Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

City's Is Over, On To States, What Are You Expecting?

who cares, we did understood didn't we?
i thought about spiritomb at Palkia lock, sounds weird, and it's nuts if you ask me...
but it might succed

well, of course throughout cities, i saw (and u probably did too)craploads of SP decks. but that doesnt mean that they are the best choice. for some people, cities are testing for states, and other people arent gonna show thier states decks beforehand. with states 2 months away, im sure heart gold soul silver will change opinions, but heres mine

the 4 top decks in no special order IMO
Gengar
Dialga G
Blazeray
Gyrados

other decks that i think can win a states or 2
Glisctomb
Palkia Lock
Machamp
Flygon

with that said, 3/4 of these decks are either disruption, some sort of lock, or both. and this metagame shows that if you can disrupt your opponent by switching thier pokemon, paralyzing them, etc or lock their powers, trainers, and stadiums, and still have pokemon that attack for high amounts of damage, the deck will be a success. i expect this to stay through states. opinions???
Hey well um i bet you you'r wrong the top 8 decks u posted are a load of old deck and get no benfit from the new pack just leting you no and lol blazeray??? MaChamp? and gengar is dead its only gengar switch now well thanks.:fire::grass::water::psychic::lightning::fighting::colorless::dark::metal:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

My only statement to this is absouletly and completely not a shot.

First off, if you think that those decks are T4 and that the other 4 can win (other than Flygon) you are not thinking before you made this post. I am POSITIVE that this format is going to SERIOUSLY be altered by the time States is around. Most of the decks that are played right now save my 2 or 3 are going to be non-factors come States. I have a hard time believe that Dialga, BlazeRay, Gengar, GlisTomb, Palkia Lock, and Machamp will do well during States. The introduction of a few cards including DCE completely changes how the format is going to be. There is a reason I posted my GlisTomb list in my report for the 6 CC I went to. It will be not playable come States time and while a Senior or Junior might be able to win with it, I would be absoluletly shocked if a Masters won with it.

You really should take a look at the next set and then you will see what I am talking about as far as the format being completely different. :thumb:

Drew

this is true sorry i posted twice but hes right the format is going to be defrint ,

Last edited:
Hey well um i bet you you'r wrong the top 8 decks u posted are a load of old deck and get no benfit from the new pack

Um. Pokemon Collector? DCE? If anything, some of the decks he listed get dramatically powerful off one card alone. Gyarados, coming to mind.

As for your Gengar comment, tell me how your matchups with Cursegar go with remotely any deck in format, then get back to me. Its not dead, especially since Spiritomb will likely lock your goods cards too.

On to my list of Top 8 decks in the format(in NO order)
1. Gyarados
comment-PKMN collector helps it a lot, biggest problem is definitely bad starts. Luxray GL LV.X/Luxray GL are pains as is Gengar but they can be overcome.

2. Luxray/Garchomp
comment-DCE helps this one out a lot. Much easier to get back to back Dragon Rushes and still has excellent time coverage. Overall no true autolosses. W/ Flygon's speed increase that will hurt this deck. Obviously only 110 HP per attacker hurts especially since Gyarados one shots this entire deck.

3. Jumpluff
comment-Really seems to be taking on the underdog role as Dialga G did last year. Two very good cheap attacks. Problems arrive when Shaymin X is prized and when the techs slow widdle away. Charizard poses a huge threat to this deck, but most decks fill up their bench so it should a top 8 deck.

4. Charizard
comment-similar strategy to jumpluff. Weak to Gyarados, really that's it. Just a tank deck IMO. But a VERY fast tank deck. Gatr could hurt this one as well.

5.FlyChamp
comment-should be a solid deck again, probably won't win the most states, but w/ DCE has no autolosses for the first time(Speedrill). It is now not a slow deck and against any deck can give them a problems.

6.Feraligator w/????
comment-so far everyone seems to want to pair it with anything water, from starmie to lumineon it is a very versatile water card, except that Luxray GL/Luxray GL LV.X one shot and that it takes a ton of energy to do anything. IMO it's overhyped but worth mentioning.

