Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

California States "Gabe's" Tourney Report

Gabriel

This week I decided to play a palkia g in my deck over a honchkrow/weavile. I received mixed results.

Rd. 1 vs lady with torterra
I start with toxicroak she starts with treecko. She does call for friends for a baltoy. I cyrus and grab e-gain psychic and anotha cyrus. I play skuntank on the bench and a galactic HQ then KO her treecko. she struggles to get anything going because I cyrus for power spray+ another cyrus every turn. I think she killed one toxicroak sometime during the game but I had something else on my bench to finish the job. 0-5 on prizes.
1-0

Rd. 2 vs kid with ursuring MT/weavile SW
I start with dialga to his sneasel and im going second. he does double slap for 10. I cyrus for a metal egain and another cyrus. play some stuff on my bench and deafen. eventually he gets an ursuring fighting my dialga that I just poketurn back to my hand and fight with like another dialga or something. at some point in the game he did a chip off with weavile and I had around 14 cards in my hand. I bench him out like 2-6 on prizes.
2-0

Rd. 3 vs guy with gg/weavile
this guy was a really slow rolling player. I don’t remember what I started with but I was fighting him dialga and it was almost killed so I poke turned it and sent up my palkia g which I then leveled up to kill his active gardevoir with hydro shoot since he had no other energy on board and a benched ralts gallade claydol. this was the only prize I took all game because he played so slow. 5-6 on prizes.

Rd. 4 vs jason gonzalez with machamp
I knew this game was worth some points to me since he had around 40 points on me. I fight his machamps with toxicroak and he levels up about 2-3 times to KO em with hurricane. it got to the point where I was ahead 2-3 on prizes and he had a damaged machamp that he level'd up to kill my croak to tie it up. the turn before I played pachi on my bench because I figuered he was going to level up and KO my croak. so my pachi KO's his champ lv x and now its 1-2 on prizes. he sends up a machop and rc's to machamp and takes out my pachi. I had a palkia g set up on my bench with 2 waters and a e-gain. I sent em up attached a metal to it leveled up and sniped his claydol for game. 0-1 on prizes.
4-0

Rd. 5 vs daniel chin with dialga g

we both had a dialga starts and I was going first. I attached and passed. he attached +egain and benched a bronzong g played cyrus for some stuff and deafen. I attach and deafen. he attaches evolves his benched baltoy to claydol does cosmic but I spray it and then he deafens. I attach to a benched dialga because I had bronzong in hand and I could just use galactic switch to move it back if my dialga wouldn’t be KO'd next turn and I deafen. he attaches and levels up to remove lost with 2 heads. the match doesn’t get any better and when he power sprays my uxie with 2 cards in hand I scoop.
4-1

Rd.6 vs stefan tobaco with machamp
I don’t remember exactly what happened except for the final turn. I know he prized two machamp and a machop so I wasn’t taking the match too serious. it took me around 8-10 turns before I finally got a stadium to toxicroak and skuntank him. I messed up one turn by doing a cyrus for something other than a power spray whether it was poketurn or e-gain I don’t remember but it gave him the turn of claydol which was enough to grab him a BTS and another claydol and two uxie. he caught up pretty fast and it was 2-1 on prizes lol. now it was my turn and I had an active crobat, a benched skuntank, dialga, toxicroak with 1 P to his active machamp lv x near death, double claydol, double uxie, and a uxie lv x with 1P on it. I was going to send up the toxicroak to KO his champ but I couldn’t do that or else his uxie would own it. I thought of doing crobat and he would need to have the machamp in hand + and energy in order to KO it. but then I saw bronzong g in hand and that was all I needed. I played the bronzong used galactic switch to move the P energy on my croak to my dialga, attached a SP metal to dialga retreat crobat and deafen his machamp to KO it. now hes stuck and he sends up uxie and conceeds knowing next turn my dialga KOs any of his pokemon for game.
5-1

Rd. 7 vs craig lee with machamp
this was the biggest bad beat game of the day. I try to fight him with an early croak and skuntank but he KO's it with a champ X. I have my 2nd croak and my only nightly prized so im force to fight with either dialga/palkia. I fight with palkia KOing his champ X but not before I cyrus'd for a powerspray another cyrus and some stuff. palkia keeps on doing pearl breath KOing all of his little pixies and I power spray his uxie/claydol everyturn. it comes down to the point where I had my active palkia with full HP and he had a claydol with 30 on it and no bench and 1 card in hand. its 3-4 on prizes in my favor. he tries to cosmic, I spray. he plays the one card in his hand, duskball. he finds a uxie in the bottom 7 of his deck, plays it to set up and I have no more sprays. he gets all the cards he needs like bebe+more uxie machop rare candy machamp and by the end of his turn he has two machamps and warp points his claydol back to the bench and I give him some lame poke. eventually its 2-1 on prizes I killed something and grabbed a nightly from the prizes and nightly'd my croak into the deck and drew into egain and an energy with cynthias then uxie set up'd for the croak and I retreat my crobat then hit his machamp for 90+poison. he just does regimove and he gets a free final KO because I didn’t have another toxicroak on my bench to keep me in the game. wow!

5-2 missed cut by like 12 spots. shouldve been 8 rounds but for some reason wasn’t because the 5-2s were going as far back as 40th place+.

PROPS
beating two guys who had lots more points than I did
best friend taking the time out of the day to come play in the tourney for old time's sake
matt yuen making the cut in 16th place
glenn V getting 4th
mr. fontes making the cut
team LA guys
socal winning the event socal>norcal
free food from mauricio aguilar and g-unit
gino winning two weeks in a row
garcia making t4 two weeks in a row
team underground

SLOPS
losing to a duskball
regi move
7 rounds
being paired down twice giving me crap resistance
matt losing in t16
jake scrubbing the event
martin missing the cut after starting 5-0
josh bangle missing the cut
friend starting 3-0 ending 4-3
parking ticket

see ya'll at regionals!

Last edited:
Nice job Gabe. This is Jeff btw.

Sorry to hear about your beat after getting paired down, and that bad beat you got from Craig. Funny enough, before States even started, I was talking to Craig about his deck and he was all excited in telling me about his Regice tech. I don't think he realized that he wasn't the only one that thought of it. I should've just tried to convince him that it was a bad idea and your last match might've ended differently, haha. Like I said on Saturday, you'll do just fine at Regionals.

Btw, do you know what made Kevin C.'s Machamp deck so successful? Just good play or certain cards?

Back