Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 64 with Luxchomp/ERL ~ Seniors

cmak37

I feel like I had a rather successful Nats for my first year of competitive play. I had a great time, and I loved the location.

We get there, and I lend a Luxray X to Erik Nance who ends up getting 2nd in Masters. Congrats Erik!!!!!!! I meet up with Ben and Zak and playtest a lot. I beat the mirror 4/5 games, and I was confident in that matchup. Too bad I only played one mirror all Nats long, and I got donked. =/

Round 1 - Bye. I won two States, I wish they stacked haha.

1-0

Round 2 - BLG with Mewtwto and ERL - I have a great opening hand going second, the only problem is the only basic I have is Unown Q. Ugh. He opens with Luxray GL and DCE. I hate donks.

1-1

Round 3 - ERL/Manectric - This deck was actual really interesting. She had a really solid list from what it looked like, but it just couldn't stand up to Luxchomp. All I did was snipe her Electrikes before she could get a Manny out. That way, she could never Thunder Fall without giving me the game. I 6-0 her.

2-1

Round 4 - The dumbest deck ever created, some random deck with at least a 2-2 Mewtwo, Sableye, and Mesprit (States Winner SOMEHOW) - This is the matchup that I was incredibly thankful for running Mismagius. He opens with Sableye, and I think I open with Luxray? He Mesprits T1, and Impersonates for a Collector, grabbing 2 Mewtwos, and another Mesprit. This is where I know it's gonna be a long game. My turn, I do some stuff, grab my Misdreavus and get ready to snipe a Mewtwo off the bench next turn. He goes, and I think uses Energy Absortion. I go, get Missy out, and I think try and grab cheap prizes for a while until I can get 3 tools in play. He levels up his Mewtwo. I finally get 2 Gains and my Q out, and kill his active Mewtwo. He flips 2/3 heads on a TSD and grabs a 1-1 Mewtwo, benches it and maybe uses Level Max? I don't remember how, but he got another Mewtwo out. I had retreated my Missy trying to save it and get energy attached so I can use Horror Chant, because I have 3 Turns and an Aaron's in hand, so I was going to sac my benched Bat, Aaron's it back and then quadruple bite and Horror Chant for game. But then he goes, plays Reversal, (WHAT THE HECK.) heads, and kills my benched Missy. That was the end of that game for me. I drew 5 prizes. =/

2-2

Round 5 - Random noobish Kingdra/Water Pokemon deck - Incredibly easy matchup for me. I sweep the poor kid. =/

3-2

Round 6 - Kingdra/Champ/Blaze FB tech? - Again, a rather easy matchup for me. I was glad to be getting some rather easy wins instead of donks and Mewtwo walls.

4-2

Round 7 GeChamp - This was an extremely close game for me, because I play no Unown G. xP I kill his Machamp with Uxie X, then he at one point gets it back with Night Maintenance. He's got 3 Prizes left, and I have 4 left. If it weren't for ERL, I would NOT have won this game. His bench: Claydol, Claydol, Uxie, Uxie. I bench ERL and Galactic Switch, attach, and Thunder Fall for game. =D

5-2

So far a pretty decent day 1. Ben and I meet Amt and find out she's a pretty cool person. We chill with her for a bit, then prepare for day 2.

Round 8 - Luxpluff (2nd Place Regionals) - This game is pretty fuzzy to me, all I know is I had ERL out at the end of the game ready to blow everything up to go to SD. Instead, I Detonation Swirl his last Pluff to leave me with 2 Prizes left to his 1. He sends up Uxie trying to stall for a bit, and has a Luxray GL becnhed with a Multi attached. His topdeck: WARP POINT RAAAAAAAAAAAGE. Warp, sends up Lux, attaches, kills my Bat for game.

5-3

At this point I'm pretty bummed, knowing I HAVE to win this game to make TC.

Round 9 - Luxpluff (States Winner?) - I get ERL out reeaaaaally early, and Detonation Swirl his active Luxray GL for my first prize. He goes, and I think whiffs on the NRG. My turn, Thunder fall for 4 prizes, giving him 2. I have 1 Prize left, and he has 4. He goes, attaches the NRG, Belts his pluff, and fills his bench with a lotta random Hoppips trying to get more damage. I only have 3 Pokemon in play on my side of the field. He has 6 in play, and my ERL has full HP. He somehow TRIPLE flash bites, and kills my ERL for 2 Prizes. I wasn't worried tho, because he didn't Judge me. Therefore I go, promote Lux, Level up, Bright Look his Hoppip, attach, Gain, Bite. GG.

6-3

I make top cut as 58th seed? Either way, I was happy I made TC!!!!!!!! That's all I wanted to do. =D

Top 64 - Gardy/Gallade/Dusknoir (Regionals Winner)

Game 1 - This game was a really good match, and I think at the end I had 2 prizes left to his 3. I grab both haves of ERL, and Thunder Fall for GAME.

1-0

Game 2 - I didn't draw a SINGLE supporter allllllll game long. I probably should have scooped soooooo much sooner.

1-1

Game 3 - He kept judging me into pretty awful hands, and I finally managed to get a Uxie X out with a DCE. The prizes are still 6-6, and I hit his active belted Gardy X for 120. I thought that was a decent play, because I had Luxray and Garchomp both benched, and a DCE in hand which means I could've gotten the extra 30 I needed for the KO. His turn, and time is called. =( All he needs to do is take a prize, so he simply Psy Locks my Uxie X for the KO. =( I probably could've won that game if I had more time. Oh well.

1-2

To the guy I played against in T64, your list was SUPERB from what I saw. You were a top notch player, and I had a pleasure playing you.

So I get my 9 packs and a Giratina hat!!!!! xDDDDDD

Props

Jesus!
My parents!
Ben for going 9-2!
Zak
Amt
Luxray
Garchomp
ERL
Erik for coming in 2nd!!!!!!!
Jon
Mike

Slops

Losing in T64
Having to resleeve into awful Giratina Sleeves in T64.
Zak not doing too well
Mike not doing too well
Donks
Mewtwo Walls

Overall, it was a GREAT weekend and I had a lot of fun. Can't wait for Masters next year!

Nice job making top cut your first year. Good deck choice. Sucks that you had to lose on time, tho.

Back