Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cheap(er) Packs at Wal-Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, they don't have to. Wal-mart doesn't sell the cards. They lease shelf space to an outside vendor. It is the vendor that sets the price at which they sell. Wal-mart make nothing from selling the cards. They make their money from leasing the shelf space.
So that kinda ruins the whole "Wal-Mart is ruining Mom n' Pop game stores" argument, doesn't it?

Even though, I think Nintendo does it with its electronic games. They are the same price at any store. If I am right?

It's not the same thing. What they do is recommend a general price that they think most places should use, and most places just happen to use that price. They don't have to though.

No offense ...I thought this was about cheaper cards not wal-mart bashing . Wal-mart employs 100,000 plus employees that help keep familes off both welfare and the streets , and before anyone starts I do support my local card shop and I'm not conserative /liberal / tea partyer if there is such a word .

Yeah, because America sure isn't about free trade/business. If Walmart wants to sell packs at a certain price, it's perfectly fine. In this economy, anyone willing to sell cheaper is going to get my business. I love my local card shop, but times are tough and if I'm going to spend money on something, then I'll spend as little as possible. It's not disrespectful, it's responsible (with your money).

Luckily, my local card shop is great with pricing ($2.99 at times), so I still get my boosters from there, however I didn't pass up buying a few packs at $3.33 the other night at Wally World.

That's exactly how I feel. There are pretty much no gaming stores where I live, because it really isn't all that popular. The one I go to leagues for sells packs for 4$-5$ each, which isn't to bad, but still above the wal-mart prices.

The only thing I like about gaming stores over wal-mart is that they sell boxes, which are pretty much the cheapest way to buy cards.

They probably buy them directly from PUI

usually PUI sells the careds to a supplier, then the supplier, then supplier sells them to retailers

basically they cut out the middle man

Does anyone know what the supplies get them for? One of my local shops is now selling UL boxes for $79. How much lower could they possably go while still making a profit?

Technically, they have to. Lowest price is guaranteed, after all. :thumb:

Shops that price match only do for advertised prices. And unfortunatly most card/comic shops don't advertise.

Does anyone know what the supplies get them for? One of my local shops is now selling UL boxes for $79. How much lower could they possably go while still making a profit?
In the past, I've heard PTO's say their cost is somewhere in the $50's - back in the days when they had to either return excess product from premier events or pay for it.

Reseller costs probably vary. I'm guessing Walmart's cost is different than distributors and small shops.

In the past, I've heard PTO's say their cost is somewhere in the $50's - back in the days when they had to either return excess product from premier events or pay for it.
this is incorrect, and *much* lower than our cost.

'mom

Is there a special reason behind this price-cut? I knew Wal-mart was doing Rollbacks, but Rollbacks on Pokemon Boosters??
This is awesome....

Boy, now that I am a shop owner I feel like such a tool saying this, but I have professed it for years.

If you want a great place to play, support the cards shop that IS the great place to play.
I saw on Gallery that a great place to play is called Restaurant in America, do you buy cards in a restaurant ?

Until Walmart starts carrying booster boxes and card accessories mom n pop shops have nothing to fear.

Back on topic, cheaper packs are fine but I would like it better if they would lower prices on blister packs as well. I hate paying $10 for just 1 card. :frown:

this is incorrect, and *much* lower than our cost.

'mom
We'll, about 5-6 years ago, I bought booster boxes from two different organizers for $60 each. At the time they said that barely covered their cost. So, are you saying that $60 was *much* higher than your cost?

Why are we talking about TO boxes again?

Meh, anyway, Toxictaipan's post bugs me. It's a false argument, going from this particular situation to a general conclusion that's been proven false over time. Wal-Mart does ruin mom & pop stores. We just don't know about the effect of this particular move yet.

As for $$ ... well I think we all want the cheapest packs, boxes, and such possible.

I went to one of m Wal-marts and had several packs (even ones that were racked for 3.98) were sold at 3.33. Said the receipt after purchases were completed.

Why not just do a "fake" price match? I know at our walmart, they rarely confirm anything you want to price match, helps when you need to get cheaper soda instead of paying a ridiculous $1.69 when they're not on sale or whatever.

We'll, about 5-6 years ago, I bought booster boxes from two different organizers for $60 each. At the time they said that barely covered their cost. So, are you saying that $60 was *much* higher than your cost?

Steve....

if you bought boxes at $60 thats a serious problem. just to be clear, even 5-6 years ago, that was and is much lower than our cost from PUI and much, much lower than any distributor i am currently dealing with.

the organizer who sold them to you has done much worse than what the big box stores are currently doing. mom and pop stores have enough competition, now your telling me we are also competing with the very people in charge of growing player bases in our stores?

think about it... somethings not right here.....

Jimmy

Last edited:
Not to take this much more off topic, but Steve, I have two problems with what you're saying.
One, as noted by other PTOs, the price you're throwing around is much lower than current costs.
What they were 5-6 years ago, I have no idea.
However, whatever they were, that was 5-6 years ago. What is the relevance to today?

Second, can we discuss your gross annual income?
What was it 5 years ago?
What is it today?
Can we get into your mortgage or rental costs?
How much do you pay for your car?

Do these questions seem inappropriate?
Well, discussing in public what others have to pay for things to run their business is equally so.
Tossing out numbers that are incredibly lower than what they actually are is even worse because it can lead to players doing mental calculations that generally include the expectation that PTOs and TOs should run their businesses at cost or even at a loss.

Please stop guessing at this number. It's harmful.

Let me just say this once. Being In Nova Scotia Sucks. Not really,but at Wal-Mart, the packs are 6.73 or something! Can't remember Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back