Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

This game needs better player appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think calling people whiners is really helping the discussion at all. I'm willing to bet that any points that are being made would hold a lot more weight if they were done in a more respectful manner. That's not pointing out any one person, rather most of the posters in this thread as a whole. =\

As far as the topic at hand goes...it's a give and take. I know of some games that have better prize support than Pokemon and don't charge fees, and I also know of some that do charge fees and have fewer prizes. It's a discussion that could go on all day about whether a certain group is willing to pay for better prizes, or if the U.S. or any other country should have more invites, etc., etc.

I think the only definitive answer anyone can give is: If you don't want to play in a tournament, no one is making you. Pokemon is something that you are choosing to play, whether as a hobby or something more, it's your choice overall, and no one is making you do anything. If you don't like the tournament structure or the prize support, then don't play in this tournaments.

Of course, that's not meant to hinder any rational discussion. You as players have the right to let your voices be heard.

Yeah, that is just the figure I got for a few days stay in San Diego, with the flight and passport expenses and all that, with minor food costs included (I eat cheap but a lot). So yeah.

The rest of the world are useless, give us all their invites, only the US should play in Worlds

Ryan, your a good kid...........normally! But this rubbish about a US regionals being as hard as a European Nats........

By this statement you are calling Sami and Yacine rubbish and they would never make T32 in Worlds????

Really......come on now :rolleyes:

Ryan, your a good kid...........normally! But this rubbish about a US regionals being as hard as a European Nats........

By this statement you are calling Sami and Yacine rubbish and they would never make T32 in Worlds????

Actually, my states was bigger than many of the European nationals...

If US States = European Nats, then you would only get to play in your home State, and every State would have a tourney (just like European Nats).

That means players in States with a low number of players (Delaware has 14) would have a FAR easier time winning invites than players in Florida or California, even if you gave them less invites. It's EXACTLY the issue people are whining about now, only on a different level.

It doesn't 'solve' the problem at all.

Let me guess . . . this is being suggested by someone who won their State but didn't get an invite?

It seems to me that when people start off playing Pokemon, they enjoy it for what it is (otherwise, why bother?).

Then when they get older and want more things (big prizes, more invites), they expect the game to change its whole character so that it is in line with their expectations and their sense of what they 'deserve'.

Winner! Maybe some people shouldn't be playing this game if they expect their bottom line to be in the green instead of the red.

SOME European Nats. The UK, Italy, and a number of countries have very quality players and a large player base. I am mainly referring to specific countries like, no offense, but Denmark, Slovenia, Finland, etc.

My regional had 8 rounds of swiss because we had so many people.

When some of our states Battle Roads have more players than some nationals in this world (I've heard of 15-16-17 masters in some?) then there is an issue with that. I respect Yacine and Sami, but you must consider when comparing the player base of the US to that of the UK or any other country (Except of course Japan), the numbers are immense. 700+ players in our masters division in Nationals compared to the easy mode of 30 or 40? Some people do just have it easy, and I can understand where Ryan is coming from to try to increase the number of american's allowed in. (a percentage to even the numbers out a little bit.)

Now, I'm not complaining about this personally, I love the game, I love the difficulty of trying to move up, but at the same time I can also respect those people who play this game for fun, and thats where the issue of money could come in. 5 dollars doesn't seem like much at first, but when you're a family of 5 on a tight budget (wife, husband, 3 kids plus hotel and food), I can see where the money can be kind of annoying. Granted, its no Origins. But I can see there would be complaining from someone. The freebie retrospect appeals to a lot of people, and I think it is what keeps bringing people to our excellent game as opposed to the extremely expensive Yugioh or the overly competitive Magic scene.

Those of you saying Pokemon should be hardcore competitive, shut up and go play Magic so you can see just how arduous the scene truly is. You have it easy, so shut up and stop whining. People enjoy this game because most players have fun with it while remaining competitive at the same time (Not to brag, but I've seen some of the best spirit of the game in my state, and I'm sure Florida/Illinois/California can attest to that as well) and stating that players should just "quit" the game if they're not going to take it seriously is a punch to many respectable players faces. I know 3 pokemom's in this state that are very respectable, love the game, and are quite skilled. (All of which have cutted in States or higher. 2 of which have been in the World's main event, the remaining of which has only played for 2 years and has seen Regionals cuts and really good nationals placement) so trust me. There are players enjoying this game for fun AND are good. Cutting the ones having fun just means you'll see an eyeballing match similar to that of the Pro Poker Tour. Do the players truly want that?

Mike, think before you speak. Please. You haven't seen the Magic scene quite like I have, so you probably don't understand what your wishing would entail. As many songs/famous people have quoted: "Be careful what you wish for."

This year I have top 8ed a regional and top 64ed nationals. That's a pretty decent showing, not the best, but much better than most, considering the vast amount of players that attend these events. For both of the previous placings I went home with absolutely nothing. Pokemon issues no reward what-so-ever for good tournament placings. If this were to be compared with other card games, the difference is huge. tournaments with only 50 players give away decent prizes for their top 8. That's about 16% of the players that receive prize support. Pokemon, however, only rewards the top four for regionals, with well over 100 players. That is at most 4% of the players receiving prizes, while the tournament itself is twice as difficult to place in. It's not me, it's every high placing player that deserves a pat on the back.

How is it whining when all we ask for is what we deserve?

Regionals offered prizes for Top 16, so if you walked away with nothing, you forgot your prize support and as for placing in the top 64 of Nationals, do you REALLY expect some type of prize support for that?