7.Gengar
comment-this deck is ancient.....
Everything about this deck has been said so no point in continuing.

8.Dialga/Garchomp
Another tank deck(see a trend?). This is a very strategic and somewhat slow SP deck, DCE also doesn't help it as much as Luxray/Garchomp. Flygon LV.X still poses a problem, but overall IMO a strategic deck is always a huge threat.

Decks just missing the cut
Speedrill(new weedle helps it a bit)
Blazeray(nothing new from set not sure if it can withstand some of these more tankish decks again)
Luxape(slower than blazeray and has same problems)
Donphan(overhyped but hard for me to see it as a consistent topcutting deck)
Stallgon(slow and lock can easily be broken with pokemon reversal)
I think that's everything, hope to see u at states Naki Ferlakin.

Feraligatr Prime + Steelix SF's Outbreak Power. It doesn't autoloss to *Jumpluff and stuff. It seems a bit weird and clunky, especially when Spinning Tail is an alternative, but it occurred to me as something people can try.

Last edited:
Isn't Feraligatr weak to grass, not electric? Feraligatr wouldn't be the main attacker, but if you went up against Jumpluff and all you have to do is play Pokemon Reversal on Feraligatr. Boom, that would pretty much be the end of Prime Feraligatr, when Jumpluff OHKO's him

Hmm, I keep forgetting that Feraligatr's weakness is strange. Sorry.

And, at least reversal's flippy.

Why on earth do you need something to go with Feraligatr? The only thing I would POSSIBLE CONSIDER using with it is...oh wait. Nothing. I'll take my T2 Gatr Prime and Hydro Crunch whatever gets in my way.

Hmm, I keep forgetting that Feraligatr's weakness is strange. Sorry.
What is strange about a water pokemon being weak to a grass pokemon? Now a Gardevior being weak to a Gardevoir I consider that trend to be strange.

I believe its because of the Ghost weakness that Psychic pokemon have in game. Similar to that of Dragon weakness to other Dragon types. (Though to this moment I'm still wondering why we haven't seen a Flygon/Dragonite/Garchomp/Salamence that is weak to water to confirm Dragon's true weakness..)

Gyarados
comment-PKMN collector helps it a lot, biggest problem is definitely bad starts.

Bad starts? Gyarados literally doesn't get bad starts. The only bad start is if you don't see a Sableye T1, which should be a rarity anyways since you should be running 4. The only true bad start is a solo Karp which should just not happen with the amount of techs/basics run in Gyarados. Cursegar will continue to give this deck problems, even if you can find a way around it, simply because all Gengar has to do after it gains an early lead is dump a fainting spell in the way to flip off the 2 prizes, potentially. If it doesn't KO them, then you target the bench with Shadow Room (since we know there are juicy power pokemon on the bench.) You can even Poltergeist effectively since Gyarados keeps a massive hand almost all the time.

2. Luxray/Garchomp
comment-DCE helps this one out a lot. Much easier to get back to back Dragon Rushes and still has excellent time coverage. Overall no true autolosses. W/ Flygon's speed increase that will hurt this deck. Obviously only 110 HP per attacker hurts especially since Gyarados one shots this entire deck.

Luxchomp's true problem comes in the end game where drawing into DCE becomes more of a chore, and that any deck capable of weathering the storm will manage to KO just as much as this deck is capable of KO'ing. I made this deck and found that despite my constant sniping, my opponent was still able to keep pace. Not to mention if you ruin this decks draw support, getting the DCE becomes more of a chore.

I'm not saying this deck is bad at all, because it isn't, but anything capable of keeping a steady shootout pace will win in the end. Garchomp also comes to mind here, being able to one shot everything thrown at it, even capable of Guard Clawing a Garchomp off with one hit (with belt) throwing you behind a bit.

comment-Really seems to be taking on the underdog role as Dialga G did last year. Two very good cheap attacks. Problems arrive when Shaymin X is prized and when the techs slow widdle away. Charizard poses a huge threat to this deck, but most decks fill up their bench so it should a top 8 deck.

