prize, take the notes. you both know them. No problems. No rules broken. NO RISK of rules broken.

When playing NATE, I even wrote the wrong thing and he's like "didn't you mean Roseanne's?" I'm like.. yeah... that's right... (*scribble*...*correct*) and that was that. Because he SAW the prizes, mistakes were allowed!

People TRY TOO HARD.

It can really be much simpler than people make it out to be.

once again just looking for any one going to these last brs that might be able to give me a ride.

(id like tomake it to at least one br. there may be a card or cards in it for you.)

GUESS WHAT I'M GONNA SAY ?

.. just... show your opponent each prize, take the notes. you both know them. No problems. No rules broken. NO RISK of rules broken.

When playing NATE, I even wrote the wrong thing and he's like "didn't you mean Roseanne's?" I'm like.. yeah... that's right... (*scribble*...*correct*) and that was that. Because he SAW the prizes, mistakes were allowed!

People TRY TOO HARD.

It can really be much simpler than people make it out to be.
if your opponent knows your prizes, that can put you at a huge disadvantage, especially if say your dusknoir is prized. i would rather just rearrange them and not take notes.

Back