Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

UK OP Change - Updated 23rd July

venomex

Hi Folks,

Just a quick note:

As of the end of July, D & A Games will no longer be involved in Organized Play with the Pokemon TCG within the UK.

TPCI will be making an announcement shortly in regards to the future of OP in the UK (There should not be, however, a large gap like last time), however please be assured that business should be treated as usual during this time. Pre Releases should happen as planned and all information in regards to this has been passed on to TPCI.

Finally....

As this is probably our last post - can I say a big thank you to everyone in the Pokemon Community - you are the most dedicated players I have met within this industry and it has been a pleasure to work with you.

Thanks

Chris Sparks

Last edited:
It is hard to understand why this was felt necessary? Perhaps it is a change of focus by TPCI or even a Credit Crunch fix by the Distributor?

Whatever the reason for the change we will miss your passion and dedication to UK OP, here's hoping that whoever or whatever takes over will bring as much commitment to the game as D&A Games have.

Thanks for two good seasons and a resurgence in Leagues and Tournaments in the UK.

This has been such a smoothly run year of OP!

Thanks for a great year Chris, hope to see you around brother. :)

Sami

Does anyone know the reason why leaving? Just curious, but doesnt have to be answered...

I am definatly going to miss the fantastic organisation of events and Judges/Staff at events, it has been a great 2 seasons of the Pokemon TCG and i really hope that there are more to come! I am going to miss you Chris :(

Donezator

Could this possibly mean that PCI is going away from the International LD system of organizing tournaments? I'm certain that most of Europe would applaud such a decision. Not bashing you, Chris, or D&A, as you guys have done some pretty cool things in England. I just know that many of our European brothers and sisters have had issues with the system in place over there.

Could this possibly mean that PCI is going away from the International LD system of organizing tournaments? I'm certain that most of Europe would applaud such a decision. Not bashing you, Chris, or D&A, as you guys have done some pretty cool things in England. I just know that many of our European brothers and sisters have had issues with the system in place over there.

No offence taken - however just a point we were never the LD in the UK(And as I am aware the LD is still the same here) - Our role was the arrange and maintain OP in conjuction with the LD whoever that was/is.

Taken from email received from TPCI Email.

Dear Organizer/League Leader.

As many of you will already be aware, from the 1st August UK OP is going to change. The change will mean that the UK will adopt the approach that has been successfully used for the delivery of Pokémon Organized Play on the European mainland. As before, Esdevium will continue to handle the dispatch of all materials associated with the running of Pokémon Organized Play. From August 1st Ian Fotheringham will be acting as coordinator and support for OP within the UK.

We already have received information regarding the upcoming prereleases from Mr. Sparks at DNA, and we hope to be able to move forward from here without a hitch. We would ask that you be patient as Ian gets up to speed, but I suspect this transition should be relatively smooth. If you have any questions regarding upcoming events, or issues with sanctioning, please contact Ian at the address he provides after his greeting below.

Thank you,
Dave Schwimmer

The Pokémon Company International

Organized Play Manager

I left the greeting off as I am sure Ian would like to say a few words on the who what and when.

Anyway - leaving the OP in good hands - Good luck to all concerned!!! :)

Chris,

Good luck in the future, I had suspected this coming after Ian was sat on the sidelines at Nats rather than judging.....crazy idea as the what the guy doesn't know about rules is not worth knowing but hey ho.

Ian,

Congrats on taking on a huge task, I hope all of the UK player / parent / judge / PTO/ TO welcome you on board, I am more than happy to help out where I can.

Mozz
:)

Chris,

Good luck in the future, I had suspected this coming after Ian was sat on the sidelines at Nats rather than judging.....crazy idea as the what the guy doesn't know about rules is not worth knowing but hey ho.

In fairness and with respect.......

When planning events such as Nationals, sometimes you have to look beyond who knows what about rulings. I know of people from other TCG's who are absolutely fantastic on rules and the in's and outs of a game system however I would never use them to staff a major national event due to other reasons which may go beyond the TCG (For example if they did not have "people skills", did not respect the current direction of Organized Play or were negative towards it, etc).

However - the reasons for Ian not judging was none of the above - I had a team from 2008 and I wanted to use them again within changing too much. Simple as that.

Anyway again good luck again to Ian and we ALL look forward to the direction you will take OP in the UK in the future.

If keeping up with Tom (Ape 101) is part of your duties, then you have your hands full!

Always available if you would need help, welcome to the dark side.

Congratulations!

Vince

Congrats Ian! You will do a great job for the UK.

On a side note, if POP top brass think enough to fly Ian overseas to be on Worlds Staff multiple times, including this year, I wonder why anyone in the UK would think to sit him on the sidelines? Hmmmm.

Keith

Back