Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Let's speculate about the rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true, unless they rotate HGSS promos too. Take a peek at HGSS03.
Pikachu has +10 weakness.

Interesting. I have not even seen any of the HGSS promos (I didn't even know about them until your post actually).

Research Tower needs to add these.

We'll probably find out in about a month officially, but my best guess is Platinum-on. We'll see what happens, though. This one is probably one of the more unpredictable years!

Like Noah said we will find out in a month to 2 months. If i remember the rotation was announced a few weeks before natz

Well, as they're making a very deep cut in all likelihood (remember, there was no rotation last year), I can see 3 main possibilities so far:

PL-On still makes the most sense to me and I think has the best chance of occuring; I dislike the RR-On concept just because in concept, it sounds so stupid to break up the SP block of cards with weird ideas like RR-On. Even if their focus could potentially be on making the newer (and mostly lame) HGSS cards better, you don't destroy your older block's foundation of support and basically tell everyone not to use anything older than AR. In addition, you would be keeping 4 older sets plus HGSS and UL going into the next format, which is about consistent with what the past cuts have been.

That being said, AR-On makes the "sense" in ways after PL-On; aside from a very few scattered SP Pokemon that no one uses, the set contains no SP support Trainers/Supporters, cuts out all the main SP cards, and basically leaves the regular old stuff, along with Arceus cards no one can really get to be competitive anyways. 4 sets after Worlds would be less than what's traditionally occurred though, and then since HGSS is in all likelihood to be the format the rotation after this, it'd be odd cutting 1 set then.

Finally, there's HGSS; least likely I think to happen, but would easily be the more dramatic option. You'd be down to a mere 2 (3 after Worlds) sets, so everyone would be forced into using the by-and-large bad Supporters except for the few new good ones and any old reprints out there. But hey, everyone would be on a more even footing in ways; decks would all be slower for sure, no one could really claim to have the best support cards since a lot of the options are bad, and in ways would definitely force more luck out of the game.

lol LA-on would probably be the worst format possible of all choices they could make.

I'm seriously expecting PL-on because of block rotation. Personally I'd prefer RR-on but I don't think they'll do that.

How would LA on be the worst possible format??

If anything it makes more sense than PL on because then there would be something to give sp's a run for their money. Without things like Machamp, mewtwo, and to a lesser extent gengar, then sp's would run wild.

Uxie and Azelf make SPs so much stronger, it's scary. Try playing your 3-1 Luxray or your 2-2 Garchomp without an Azelf or Uxie in your deck, and you'll see how much stronger SP decks truly are with them.

The worst possible format would be anything that kept SF while losing Unown G.

Uxie and Azelf make SPs so much stronger, it's scary. Try playing your 3-1 Luxray or your 2-2 Garchomp without an Azelf or Uxie in your deck, and you'll see how much stronger SP decks truly are with them.

That's interesting, and I realize so true. SP's absolutely depend on their Level X, whereas a Stage 2 deck can still be effective without it. Azelf Time Walk will be missed.

That means even with PL-on and the SP engine in full force, they've lost significant protection, speed, and consistency with Unown G, Uxie, and Azelf getting rotated. Now I can't think of a reason why it won't be PL-on.

Run a stage 2 deck without Uxie and claydol and you will realise how good Luxchomp still is without uxie and azelf.

I'm now comfortable with a pl-on format, have 2 luxray x and a ton of new ideas for next season, but I won't lie, I'd still like to see the format reset with a pure HGSS on format...

Why is it that almost once/week there's a new thread about predicting the rotation? In each of these threads you have the same answers. I've seen anything from GE-on to HGSS-on.

My thoughts on some of the predictions that I've seen.

GE-on: Odds are that Pokemon will adopt a HGSS-on format after the 2011 Worlds (Quite like they did with DP-on after the 2007 Worlds). To accomplish that, they need to cut out about half of the DP sets. I know everyone is scared to lose Claydol and Unown G, but it's necessary to keep the game progressing.

SF-on: This is a possible option for the rotation. In this format they will have cut out 6 of the 11 DP sets, setting up quite nicely for a HGSS-on format the following season. The advantage of this is that Machamp and Gengar from SF help keep SP in check, but the disadvantage is that without Unown G, those cards could be devastating.

PT-on: This is probably the most likely format for 2010-11. This would involve rotating out 7 sets, which is a solid number over a 2 year period. Lets not forget that there was no rotation last year, so the amount of sets rotated needs to be higher. Doing this rotation would also leave only 4 sets to be cut before Pokemon switches over to HGSS-on the following season, which is an ideal number of sets to be cut. This also marks the turning point where the game went from DP sets to DPPt sets. IMO this is the best format for next season

RR-on: With 4 new sets coming out each season, it makes some sense that they would cut 8 sets over a 2 year period. However, it wouldn't make sense to make a cut part way through the 3 sets of SP cards. As much as some of us would like to see LuxChomp gone forever, by cutting out Cyrus's, Poke-Turn, Energy Gain & Power Spray you essentially eliminate half of the RR and SV sets as well.

