Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

All vendors but one forbidden at U.S. Nationals?

Until, some Cops pull up wondering what your doing with a suit case and try to sell stuff out of your car.

No silly, if I had a car, I wouldn't need a suitcase as I could just sell out of the trunk of the car. :tongue:

Drew

Last edited:
They are buying this year, and should have a "Buy List" Sheet available before the event.

I have asked them to post it here, so the public could see it.

Having a buy list sheet protects all involved who are worried about being "suckered" into selling a card for too little.

Seriously, check out their prices on their website, or for their e-bay name:

Gamingbroker

Have fun. I know a LOT of the big players buy a LOT of stuff from them.

Vince

Last edited:
I'd really like if someone could get on here and comment on Gathering Grounds's selection, prices, etc.

On March 10th, after talking by phone with a Gathering Ground rep by phone, I emailed them an order and paid via PayPal. They emailed back: "We will ship it out tomorrow."

A couple of days went by and I hadn't received a shipping notice via email, so on March 12, I emailed to ask if they had received the PayPal payment and also asked when I might expect them to ship my order.

No reply.

On Friday, March 13, I called the store repeatedly but each time I called, their automatic telephone answering system hung up on me.

So, on March 13 I emailed again, alerting them to the malfunction in their phone system and asking them to please let me know if my payment had gotten through and when they will be shipping my order.

No reply.

I called again on Tuesday, March 17, and finally got through. They told me that my order had been already been shipped out. I asked when exactly it had been shipped, and after some hemming and hawing they said it had been shipped the previous day. I ask for a tracking number and they said there was no tracking number, but that I would have my order in 2 or 3 days.

Two days later, on March 19, I received an email from a third party stating: "A package was shipped to you on 03/19/2009 via U.S. Postal Service...EBAYid: GamingBroker, www.GatheringGround.com." So it appears that my order had not really been shipped on Monday, the sixteenth at all, as the rep on the phone had told me. And that it was in fact shipped two days after I had finally gotten through to them on the phone. not the day before my call as they had told me over the phone.

As of today, March 20th, the USPS "Track & Confirm" web page tells me that: "Your item was processed and left our HAZELWOOD, MO 63042 facility on March 20, 2009. "

It would seem that the reason Gathering Ground couldn't give me a tracking number when I called on the 17th was because the package hadn't really been shipped at all. But, once it had been actually shipped, two days later, I received a shipping notice with a tracking numbr from a third party shipping service.

I realize that most card shops are mom & pop operations run by folks who are really into cards and gaming and that I shouldn't expect the same speed of order processing and promptness of email communication that I get when I order from that behemoth, Amazon.com. I'm a believer in the idea that "Small is Beautiful" and count it as part of the charm of dealing with small card shops run by aficionados that the business practices may well be idiosyncratic and that my order may get lost or misplaced or that they may not have the stock on hand to fill my order.

What disappoints me about this transaction is not the slowness in processing my order, or the failure to respond to my emails, but rather their telling me that my order had been shipped when it appears that it had not been shipped at all. Telling a customer that his order has already been shipped when it has not been shipped is not the way to build customer confidence, trust or loyalty. What is ironic is that when I called to check on my order, I was hoping that the order had not been shipped yet, so that I could add some more cards to the order. So by misinforming me that the order had already been shipped, Gathering Ground lost an additional order.

I suppose I owe to Gathering Ground the courtesy of forwarding them a copy of this post so that they may respond and give their side of this story. Perhaps I have misconstrued the facts of this matter. I'll wait until I finally receive my order. The postmark on the package will probably be a more reliable indicator of when the package was actually shipped than the emailed shipping notification.

UPDATE, March 21: Today my order from Gathering Ground arrived in the mail along with an order from Poke-Corner which I had placed on the same day I placed the Gathering Ground order. Both orders were complete and the cards in both orders were in mint condition.

The difference between them?

The same day I placed my order with Poke-Corner I received an email from them confirming receipt of my order. I received no confirmation from Gathering Ground, so the following day I emailed them but never got a reply.

