Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

St. Louis hosting Regionals at South County Mall!

I don't see why prom is such a big deal for PokeGym. We're all nerds, it's not like we could get a date. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, the school I go to doesn't even have proms. If you want to dance with your girlfriend call her and have her come over to your house for a nice romantic night and a dance. Proms aren't the only place to dance you know. Throw a party with some friends if you're going to prom for that. Missing prom wont end the world. However, searching the word "Google" in Google's search engine will end the world.

I just want to wish everyone good luck one last time, it's gonna be a blast and I hope everyone has fun. There may only be 3 winners but there are never any losers at Vince's events!

I cannot wait to get here early on Saturday and do everything there is to do. It is going to be a blast, and if it is anything like last year, That will be AWESOME!!!!!

We are heading down tomorrow after school lets out.

As far as decks go you can expect a new red face paint from me and my mom. My brother is well... always unpredictable. :p

We are excited to be able to come to such and exciting event and we hope we leave you all with a good impression of ohio players (not it a we gonna PWN you way, but a polite and fun to be around way)
I hope to meet as many new people as I can my name is Ryne please be sure to come and find me :D

I'll be arriving Friday around 6 PM with Alex Brosseau and Matt Alvis. The regionals Vince ran in 2007 was a blast. I'm sure this will be no different. See you guys tomorrow.

Anyone who is thinking about heading out on Friday night for the Championship Arena should definitely go for it, it should be a ton of fun. Those who were at the events at the end of last year in Kansas City can probably attest that it was a great time for everyone.

The tables are up! The chairs are set!

The side events are ready to go!

I have some work to do, but I will be up there this afternoon for some more "pretty time"

Looking forward to seeing some of you all tonight...and a LOT of you all tomorrow!

Safe passage to all of my travelling friends!!!

Vince

Hate that the Nashville crew is gonna miss this. Their chauffer (me) came down with a nasty internal infection that caused a trip to the ER. I was told no travel and no food for 3-4 days. I hope everyone has a save trip there and back.

Rick

Ahhh!! I just woke up about to eat breakfast and get ready then heading out! See everyone soon!! =D

OK, from the big chair, who may be the only one awake from this event!!!

As you all know, the MS Valley Regional went off last night, and finished early this morning.

There were 281 people playing, and a load of great parents and support!

We had 2 new game stores come in to see the event, and decided that they want Pokemon at their stores, and an immediate parent volunteer to serve as league leader at one of the locations!!! WOW!

Now, we had some troubles...computer issues that the powers worked hard to save...an AC unit that went dead right at the beginning, which when combined with the computer issue, caused a lunch before round 1, and some other fun...but as I have said before...it is very easy to be a great person when an event is going smoothly. The real mettle of a staff takes place when the event has some problems.

My staff, boy, I have never been more happy, showed why I feel we are the best in the World, by the way you all stayed together as a team in the face of the fun problems!!! You guys are the best.

Now, a special thanks needs to go out to Chris of GameNite for sponsoring the event, serving as mall liason, and helping keep the temp down (as much as we could) and the wheels on! Chris also donated $260 in giftcards that were given to the first 100 players with other fun, so wow! Thanks Chris!

Special thanks needs to go out to Jason K....yes your World Champion, for coming in Friday night with his friends and doing an elite deck clinic, playing with the kids, and being a goodwill ambassador to the game. We had over 40 people come in to see Jason...and rumor has it that one of his tweaks and suggestions may have helped a Junior win $1000!!

On to the main event.

When 280 people come in to get registered, you had BETTER open your doors early. Heck, we had the doors half open at 8:00 and had about 20 people come in. We then had the doors FULLY open at 8:30, and the crowd started to develop.

Registration began just before 9:00, and the deckers were CRANKING the decklists, and everything went great! New players were being trained, help was being given, players were enjoying the trivia contest, who's that Pokemon contest and the pokeball challenge! Shortly thereafter Pokeball Dodgeball opened and the little guys started really having fun!

Registration closed at 10:30, and the data was being entered as fast as humanly possible, and we were set to go...and then the computer started getting tricky. Saves were made by the staff, the table numbers then became and issue and poof, rather than sitting and getting it worked out with players in the room, we sent everyone to lunch.

Everyone came back, the problems were corrected, and the event rocked on!

Finally, off we go...about 45 minutes off of ideal...but we were off!

On to the finals, in all divisions, where some big names were sitting on the outside just watching while others played for the title!

In the Seniors, the 4 players for the Trophies had NEVER won a Regionals trophy before! Given the competition, multiple Regionals/Nationals/Top Worlds competitors in the field, this was a HUGE accomplishment!

Congrats to my elite 4 in this event, which ended up with Louis from Memphis falling to Caitlyn from Missippi in a GREAT finals match! AJ from STL took 3rd and Michael from Boston, MA took 4th! What a spread for Regionals trophies! And this was the LITTLE division today! Only 65, with 2 of those being late entries after the cut was set!

The Juniors had about 80 in their division...with the princess rocking undefeated swiss, then losing in the top 16...happens to all the best players...the curse of the first it is called. They battled, and battled, those kids had a LONG day with 7 swiss rounds and a top 16, but in the end...we crowned a new regional champion! Chris of Mountain Grove, MO took the title over Dale! Kolton takes 3rd and Cole takes 4th!