HGSS-on: A lot of people would like to see this, but unfortunately it is the most unrealistic. This would cause there to be only 3 sets for Fall Battle Roads, which is rediculous when trying to make a viable deck. Also, some sets (SV & AR) have only been around for one season. There would probably be a lot of angry players if they had spent money on sets that only lasted a few months!

These are just my thoughts, but if you're worried about buying cards that are soon going to be dropping in value, I wouldn't be buying anything before PT.

Why is it that almost once/week there's a new thread about predicting the rotation? In each of these threads you have the same answers. I've seen anything from GE-on to HGSS-on.

Cause my thread had a cool graphic attached to it. :thumb:

But your reasonings make a lot of sense...Platinum seems like the most viable option. I have been concentrating on keep valuable PL-on cards, but was worried all the great X's from PL and RR had a decent chance of rotating.

I can't see how Lost Link cards would be useful without the Lost Zone using cards in Platinum. Why remove the key pieces of that mechanic if we're going to get cards that will utilize it?

If it were HGSS on, there wouldn't be a lot of variety card-wise, drawing from three sets, but you can be sure there will be loads of deck variety. It makes rogue decks more dangerous, and with a new style playing field with how the cards are all formatted, gives a lottt of cards the chance to succeed, which in turn means a larger variety of decks that are viable. Although, many people will obviously overhype a certain few decks and everyone will run those and consider them the best, but tons of strange, interesting decks would spring up, and everything will be competitive.

Jumpluff and Ninetales based Fire come to mind, as does Gatr Prime/Blastoise/Water. Don't forget about Donphan either. Also, Amphy/Raichu could find its way to becomming popular. The thing here, is they all counter each other. Everything is weak to something, so no single one of these decks will end up being the 'luxchomp' of the bunch, and many other more balanced 'rogue' decks will have a fighting chance.

That's where you're wrong, in a HGSS-On format Fire would be dead and there would be no reason to run Ninetales HGSS for Roast Reveal unless If you were running Ursaring Prime with Typhlosion Prime which is also a so-so deck unlike Charizard AR which is the backbone to current Fire builds right now. Charizard AR is the bread and butter of Fire decks, why take that away so soon?

The main deck I'd see being competitive in that format would be Gatr Rain Dance variants, Jumpluff will probably still be around especially Entei/Raikou LEGEND based decks until we get Gengar Prime and Lost World, then THAT's going to warp the U.S. metagame much like it already did in Japan.

Considering that Japan has already started their next Season Modified Rotation's currently being Platinum-On I wouldn't be surprised If U.S. does the following as well. Why wouldn't they? It's been DP-On for both the U.S. and Japan for 2 Seasons.

PT-on maintains Luxray GL LvX as a format defining card with high prices too. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? In particular if Luxray GL LvX is a dominant card then how do you make the game open to newer players?

So perhaps Luxray GL Lv X is equivalent to the Holon Engine of yore, meaning if you don't have it in your deck, you can't win.

If POP is facing that question, and if Platinum-on would be the next "natural" rotation, I could see them making a case for RR-on if Luxray were in Platinum. But would POP cut 2 more sets (PL, RR at least) just to get this one card out of play? Seems like a much harder case to make.

It's not Luxray that's the problem with the SP engine. It's Cyrus' Conspiracy. If that one card is taken out of the format, SP decks become a LOT less powerful. They no longer have instant access to whatever Trainer they need in any given situation, so they have to deal with the "standard" type of build. Given how bulky the rest of the SP Trainers can be without a reliable way to search for them, SP decks become around as powerful as regular decks without Cyrus around.

Also, with the loss of Azelf especially, SPs can no longer play the odds the way they've been doing. Decks will have to be built far more consistently and efficiently than they have been built recently. For a classically conceived setup or speed deck, this isn't really a problem, because they tend to overload on the essentials in the initial builds and TecH out only a few cards. SP decks, OTOH, are nothing BUT TecH. With 3-1 and 2-2 being the only possible way to run an SP deck, they become less consistent than their more classically built cousins.

Simply by losing Cyrus and Azelf, SP decks become no more powerful than any other classically built speed or setup deck.

I'd like to see a cut to PT-on with a specific card ban on Cyrus' Conspiracy. But I know that would never happen. RR-on would be ideal from my perspective as a classically inspired deckbuilder, but it would make little sense from a Block perspective.

My thought is that PT-on will be the next format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back