I agree on this deck being the underdog, however Shaymin being prized can become irrelevant by merely Azelfing, (Hey another +10 to Jumpluffs damage <3)

I'm not sold on Charizard. If it becomes a threat, so be it, it will be played, but it won't be enough to win events. I think Jumpluff has the speed and the power to really cause problems with some of the bigger decks in format, and Charizard lacks the consistency and is weaked by a very large majority.

4. Charizard
comment-similar strategy to jumpluff. Weak to Gyarados, really that's it. Just a tank deck IMO. But a VERY fast tank deck. Gatr could hurt this one as well.

I like this guy for one reason. He wrecks Dialga G. The problem that lies in that however is all Dialga has to do is return to its roots and play its little brother Palkia. Charizard had enormous potential to finally be the one zard to rule them all, the unfortunate part is that he's coming into existence with a meta game that could be heavy on water. Gyarados, Palkia Lock, and (while I think it is illegitimate) Feraligatr all say hi to Charizard and can make his life a living heck.

Sad Charizard is sad. The one Zard that could finally have had a chance in competitive play ruined by the metagame. Thats the thing setting Jumpluff apart from Zard. Jumpluff has problems from one deck. And this deck is wrecked by at least 3-4 other decks, and probably additional due to possible techs in SP (Empoleon? Palkia?)

5.FlyChamp
comment-should be a solid deck again, probably won't win the most states, but w/ DCE has no autolosses for the first time(Speedrill). It is now not a slow deck and against any deck can give them a problems.

The amount of wins compared to top cuts would like a word with you. I'd take a chance with Landshark before I go back to this inconsistent abomination.

6.Feraligator w/????
comment-so far everyone seems to want to pair it with anything water, from starmie to lumineon it is a very versatile water card, except that Luxray GL/Luxray GL LV.X one shot and that it takes a ton of energy to do anything. IMO it's overhyped but worth mentioning.

I'd just run it by itself, personally. No need to clunk something that doesn't need clunked, IMHO. I think it will be run due to the hype factor, and I think this guy is hyped worse than Donphan and just won't cut it out due to inability to stay consistent and find energies all the time. I want to like this guy, I really do, but theres so many ways to shut him off (Palkia Lock, quick aggro, JUMPLUFF) that its not even worth trying.

It will be played. Will it win? Probably not.

7.Gengar
comment-this deck is ancient.....
Everything about this deck has been said so no point in continuing.

Pretty much. Cursegar remains worthwhile in the Top decks simply because it doesn't gain, nor does it lose anything from this set. How does this change its matchups? It doesn't. It continues to kick butt and look awesome in doing so.

8.Dialga/Garchomp
Another tank deck(see a trend?). This is a very strategic and somewhat slow SP deck, DCE also doesn't help it as much as Luxray/Garchomp. Flygon LV.X still poses a problem, but overall IMO a strategic deck is always a huge threat.

I can't see this deck. I'm sorry. It was pretty relevant at cities, but everyone noticed it started to die out later on when counters started becoming played and Cursegar began to win a lot more events. Even the thought of Charizard being in this format renders him extinct since I can't see there being much room for Palkia in that list. Save this slot for Palkia Lock which benefits from the new set.

I'm also noticing a disturbing lack of Plox on your list, not that I think its effected over too greatly by this format, and after testing Landshark a bit, I'm becoming pleased with its potential revival into this format.

dragons in the TCG wont ever have a weakness to W (ice you might be alluding to ) because in the VG they are resistant to real W. seeing that W in the weakness would just never, ever work.

the same cannot be said for bronzong. he is unique due to his VG body.

