Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Colored Borders

If sleeves from general play use could be considered marked after 4-5 rounds, should I resleeve on my own after round 4 at worlds?

Sounds pretty extreme.

Although it may sound extreme, this is a better safe than to be sorry situation.

Players are responsible for the deck at all times - even after deck/sleeve checks. If you get random deck check and you have your one Uxie X marked pecularly by some random act from the previous rounds, it is still a uniquely marked card. Penatlies will follow.

Why take the chance?

In a tournament, just never use cards that have been altered in any way. Its that simple. In an unofficial game among friends do whatever you want.

Although it may sound extreme, this is a better safe than to be sorry situation.

Players are responsible for the deck at all times - even after deck/sleeve checks. If you get random deck check and you have your one Uxie X marked pecularly by some random act from the previous rounds, it is still a uniquely marked card. Penatlies will follow.

Why take the chance?

Do the floor rules state that the knowledge of the card that appears "marked" bear on the ruling of penalties? I feel thats like knowing who is winning before making a ruling over an improper play. That given card (one of, or four of) being played ASAP every game or perfectly timed, early, every game should be taken into consideration however.

If sleeves from general play use could be considered marked after 4-5 rounds, should I resleeve on my own after round 4 at worlds?

Sounds pretty extreme.

It would be a good idea.
I've seen many decks that were "marked" after 6 or 7 rounds of play because of a damaged/bent card.
When the sleeves were new, it was not visible. But after the wear of play, there is an irregularity to the wear caused where the card is bent.
In past large events, I've seen penalties issues for this. Given the penalties given out at Nats, I'd be careful about it.

Do the floor rules state that the knowledge of the card that appears "marked" bear on the ruling of penalties? I feel thats like knowing who is winning before making a ruling over an improper play. That given card (one of, or four of) being played ASAP every game or perfectly timed, early, every game should be taken into consideration however.

Last yr at Worlds, a DQ that came out of top cut deck checks involved a deck w/ a creased corner on 4 cards only...the creases were on the 4 RCs. You figure it out (on stage 2 deck).

Keith

I don't understand what you are saying here Jim.
If a card is a key set up card, that certainly can be taken into account for the significance of the marking.
The floor rules don't state anything about the player knowing about the marking.
If the judge is able to determine knowledge of the marking, then we're taking banning from OP, not just DQ.

Last yr at Worlds, a DQ that came out of top cut deck checks involved a deck w/ a creased corner on 4 cards only...the creases were on the 4 RCs. You figure it out (on stage 2 deck).

Keith

With no Stage 1's in the deck.

Was just going back to edit that 'Pop when you caught it. No stage 1s.....yup, easy call on that one.

Keith

i would just like to see a ruling that says cards modified from how they were when pulled from the pack aren't legal for tournament play. even if a card is just drawn on in the art of the card, it is a distraction and a form of gamesmanship any way you look at it.

How much did he color on the card's picture?
I draw afros, smileys, and such on my Baltoys (and the moon in the Baltoy picture), but other than that most coloring should be fine.

i know who u are! :biggrin: i played against you in states at TJ's i remember the moon smile face

I haven't seen anyone give a reason why drawing (like autographing) within the picture is bad in any way.

And if people start getting penalties because they've been shuffling their deck all day, there is seriously a problem with the game. Obviously 4 creases on 4 Rare Candy is a different situation but if judges are going to give out dqs or even prize penalties (which could be eliminations too) for RANDOM UNCONTROLLABLE WEARING because players are guilty of shuffling, then there's a serious problem here. I don't think this really happened hearing the anecdotes of nationals, but some of these overcautious message on this thread are scary. Players shouldn't have to worry about this. I don't want to change sleeves after 4 rounds, I think it's more likely I'd do that and my new slippery sleeves fall over during the game and get me a game loss. This is a legitimate concern with new sleeves. I'll have new sleeves before a worlds or a nationals but even I shuffle intensely for that long waiting time to get rid of this problem, something you couldn't do between rounds.

I haven't seen anyone give a reason why drawing (like autographing) within the picture is bad in any way.

And if people start getting penalties because they've been shuffling their deck all day, there is seriously a problem with the game. Obviously 4 creases on 4 Rare Candy is a different situation but if judges are going to give out dqs or even prize penalties (which could be eliminations too) for RANDOM UNCONTROLLABLE WEARING because players are guilty of shuffling, then there's a serious problem here. I don't think this really happened hearing the anecdotes of nationals, but some of these overcautious message on this thread are scary. Players shouldn't have to worry about this. I don't want to change sleeves after 4 rounds, I think it's more likely I'd do that and my new slippery sleeves fall over during the game and get me a game loss. This is a legitimate concern with new sleeves. I'll have new sleeves before a worlds or a nationals but even I shuffle intensely for that long waiting time to get rid of this problem, something you couldn't do between rounds.

I actually got a game loss because when I was shuffling in the last round of a nationals, my slippery sleeves slipped out of my hand onto by hand... The besd thing, I was getting a Solid Rage out of my deck with Smooth Over to Swing Dance and attach to a Ludicolo that was 20 away from getting my last 2 prizes to get me into the top cut. I missed on Resistance.

I witnessed a game-loss in a Regionals playoff due to curved foil cards.

If your foils are curved, you need to work at un-curving them.

Also, if your sleeves and cards suffer ware-n-tare, making some cards stand out, it's time to replace them rather than rely on the mercy of the judge to allow proxies. Most judges I know hate using proxies, and at most big tournaments, I'd expect proxy-use probably would never happen.

IAnd if people start getting penalties because they've been shuffling their deck all day, there is seriously a problem with the game. Obviously 4 creases on 4 Rare Candy is a different situation but if judges are going to give out dqs or even prize penalties (which could be eliminations too) for RANDOM UNCONTROLLABLE WEARING because players are guilty of shuffling, then there's a serious problem here. I don't think this really happened hearing the anecdotes of nationals, but some of these overcautious message on this thread are scary. Players shouldn't have to worry about this. I don't want to change sleeves after 4 rounds, I think it's more likely I'd do that and my new slippery sleeves fall over during the game and get me a game loss.
On page 2, PokePop said that a third to a half of the senior division at Nats this year were told to resleeve cards. Does that sound excessive?

On page 2, PokePop said that a third to a half of the senior division at Nats this year were told to resleeve cards. Does that sound excessive?
Personally, I think it should be required to start a premier tournament with new sleeves. In many sports, you have your practice balls, and you have your game balls. For me, that applies to Pokemon. I always re-sleeve the night/morning before registration.

So you're saying I should have issued game losses and DQ's instead?
This was the choice.

[Gozer]Choose![/Gozer]

No, but being in the position to even make that choice seems incomprehensible.

I'm not attacking your decision, I'm attacking the fact that the decision even existed.

Personally, I think it should be required to start a premier tournament with new sleeves. In many sports, you have your practice balls, and you have your game balls. For me, that applies to Pokemon. I always re-sleeve the night/morning before registration.

hmmm i would actutally agree with this! since in like league when u play with sleeves they usually are getting dirty and rips,scratches,etc. and since most of the "pokemon" themed sleeves usually rip and tear after one tournament use.

Back on topic:

last year at nats i played a kid who had red sharpie ont he edge of his cards. it was quite nice, i liked it. his deck was sleeved with black so i didnt have a problem with the cards at all.

Back