Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Where'd all your cards go!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obsidius

Since I haven't seen many people talk about the hand disrupting side of Giratina, I thought I'd give it a try.:thumb:

Pokemon:24
1 Giratina Lv.X
3 Giratina (PL #9)
4 Mesprit
4 Absol
2-2 Claydol
2 Uxie
1-0-1 Omastar
1-0-1 Alakazam
1 Azelf
1 Unown :unknown-g

Trainer/Supporter/Stadium:24
4 Roseanne's Research
3 Bebe's Search
1 Fossil Excavator
1 Luxury Ball
2 Level Max
3 Team Galactic's Mars
2 Galactic HQ
2 Rare Candy
4 Super Scoop Up
1 Night Maintanince
1 Warp Point

Energy:12
9 :psychic:
2 Cyclone:colorless
1 Warp:colorless

Stratagy:

Play like any other "Hand Disruption" deck by use Absol to discard cards early. Use Giratina's "Let Loose" power to reconfigure both your and your opponents hand size to 4 and continue discarding with Absol. If Mesprit, in combination with both Absol and Giratina, is used then your opponent would be unable to use powers and have a 2-3 card hand at the start of their next turn.:eek: It is of course best to do this as soon as possible to hinder their set up.

Now while your opponent is struggling to set up, you can take this time to power up Giratina and Level it up either with level max or manually. Sure Giratina takes 4 energy to use its main attack but your opponent will be helpless to stop you with a small hand and few options. Once its powered up,start spreading 30 to each of their pokemon with "Darkness Lost" or use Giratina's other attack "Earth Power" for 60 with a possible spread of 10-20 with 2 coin flips.

Techs:

1-0-1 Omastar - This a special tech to use with Giratina's Power "Let Loose". If your opponent manages to set up before your able to get Giratina Lv.X going, then just play Omastar to return all of your opponents highest-stage pokemon back to their hand and play Giratina to shuffle their hand into their deck therefor losing their main pokemon. If your unable to play Giratina then use Galactic HQ to damage their newly evolved pokemon next turn.

1-0-1 Alakazam- This is used in place of a Mesprit on your bench for it "Power Cancel". Alakazam can do what Mesprit can do and stop powers, but instead of a one time event, you can use it once during each of your opponent's turns. This also gives you an added bench space and prevents you from using a super scoop up to reuse its power.

Cyclone Energy- This is a hand energy to use with Omastar. If your opponent has a powered up/rare candied pokemon active then send it to the bench and play the Omastar/Giratina combo. Its also a nice suprise when all they have on the bench are No energy/High retreat pokemon.

Warp Energy- Used mainly for Giratina's high retreat cost of 3. If you manage to level up Giratina but can't switch,retreat,or attack then use this to not only switch i out but power it up in the process.

Possible Techs:

Azelf Lv.X- Great aganist G/SP decks by providing no weakness to Giratina but shut off by Dialga G Lv.X.

Spiritomb- Extra spread of damage after Giratina's Earth Power/Darkness Lost.

Energy Pickup- Try and speed the energy attachment procees on Giratina.

Snowpoint Temple- Since your main attacker is a basic why not give it 150 HP. Bad when used with Omastar and against G/SP decks.

Matchups: :confused:TOO MANY:confused:

Take out Kazam and put in 2 Pokemon Rescue! Gets the Mesprit back once koed, or Giratina for another Let Loose!

No Snowpoint... go with Moonlight so you can retreat freely with the Gira start so Warp can come out!

Energy Pickup isn't really necessary as you will control their hand giving you time to setup!

Good Luck with it!

I've been playing around with a hand destruction absol and giratina deck as well, with mesprit and ssu thrown in to boot. The problem ive found with Absol is that he is useless, or almost useless, if you don't start with him. 4 helps, but in the non-absol giratina start with no switches/warp points/moonlight stadiums you're at a bit of a disadvantage, unless you get the lucky warp draw.

The problem i've encountered with the hand disruption is that if you get an absol start and quick set up it can really work great. If not, then you have to have something to fall back on, and i fear that giratina/mesprit alone may not be enough. I dont know though, your list is quite different from the one i've been play-testing since pre-release, and may work. I would definitely though not just intellectually test this deck and really test it a lot and tweak it. I was super excited about finally having a viable hand destruction deck concept, with a perfect list planned out, only to be disappointed when actually testing it. I havent given up and will probably do gira/absol at states, tweaking and testing steadily until then.

I think there are some good ideas here, especially with the power cancelling. things i would consider:
Adding in switch/warp points
Battling sp decks (Yesterday i had the luxury of having my poisoned giratina x 1 shotted by a special darkness energied honchcrow)

An additional attacker or a way to recycle quickly Giratina.

Even the best hand disruption has holes, and you have to figure out what to do to recover from them. If your opponent draws a simple lookers investigation or felicities or cynthia's, it's back to the drawing board, especially if you've already retreated the absol...then it's hope the spread works before your Gira dies. And with a 4 energy cost to spread, it's hard to have another hitter set up on the bench.

Good luck with your deck, let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
I was considering Sableye in lieu of Absol. With it you can search for a Team Galactic Wager or Mars. I would also run great balls to find your tina. I like alakazam but your bench looks too crowded, so Omastar definetly needs to go. I also like Cyrus now as it is essentialy self replacing if you decided to thrown in a Dialga G in there instead.

I was also toying with the idea of using Ambipom (MT) make them discard if they don't want the 80 damage.

I think Team Galactic's Wager is a much better card than Team Galactic Mars since you run Claydol.

Hope this helps ^_^

I'd suggest taking out 1-0-1 Alakazam because it is a waste of room. Put in Rotom because Giratina Lv.X is hard to power up. Maybe 2-2 Weavile SW?

I think Team Galactic's Wager is a much better card than Team Galactic Mars since you run Claydol.

Hope this helps ^_^

The problem with wager is you run the risk of giving them 6 cards, which is the opposite of what you really want to do with a hand disruption deck, unless it's like a turn one type of thing.

The problem with wager is you run the risk of giving them 6 cards, which is the opposite of what you really want to do with a hand disruption deck, unless it's like a turn one type of thing.

Excatly.

Plus, Giratina does the same thing but without the row-sham-bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back