Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Main Character of FFXII

Kabigon_Jr

Who would you say is the main character of the game given the circumstance of the actual game (i.e. story line and game mechanics)? Explain your reason.

Last edited:
Considering that he's the absolute main character in the spinoff, I'd say Vaan.

I was having a debate with my buddy, and he felt the same as you. but i disagreed because it seems that the whole plot of the game was more about ashe than vaan

dunno, didn't play the PS version. Just Rev Wings. Vaan was the absolute star of that game.

The story of XII starts and ends with Vaan, but I don't think there was any charachter who had more role than others. Ashe is the one who gets the devces to change the world. Bash explains alot of the backstory as he used to be a royal knight. Panelo is around for the whole game but doesn't do much. Fran and Bathier's love story has a good amount of screen time too. One of the great parts of the story is that everybody plays a role.

Didn't really like FF12 story, but i'd say Vaan is the main character since you are viewing things from mostly his view.

Square says it is Vaan, since they are using the female protaganist of FF13 to promote it as "the first FF game with a female protagonist"

Square says it is Vaan, since they are using the female protaganist of FF13 to promote it as "the first FF game with a female protagonist"

I'm assuming they mean "main, numbered game" there. How quickly they forget about FFX-2. Heck, how quickly they forget about FF6, where Terra was the nominal star (arguable: Locke) in a cast of dozens.

I'm assuming they mean "main, numbered game" there. How quickly they forget about FFX-2. Heck, how quickly they forget about FF6, where Terra was the nominal star (arguable: Locke) in a cast of dozens.

FF X-2 was more of a spinoff than a main game.
But FF6 had terra as main char. so don't know why they calling it first female protagonist. Maybe Square-Enix forgot what Square did :eek::eek:

Maybe they consider FF6 to be a true ensemble cast, rather than a star-and-subordinate cast like most other games in the series? I mean, you can quite easily put in claims that Locke, Celes, Edgar, and possibly Cyan were all the nominal stars of that game (I never really used anybody else, though Shadow was particularly intriguiging). Still, it might be that 13 has a true leading lady with the men all playing backup roles, rather than the more equal standing in 6.

Maybe they consider FF6 to be a true ensemble cast, rather than a star-and-subordinate cast like most other games in the series? I mean, you can quite easily put in claims that Locke, Celes, Edgar, and possibly Cyan were all the nominal stars of that game (I never really used anybody else, though Shadow was particularly intriguiging). Still, it might be that 13 has a true leading lady with the men all playing backup roles, rather than the more equal standing in 6.

The story in FF6 still resolves around Terra so you might as well say she is the main character. Usually in movies/books/games there is never 1 main character but you view things from one person's view, so that makes him the star. And FF6 is a lot like that, since you have an enormous cast of playable characters(round 13 if i'm not mistaken). In Other FFs some characters didn't have anything to do with the story. There were there for nothing, like Zell FF8. He never did much to te story. FF6 does things right in having all characters contribute something

@GregWebster I looked up and Square Enix never said that FF 13 will be the first FF with a female protagonist.

But in FF6, Terra spends more time away from the main group (i.e. unusable) than Cyan and Celes combined. Which is why the argument can be made between about half a dozen characters in that VG as the main characters. Terra and Locke are probably the two that come to mind first, though (outside of that stupid clown Kefka).

It is commonly argued that in 6, there was no primary hero. Terra may have been the focus of the World of Balance (Trying to understand who she was and why she had such power), and Celes was more the focus of the world of ruin (Getting over her cold attitude by living with her "grandfather" and trying to re-establish the group together for one last rally versus Kefka)

There really was no main character in 6 as there was a primary story to everyone. Whether its Cyan avenging his family by killing Kefka, or Terra trying to learn about herself and control her powers, everyone had a point. Yes, even Umaro and Gogo.

The same can be said for 12. In the main game (I don't ever count spinoffs, unless its name is Final Fantasy Tactics.), the primary focus was centered around Vaan, and he may have made an impact numerous times, but how often did you see Ashe's reasons for fighting? Basch's? Balthier? Fran? Even the guest characters often had a very good point to traveling with the motley crue. Yes, it is true that Vaan is probably the main character in Revenant Wings, but that game was a side story, not the primary focus.

It is apparent pretty much every other game does have a protagonist, however said protagonists also typically have a love interest to go with them. Dissidia may argue that Terra is the main character of 6, which has merit, but I wouldn't say she is uno supremo.

As for Locke, as awesome as a character as he was, there's no way he was the primary character. While he certainly strengthened Terra's resolve and had an obvious love interest with Celes, he was still merely a treasure hunter searching for Phoenix to resurrect his lost love.

The case for Locke being the "primary character" is in his relationships with all of the other characters. He's the impetus for Terra searching out her past. For Celes betraying the Empire. He's the toughest character to obtain in the Ruin world, the one that the rest of the characters talk about the most, and his strength and balance throughout the game is virtually unmatched. He's the character in FF6 that you remember the most for a similar reason that Kain is the most remembered character in FF4.

I could also argue that Kefka is the main character in FF6, and that everybody else is simply reacting to his insanity. But that's another argument for another time.

I could also argue that Kefka is the main character in FF6, and that everybody else is simply reacting to his insanity. But that's another argument for another time.

Kefka played an immense role in the game, but he definitley can't be called main character, cause he's actually the main atagonist of the game.
Actually the atagonists in all FF play a big role in the game.

Kefka was the first main villain to have such an immense affect on everything from the beginning of the game until the end. FF1 you didn't know the main villain until the end. FF2 you never see the Emperor basically until the last few scenes. FF3 was much like FF1 in that you didn't know who the baddy was. FF4 had people turning sides left and right, and the main guy wasn't even talked about until the last 3 scenes, and not seen until the last. FF5 was close, but you didn't see the main baddy until the second world. FF6 was the first FF game where the main baddy was present and known about for the entire plot of the game, and thus he was probably the most recognizable baddy that the FF series has ever seen. He's the guy I wish had been put into Kingdom Hearts...

Never really played FF1 and 2 so don't know anything about those. But even if you don't know who the villain is and you get to know in the the last few hours of the game, the events that happen in the begining of the game, and all other things are usually caused by the villain behind the scenes.

And Kefka is one of the best villians in all FF games. It might be, because as you said, he appeared early in the game, thus he makes much more of an impact.

And i doubt that they would put a Crazy Psyphopatic Killer Clown guy in a kids game.....

I could totally agree with you on Kefka being the sort of "unsung" hero of 6. Almost EVERYTHING in the game goes his way for the most part, except when you thump him and his forces in Narshe and obviously the end of the game. He was behind almost every single thing in the game, had his own plots, schemes, and he was so sickeningly evil its not even funny. Golbez was pretty cool on his own (And he's REALLY awesome in Dissidia), Exdeath was powerful, but suffered from stupid villain syndrome, and Sephiroth/Ultimecia/Kuja/Jecht just have no chance against him in terms of villiany. They even call him insane themselves in Dissidia.

Also. Best quotes for a villain ever. "Wait. He asks. Do I look like a WAITER to you?"

And: "RUN RUN OR YOU'LL BE WELL DONE"

Phenom: You kind of figured Sephiroth was the bad guy from the start in 7. He did have a lot of time to be developed, considering Cloud pretty much eked out his entire insane issue from Disc 1, and his plan was developed, but theres something missing there that just doesn't put him on Kefka's level. Ultimecia wasn't shown until Disc 3, and Kuja really wasn't powerful enough to be the know-all end-all boss of 9. Probably the thong's fault.

Back