Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The New Claydol? Discuss

I still do not like to use Claydol (lets not get onto that topic). All I am saying is that maybe we are not suppose to rely on Poke-Powers to draw cards and TPCi is trying to make us realize that. That is all that I am saying. But, we will just have to wait and see what happens.
I do agree that the draw power helps but i just like finding different ways of doing things, and the new format will just be a time for me to experiment.

As of now, it looks like Uxie Level X and Dusknoir Sf will be the solution to ourno Claydol crisis.
Once again, you disprove your own point. If we were meant to steer away from using pokemon as a draw engine, why would they leave two big ones behind, and have one in waiting? Seems like they just want us to use something other than claydol.

Once again, you disprove your own point. If we were meant to steer away from using pokemon as a draw engine, why would they leave two big ones behind, and have one in waiting? Seems like they just want us to use something other than claydol.

I am just really contradicting today.
I geuss you are right. Maybe a Claydol Prime then!! The next format will be interesting I will just say that.

I still do not like to use Claydol (lets not get onto that topic). All I am saying is that maybe we are not suppose to rely on Poke-Powers to draw cards and TPCi is trying to make us realize that. That is all that I am saying. But, we will just have to wait and see what happens.
I do agree that the draw power helps but i just like finding different ways of doing things, and the new format will just be a time for me to experiment.

As of now, it looks like Uxie Level X and Dusknoir Sf will be the solution to ourno Claydol crisis.

Now this isn't necessarily true, remember good old Pidgeot from FR/LG? In fact, the only times the format hasn't relied heavily on a draw Pokemon is when there was a particularly powerful draw engine from Trainers that could be made, such as Holon or Castaway to a weaker extent.

Also, why aren't people mentioning Hunter alongside Uxie? That's where the real engine is. And it'll more than likely be coming out before cities. But there's also the problem mentioned with magnezone's power, it'll still want you to draw until you have 7, no more. Once again Regice pops to mind.

A lot of people are talking about Hunter as if it is basically just a Poke-turn for non-SPs. Let's not forget your opponent gets to return a Benched Pokemon to their hand also. Are you really going to want to play a Hunter when they have a heavily damaged Pokemon that they just retreated to the Bench, or when they have a Crobat G (or any other variety of "come into play Poke-Power Pokemon) sitting on the Bench?

Don't get me wrong, I think Hunter will be a very interesting card that will see a lot of play. But I also think it will have a variety of uses and will often have the chance of back-firing on you if you don't think out the situation very carefully before palying it.

A lot of people are talking about Hunter as if it is basically just a Poke-turn for non-SPs. Let's not forget your opponent gets to return a Benched Pokemon to their hand also. Are you really going to want to play a Hunter when they have a heavily damaged Pokemon that they just retreated to the Bench, or when they have a Crobat G (or any other variety of "come into play Poke-Power Pokemon) sitting on the Bench?

Don't get me wrong, I think Hunter will be a very interesting card that will see a lot of play. But I also think it will have a variety of uses and will often have the chance of back-firing on you if you don't think out the situation very carefully before palying it.
So don't make a bad play with hunter? Imagine that. Obviously. And it's more than likely going to be used early on in the game.

there wont be a new claydol, people will just have to play 2-1 or 3-1 uxie and suck it up, we didnt always have mad draw power like this, and im honestly happy to see claydol go.

I just came back to the game from a long hiatus but just skimming the cards Staraptor FB lv.x has potential... essentially a stage 1 that can search out draw, the only thing is that it's easily bright looked and one shotted.

I just came back to the game from a long hiatus but just skimming the cards Staraptor FB lv.x has potential... essentially a stage 1 that can search out draw, the only thing is that it's easily bright looked and one shotted.

It is actually a Basic pokemon, just to let you know.

there wont be a new claydol, people will just have to play 2-1 or 3-1 uxie and suck it up, we didnt always have mad draw power like this, and im honestly happy to see claydol go.
I dont think you understand what we mean by new claydol... we mean a pokemon draw engine, which uxie X, as you suggested, would suffice.

It is actually a Basic pokemon, just to let you know.
Yes, he knows, notice the "essentially" part of his post.

a they will make a claydol prime which it will do more or less the same thing

or b we will have 2 use uxie level x

There is no new Claydol.

Claydol had a unique and brilliant Power. It was good enough to justify giving 4-6 spaces in your deck to a low HP, high Retreat Stage 1 with a bad attack. None of the alternatives people are suggesting (Staraptor/Dusknoir/Magnezone/Dodrio/whatever) are remotely good enough for that. A bad Claydol replacement is NOT better than nothing.

