Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why,why,why,omg Why

crazypokemon

why is the old cards nowadays sold so cheap.
almost any base holo now can be bought online for $1.50-10 bucks now with th exception of charizard being sold for like 30 bucks but even the shadowless cards are pretty cheap now.

can someone tell me what to invest when it comes into pokemon cards.
if anyone has seen my threads they will know i collect uncut sheets.
should i just stick with that,is that the best investment.
because i dont want to buy cards now for like 50 dollars for 1 rare holo card then in 5 years from now its sold for like 3 bucks.
Now i dont collect for money.
i collect because its fun and its a good hobby.
to be honest i dont think i will sell any of my cards but i will still like it to have some cash value so i can feel better about myself.
it sickens me to see thousands of mint holo cards sold for a couple of hundred in a lot on ebay.
why does it seem to be more money seen when buying cards then it is selling it

ok i need alist of cards that will ALWAYS be worth something.
tell me a list of cards i should buy past present or future.
also should i still collect sheets is that good what im doing collecting those(by the way just got number 29,1 short from 30 sheets total)
make a list of cards i should start getting and a list i shouldent even think about.
and tell me what cards i should most definitly get thats a psa 10 grade and what difference in value/trust does it make in psa 10 card vs map 10 or any other graded card.

Well i thank that since there older and theres some miny of them thats one reson and also there obsolete in the turnament world and that has something to do with it. I know what your talking about i have thousens of older cards from base to neo and it makes me mad that the cards that was so hard to get back then and was inbetween 20 to 75 dollars then is now like 5 to 15 at most and like you i don't thank i'm going to sell them but it's nice to know that your putting your money in to something that can help you if needed

thank you i thought i was the only one.so at least one other agrees with me.

Well i thank that since there older and theres some miny of them thats one reson and also there obsolete in the turnament world and that has something to do with it. I know what your talking about i have thousens of older cards from base to neo and it makes me mad that the cards that was so hard to get back then and was inbetween 20 to 75 dollars then is now like 5 to 15 at most and like you i don't thank i'm going to sell them but it's nice to know that your putting your money in to something that can help you if needed

The reason this is why is because the players are the main impact to the secondary market. Collectors still have an impact, they just don't really effect old cards, just the rare cards, like trophy cards or rare misprints and promos.

Easy answer: Supply vs. Demand.

And just like ANY collectible, it's impossible to predict what will move up or down in value in the future. If there was a "sure thing" we'd all be buying it. Best advice: buy what you like and then if it doesn't skyrocket in value it doesn't matter because you like it.

Easy answer: Supply vs. Demand.

And just like ANY collectible, it's impossible to predict what will move up or down in value in the future. If there was a "sure thing" we'd all be buying it. Best advice: buy what you like and then if it doesn't skyrocket in value it doesn't matter because you like it.

Pretty much. The really old cards will shoot up again in value in a few years, maybe more, since they will become harder and harder to find as more are destroyed or lost. People are interested in things with nostalgic value... however, cards in the middle, such as the EX sets, will have to wait a loooong time to go back up in price to what they once were.

There will always be a significant supply of most Pokémon TCG cards... however, once a non-promo, non-uberrare card is rotated, the demand plummets.

I'm always thinking that Pokemon cards will increase dramatically in value in the future or the far fauture like baseball cards in Amerika that are selling now for thousands of dollars because they will get increasingly rare....but then again, I'm always very positive on these sort of things so maybe I'm not such a reliable source...:tongue:

LOL, old cards will not come back. High prices exist because of the player base, not the collector base, so once rotated, they will generally not go back up in value. Finally, I would advise that you collect and invest in things that have real, not manufactured rarity. If you are committed to a Pokemon collection, why don't you just wait until the cards are rotated out of play before you buy?

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Oh, and the reason baseball cards have been such a good investment, is that the demand for early cards increases once a player becomes a star. When Babe Ruth was in bubble gum packs, he was not nearly as well known as he is now, and they never made anymore. Pikachu has always been a star, so they made millions to begin with. Invest elsewhere.

Last edited:
LOL, old cards will not come back. High prices exist because of the player base, not the collector base, so once rotated, they will generally not go back up in value. Finally, I would advise that you collect and invest in things that have real, not manufactured rarity. If you are committed to a Pokemon collection, why don't you just wait until the cards are rotated out of play before you buy?