SOME European Nats. The UK, Italy, and a number of countries have very quality players and a large player base. I am mainly referring to specific countries like, no offense, but Denmark, Slovenia, Finland, etc.

I think what you may really mean is that the US should have more invites along with those given to the rest of the World.

It would be a little unfair to have a 'World' Championship without inviting the rest of the world huh :wink:

Any of the countries you mention like Denmark or Slovenia could produce the next Pokémon World Champion!

I actually think that Algeria will win this year and it has a player base of ummmmmmm 3

I am busting your butt a bit but you know what I mean :thumb:

I got prizes for T16. Granted it was only 8 packs, but it was still something. He might be stating that the prize support was less than exemplary prize support, though.

We don't need more prizes. That'd cost TPCi more.

As for US invites, I think it is quite fitting that we have the largest player base and thus it is the hardest country to make worlds in. You don't really expect ANYONE to make it remotely fair for us when Denmark has like 50 players, do you guys? We can't have 7-8% of our masters getting worlds invites!

Talking quaility > Size

Sorry to ruin your fun, but most of our players are just as good or better than yours. Just because many of your player have been to worlds (yet another example of how easy it is for you) doesn't really mean anything considering the small size of the player population.

Steve, I play the game for fun too. :p I hate having to be so cut throat. I would LOVE it if we could have it like Europe does in respect to difficulty of getting an invite.

I think what you may really mean is that the US should have more invites along with those given to the rest of the World.

It would be a little unfair to have a 'World' Championship without inviting the rest of the world huh :wink:

Any of the countries you mention like Denmark or Slovenia could produce the next Pokémon World Champion!

I actually think that Algeria will win this year and it has a player base of ummmmmmm 3

I am busting your butt a bit but you know what I mean :thumb:
Somalia 2010!

But yes, to everyone who thinks people asking for trips is whining- the whole reason I WANT to go to Worlds is to meet with my International friends and play with International players. Otherwise it's just Nationals. However, right now, living in the US means you basically have a disgustingly low chance of actually GETTING to play in Worlds- based on the tournament structure and the invite structure, etc. Of course I want to the rest of the world to have invites, get more, and prosper- but what good does that do if .3% of my player base is represented via rankings, and 1% of our Nationals participants walk away with an invite.

Look, I know it is unfortunate for the European players to get trips and pay for their own trips. I am not stupid. I can read. I know how much 3k is. You guys should be fighting to get more trips, or ways to earn trip money. I am fighting for what MY country needs- and it isn't trips, it's just more numbers, some more statistical representation for our huge player base.

Is it really WHINING that I am trying to get more invites for my country? Trying to change people's minds and show a positive light on an ongoing argument- that the US is warranted more invites, and ought to receive them to better legitimize worlds and better represent the US.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Sorry to ruin your fun, but most of our players are just as good or better than yours. Just because many of your player have been to worlds (yet another example of how easy it is for you) doesn't really mean anything considering the small size of the player population.

Steve, I play the game for fun too. :p I hate having to be so cut throat. I would LOVE it if we could have it like Europe does in respect to difficulty of getting an invite.

Stop alienating some of our only supporters, please. If you've been reading, it's consistently the international players empathizing with our plight, because they experience their own struggles, it's just a different problem. We do not know each individual player's skills. We cannot measure that, so don't make blanket statements like US players are better or at worst equal. We can say that it is statistically dramatically easy to earn invites in other areas, and that we wish to improve the invite distribution for our own country so that we are represented better in context with these other countries.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

We don't need more prizes. That'd cost TPCi more.

As for US invites, I think it is quite fitting that we have the largest player base and thus it is the hardest country to make worlds in. You don't really expect ANYONE to make it remotely fair for us when Denmark has like 50 players, do you guys? We can't have 7-8% of our masters getting worlds invites!

Wait, why not? When they first took over, they were giving like 50-60 PAID invites out in the US. Now we have, what we have, despite doubling in numbers lol. We can't have even CLOSE to what we used to have, despite growing SO much? It's gotten 4x more difficult to get an invite in just 4-5 years in the US. This is silly. The player base has doubled, and the invites have at least been halved.

Even if we added 13 invites to the US, it would STILL BE THE HARDEST to earn an invite at. STILL. We could add 20 invites and it would STILL be harder than any other country under POP.

Last edited:
Again, it's just so ridiculous when we have the most invites to want more! I know we get an extremely unfair statistical representation, but if it were statistically accurate, we'd outnumber foreigners 3 to 1! It's OKAY if an American has 1% of the chance a Dane does!

No offense, but whining is proof of an American.

Somalia 2010!

But yes, to everyone who thinks people asking for trips is whining- the whole reason I WANT to go to Worlds is to meet with my International friends and play with International players. Otherwise it's just Nationals. However, right now, living in the US means you basically have a disgustingly low chance of actually GETTING to play in Worlds- based on the tournament structure and the invite structure, etc. Of course I want to the rest of the world to have invites, get more, and prosper- but what good does that do if .3% of my player base is represented via rankings, and 1% of our Nationals participants walk away with an invite.

That's exactly right. Most people wouldn't mind if the US got some more invites as long as they are not taken away from other countries.

It's when people come in with the attitude that 'I am better than you/work harder than you/deserve it more than you' that is annoying. It makes it sound as if those people don't REALLY care about the US players at all, all they care about is that THEY don't get what they want.

And I think it should be Slovenia 2010 :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back