Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Uk event calendar (tentative)

According to go-pokemon, this is what we have so far . . .

Manchester - 12th Dec
Poole - 13th Dec
Cumbernauld - 19th Dec
Rainham - 20th Dec
Aldershot - 2nd Jan
Leicester - 9th Jan
Ripley - 9th Jan
Bexleyheath - 10th Jan
Crawley - 16th Jan
Norwich - 17th Jan

Also one at Bournemouth on the 31st of Jan.

Any news on CC's for Brighton and Guildford?

OMG!!! Someone actually mentioned Scotland on the 'gym. I'll just look outside the window and see if the apocalypse has begun.

I didn't know where Cumbernauld is. If I had known it was in Scotland, I would still have mentioned it (probably) :wink:

Don't worry, according to this, Scotland will only have to wait until 2031 for another CC!

https://www.op.pokemon-tcg.com/tournaments/details.asp?tournament_id=512000386

More CC dates (I missed a page)

Exeter - 24th Jan
Bournemouth - 31st Jan
Bath - 31st Jan

Bournemouth on the 31st January will not be a CC. There is a local CC approx 6 miles away in Poole/Southbourne on the 13th December.

Brighton will not have a CC this year as there is no supporting league and turnout last year was very poor. Guildford/Normandy: there is an event scheduled for Aldershot which is only a few miles away.

I'm still waiting for several TOs to come back with dates for CCs.

That 2031 event is the Marie Celeste of Pokemon events. From what I can tell it was scheduled for 2005 but the date error means that it occasionally pops up on the locator. I tried to change its date to push it into the past but the OP website says that the event doesn't exist. Spooky

According to go-pokemon, this is what we have so far . . .

Manchester - 12th Dec
Poole - 13th Dec
Cumbernauld - 19th Dec
Rainham - 20th Dec
Aldershot - 2nd Jan
Leicester - 9th Jan
Ripley - 9th Jan
Bexleyheath - 10th Jan
Crawley - 16th Jan
Norwich - 17th Jan

Jak is the new Ian. Thanks man. Very useful to have them POSTED.

^ Well to be fair, they are all available to view on go-pokemon so you could have looked for yourself. And I'm sure Ian has more important things to do right now; just have some patience ;)

Bournemouth on the 31st January will not be a CC. There is a local CC approx 6 miles away in Poole/Southbourne on the 13th December.

Brighton will not have a CC this year as there is no supporting league and turnout last year was very poor. Guildford/Normandy: there is an event scheduled for Aldershot which is only a few miles away.

I'm still waiting for several TOs to come back with dates for CCs.

That 2031 event is the Marie Celeste of Pokemon events. From what I can tell it was scheduled for 2005 but the date error means that it occasionally pops up on the locator. I tried to change its date to push it into the past but the OP website says that the event doesn't exist. Spooky

I understand that those 3 CC's aren't solid choices, but it seems a blow to lose 3 CC locations all of a sudden - which were half of the CC's that I had planned to go to. Also for those casual players living near 2 locations, it allows them a back up option if they are already doing something on one of those dates (which can often happen). The younger players don't have access to Public Transport on their own, and may not be able to convince their parents to take them elsewhere. Does the loss of those locations mean 3 new CC locations will pop up? The populations of Poole and Bournemouth must be high, surely enough to find 15 casual league players in each city to make it worth having 2 CC's with further afield players filling in the rest?

If turnout is a problem, surely a list of CC's put up earlier will ensure people can plan ahead and make more Cities?

Jmo

Leeds now confirmed for Saturday 9th January.
Registration from 9am... formal annoucements at 10am followed by first round shortly thereafter

Jaedon

This year the UK is certainly being rationed on the number of CC's being held and that is a shame. The as the crow flies method of allocating CC's is on the face of it fair though and I can understand why if Aldershot is running a CC Normandy (Guildford) would not get one.