Oh yes, I should just throw my PSA10 graded BASE SET charizard in the trash, just like I should throw all my Lugia ex, Charizard ex and Wailord ex out :rolleyes:

so what cards should i collect.
right now im collecting rares,commons,and uncommons also im collecting uncut card sheets.
i have been collecting holo cards for the longest so im kinda taking a break from that,
so anyway i just started collecting the non holo cards.
well im still going to collect uncut card sheets but what about holos should i still collect those or take a break from it for now or what about the non holo cards.
what should i do,what should i collect non holo or holo or alittle of both or take turns.
im still collecting sheets thats a definite.
im also collecting factory sealed pokemon games.
i was thinking of collecting packs one character pack for each set.
example base packs have 3 chracters charizard,blastoise and venusar so i would have to get c/v/b packs and fossil is aerodactyl zapdos and lapras.
1 character of each pack from each set.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Oh, and the reason baseball cards have been such a good investment, is that the demand for early cards increases once a player becomes a star. When Babe Ruth was in bubble gum packs, he was not nearly as well known as he is now, and they never made anymore. Pikachu has always been a star, so they made millions to begin with. Invest elsewhere.

its funny i dont really have any first edition cards.
i dont have too many.
also should i collect foreign cards
should i collect spanish german or any other language cards.

get the first edition holo cards from the first few sets
they seem to be worth the must
*besides ex*

Collections in general are driven by two things, rarity and demand. Who wants the older cards? Are they a piece of history? Old baseball cards are valuable because lots of people like baseball and love the history of the game. Old rare baseball cards are of value to the people that really love baseball. Who loves old Pokemon cards?

Personally I think that as a collectors item, Pokemon are a bad collectible since their value seems to be mostly for the active tournament scene. Remember what drives collect ability is rarity. Pokemon continues to make many versions of the same card that are largely variations of a theme. Perhaps the original pkemeon will be worth something, but I doubt the later sets will be worth much.

Also the economy sucks...lots of people are hurting and paying lots of money for penny card stock with no inherent value (such as a coin) is likely driving down prices.

thats why now is the best time to get the collection cards
while the economy is doing poorly we can perhapps get our collection wants for cheaper
and eventuall when the economy rises so will the card prices.

Because of supply and demand, the value of a card will drop sharply as soon as it is rotated out. However, as time goes on, the supply will decrease as cards are damaged or lost, while the demand remains constant. Therefore, the price will gradually begin to increase again after a time. Even with this in mind, the only cards that are ever going to be worth enough to be good investments are misprints, trophy cards, ultra rare cards, and anything with Charizard in its name.

It is indeed a good time to be buying collectibles as the market is in the toilet now, but don't get sucked into the nonsense argument that old cards are being destroyed and lost and demand is constant. Within a few years of rotation, no more of the rare cards are being lost or destroyed. They are in collections and dealer hands. And for the most part, demand is constant to trending down except for the exceptional trophy cards.

Incidentally, its also a good time to buy rare coins (non-gold) and art as well, but nobody has any money these days. If it were easy to take advantage of the opportunities, they wouldn't be opportunities.

It is indeed a good time to be buying collectibles as the market is in the toilet now, but don't get sucked into the nonsense argument that old cards are being destroyed and lost and demand is constant. Within a few years of rotation, no more of the rare cards are being lost or destroyed. They are in collections and dealer hands. And for the most part, demand is constant to trending down except for the exceptional trophy cards.

Most of the mint condition old cards are either in the hands of collectors, who won't trade them, or internet companies like PokéOrder, that charge ridiculous prices. Therefore, the supply that people are actually willing to sell/trade is very small and decreasing every day. And if demand is constant with supply decreasing, the price will still go up. In fact, even if the demand is decreasing a small amount, the supply is decreasing faster, meaning that prices will still go up.

Of course, even with this, the only cards worth investing in are ultra rares like Shining Pokémon and Pokémon-* (and Charizard).

What so special about charizard?
why is charizard gonna be more expensive?
Why not blastoise or Venusaur?
or any other pokemon for that matter?

Back