Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

how has the recession impacted your ability to play the pokemon tcg?

Politoed EX

just as the title asks, how has the recession impacted your ability to play the pokemon tcg?
with some staple cards, such as Uxies and Claydols, going for $20+, and the expenses of single booster packs and boxes, i would think that many people who play the pokemon tcg who have been impacted by these tough economic times would have to limit their spending on the pokemon tcg or maybe even cut their spending entirely.
so i was just wondering, if the economy has or has not effected your ability to play the pokemon tcg, and if it has, how so?
has the recession impacted your ability to stay competitive in this game?

It affected my family mostly with traveling. Most of our cards come from judge support and my boys' wins but we had to think and plan carefully for Nationals and now that one of my sons looks to be getting an invite we are trying to figure out how to get him to Worlds. We were able to drive to St. Louis which definitely saved on expenses. I packed a cooler full of sandwich fixings and snacks and juice boxes and our hotel had free breakfast so we only had to pay for one meal a day. San Diego seems to be an expensive city and coming from Ohio our only travel option is air. So the whole family will not be able to attend and I'm hoping that some airline will lower fares soon. And no cooler unless I stuff a soft one in the suitcase. Luckily, I did find a reasonable hotel with free breakfast.

Between Judge support and running my own League, I've had no problems. Just gotta find the time to actually, y'know, play this game. It's nice to be able to drive everywhere, rather than fly. I'll remember the cooler sandwich thing for next year, Heather!

heather, at orlando worlds i bought a $5 styrofoam cooler for my room when we made a snack/soda run and just kept filling it with ice from the machines. much cheaper than paying the rental fee for a refrigerator; i left it in the room when i checked out.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/forms/cci09_shuttle.pdf is the shuttle map for san diego comic-con: the hilton is #31 on the map, and ralph's supermarket is #20. (*note there IS no shuttle for worlds, this is SDCC's map!*).

hope this helps!
'mom

^ i agree. $8 is ridiculous

to answer my own question. it effected me this season, i wasnt able to travel to any tournaments outside my area, and i really didnt buy any packs or anything since, at that time, i didnt have a job.
a major reason why i didnt play too much this season.
but now that i got a job, i can start playing again next season :thumb:

Last edited:
You act like it's super easy to get money as a kid when it's definitely not. My parents don't give me money. At least adults have the oppurtunity to make stable income.

lol, so then the recession wouldnt affect you, regaurdless. why are you posting?

Back