Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Power Flygon - The Dark Dragon - DP-On

Status
Not open for further replies.

payney

Hi.
I have been playing around with Flygon for around 2 weeks now and after testing at Hobby League last week I have figured out it is a major contender in the current format (Won 7 Lost 2). The list I am uploading is slighlty changed from the one I ran on Saturday but it is not all that different, just a little faster and more consistent. It is in the Deck Garage as I would like to hear your views on the deck and suggest any improvements (If Any :p). Onto the list:

Pokemon: 20

1 Flygon Lv.X RR
3 Flygon RR
2 Vibrava RR
3 Trapinch SW
2 Weavile SW
2 Sneasel LA
2 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
2 Unown G GE
1 Uxie LA

Trainers: 31

4 Rosanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
2 Night Maintenance
4 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
3 Super Scoop Up
4 Poke Healer
1 Premier Ball
1 Luxury Ball
3 Broken Time Space
3 Lucians' Assignment

Energy: 9

4 Special Darkness
2 Fighting
2 Call
1 Upper

Strategy

Try and get Weavile active as early as possible to charge up the swarm of Flygon on the bench for the T2 beatdown, It is possible happens 8/10 games with the couple of bad starts. If Claydol isn't out T1 try and and it out as soon as possible, as this will ultimatly increase your chances of winning dramatically as the deck revolves around speed and Flygon's second attack. With a fully charged Flygon you should be hitting for around 100-130 damage depending what is benched, which in the current format is almost a OHKO on anything. I am only using 1 Uxie as I don't want to overload my bench with Basic Pokemon, hence the Super Scoop Ups, so I can save my dying Flygon or lift up Uxie for the Set-Up or to evolve another Pokemon. I am also using an array of Trainers which are really consistent for how I like to play, I have my Search, Speed, Switch and Recovery cards. I have also included Lucians Assignement as this is one of the greatest Supporter cards in the game, it can literally win games by moving Energy from a dying Flygon to either a benched Flygon or Weavile, which also turns out to be a great attacker. I have failed to mention Flygon Lv.X untill now, this card is mainly the tech of the deck, which should be used everygame, whether your opponent is using Level X's or not as it isn't used for its attack alot of the time. It is used for its Poke Body which in most cases also can win games. The reason for this is that every deck runs 2 Claydol and some draw cards, meaning that with Flygon Lv.X active my opponent has more of a chance to mill through their deck. It is also useful to OHKO benched Uxie Lv.X's and oer Lv.X's my opponent has in play.

Closing Notes

I am actually beginning to prefer this over Kingdra, which I had previously won 23 and lost 1 with, I have had bad luck since I stopped using that so I am very comfortable with this deck and after winning 7 and losing 2 at Hobby League I do feel it has a lot of potential

As I have previously mentioned any advice and improvements will be welcomed although I am mainly after your thoughts on the deck.

Thanks,

Payney.

You NEED an Azelf in there in case the LV X is prized

4 Poke Healer and 3 SSU seems a bit much. You could try running 4 Sneasel as that makes the T2 Weavile (your best start) more likely.

Energy count seems low-ish to me, I would run:

4 Call
4 Dark
4 Special Dark
1 Upper

You don't need Fighting. Dark Engage + Rainbow Float will give Claydol Free Retreat. Call may be the best card in the format.

3 Lucian's is overkill. Take a couple out for 2 Volkners cos they give you nice draw if you are Power locked.

I don't need Azelf as the deck doesn't revolve around the Lv.X, it is just nice to have. 4 Poke Healer and 3 SSU are definatly needed as I need to heal my Flygon, which I have had to do previously and it has won me the game, as the SSU's are used for Uxie and a Flygon if it is damaged and I have already used my Poke Healer. The Energy count is fine, I don't have any trouble here at all as I am running 3 Lucian's, meaning I can move as many energy from one Pokemon to another and Fighting is needed, what if I get my Weaivle knocked out after I have had Restructure used by my opponent's Palkia Lv.X. 4 Sneasel is overkill and quite frankly not neccessary, I 9/10 manage to start with Trapinch or Sneasel which are the best starts that I could wish for. I personally don't like Volkner's as I do not need to discard and I have all the draw power needed.

Thanks for your thoughts however Baby Mario, much appreciated.

Um...call me crazy, but doesn't that list look like the Front Page version? And yea man, you gotta have Azelf.
Volkners is a good card to test with...meaning that it may or may not save you. But (just making sure) you are aware that you DON'T have to discard, right?