Ryan, I suggest you look at some of the Metagross cards printed over the years. In the video game, it has a 4x Resistance to Psychic (it also is not weak to Ghost and cannot be touched by Poison), but somehow DX Metagross manages to be WEAK to Psychic in the TCG. Until you can explain that one to me, I wouldn't rule anything out regarding Weakness. :p

dragons in the TCG wont ever have a weakness to W (ice you might be alluding to )

I was using that as an example due to the 4X Ice weakness, since there is no legitimate ice type.

but somehow DX Metagross manages to be WEAK to Psychic in the TCG. Until you can explain that one to me, I wouldn't rule anything out regarding Weakness. :p

Yeah, I'm definitely not getting this one at all.

I believe its because of the Ghost weakness that Psychic pokemon have in game. Similar to that of Dragon weakness to other Dragon types. (Though to this moment I'm still wondering why we haven't seen a Flygon/Dragonite/Garchomp/Salamence that is weak to water to confirm Dragon's true weakness..)

Bad starts? Gyarados literally doesn't get bad starts. The only bad start is if you don't see a Sableye T1, which should be a rarity anyways since you should be running 4. The only true bad start is a solo Karp which should just not happen with the amount of techs/basics run in Gyarados. Cursegar will continue to give this deck problems, even if you can find a way around it, simply because all Gengar has to do after it gains an early lead is dump a fainting spell in the way to flip off the 2 prizes, potentially. If it doesn't KO them, then you target the bench with Shadow Room (since we know there are juicy power pokemon on the bench.) You can even Poltergeist effectively since Gyarados keeps a massive hand almost all the time.

Luxchomp's true problem comes in the end game where drawing into DCE becomes more of a chore, and that any deck capable of weathering the storm will manage to KO just as much as this deck is capable of KO'ing. I made this deck and found that despite my constant sniping, my opponent was still able to keep pace. Not to mention if you ruin this decks draw support, getting the DCE becomes more of a chore.

I'm not saying this deck is bad at all, because it isn't, but anything capable of keeping a steady shootout pace will win in the end. Garchomp also comes to mind here, being able to one shot everything thrown at it, even capable of Guard Clawing a Garchomp off with one hit (with belt) throwing you behind a bit.

I agree on this deck being the underdog, however Shaymin being prized can become irrelevant by merely Azelfing, (Hey another +10 to Jumpluffs damage <3)

I'm not sold on Charizard. If it becomes a threat, so be it, it will be played, but it won't be enough to win events. I think Jumpluff has the speed and the power to really cause problems with some of the bigger decks in format, and Charizard lacks the consistency and is weaked by a very large majority.

I like this guy for one reason. He wrecks Dialga G. The problem that lies in that however is all Dialga has to do is return to its roots and play its little brother Palkia. Charizard had enormous potential to finally be the one zard to rule them all, the unfortunate part is that he's coming into existence with a meta game that could be heavy on water. Gyarados, Palkia Lock, and (while I think it is illegitimate) Feraligatr all say hi to Charizard and can make his life a living heck.

Sad Charizard is sad. The one Zard that could finally have had a chance in competitive play ruined by the metagame. Thats the thing setting Jumpluff apart from Zard. Jumpluff has problems from one deck. And this deck is wrecked by at least 3-4 other decks, and probably additional due to possible techs in SP (Empoleon? Palkia?)

The amount of wins compared to top cuts would like a word with you. I'd take a chance with Landshark before I go back to this inconsistent abomination.

I'd just run it by itself, personally. No need to clunk something that doesn't need clunked, IMHO. I think it will be run due to the hype factor, and I think this guy is hyped worse than Donphan and just won't cut it out due to inability to stay consistent and find energies all the time. I want to like this guy, I really do, but theres so many ways to shut him off (Palkia Lock, quick aggro, JUMPLUFF) that its not even worth trying.

It will be played. Will it win? Probably not.

Pretty much. Cursegar remains worthwhile in the Top decks simply because it doesn't gain, nor does it lose anything from this set. How does this change its matchups? It doesn't. It continues to kick butt and look awesome in doing so.