Poke-Corner emailed me to advise me that my order would be delayed because 7 of the cards I had ordered were out of stock. But they assured me that they would have the cards by the following week and would ship the cards then. I emailed Gathering Ground a second time to check on my order, but got no response to my second email either. When I tried to call Gathering Ground their automated phone system hung up on me over and over.

The following week I received an email from Poke-Corner telling me my order had been shipped and providing me with a tracking number. I called Gathering Ground and they said my order had been shipped the day before but were unable to provide me with a tracking number.

So both sellers took exactly the same amount of time to fill my orders; the difference between them was communication. Poke-Corner kept me up to date on the status of my order while Gathering Ground left me worrying that I'd been the victim of an online scam.

Would I order from Gathering Ground again? Sure! I got all the cards I ordered from them, but it was a hassle. Next time I would probably check Poke-Corner's web page first and even if they charged a little more for certain cards, I would probably order from them, because I like to know the status of my order right from the moment I place it.

Last edited:
Well, I really don't care either way. Gathering Ground has always been a staple in our leagues purchase of everything Pokemon, and I drive nearly 2 hours to do so because of their prices and their reputation with our league. I have spoken with them and they plan on having many many things for Nationals and have already begun to collect Japanese Pokemon items. You do realize that they are one of the largest online sellers correct? I don't see them jacking up their prices just because they will be the only ones there.

What you all have to realize, is that you are really arguing between there being ONE vendor at Nationals (GG), or there being NO vendors at all at Nationals.

I have seen the back side of the struggle, and know that, but for persistance and actions, there may very well be NO vendors this year at Nationals.

Do they have issues from time to time, sure. Every business does.

Vince

Last edited:
Then you simply explian the rules of capitolism to him, as long as youre on public propery then they cant do anything.

Not quite, and I'm sure Lawman can confirm or deny, but you cannot just setup shop and sell things in public. That's why shops have to have permits and legal liability for the things they sell. This also includes the sales tax that must be accounted for, legally. A police officer CAN and most likely WILL ask you to leave public property, but I'm sure if you persist they can take action.

I really think everyone needs to thank the Gathering Ground for fighting to be at Nationals or there wouldn't be ANY vendors at Nationals. Why does everyone have to bicker about everything? "Why is Nat's in St. Louis?" "Why is there only one vendor?". The Gathering Ground is amazing and they have competitive prices. You have to realize that EVERY business has to make some sort of profit for what they do. I don't see them putting their reputation on the line in order to make an extra buck by jacking up prices.

Not quite, and I'm sure Lawman can confirm or deny, but you cannot just setup shop and sell things in public. That's why shops have to have permits and legal liability for the things they sell. This also includes the sales tax that must be accounted for, legally. A police officer CAN and most likely WILL ask you to leave public property, but I'm sure if you persist they can take action.

You only need a permit if you have a building or reach a certain amount of money (I think its like $1,000 a year but im not sure).

How public are you talking, getto overlord? You cannot sell things in parks or on the grounds of libraries. You cannot sell things in malls or on the sidewalks of shopping centers without approval.

What you all have to realize, is that you are really arguing between there being ONE vendor at Nationals (GG), or there being NO vendors at all at Nationals.
That's unfortunate that those are the two sides.
I was going to stay away from GG if they were at Nats this year. However, that applied to when Nats was at Origins. If there was to be one vendor at Nats, I would hope it not be GG. Now that GG is the only vender, I have to adjust to hoping that my experience with GG is better than my first one. I and a few friends as well as some league players who were at Nats last year had negative experiences with them.

i'm also wondering if they're doing the thing where they buy commons and uncommons off of people. anyone have conformation on it? (wanna sell a bunch of old cards, it is everything from BS-RR right?)

gathering grounds probably made a HUGE profit last year, so guess what they will again this year to!! they sell each card individually after they buy them from us.