4 Sneasel is overkill and quite frankly not neccessary, I 9/10 manage to start with Trapinch or Sneasel which are the best starts that I could wish for.

5 of your Basics are Trapinch/Sneasel

5 of your Basics are Baltoy/Unown G/Uxie

How do you start with Trapinch/Sneasel 90% of the time? You have the same chance of an Unown G start as you do a Sneasel start. The maths doesn't add up.

Yes I know that you don't have to discard but I just don't like it, that is just my opinion, I don't need Azelf as I will know what is missing from my deck when I use my first Rosanne's or Bebe's so I can change my strategy to work with what I have got. I swear this isn't a changed version from the front page, I didn't even notice that until around 15 minutes ago lol.

You can see the changed original version that I used here Here. Further down the screen there you will see the cards that were in the original.

I run something very simular and NOOOOO he does not need azelf.... I've never found it particularly useful in my opinion, all it does is take up an evolved pokemon's bench space needed for flygon's power swing attack.... even if the Lv.X is prized, it's just like he said, a nice thing to have....

however I don't agree with the energy amount at all, not sure what to take out, but you should have 14-16 energy minimum, in most flygon decks....

@ManaphyTrainer The reason I can get away with a low energy amount is due to Lucians Assignment, in most of my games I use them before I attemp a SSU, meaning if I get it, great I can have another Flygon on the bench, if I don't then I just retreat and wait for Poke Healer or the snipe to KO it. If I put my Energy line to 14-16 I will potentially lose 5-7 essential Pokemon or Trainers, which I can't afford. Also don't forget that my meta may be different to yours.

@Baby Mario It hasn't got anything to do with maths, maybe I am just lucky, maybe it will start to go wrong, who knows? The main thing is that it works at the minute and I personally can't see that changing anytime soon (I hope :p).

You NEED an Azelf in there in case the LV X is prized

4 Poke Healer and 3 SSU seems a bit much. You could try running 4 Sneasel as that makes the T2 Weavile (your best start) more likely.

Energy count seems low-ish to me, I would run:

4 Call
4 Dark
4 Special Dark
1 Upper

You don't need Fighting. Dark Engage + Rainbow Float will give Claydol Free Retreat. Call may be the best card in the format.

3 Lucian's is overkill. Take a couple out for 2 Volkners cos they give you nice draw if you are Power locked.

This guy knows what he is talking about. I run a 4-3 weavile (yes, 4 sneasel, 3 weavile) with 3 BTS and it runs beautiful. 80-90% of the time i get a fully powered T2 flygon. 4 call/3 sp.dark/6 regular dark is what i run, and i havent lost a game yet. gotta say i agree with mario 100%.

Can you please not post your deck in my thread (sorry if I mini-modded), this is for people to give advice on my deck. Sorry if I seemed a little rude.

I have been wanting to try Flygon with

1-1 Nidoqueen (or 2-1-2 if you can find the space)

I think this option is better then 4 poke healer for the following reasons

1) over the course of the game you will heal more with a nidoqueen out then poke'healer

2) Flygon has free retreat, so you attack, heal, switch for another 'gon attack heal, etc

3) Nidoqueen is also resistant to :lightning and is :psychic: type
a. good against manetric/Lux
b. great against Gallade.

4) Nidoqueen's second attack is BOSS with Upper NRG!

5) throw a :psychic: on Flygon, queeny has free retreat too!:lol:

something like this maybe

Pokemon: 23

1 Flygon Lv.X RR
3 Flygon RR
2 Vibrava RR
3 Trapinch SW
2 Nidoran
1 Nidoraina
2 Nidoqueen
2 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
2 Unown G GE
1 Uxie LA
1 Azelf
1 Chattot

Trainers: 22

4 Rosanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
2 Night Maintenance
4 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
1 Premier Ball
1 Luxury Ball
3 Broken Time Space
1 Lucians' Assignment

Energy: 15

7 :psychic:
4 Call
2 :fighting:
2 Upper

Last edited:
nidoqueen can already have free retreat because of weavile's pokepower making it dark if he uses it here.

but i was thinking similiar lines with nidoqueen , it could have huge potential in this deck especially since opponent wouldnt wanna play dialga g lv x whilst flygon lv x is about.
plus i find it a better idea then poke'healer + since its continuous.

also for future ideas , manectric in flygon could become a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back