Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Power Spray - Why can't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^The way it is written implies to me that you should be able to be used during your turn as well. It is and stays a Trainer but with the current wording, one that can also be played during your opponents turn.

The second sentence states it will "Prevent all effects of that Poke-Power".
What Poké-POWER? The first sentence let's us know it is the POWER that one of your opponent's Pokémon is using on your opponent's turn.

this card was obviously made to stop the number one poke-power in play right now COSMIC POWER! no claydol on one turn can be pretty important!

I don't understand how this topic even has reached this many replies. It's crystal clear that Power Spray can be used on the opponent's first turn.....A more interesting topic would be the increasing, borderline disgusting advantage of going second in games. It's really starting to get out of hand.

i believe for having played the game for about 3 years now that several wordings in the cards should be arranged/changed so as not to lead to confusion and the very best example would be self referencing pokemon why not exchange the words "insert pokemon name here" with "this pokemon" its more simple and easier to understand instead of talking about a pokemon in the third person

another would be the use of "may" as regards on the Power Spray although there are only quite a few pokemon that activates their pokepower during opponents turn (such as Alakazam's power cancel) meaning its more likely than not intended for the use only during the opponents turn (such as Claydol;s Cosmic power) the word "may" could have been replaced with "can only" or a rephrasing was needed both of which was suggested by other posters above to make the card clear or to avoid confusion

bottomline of this thread IMHO is no matter if the wording is incorrect the general intent of the card was to disrupt the opponent from using pokepower during his turn

Scizor; said:
I don't understand how this topic even has reached this many replies. It's crystal clear that Power Spray can be used on the opponent's first turn.....A more interesting topic would be the increasing, borderline disgusting advantage of going second in games. It's really starting to get out of hand.

I don't understand how this thread has reached this many replies by people that haven't bothered to read the first post. :/
Afstandopleren's question was whether or not it can be played on your turn. vegeta brought up the <related> T-1 question.
You want a thread on going second? I predict that it will be locked within a week for 2 reasons:
1. Way too many people will bring up rigged coins & dice.
2. No matter how much you complain, it won't go away.
Someone has to go first.

You completely missed the point of Scizors post, and its very clear that you don't know what your talking about. Rigged coins and dice? What??

^Rigged coins as in, how to purposely lose the coin flip to determine who goes first. Granted, maybe I had too low of an opinion of some people. If I offended anyone, I apologise.
What I got from Scizor's post was that Scizor thought that the subject was whether or not Power Spray can be used on your opponent's turn if you go first, which was vegeta's side question/comment-not the original intent of the thread.

When it says "you may" its stating that you may play it
to negate the power being used... If you wish not to then
you simply dont. I guess I can see what you are thinking
however, I find it very clear that its used on there turn to
negate a power (if you wish to)

How can people not get it?

It says "may", so that you don't HAVE to use it, when your opponent used a power.

How can people not get it?

It says "may", so that you don't HAVE to use it, when your opponent used a power.

That is true of all cards no? You don't have to play an energy card, or a supporter, or a trainer, yet they all don't say "may".

There is a legitmate confusion on how the effect is worded that can be interpreted in several ways and it is by no means clear.

Does it mean you can only play it on your opponents turn or may you play in it an addition to when trainers are normaly played?

Unclear rules that are poor translations from another language present all kind of problems for interpretation, especaily when certain things are implied such as this case. Trainers can be played on your turn and if this card is a trainer it should be able to be played on your turn unless it clearly states that it can't or certain conditions say it can't. It may be used on a alakazam, but not Gengar's powewr that is invoked when getting lethal damage for example. Just because a card doesn't make sense now, doesn't mean that that wont be true in the future. As of now there is currently no way to get a card out of the lost zone, but perhaps in the future there may be a way.

My guess is that there will be more and more tactical options introduced that allow the defender to do more and more things like many other CCGs, especialy if T1- and T2 donk decks are being encouraged.

Last edited:
There are several now that activate during the opponent's turn -- Ectoplasm (Dusknoir LV.X), Fainting Spell (Gengar SF), and Power Cancel (Alakazam) are the main ones in competitive play.

Anyway, the card is not adding to the normal rules, it is changing them. "You may play this card during your opponent's turn" means you may only play it then. The Japanese card seems to be more clear on this, using a phrasing that I read more like "When it is your opponent's turn...you may play this card".

OP's argument has failed.

The OP's argument only fails if you can follow the Japanese card text. just using "may" like that in English is ambiguous .Trying to use context to resolve the ambiguity doesn't help because the context is a game where playing trainers has always been done on your turn only. Applying context gives the wrong answer :( I can completely understand why someone might come to the conclusion that it can be played during your turn to block powers.
  • You may ONLY play this card....
  • You may ALSO play this card..
either of these would have been crystal clear, but without the extra word "You may play this card" can be interpreted either way in English.

There's no instructions on what to do if you DO play it during your turn, and since you can't play a card to no effect, it's not playable on your turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back