Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

5th BeNeLux Cup, 3rd Place Report

Volt

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
So.. The 5th BeNeLux Cup was announced, and I was quite excited. I planned to sit home in the first place, but changed my mind after a friend of mine (ShadowGuard) told me that it is the inoffical European Championship and IF someone has the opportunity to attend, he should. I decided against me and called some people for car/stay overnight purpose.

I tested LuxChomp, Pl0x and Jumpluff, but just didn't feel well enough for such a big tournament. Then a friend of mine played some wicked Gyarados, which was literally unbeatable. I refused to believe that none of my Decks were able to destroy it. Some days passed and I eventually got ahold of a Gengar line and did some testing. I though in the first place: "That's gonna be my fundeck", but I changed my mind quickly after I improved it (= tossing Crobat's + Turns out) and couldn't get beaten by anything. I felt really confident, and decided to play CurseGar at the BeNeLux Cup.

Pokémon (27):
1 Gengar LV.X
1 Gengar SF
2 Gengar AR
2 Haunter AR (Body)
3 Gastly SF
2 Claydol
2 Baltoy
1 Dusknoir
1 Duskull (Shiny)
1 Mewtwo MD
1 Mewtwo LV.X
2 Mr. Mime MT
1 Relicanth
1 Azelf LA
1 Unown [G]
1 Unown [Q]
4 Spiritomb AR

Trainer (21):
4 Bebe's Search
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Team Galactic's Wager
4 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
1 Night Maintenance
2 Expert Belt
2 Moonlight Stadium

Energy (12):
4 Call Energy
7 Psychic Energy
1 Fighting Energy

We arrived early and I was looking for an Unown Q in Reverse, as I'm only playing my Decks if they're completly foil, and I found a french one. I registered, bought some Sandwich and waited for the Pairings.

1. Round vs. Sceptile (IdK who):

We got setup really quickly due to our Spiritombs, and he eventually drew 2 prizes with Sceptile AR. After I Shadow Skipped him, he got afraid and retreated to 'Tomb, searched for nothing. I played Rosi, grabbed Azelf + Psy, Retreat, and lock'd him up. As he wasn't playing Unown G and knew he'd never die (2x Curse removing damage from 'Tomb), he scooped.

1-0

2. Round vs. CurseGar (IdK who)

I was waaaay faster than he was. After he filled his bench I decided to lock him up with Azelf. He didn't play Warp Energy, so he scooped.

2-0

3. Round vs. Flygon/Magnezone (IdK who)

We did our setup stuff until he retreated to 'Tomb and evolved. I tried to do the Azelf shenanigan, but he eventually had enough targets to KO himself. I still got 2 Prize Cards, and after he had Magnezone LV.X w/ 3 SP Metals active, I played Warp, Duskull Candy Dusk and ruined his tank strategy. I destroyed his bench with Compound Pain and after he realized that Extreme Attack just wasn't enough to take Gengar LV.X out he scooped.

3-0

4. Round vs. CurseGar (Alessandro C.)

We got both setup and I managed to lock him up with Azelf. He still didn't gave up, so I wondered if he'd play Unown G or Warp Energy. After 3 Turns he played Rosi, smashed his Deck somewhere else and flipped over his prizes: 2 Warp Energy. GG man XD.

4-0

5. Round vs. Kingdra/Blissey (Sandro A.)

He never got setup. I attacked 3 times with Gengar and won.

5-0

6. Round vs. Flygon/Ampharos (Kristel H.)

That was by far the WORST start I had in the whole tournament. Spiritomb, 5 Energys and Wager. So I used all my Wager Skillz, drew my cards (3), and still got nothing. Fortunately, her Claydols were prized, so she couldn't do that much either. After 3-4 turns I finally got Rosi, build everything up and destroyed her.

6-0

7. Round vs. LuxChomp (Kevin d. M.)

Long Story short: He played SP without Mewtwo Counter.

7-0

Top8 vs. Gyarados (Yasmin K.)

Ugh... I knew she was insanely good with Gyara and how I have to rely on GOOD, or at least, SOLID starts. I got a 'Tomb, but a lot was prized (including 2 Mimes). After I grabbed Claydol with 'Tomb, she dropped Mesprit, does Regimove, played SSU: heads. Next Turn the same thing happend and I got power locked for 3 turns, which means I had to sacrifice 3 prizes. I got a Gengar by Turn 12851925, shuffled her 'Dos away via Dusk and drew 2 prizes via Shadow Skipping to Tomb. Unfortunately, she had Luxray LV.X, Rescue and 'Dos in hand to win.

0-1

The game went exactly the same, with the only difference that I only had to sacrifice 4 Prize Cards (and got power locked for 3 turns in a row again). I played Wager, shuffled her 'Dos away and KO'd a pixie. After Compound Pain for 3 Prizes, she conceded.

