Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

DeckBuilding like a CHAMPION . . .

I'm probably a 9. Every tournament I get SUPER better.

Watch out, VA! I'm climbing the ladder!

Archetype... I would put you at a 7.8, not an 8 like you say....

Why? You are a GREAT player, one of the best in the nation, if you ask me...

If you used an archetype, you would STEAMROLL EVERYONE!

My theory is that you used to run archetypes 4 years or so ago, but won so many events POP banned you from using them and you had to get your name changed and start over! :lol:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a player who forgets to use his Uxie Lv.x is deffinitly NOT a 9. I would put you at a high 7, maybe 8, but never 9.

I would probably put myself around 9.5.

The only think I really ever fear is bad luck, and it seems to LOVE me. Not quite at 10 yet, but hopefully states will change that. :lol:

Lol, this thread reminds me of the 'Level X per box ratio' threads. Not in the sense that cards are being pulled, but simply so random people can hold up imaginary cards and say 'hah, im better than u!!11!11' I can honestly only see like a very small handful of people even being remotely close to a 9. Be realistic people, unless you're in the top whatever, this little boost of confidence is just leading you downhill.

I rate myself as a 7.5. I say this because over the last year I've topped numerous events and won several while never going worse than x-2 at an event. Though, there are several players that are definitely better than me, I can see myself improving over states and regs.

I'd say I'm a 7.5, the problem is, I haven't played on a world scale yet, and my losses at nationals we're from what anyone would call "Unplayable Prizes" (First game 4 Empoleon, second game 3 Empoleon prized). After Grinders I'll probably have a clearer out look on my position.

I would rate myself at about a 9.25. Whenever I see a familiar face that is a threat to me, I get really psyched. I look at the rankings on go-pokemon and see who is a threat and who isn't. I don't necessarily show up as a threat, although I have Top-cutted about 92% of the time...

Average: You know the archetypes, you've seen the good cards coming out. You use claydol in your decks and you know that dumping 5 pokemon on your bench against dusknoir is bad. You are familiar with archetypes but cannot make any yourself. You make top cuts around 50% of the time, but usually not nationals or going to worlds. You can build a pretty consistent list, but cannot tech your archetypes and lists with the extra difference to boost yourself to the next level.

Above Average: You are known in your state. Your name is heard a decent amount, and people ask about your record. You can build a pretty good deck, and your deck can contain individual techs and variants that allow for success (such as adding a tech pokemon line such as Mewtwo lvl X) which are chosen based on a specific metagame. An above average player can consider the metagame, tech somewhat appropriately, but is still unable to create consistently good, new archetypes or other solid decks.

Good: A good player is someone confident in understanding the metagame and also the construction of lists and others' lists. A good deckbuilder can understand the mechanics of another's engine, setup, strategy, by seeing few cards and extrapolating such information. A good deckbuilder can PREDICT and ANTICIPATE a metagame and formulate techs to respond to it. A good deck builder can sometimes make new, powerful decks, but these decks do not pan out to be steadfast archetypes.

Great: A great deck builder is someone who can finally create a new archetype of some sort. This deck builder understands the metagame and can design a new deck which is not expected or seen by many, and construct it in a way to do well in a variety of situations and in a variety of hands. A great deck builder can tailor a deck to a metagame, and a deck for a metagame. A great deck builder can quickly make deck adjustments, and formulate brand new, yet successful, lists with little time due to previous skill training.

Elite/Lafonte: This is the supreme level of deck mastery. This level of player can not only anticipate a metagame, come up with new and innovative ways to employ said tactics and deck modifications and styles, but also win with them and have others do successfully. This level of player is consistently a threat at tournaments, whose lists perform extremely well, especially when used by several or many people. An elite deckbuilder can build a deck for any metagame in any age group in any contemporary format. This level of player often introduces enough changes into a standard deck, that even an elite player's archetype deck is at least 10% different than most, if not more (often times 20-25% (12-15 cards different sometimes). This level of player has contributed to or created an original archetype, or helped introduce a standard version or essential tech to an archetype.

There we go. 5 categories that would probably be easier to differentiate skill levels and approximations. This is essentially an expanded and clarified set of RA's top 7 or so. So imagine if RA's thread had a 12 tier system instead pretty much, with the skill more evenly spread.

Yeah I would say only a handful of people (~20-30) are 10s, a pretty fair amount of 9s, most of PokeGym is probably between 6-8, and many of the players that are less than that are not very competitive and don't take the time to come online in the first place, but they are still the majority of the competition, at least half of it.

I would put myself in the 10 range, though a low 10 at that.

It's a pretty accurate label, when a solid 80% of Lafonte members (at least) fit that description. Why not have it there?

SO 2006 LOLOL.

what about the player that just play for fun , don't care about winning just comradery? And also how doyou scale these players (may be a true champion mind but not in heart )

Back