Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

US Nationals 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to theorymon the Nats location.

I think the VGC was a big step in boosting the player base, and POP's big break from Origins. After seeing VGC's success, and how the VG and CG r now all on one site, my guess is that POP will try to make room for both at Nats. 2 birds 1 stone. And considering how we've heard NOTHING about the VGC yet (I think) there may be some major plans in the works.

The most reasonable places to have a VG/CG convention would be wherever they held VGC qualifiers because they r all pretty major cities. Can't remember all of them but there was
San Francisco
Phoenix
Dallas/FtWorth
Chicago?
New York?
were there more?

I doubt it'll be Phoenix...June is HOT and downtown is no place for kids once u walk out of a certain 10-block radius. It would be sick to only have to drive 30 min from my house to get to Nats tho XD hometown advantage ftw

But everything else is possible. If I were in charge my #1 pick would be Chicago. It makes the most sense out of that group, it's only 2-3 hours from where the last 2 Nats were. And Chicago during summer is magical. Food, shopping, museums, skyscrapers, THE LAKE...just make sure u STAY AWAY from the projects :)

#2 would be Dallas, it seems like the most economical choice behind Phoenix. idk anything about Dallas but if it's one of the biggest cities in the country it can't be much worse than St. Louis.
San Fran would be interesting but it doesn't seem like much of a tourist city, especially for kids. Nor is it cheap, San Fran has rich written all over it.

EDIT: JPN Gallade was faster than me, but yayaya he's right. Navy Pier/McHenry would be perfect. I coulda sworn they had a VG qualifier since it's so big. Chicago does need cheering up, they're losing Oprah soon.

Last edited:
With Nationals in St. Louis, what do you think are the answers to the following questions...

1. What percentage of people from the East Coast (Northeast and MD/VA/NC/SC/GA/FL) drove?

2. What percentage of people from the East Coast (Northeast and MD/VA/NC/SC/GA/FL) flew?

3. What percentage of people from the West Coast (WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, ID, MT) drove?

4. What percentage of people from the West Coast (WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, ID, MT) flew?

5. What percentage of people from Texas drove?

6. What percentage of people from Texas flew?

OK, I think I made a little mistake

When I said that one of the convention centers in Chicago that could host nats would be the Mchenry place, the Mchenry place is actually the McCormick Place. As you guessed, the McCormick place is the place that hosts auto-mobile conventions. Sorry about the error. It's just that I forgot the name of the convention center, so I thought of a name that sounded close to it, and that's how I ended up calling it the Mchenry Place.

Again, sorry for the error. The convention I meant to say is the McCormick Place. Indeed, its so large, it's great to have nats there.

Last edited:
nats in chicago would be pretty cool...

signed (darth pika, that pikachu snuggie is goin' to look great xD)

Ya know, The Gorn has probably made the absolute best points in this entire discussion thus far, lets think for a moment: The Eastern portion of the US has the greatest portion of people. Now, we can't please everybody, of that we all know, but consider this: People living in NY, Maine, Penn, MA, Vermont, New Hampshire, etc are already having to fly or drive just as far west as those in the West driving/flying east. (With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii, I'm sorry Alaskans and Hawaiians, there's not much we can do >.<) The Country is a BIG place, St.Louis is technically the "center" and while this may be fair to all those concerned, St.Louis...sucked last year. I'm sorry PUSA...but it really sucked. Chicago might be a slightly better option due to the fact that it's still sort of in the center of the country. If there were a decently large city anywhere else...it would still be Chicago.

Is it likely? No. Is it smart? Yes. Is it safe? I wouldn't know, I don't live there. I understand that PUI are a bunch of (mostly) intelligent people. They have these and MANY other things to take into consideration, but let's think for a second. The largest player base is where? East. The Largest Regional and State Championships are where? East. The Largest City and BR tournaments are where? The Georgia Marathon. If cost is an issue, where are they most likely to have more people and make more money? East. I feel for those on the West coast, I really do, but consider this: St.Louis is a 2 day drive from Orlando. It's even longer from somewhere like NY or Boston. They have to fly just about as far as you do. If ANYTHING we will not go a single mile further west. Get. Over. It. Chicago is a much larger city with plenty more to do and still about the same travel distance for those in the West. But even still it's a long drive/flight for those of us in the East, and seeing as how there are significantly more of us than there are of you...and the needs of the many outway the needs of the few...St.Louis or Chicago is the best compromise you'll get.

A third possible location for Nationals in Chicago would be the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, which is just outside of O'Hare International Airport (2nd largest in the US) and has at least 4 different 20-story hotels across the street. It's got 3 different halls over 200,000 square feet. By comparison, the space we had at the America's Center had 50,000 square feet, which obviously wasn't enough for the two different Nationals. I'd think that 100k would be the minimum amount of floor space required for Nats this year, expecting a 25-30% increase in attendance in the TCG and hopefully a higher turnout for the VGC.

Why not move US Nationals around? One year in the middle, one year on the West Coast, one year on the East Coast, one year in Texas, ...

Back on topic...

*Signed*

As a Canadian baseball umpire, Alberta had a 40oC (100-110oF) heat wave and I was working a triple header (had sunburn on the back of my hands)

Went to Hawaii flew over night (60oF) and when i got to hawaii it was 90-95oF and I was still wearing my jeans and hoodie...didn't bother to take it off....

My point here is, as a Northern Canadian (Edmonton is the same latitude as Moscow)
I have the luxury of traveling anywhere without a jacket =)

Ryan, I do believe the St Louis convention center does have more room. I think we used only a fraction of St.Louis hall space. It cost money, but there is more room. (BTW, I do hope they increase the space rented for 2010.) Think back to Columbus with all the different halls. You can look it up at the St Louis Convention center to see the available space.

Again, I am sure they are fairly close on this. Further speculation or suggestions at this time isn't going to change anything when they announce the details for 2010.

I think we should pick a cold state and a bigger place where people can walk around. When there's so many people clogged into one big room, it gets chaotic, you can barely hear what the other one is saying, it get's hot in there because your around so many people. My suggestion is have 3 different rooms for each age division, so it wouldn't be as crowded. I'm sure the TO's could work something out and it would make all of our lives easier. That way, we wouldn't be tripping into smaller children and seniors screaming at your face, like "a bunch of wild chimpanzees"

Hey, here's an idea - hold it at the Metro Toronto Convention center! It'll hold 14,000 people! Of course we'd have to move all the igloos and polar bears outta da way. Oh, darn, too bad eh, guess it won't help you guys. LOL. [/spam]

Ryan, I do believe the St Louis convention center does have more room. I think we used only a fraction of St.Louis hall space. It cost money, but there is more room. (BTW, I do hope they increase the space rented for 2010.) Think back to Columbus with all the different halls. You can look it up at the St Louis Convention center to see the available space.

Again, I am sure they are fairly close on this. Further speculation or suggestions at this time isn't going to change anything when they announce the details for 2010.

It does. I was comparing it to the space that we used (50k exactly), not the total space of the convention center (I believe it's about 250k, not including the football arena).

Hey, here's an idea - hold it at the Metro Toronto Convention center! It'll hold 14,000 people! Of course we'd have to move all the igloos and polar bears outta da way. Oh, darn, too bad eh, guess it won't help you guys. LOL. [/spam]

Lets just call it the North American Championship. But you have to host.

It would be my pleasure. Of course I'd have to have all the wonderful folks here as my helpers. Hey don't think you're gonna get away with agreeing with me without me putting you to work! LOL.

Official info is still forthcoming. Unofficial info is available on this thread if you are willing to take the chance. Your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back