I can also understand that since the Gamers Guild is running two events already it is 'Fair' to give a new TO in Aldershot a chance to run a CC. I do think we have a better venue at Normandy with ample parking and facilities all on one level... BUT THEN I WOULD DO ANYWAY.. and I am hardly going to be impartial on that...

I do however understand why we are not running an event there this CC Season.

The Poole/Bournemouth issue however does ignore the fact that travelling between the two towns is hampered by a rather large river with no bridge and a long journey round from one to the other. Hence why there are two leagues in what seems to be close proximity to each other, geographically they are next door but in reality they are a 40 minute journey apart.

But again we are limited on CC numbers this year and must 'cut our coat to suit our cloth'

We all want more CC's but that will not happen when attendances have been falling, so get out and support your local CC and also see about travelling to others too... The same goes for States.. you can make a difference to next season and next year by supporting your TO's this season.

We'll be bringing some of the Guild Gang down to Russell on the 13th of December and I hope we will see a good few of you at Rainham on the 20th :D

It is important that we all support each other in making what CC's we do have a success :D

Last edited:
I understand that those 3 CC's aren't solid choices, but it seems a blow to lose 3 CC locations all of a sudden - which were half of the CC's that I had planned to go to. Also for those casual players living near 2 locations, it allows them a back up option if they are already doing something on one of those dates (which can often happen). The younger players don't have access to Public Transport on their own, and may not be able to convince their parents to take them elsewhere. Does the loss of those locations mean 3 new CC locations will pop up? The populations of Poole and Bournemouth must be high, surely enough to find 15 casual league players in each city to make it worth having 2 CC's with further afield players filling in the rest?

If turnout is a problem, surely a list of CC's put up earlier will ensure people can plan ahead and make more Cities?

Jmo

Have to say, is not having a league really a good enough reason not to let someone run a premier event? Also would have to add in very confused on why Aldershot has been given a city over Normandy? Would the venue at Normandy SLIGHTLY be better due to access for disabled players etc? Why has an event, which when advertised properly could be a very big draw to the game for new players, been cut down when it should in theory been expanded, especially as the TCG Industry was/is in tailspin with the various other OP Outlets being very disorganized due to takeovers/no firm OP it would give the Pokemon TCG a strong lead position?

or I could have missed the point? :)

Thinking about it again, if attendences have been falling - why have there been CC cuts? Having less CC's isn't going to improve attendences. By having CC's with low attendences, players will have an easier time getting better prizes - which should raise the attendence for next time. Also if CC locations keep changing, thats only going to put off new players. For a venue to grow in attendence, it needs to be there year after year and build up.

I think there are the same number as last year. I think the US decides how many we get.

It would have been nice to have a CC in Brighton but definitely NOT at the same location as last year. :eek:

This years CC allocation closely matches the number of completed events from last year. I expect that there will be much less wasted material in the UK this year as a consequence. Reducing waste is good for UK OP. The number of completed events this year should be similar to last year.

OP costs money and time. Poorly attended events are bad when it comes to justifing increased support and bad for the Organisers too who risk a loss with every event. This year there is staff support for each and every premiere rated event which should help organisers to put on better events.

Increased support will only come with increasing attendances.

Last edited:
Increased support will only come with increasing attendances.

But POP will get increased attendences alot more quicker by investing in more events. By having more tournaments, people will attend more CC's and new locations get access to a local tournament. If there is low attendences, then prize support will be high for each player which will encourage them to come again and for new players to hear about it and come.

Its very common for new businesses to lose money in the first few years, because it takes a while to be able to break even and become established. These tournaments are an investment, as is OP as a whole. So far this season, 330 in the UK have attended a k value tournament. Thats about 1 in 18,000 people - and this is similar for OP as a whole around the World. I'd be suprised if Pokemon have made any profit from increased sales as opposed to OP costs globally ( not just UK ) since it started.