Bleh - after checking out the sites I can assure you that even though gg's boxes are probably some of the cheapest I've seen I could say different about their singles. I was hoping to unload my cards to sell to vendors such as bulk but from what I see it's not as good as what other vendors I kno pay for. Bleh - I guess I'll have to unload at gencon or something.

Any Pokémon Ex Lv. X or Shining Card - Prices Vary
Any Pokémon Uncommon - $.01 each (For commons and uncommons I've actually seen on average 2 cents - on the high I've seen 4)
Any Pokémon Common - $.01 each
Any Pokémon Rare - $.05 each (I've seen on average 10 cents.... on the high 25 cents)
Any Pokémon Reverse Holo - $.10 each (Average 15-20)
Any Pokémon Regular Holo - $.25 each (Average 35)

I would say that's probably a little under standard pricing of what I've seen - Since Regular holo should actually mean holo rare : /

But I'll remain optimistic about their buylist however, I could see their still updating the buy list and some of the cards on are actually pretty good, other then that I'll have to wait to see what I actually think of the store, hopefully singles might be marked down less....

the only reason I complain is because I try to unload my excess stuff to try to help recoup some of the losses paid for on the trip, or I could just optimistic and think I'll win nationals :)

Bleh - after checking out the sites I can assure you that even though gg's boxes are probably some of the cheapest I've seen I could say different about their singles. I was hoping to unload my cards to sell to vendors such as bulk but from what I see it's not as good as what other vendors I kno pay for. Bleh - I guess I'll have to unload at gencon or something.

Any Pokémon Ex Lv. X or Shining Card - Prices Vary
Any Pokémon Uncommon - $.01 each (For commons and uncommons I've actually seen on average 2 cents - on the high I've seen 4)
Any Pokémon Common - $.01 each
Any Pokémon Rare - $.05 each (I've seen on average 10 cents.... on the high 25 cents)
Any Pokémon Reverse Holo - $.10 each (Average 15-20)
Any Pokémon Regular Holo - $.25 each (Average 35)

I would say that's probably a little under standard pricing of what I've seen - Since Regular holo should actually mean holo rare : /

But I'll remain optimistic about their buylist however, I could see their still updating the buy list and some of the cards on are actually pretty good, other then that I'll have to wait to see what I actually think of the store, hopefully singles might be marked down less....

the only reason I complain is because I try to unload my excess stuff to try to help recoup some of the losses paid for on the trip, or I could just optimistic and think I'll win nationals :)

pokecorner.com probably will give you alot more, but that involves shipping it to them.

Why does everyone feel the need to complain about everything??? Just be glad you aren't paying a badge price to get in to Nat's and be glad we even have a Vendor. Jason had to fight to get this. Jason and the Gathering Grounds group are great people to deal with. His prices are more than fair and he does everything he can to please the Pokemon Community. So quit complaining and suck it up.....

Why does everyone feel the need to complain about everything??? Just be glad you aren't paying a badge price to get in to Nat's and be glad we even have a Vendor. Jason had to fight to get this. Jason and the Gathering Grounds group are great people to deal with. His prices are more than fair and he does everything he can to please the Pokemon Community. So quit complaining and suck it up.....

Wow, you have no idea do you. First off, while Nationals moving away from Origins for most is a good thing, most people would rather go to Origins. There is overall more to do and it is a lot of fun. Now granted I can't say it will be worse, but I can say there is things at Origins to do if you don't want to play Pokemon or if your going with someone (like a Guardian) and don't play Pokemon but play something else you may not go now. As far as the rest of the stuff, I am not going to even comment on that except for the last line. People are venting about what they don't like. They are ALLOWED to do so, because by doing so they let POP/PUI know what they are okay with and what they aren't. A great example is a few years ago they only gave out 12 invites in NA total through ratings. There was a long discussion that if Ratings invites didn't have trips but we had more it would be better, the next year that is EXACTLY what happened. They listened to us and made a choice to honor our request. So telling people to "quit complaining and suck it up" isn't needed as the Pokegym is a great place to do just that.

Drew

Back