Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

This game needs better player appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be surprised if US players could beat European players even 50% of the time considering how matchup and luck based this game is becoming.

I would be surprised if US players could beat European players even 50% of the time considering how matchup and luck based this game is becoming.

That doesn't make much sense... shouldn't we also be surprised if European players could beat US players even 50% of the time considering the format?

Unlike Many other TCG pokemon's prices are lower.
Can you say Black Lotus?
I agree with this. It's just some people like to complain.
There are always going to be "throw away rares" in ever card game.

That doesn't make much sense... shouldn't we also be surprised if European players could beat US players even 50% of the time considering the format?

Neither makes any sense.

Where your from has no bearing on how well you play.

Given ANY geographical location:
1. They'll be top tier players.
2. They'll be bad players.
3. They'll be fair-to-middlin' players

It's a game. This means everyone from everywhere has an equal opportunity to develop skills.

lol

Neither makes any sense.

Where your from has no bearing on how well you play.

Given ANY geographical location:
1. They'll be top tier players.
2. They'll be bad players.
3. They'll be fair-to-middlin' players

It's a game. This means everyone from everywhere has an equal opportunity to develop skills.

lol

Yeah, if it's logical that we should barely beat them 50%, they should also barely beat us 50% of the time. It was a weird statement.

This topic is full of funny remarks. It's funny how the player advocating the most for MORE invites for the US is one whom has never qualified for Worlds.

Another thing, Denmark and Finland not having quality players, when a World Champion resides in Finland and 2nd place that year resides in Denmark. The US being better, when at Worlds the Top 4 is clearly comprised of a mix of countries every single year in all age groups. The US already gets more invites than any other country. POP doesn't want a 600 player World Championships, a TRUE World Championship would only have 1 National Champion from each country battling it out.

I would say 'quit the complaining' but that just isn't going to happen, but wanting more US representation at Worlds doesn't make sense. Who are the people that want MORE invites? The ones who consistently DO NOT qualify every year. The ones who have what it takes (skill + luck + deckbuilding) do qualify on a consistent basis, and you don't want random player x in a World Championship do you?

Just some food for thought, maybe not every US player is a Worlds caliber player? Of course since they only read about their tournaments and do not hear constantly about other good international players, they 'assume' they have the best ones.

Of course there are differences in average player skill along the countries. And the prizes really don't reflect the difficulty of the game. A Machamp deck without the Lv.X and without Uxie or UnownG, but with 2-2 Drifblim and 12 fighting energy (2nd place Masters in Austria) gets a paid Worlds trip, but the second places in Netherlands or Denmark don't. This isn't fair, but it's not globally organized where the good players are and which countries get how many trips so you can't change it. You can't blame PUI, you can't blame the LDs because they just try to do the best for their own countries and some are better than others, and you can't blame players for being skilled or not.

US Nationals is the most difficult Nationals, but it doesn't mean it's easy to go to Worlds in Europe. An invite is no problem if you play decent all over the season, since many players here can't go to Worlds and opt out so that it goes down to about rank 50. The problem is how to get there. It's at least about $ 1000 for the plane trip alone, so if you don't win the travel expense, you have to pay a lot of money by yourself. In all countries but Germany and Austria (Amigo ftw) only the National Champions get the trip. US players have almost no problem to get to Worlds as long as they get their invite. For them it's a matter of skill and not a matter of money to get to Worlds, I'd really prefer that. In other Worlds, in the US Nationals 8 out of 600 get to Worlds for sure, in European Nationals 1 out of 100 gets to Worlds for sure, and 1-3 others if they can effort the trip.

European players are as skilled as US players are. In 2007 there weren't 40+% Americans at Worlds, and as a direct result, the finalists were both from Europe.

The top tennis player in the world is from some small Euro country called Switzerland. He beat the top US player. Go figure.

Point is - like Rogue Archtype said - geography matters nothing.

First of all the best Machamp decks don't run the LV.X. Just had to say that.

Anyway, geography matters A LOT. Geography determines who you get to play, how many events you go to, what's big in the events you go to.

Humans aren't 'born' with innate skill that's even among people from different countries. The fact is, where you live has a huge impact on your skill, what you can play without getting squished, and how easy cards are to get, even.

BTW, tennis is different. Federer plays everywhere, not just Switzerland, which is why his skill isn't determined by where he lives. You don't travel around the world every month to play Pokemon.

Anyway, geography matters A LOT. Geography determines who you get to play, how many events you go to, what's big in the events you go to....

BTW, tennis is different. Federer plays everywhere, not just Switzerland, which is why his skill isn't determined by where he lives. You don't travel around the world every month to play Pokemon.
Umm, I find that the best Pokemon players usually DO travel quite a bit more than others. So, perhaps it's MONEY (or the ability to travel) that makes certain players better, NOT always where they live.

I concede that geography CAN influence skill, but many other factors are very important too. For example, our Colorado players got together at NATs and built a "winning" deck that most of them played (Palkia/Mesprit/Honchkrow/Raichu). The top 2 undefeated players in Masters were from CO using the deck, and all except one player (out of about 10) made the top cut. In that situation, it was TEAMWORK that was most important for their broad success. One of the players they recruited to use their deck (Jason - who made top 8) wasn't even from Colorado.

So, add geography to the mix, but don't give it too much credit.

Umm, I find that the best Pokemon players usually DO travel quite a bit more than others. So, perhaps it's MONEY (or the ability to travel) that makes certain players better, NOT always where they live.

I concede that geography CAN influence skill, but many other factors are very important too. For example, our Colorado players got together at NATs and built a "winning" deck that most of them played (Palkia/Mesprit/Honchkrow/Raichu). The top 2 undefeated players in Masters were from CO using the deck, and all except one player (out of about 10) made the top cut. In that situation, it was TEAMWORK that was most important for their broad success. One of the players they recruited to use their deck (Jason - who made top 8) wasn't even from Colorado.

So, add geography to the mix, but don't give it too much credit.

I would like to point out that while geography may not matter much with player skill (even more so between the US states), it's influence on ratings is HUGE.

Money is a big, big part. So is the extra free time you gain by not having to work every waking second to pay bills. All the great players I know playtest like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back