Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

This game needs better player appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think along with this they should have Ironman weight competitions for all the Pokedads as a side event.
That would be awesome. I would laugh.
Actually, I just don't think social interactions are all that fun. :p
Well, then, judging by POP's apparent standpoint, you're in the game for the wrong reasons. As such, it's obvious that your incessant rambling will fall (and is falling) on deaf ears.

That's so... sad. :frown:

I share your sentiments on that one. Well actually I had the same notion as Darth Pika on Social Interaction not being fun before. Yeah it is really a sad world believe me. Being here in the TCG is tohave fun, meeting new people and build friendships in a fulfilling was despite competition benefits [prizes] and the like. True who does not to win big but is it really the only fulfilling thing?

If he uses this same attitude in real life, I doubt many people want to hang out with him. That could be why he doesn't find social interactions fun. Or maybe he's exaggerating just to have an argument.

Why are you whining about whiners?

It's SO ANNOYING to read about WHINING, and here you are, whining.

Go figure.

that isn't whining. that's a wake up call. this is a game plain and simple. worlds is a privilege, not a right. as such you should be happy with what you do have instead of lamenting that which you don't. people, and by people i mean the vast majority of us who buy the cards and play the game, do so for fun. we know the likelihood of winning an invite is nigh impossible.

i'm also saying that you are missing the larger picture, that international events are so people of different nationalities can come together and compete on the world stage. competitively, yes, but more importantly with sportsmanship, spirit of the game, and humility. frankly, if the game isn't fun to you, you shouldn't play. maybe it's not for you regardless of your skill level.

personally, if this is the best we have to represent us, as the U.S., i would rather we not be represented. the way many people act about this game is quite embarrassing. i shudder to think of the impression those from other nationalities, who attend worlds, are left with regarding americans. if i were one, win or lose, i would be ashamed.

i am truly sorry if you missed the point of this post. it was simply to ask you lucky few to represent the U.S. at worlds(and i know all worlds invities aren't like this, but for those of you who are) to do so with dignity instead of malice. that's it. appreciate that you are fortunate enough to even go.

This coming from a person who doesn't play the TCG game.
who said i don't play??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The prize support in this game in general is awful these days, not just the rating system. It's clear that pokemon makes more money than almost any other american card game. How is it that the prize support does not reflect this? Heck, worlds invites cost ABSOLUTELY nothing, yet they still are not given, even though America deserves them for having a higher proportion of players. This isn't about me, nor did Ryanvergal make his statements about him. It's about america. It's about proper representation. There are many skilled, deserving players that do not attend worlds due to one bad tournament while run off the mill players from other countries get in with ease. How does this properly represent the US? As I said before, I am not whining for my own sake, I will be going to worlds with, or without an invite. I am only stating what is clearly best for a fair world competition.

As mentioned earlier, this game also lacks in material prize support as well. Although the worlds invite issue is a far more important issue, I will still bring this one to attention. I will use myself as an example, only because I know my own experiences best, not because I am complaining about myself. This year I have top 8ed a regional and top 64ed nationals. That's a pretty decent showing, not the best, but much better than most, considering the vast amount of players that attend these events. For both of the previous placings I went home with absolutely nothing. Pokemon issues no reward what-so-ever for good tournament placings. If this were to be compared with other card games, the difference is huge. tournaments with only 50 players give away decent prizes for their top 8. That's about 16% of the players that receive prize support. Pokemon, however, only rewards the top four for regionals, with well over 100 players. That is at most 4% of the players receiving prizes, while the tournament itself is twice as difficult to place in. It's not me, it's every high placing player that deserves a pat on the back.

How is it whining when all we ask for is what we deserve?

The prize support in this game in general is awful these days, not just the rating system. It's clear that pokemon makes more money than almost any other american card game. How is it that the prize support does not reflect this? Heck, worlds invites cost ABSOLUTELY nothing, yet they still are not given, even though America deserves them for having a higher proportion of players. This isn't about me, nor did Ryanvergal make his statements about him. It's about america. It's about proper representation. There are many skilled, deserving players that do not attend worlds due to one bad tournament while run off the mill players from other countries get in with ease. How does this properly represent the US? As I said before, I am not whining for my own sake, I will be going to worlds with, or without an invite. I am only stating what is clearly best for a fair world competition.