But POP will get increased attendences alot more quicker by investing in more events. By having more tournaments, people will attend more CC's and new locations get access to a local tournament. If there is low attendences, then prize support will be high for each player which will encourage them to come again and for new players to hear about it and come.

Its very common for new businesses to lose money in the first few years, because it takes a while to be able to break even and become established. These tournaments are an investment, as is OP as a whole. So far this season, 330 in the UK have attended a k value tournament. Thats about 1 in 18,000 people - and this is similar for OP as a whole around the World. I'd be suprised if Pokemon have made any profit from increased sales as opposed to OP costs globally ( not just UK ) since it started.

In fairness tho....Pokemon is not a new business and OP (Whether it was WOTC, Pokemon, etc in charge) has been around years and with the industry in the state as it is in the UK atm (With all the other major TCG's going through massive changes in the UK (UDE Europe Losing YGO TCG, Magic changing OP again, Warcraft not moving forward with no real working OP in most of these cases so Pokemon had/has a massive chance to grab players from these other TCG's and show them how good the game is and therefore increase the playerbase. Somtimes you need a "good" event well advertised to draw players from the local area who may not be aware of OP to bring them in, and not have an elitist "Come to the league then the CC" - add to this parents time, taking a child to a one off event once every so often is more then likely then a weekly club/league (This has been proven in nearly every TCG out there. Also to add - Pokemon TCG in the UK is the ONLY one which has the "No League Unlikely to have Premier" rule and from speaking to others seems to be more of a negative then positive....)

Again might have missed the point.......

I think there are the same number as last year. I think the US decides how many we get.

As far as I am aware, again from my dealings with various OP's, this is discussed with the Co-Ordinator and there can be a case put forward if needs be for more. However US word is final - Unless it changes :).

Last edited:
Nnaann, It is even more common for businesses to cut their losses when they fail to establish or respond to the existing investment. Just how long have we had OP in the UK? Fortunately for us the USA has not given up on OP in the UK. But that does not mean that the behaviours of the past will be tollerated indefinately.

If any player is picking their events based upon lack of attendance in order to maximise their likely gain then don't be surprised if those very events dissappear.

Small events are more expensive to run on a per player basis, higher risk to the TO and just not as much fun for the attendees many of whom have no option but to travel long distances. Three rounds and no top cut isn't much of a CC. This is why it is crucial to have a local player base upon which to build event attendance.

Nathan, I have a task for you at league that should make the current situation much clearer.

--------

Venomex: there is no rule that an organiser will not get a premiere event without a league. Please don't make such a false statement. However it is much harder to allocate limited resources to such an organiser when there are competing claims from a nearby organiser that does have a league.

Last edited:
Venomex: there is no rule that an organiser will not get a première event without a league. Please don't make such a false statement. However it is much harder to allocate limited resources to such an organiser when there are competing claims from a nearby organiser that does have a league.

Brighton will not have a CC this year as there is no supporting league and turnout last year was very poor.

Also to add - Pokemon TCG in the UK is the ONLY one which has the "No League Unlikely to have Premier" rule and from speaking to others seems to be more of a negative then positive....)

Nopoke - This was in response to your earlier post which you suggested that Brighton would not have a CC due to No League and low turnout. My comments, as a general point, was that this would be not a good trend to follow if such a rule existed or if the only certain way a TO can get a CC is by running a league this would be bad on the whole for the TCG, again maintaining that a well organized and publish well in advance set of premier events would draw casual players into the TCG.

Also just to add to this - yes it would be easy for TPCI to pull out from OP completely in the UK - however OP is Marketing = Sales = profit so seems very unlikely they would pull out alltogether........even Konami has kept a token presence in the UK with the OP for YGO Tcg.

Pokemon TCG is a good selling product. However if you look at how many people are buying products from retail outlets (Taken from marketing surveys and shop sale figures) against how many new players join op there is a big gap. Again the point is - Pokemon OP in the UK has the potential to be a lot larger then what it is now the goal should be to attract these buyers into Organized Play.

Last edited:
Back