Then we were on to the finale!! The masters with 130 competitors, 8 swiss rounds and a top 16. Once again, the curse of the first hit, but not until the round of 8, with the 1 seed falling after a 9-0 day...with a radical Amphy build!! The finals were the quickest of the event, with Chas of Memphis winning his first ever major title against the grizzled veteran Alex B whom most of us know as Big Chuck. Brian of St. Louis takes 3rd and Jake (known to many as DarkJake) takes 4th with a lot of great competition in the room!!!

Once again, late night, who makes the event fun? Did Ness make a cool new Pokeball Volleyball Game to keep the late nighters playing while the top 4 was playing? Did some PTO have the foresight to save a Pokeball for him? Yes to all! And with all the competitors gone, the running joke was that the room was starting to cool down a bit.

Back to the major props for the day.

Clay Mitchell...you kept the event running, and made sure I was able to keep smiling as we got through the troubles! That is why you will continue to be my best friend in the game.

Bernie...I am glad you agreed to be a part of this, and you definitely have a team member we will add next year! You kept those younger players happy and energized all day while keeping the event running, smooth and fair! Kentucky is lucky to have you...Pokemon is lucky to have you!

Ray Simmons...for being in the same state we don't see each other nearly enough! I am glad you had the time to come and help up keep the reigns on! Those Seniors had the best of the best judging, and I need to find my way out to more of your events!

Kendle...time to step up to the bigger events my friend! You are really developing into the next elite level judge coming from Missouri...I just hope Pokemon has the wisdom to utilize your skills.

Denise...a great team needs a great teammate. You made the side events smoother than ever...made sure we were all fed, and kept us all going...kept me going! Love ya' hon.

Mike Schell...you make these events special. Really special. Not just the pictures, but your whole presence and friendship really makes things go well, even when they are going a little bit astray. Thanks Mike!

Judy! You kept those kids with cookies, and kept everyone going! You are the soul of Belleville Pokemon!

Copper, Kaga, Lynn, any event would be lucky to have you as a head judge...you are definitely valuable members of my team!

Vanessa, Bob you all work so well together that every time I look up you are doing just what needs to be done! Yeah, Bob, we all have those issues from time to time! Still, don't know what I would do without your collaboration to keep the machines running with CK and Camerman! Bob the locksmith...Bob the computer guru...Bob the builder? Hey Vanessa, I have more than one artistic judge@! Bead sculpture, WOW!

Stephanie...what can I say my friend! Your warmth throughout the event and genuine caring makes the Juniors just a better place to be. You, and the whole junior team really made the event what it should have been for those players!

Matt...keeping those Seniors in check, along with everything else you do for the game! Watching Sophie come into her own has been amazing.

Randy Cates! My travelling companion, whose cool, and calm demeanor really makes everything go well! Your qualities as a judge are amazing...

Chris, every time I looked for you, you were working with a player, helping out a kid, doing just what needed to be done. Your art entry was so well done, and so well thought out...I was impressed.

Tino...once again, anything I want to say about you will simply embarass you, but I am proud to know you, and proud of everything you are as a young man. You have the innate ability to make people feel at ease, and to be able to quietly mentor those around you.

Peter P-C aka supersub! You really gave us all the break we needed! Thanks for being a part of the insanity!

Joel Conrad...how do you always play a major part in my events...when I don't ever remember half the stuff you do. You are the ultimate damage control survivor. Your sound system made the sound travel very well through the heat. Does your company have mobile AC units?

To all the parents, players, and volunteers who stepped forward to make Pokeball Dodgeball a success, and at times to remind players that life is good when we are playing Pokemon!

I look forward to next year with a cooler, gentler Regional.

Thanks to Texas to making me feel better...7 swiss rounds and they ended at 2:00+ as well.

Large events are long events!

See you all on the Pokemon Trail! Event is uploaded, and the rest...is history.

Vince -Meganium45

Last edited:
This event was awesome. I haven't seen sooo many people since last years Nationals!

The only minor problem was the heat IMO but that was very unexpected to happen, but easy to deal with ex. Rolling up the pants lol.

Can't wait to Nationals! and all of ur events Vince =DD

Vince,

Great job to you and your team! This was an outstanding event!

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I believe there were 133 masters in the event.

Last edited:
Thank you for the Props Vince! I always enjoy working side by side with you and I owe you for getting me on the judging path. You are amazing and so is your wife! I will have to make you one of my infamous beaded works of art! Thanks for a great Regionals, as always!

Venessa

Thanks Vince,

I had a wonderful time thanks to all the Players because after all this is for you, Thanks to all the judges some I've never meet and I hope I can meet again in a less stressful environment so we can actually learn each others names instead of just "hey you" which is what I usually answer to anyway.
Thanks to Mike Schell for all the assistance with T.O.M. it is a real fickle program, but improvise, adapt and overcome, Thanks to all the Players you don't see Sportsmanship like that at any other event be it Baseball, Soccer or whatever. Kendle ,Ray, Clay, Bernie you guys were awesome, to all my fellow staff members thank you for helping when I needed an extra pair of hands.

Hope I can be of assistance again Vince if you need me just call.

Bob Brown "The Computer Guru" which is a laughable title but I do appreciate the compliment.

Back