I can't see this deck. I'm sorry. It was pretty relevant at cities, but everyone noticed it started to die out later on when counters started becoming played and Cursegar began to win a lot more events. Even the thought of Charizard being in this format renders him extinct since I can't see there being much room for Palkia in that list. Save this slot for Palkia Lock which benefits from the new set.

I'm also noticing a disturbing lack of Plox on your list, not that I think its effected over too greatly by this format, and after testing Landshark a bit, I'm becoming pleased with its potential revival into this format.

^
i KNEW i forgot something, yeah plox definitely replaces Gatr up there :p
Also the ONLY reason I listed gatr was due to its hype, I think it's terrabad...
Also if you want to talk about FlyChamp, IDK the exact number, but on beach I think someone said it only won like 10 cities....
Not sure on top cuts, definitely too inconsistent....
Also Luxchomp w/DCE is inconsistent(duh...)I haven't playtested a lot yet.
Jumpluff I am beginning to like more and more, also for Zard you could just tech in something water(IDK what, if PGX only worked on opponett it would be the best tech ever...)If empo MD didn't require 3 energy to attack that would be an AMAZING tech in Jumpluff for Charizard....
Maybe just Palkia G....
But hard to think of good water tech...
Anyways I think I'll be playing one of these though
Gyarados(IDK why but when I played my list I just couldn't get Sableye start and YES i played 4 and it was a pretty standard list..., just no luck)
LuxChomp w/DCE-inconsistent but not sure on matchups
FlyChamp-again I love this deck but I usually just run consistent decks...
Jumpluff-wasn't considering it at the start but has now crossed my time as a legit option(finds anti-zard tech)
Blazeray-I love this deck so MUCH, it's just not that good anymore...(at least I don't think it will be great for states, not enough HP)
Palkia Lock-I love SPs and this IMO is the most consistent one(beating out Blazeray only because all you need is a T1 mesprit on bench for it to work...)
Toxitank-I'm not joking...if SPs aren't big this deck could come back again, just needs the right techs(not neccessarily saying toolbox)
Last but not least
CHARIZARD
I will always give him a chance, my dad's favorite poke and it would be cool to do well with it.
Also I can't wait until RL comes out, I think Scizor would be really good in this format...

^
i KNEW i forgot something, yeah plox definitely replaces Gatr up there :p
Also the ONLY reason I listed gatr was due to its hype, I think it's terrabad...
Also if you want to talk about FlyChamp, IDK the exact number, but on beach I think someone said it only won like 10 cities....
Not sure on top cuts, definitely too inconsistent....
Also Luxchomp w/DCE is inconsistent(duh...)I haven't playtested a lot yet.
Jumpluff I am beginning to like more and more, also for Zard you could just tech in something water(IDK what, if PGX only worked on opponett it would be the best tech ever...)If empo MD didn't require 3 energy to attack that would be an AMAZING tech in Jumpluff for Charizard....
Maybe just Palkia G....
But hard to think of good water tech...
Anyways I think I'll be playing one of these though
Gyarados(IDK why but when I played my list I just couldn't get Sableye start and YES i played 4 and it was a pretty standard list..., just no luck)
LuxChomp w/DCE-inconsistent but not sure on matchups
FlyChamp-again I love this deck but I usually just run consistent decks...
Jumpluff-wasn't considering it at the start but has now crossed my time as a legit option(finds anti-zard tech)
Blazeray-I love this deck so MUCH, it's just not that good anymore...(at least I don't think it will be great for states, not enough HP)
Palkia Lock-I love SPs and this IMO is the most consistent one(beating out Blazeray only because all you need is a T1 mesprit on bench for it to work...)
Toxitank-I'm not joking...if SPs aren't big this deck could come back again, just needs the right techs(not neccessarily saying toolbox)
Last but not least
CHARIZARD
I will always give him a chance, my dad's favorite poke and it would be cool to do well with it.
Also I can't wait until RL comes out, I think Scizor would be really good in this format...
Charizard? Seriously? I think it was implicit that a deck featuring Charizard would never be tier 1 since base set.

Back