Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Flygod Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, when I posted this deck I was tempted to list why I wouldn't use Steven's Advice, but I KNEW everyone on the forum would be like "Play Steven's" and figured it'd be a good debate.

Here's my reason for not playing Steven's Advice. This ties in with how I play my deck. The goal of this deck is to punch a lot of energy in my hand, then Shower it all down with Flygon. I don't TYPICALLY ATTACK with Flygon. I think everyone's getting the wrong impression with how I use this deck. I don't use Steven's because simply, my hand's too big to play multiples of the card, that should be academic.

Here's why I use 4 Celio's. I get Delcatty out ASAP. With 4 Dunsparce, 4 Celio's, and 2/2 Delcatty, I in essense have a 6/6 line.

Here's why I use Compassion. It's part of my strategy.

STRATEGY: Build up the bench, such as Benched Magnetons, another Flygon evolutionary line (Trapinch, Vibrava, Flygon), Energy Shower all the energy I have in my hand to them, retreat/Switch/Compassion the Active Flygon and attack. I NEVER play more than 4 energy to a Flygon EVER, that's just stupid.

While, I appreciate the thoughts, I don't think I was clear enough on my explanation of the deck. I attack with Magneton AND Flygon, not just Flygon.

So basically...I get Delcatty draw a crap load of cards with TV Reporters, Delcatty (ies), Celio's for my lines, Seeker for Reporters or Celio's ===> Build up one Flygon ===> Energy Shower to my BENCH ===> Scoop/Retreat the Active Flygon ===> Deal lots of damage.

Another thing, one of the greatest signs of n00bism is fighting over who "created a deck." The goal of deckmaking isn't ego flaunting, but rather, taking an idea and improving upon it as a whole. That's why NEO in it's prime was so outstanding. I don't care WHO played this deck before, or who is playing it now, it's an idea I listed with my take, case closed.

EDIT: One reason, that I just don't use Blastoise is that Blastoise runs the same amount of energy as I do, point being they aren't running a HUGE amount that it's easy to draw. Also, I am not keen on damaging myself when I attach my energy. Blasteton is a really good deck, it's just probably not for me. EDIT

Keep them coming, thanks guys!

~Jim

Last edited:
the only problem i see is how often are you gonna be stuck with celio's when you need energy/draw? imo i'd rather put in jirachi, but even that's risky....I mean i see why you don't want to use steven's, that's ok, but i wouldn't play 4 celio's....way to much of an overload, especially late game when set up, they sit in hand.

Jim Ferrell said:
Okay, when I posted this deck I was tempted to list why I wouldn't use Steven's Advice, but I KNEW everyone on the forum would be like "Play Steven's" and figured it'd be a good debate.

Here's my reason for not playing Steven's Advice. This ties in with how I play my deck. The goal of this deck is to punch a lot of energy in my hand, then Shower it all down with Flygon. I don't TYPICALLY ATTACK with Flygon. I think everyone's getting the wrong impression with how I use this deck. I don't use Steven's because simply, my hand's too big to play multiples of the card, that should be academic.

Jim, I've been noticing the same thing regarding hand sizes in the decks I've been building. I was ending up with a Steven's (or two) in my hand, but my hand was 9-11 cards large. My hand sizes with my newer trainer engine seem to be larger. As a result, I've reduced to no more than 2 Steven's in my decks.

With the Delcatty/Magneton draw combo in place, I agree that there is little reason for you to have Steven's (or even POR) in this deck.

Maybe you could take out all four TV Reporters and put in 4 Bill's Maintenances. I was thinking about the "thining of the deck". You shuffle the trainer or pokemon into your deck and hopefully draw energy. If you compare the end results of 4 TV Reporter to 4 Bill's Maintenances, you have not discarded 4 cards, which could be combo'd with magneton, and instead shuffled 4 non-energy cards into your deck. I just feel with enough draw, you might want some shuffling back into your deck. You don't want any oak's research, because that would cancel out the whole strategy of putting energy in your hand.

Tis' a very tight deck. ANother idea of getting energy is the magma/aqua cards that search your deck for either pokemon or energy, two of a combination. Forget the pokemon stuff though.

Good luck again.

I can see a few subtle points that could make Flygon better than Blastoise such as the damage and Flygon being a good type addition with good resistances. Even so, I don't think that matters as much as the consistancy Blastoise has over this. Blastoise is just a lot easier to get more nrg in play and does it throughout the game.

Prime said:
Maybe you could take out all four TV Reporters and put in 4 Bill's Maintenances. I was thinking about the "thining of the deck". You shuffle the trainer or pokemon into your deck and hopefully draw energy. If you compare the end results of 4 TV Reporter to 4 Bill's Maintenances, you have not discarded 4 cards, which could be combo'd with magneton, and instead shuffled 4 non-energy cards into your deck. I just feel with enough draw, you might want some shuffling back into your deck. You don't want any oak's research, because that would cancel out the whole strategy of putting energy in your hand.

Tis' a very tight deck. ANother idea of getting energy is the magma/aqua cards that search your deck for either pokemon or energy, two of a combination. Forget the pokemon stuff though.

Good luck again.
I think a better strat than putting in Bill's Maintenance would be to basically draw the entire deck minus a couple cards, attack, and then POR everything back. That way you don't have to worry about thinning your decks in hopes of drawing more energy. In any case, IMO TVR is generally better than Bill's Maintenance when played with Magneton.

So I'd play TVR and then POR for anti-decking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back