1-1

10 Minutes left before timeout... and I went first with Azelf, she had Unown Q active w/ Magikarp benched. I attached and KO'd it. She got setup as quickly as always, tho I got Mime out and stalled a little. Some Regimove shenanigan later she used Impersonate for Luxray LV.X (Bebe). I draw and time is called. I knew I have to win NOW, otherwise she'd do 110 to anything. I looked through my hand and remembered Gengar SF and how it COULD EVENTUALLY do some damage. I played Bebe, Candy Gengar and used Cosmic. I hit a Warp Point and though: "How am I supposed to KO a Gyara?". Luckly, she had no Warp Energy in Hand and ended up sending Luxray GL to the active spot. I threw my glasses away and said: "Poltergeist!". She showed me her hand... and had 3 T/S/S in hand ftl! It was an incredible feeling and she wished me luck for the Top4.

2-1
8-0

Top4 vs. LuxChomp (Simon E.)

Wasn't really exciting... I couldn't get setup aaall day and he got Dialga LV.X out in no time... I missed every important energy drop and got destroyed.

0-1

No difference at all.

0-2
8-1

Meh, I lost. However, I felt quite happy meeting a lot of people and winning about 100 points. :D Hope to see ya all in Hawaii!

~Volt

Last edited:
2. Round vs. CurseGar (Some danish guy)

I was waaaay faster than he was. After he filled his bench I decided to lock him up with Azelf. He didn't play Warp Energy, so he scooped.

2-0

I just wanted to let you know that this couldn't have been a danish guy, because beeing one of the danish group I know none of us played this deck.

Just to get the info right.

Good job on going third!

Oh, really? Seems like my memory is slowly falling apart.

Nice job getting 3rd, however I do have a few quick questions for you. What were you locking up with Azelf? Wouldn't whatever you locked up eventually get KO'd from Lock Up? Or did they have Queen in play? Also with no Warp Energy did you feel worried about getting chatter locked against SP or something similar? I noticed no Uxie as well, I guess you felt it wasn't needed? It also seems that based on what you wrote that if SP played Dialga or if Gyarados played Luxray you start to have issues with it. I will say that Mesprit in Gyarados is a little interesting, but flipping 2 heads in a row as you state to keep you locked is a little bit amazing IMO. That's not easy to do. I just was wondering on that stuff.

Congrats again and I hope to see you in Hawaii as I will be there,

Drew

Nice job getting 3rd, however I do have a few quick questions for you. What were you locking up with Azelf? Wouldn't whatever you locked up eventually get KO'd from Lock Up? Or did they have Queen in play? Also with no Warp Energy did you feel worried about getting chatter locked against SP or something similar? I noticed no Uxie as well, I guess you felt it wasn't needed? It also seems that based on what you wrote that if SP played Dialga or if Gyarados played Luxray you start to have issues with it. I will say that Mesprit in Gyarados is a little interesting, but flipping 2 heads in a row as you state to keep you locked is a little bit amazing IMO. That's not easy to do. I just was wondering on that stuff.

Congrats again and I hope to see you in Hawaii as I will be there,

Drew

I locked their Tombs with Azelf. As I explained: "(2x Curse removing damage from 'Tomb)" is just like Chatter Lock, they won't get damage and therefore can't die. I 'm playing that 1 Unown G to Guard my Tomb if someone's trying to chatter lock me, so I wasn't worried at all. Uxie is so not needed in here, I started testing without it and it worked perfectly. Yeah, Luxray and Dialga can cause a lot of trouble, tho Dialga is easier to manage then Luxray. Wager is really helpful against those Matchups as well. And yes, I nearly went agro at the very moment she flipped the 2nd time heads >_>

Oh, and thx @all.

Good Job, BeNelux cup seems as a very awesome tourny to play, i wish i could step in there, Great article man, hope you get your invite and show your skills at worlds
Props=P

I had once, in testing, a Tomb start w/ 5 Psy and Luxury Ball.

I dropped it and never considered it again lol.

your list looks really inconsistent. 3 TGW seems unnec., and they are so hindering to use early game. only 3 roseanne when you have 4 spiritomb seems really unwise- especially when you have so many tech basics and only 3 gastly (which is similarly a misplay to me). no uxie either.

no luxury ball is a huge misplay, and trying to justify that misplay from one bad game is called availability heuristic and hindsight bias. you're using all sorts of biases and fallacies to justify not playing one of the single best cards in the game.

you only start with spiritomb 40% of the time- and luxury ball can be used any time during the game.

I missed every important energy drop and got destroyed.
do you think your top four match would have gone a bit differently if you played the 4th roseanne's or the luxury ball or an uxie?

--
deck criticism aside, good job and you picked good techs for the metagame. i think if you used a more consistent list and didn't draw so dead in top 4 you could have, like you said, probably taken the whole thing. good work :thumb:

Last edited:
Back