As mentioned earlier, this game also lacks in material prize support as well. Although the worlds invite issue is a far more important issue, I will still bring this one to attention. I will use myself as an example, only because I know my own experiences best, not because I am complaining about myself. This year I have top 8ed a regional and top 64ed nationals. That's a pretty decent showing, not the best, but much better than most, considering the vast amount of players that attend these events. For both of the previous placings I went home with absolutely nothing. Pokemon issues no reward what-so-ever for good tournament placings. If this were to be compared with other card games, the difference is huge. tournaments with only 50 players give away decent prizes for their top 8. That's about 16% of the players that receive prize support. Pokemon, however, only rewards the top four for regionals, with well over 100 players. That is at most 4% of the players receiving prizes, while the tournament itself is twice as difficult to place in. It's not me, it's every high placing player that deserves a pat on the back.

Think about this; while the winning player doesn't get AMAZING prizes, they give essentially tons of money to everyone who plays by not having a tournament fee. I think it's better to help everyone in the game then just the people who win

my whole point summed up... what makes you think you "deserve" it?

the way world is run, as far as invites go can easily be compared to the olympics. by your rationale those athletes from the smaller countries, who aren't as good as many from america that didn't even get to go to the olympics, shouldn't be allowed to compete because we americans are far superior? a little narrow minded maybe?

it's hard to explain when you refuse to see the forest for the trees...:confused:

i've said my 2 cents

Think about this; while the winning player doesn't get AMAZING prizes, they give essentially tons of money to everyone who plays by not having a tournament fee. I think it's better to help everyone in the game then just the people who win

Players spend hundreds of dollars on their pokemon collection each year. An entrance fee of 5$ (the prize other games I have played required) should not faze such players. Regardless, $5 from every player is nothing but fair when more incentive to place well exists; the 5$ would be worth the risk for even average players. Even the newer players would spend the money for something to do while their kid was playing in another division, or for the chance to experience a real tournament scene.

There are select few people that would actually mind a 5$ entrance fee if it meant legitimate prize support for top 8/16/32.

my whole point summed up... what makes you think you "deserve" it?

the way world is run, as far as invites go can easily be compared to the olympics. by your rationale those athletes from the smaller countries, who aren't as good as many from america that didn't even get to go to the olympics, shouldn't be allowed to compete because we americans are far superior? a little narrow minded maybe?

it's hard to explain when you refuse to see the forest for the trees...:confused:

i've said my 2 cents

As I said, I wasn't making it about me. It's about anyone that does well. Doing well deserves rewards, this logic is merely common sense. This logic in itself is what forms our nations society (capitalism).

The Olympics are nothing like Pokemon, even on a world scale. Pokemon players represent their pokemon abilities, while Olympic players represent their country as a whole. Furthermore, Olympic competitors spend their entire life polishing their skills to be literally... Perfect. In that regard, other countries clearly DO deserve equal representation. In pokemon, there is no such thing as perfection, nor has anyone spent their life accomplishing this mythical perfection (although I have played for 11 straight years). Furthermore, I said nothing about limiting other nation's abilities to qualify, in fact, if we increase our invites, who says that other countries do not deserve some form of increase themselves?

There are select few people that would actually mind a 5$ entrance fee if it meant legitimate prize support for top 8/16/32.

I disagree with that just a bit. I think the number of people that would mind an entrance fee of any kind would be a lot higher than you would think.

It seems to me that when people start off playing Pokemon, they enjoy it for what it is (otherwise, why bother?).

Then when they get older and want more things (big prizes, more invites), they expect the game to change its whole character so that it is in line with their expectations and their sense of what they 'deserve'.

Free events wise, not everyone gets that. In the UK each tournament aside from Nationals is about $10 to enter. But even with that, I agree with people complaining too much. I can usually make back my money in prizes won, and even if I don't it's not a big deal. To spend all your day at an enjoyable free event/ $10 event, spend the whole day out, get to catch up with friends and have a shot at winning prizes - people don't appreciate that.

You have to understand one of life's basic truths: what matters is not where you are, but how you got there. You're attitude is effectively reducing the entire POP season to a bunch of level grinding. That's all you talk about: how terrible your season will be, just because you can't get to worlds. That is not what it should be about. It should be about the fun you (should have) had along the way. If this is honestly the way you feel about it, you need to make sure that the same attitude does not follow you to real life. Life is worse than this, dude. Live as stress-free as possible while you still can.

QFT

there's always next year!

Fun Fact: This is the internet. This is a FORUM on the internet. Forums are generally used to complain, and brag. It is the nature of forums. It happens.

it could be MUCH worse... this could be Pojo *shudder*

Marvin, it's the fact that the US has less invites that the players there become hyper competitive, they have to work harder for invites so they're more cutthroat. If it were easier, maybe people wouldn't act the way they do.

US may have less invites proportionally, but US players dont have to shell out 2000 dollars to USE those invites.

So US players, kindly stop your whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back