Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Quick Pokemon Pearl question...

Scyther39

I am trying to help my son through his first Pokemon video game and it's been quite awhile since I've played myself.

We were playing through the game normally and doing fine, but it seems that he went and traded Pokemon with a neighbor. He traded for 2 much higher level Pokemon....Golem and maybe Torturo(sp?)...anyway, now he wants to go back and start capturing other low-level Pokemon because that is the only areas he knows. Well, the higher level Pokemon are afflicted with status affects and won't attack. Even if they could attack my bet is that they would one-shot the level 4 guys he's trying to capture.

What are we missing?

Do we just need to explore to a higher level area before trying to capture any new Pokemon?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You shouldn't have traded with a neighbor for high level Pokemon after only starting the game. Thing is, not all Pokemon will obey you if you've gotten them in a trade (or the Pokemon just absolutely hates you), unless you get a badge and when you receive it it says that it makes all Pokemon up to level (insert level needed here) obey you without question. I'd ask the neighbor for the Pokemon back if they're willing to help you out.

Thanks for the response. I figured it was something like that. Honestly, it was one of those situations where the neighbor talked him into trading and he didn't know what he was getting himself into.

Probably better off to reset and start again you think?

No probably not a good idea to restrart just catch some pokemon with full HP if you get lucky and train them to get all the badges so the traded pokemon will listen to you

well I guess it depends. If you can get the pokemon back from your neighbour i would go for that, but if you can't then i would just start the game over

Or you can just try speeding the game using those Pokemon he traded, and hope they decide to listen to you.

I might recommend another path...

Trade for a lower level Pokemon on GTS (Global Trading System). A traded Pokemon will gain XP faster, which is better than starting from scratch. (For instance, a traded Magikarp will level x1.5 faster...) Sometimes I'll trade a Magikarp for a friend's Magikarp, so we can both level up our Gyarados faster. (On GTS, people will trade same Pokemon for same Pokemon, just for that effect.)

As that Gyarados (or whatever you choose) gets higher in level, you might start hitting that same wall, where the Pokemon no longer wants to obey...it'll encourage your son to spread his XP around (and catch wild Pokemon that will obey him). Alternatively, if you trade with someone here for an egg, and your son hatches that egg, the Pokemon will be considered "his" and will always obey.

I'd be willing to trade a couple eggs of anything that can breed in my trading post. Click the link in my signature and search for something you want.

Just through the balls immediately, if you are still early in the game there is a good chance you'll catch them without weakening the Pokemon(you never really have to).

Back