The exception is Uxie X as that's just 1 (pretty good) card, and every deck runs the Basic anyway.

What I'm saying is that people will be better off . . .

1. Thinking about what decks can run without Claydol
2. Thinking about Trainer/Supporter engines

I think that supporter engine will be common though early in the season people will try out Staraptor FB X (with level maxes for consistency) and it will be sorta lackluster.

Another one will probably be Porygon-Z (Either Learning or a new one)+ the X with a few draw supporters... the supporter issue isn't as dire when you can get 2 cards that are exactly what you want each turn. I think it will also fail, however, because even though it looks good on paper, for the same reasons Kayle listed for Magnezone it will be difficult to get out. Also, the good Porygon2 which might have made it viable will be dead, and who knows what terrible 2x weakness one will get released to replace it.

Magnezone, naw, I really doubt that this will see play. The retreat cost alone will make it a target... if Crobat becomes as popular as everyone says, that + reversal ALONE will stop Magnezone from ever getting popular. If it had a cheap, colorless, GOOD attack maaaaaaybe it could survive but the fact is it's just a sitting duck that's hard to get out.

I think it'll end up being an Uxie/Uxie X based engine (probably 2-1) because with trade off, set up, and a decent attack, as well as the colorless costs and the fact that it's basically the same amount of effort to get out as Claydol (1 basic + a card to put on top), it will be a decent attacker with a non-painful amout of setup.

Except for SP, who's deck barely changes, and is currently dominating the format.

I think you can make an arguement (many will disagree with me), that it is not Cyrus that is making SP dominant, it is the combo of Poke-Turn, Energy Gain, Luxray GL X and Garchomp C X. Yes, Cyrus helps them work very well in a deck, but I think the deck could still do quite well without Cyrus, whereas if you took out 1 or 2 of the other four cards, it would really impact on the effectiveness of SP.

What Porygon and Porygon2 are you using again? :p

I'm not arguing FOR porygon-z, I'm arguing against it. I even made a note they will be rotated out - more likely than not they'll make new ones soon (both are gen-1 and 2 which goes with the whole Heartgold Soulsilver theme) but given the HS-series cards I've seen so far they will be terrible.

There is no new Claydol.

Claydol had a unique and brilliant Power. It was good enough to justify giving 4-6 spaces in your deck to a low HP, high Retreat Stage 1 with a bad attack. None of the alternatives people are suggesting (Staraptor/Dusknoir/Magnezone/Dodrio/whatever) are remotely good enough for that. A bad Claydol replacement is NOT better than nothing.

The exception is Uxie X as that's just 1 (pretty good) card, and every deck runs the Basic anyway.

What I'm saying is that people will be better off . . .

1. Thinking about what decks can run without Claydol
2. Thinking about Trainer/Supporter engines
You do understand we're talking about alternatives to claydol, right? And that Uxie X is an example of one?

I think you can make an arguement (many will disagree with me), that it is not Cyrus that is making SP dominant, it is the combo of Poke-Turn, Energy Gain, Luxray GL X and Garchomp C X. Yes, Cyrus helps them work very well in a deck, but I think the deck could still do quite well without Cyrus, whereas if you took out 1 or 2 of the other four cards, it would really impact on the effectiveness of SP.
I never said anything about that, at all. You said sure it'll make our decks less consistent, but everyone will have that. But SP is consistent enough to contend with current archetypes that have claydol, and will absolutely stomp them when they dont have it, and when they've lost nothing.

All I can say is, new players are spoiled. This old vet remembers running supporters only for draw and it worked just fine.

Does anyone have an idea what to do with decks like Kingdra that run a strong line of Clyadol even pluff does...
Are we all just going to run 4 uxie's and hope our hands can get free?

Personally i like Dodrio SV its a stage 1 free retreat is nice and can attack with a DCE+CE for 50 dmg and has 80 HP
Falls i little short to k.o ChompC but with a crobat G it does the job

can i get some opinions on this for jumpluff/kingdra decks that run low Energy anyways

All I can say is, new players are spoiled. This old vet remembers running supporters only for draw and it worked just fine.
Or "new" players are naturally concerned about how to combat the apparently dominating archetype of the format from the rotation. The same archetype of which currently has more wins than other decks that are using claydol. So if wanting more support for other archetypes, so they can combat a single archetype is spoiled, then you hit it right on the money.

The format has clearly changed in speed from what it used to be. Relying solely on supporters isn't viable, we don't have scott anymore. So instead of people being spoiled, the truth is that the format has actually shifted in speed from back then. You're taking things way out of context, and there are certainly too many variables to compare correctly. You might as well be talking about a different game.

Back