Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I'm convinced that "Good Cards" are Shortprinted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancun

For those unfamilar with the term "short-printing", it essentially means really good, playable cards that aren't holo or the like, but seem to be printed in much fewer quantities so as to artificially spike demand and prices. I'm talking cards like Cyrus' Conspiracy, Call Energy, Poke-Turn, etc. I bought 10 packs of Platinum and didn't get ANY Cyrus or Poke Turn, which is absolutely bad (and why I'm going to be just buying singles from now on.) It seems to be the trend with Call Energy as well, but I'm willing to accept that my ratio is smaller. Still, does this seem to be the case with other pack-buyers as well? Good uncommons being nigh-impossible to pull?

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering I pulled two or three Call Energy in the first set of packs I ever bought, I'm not so sure I agree with you.

but from pl there is also energy gain, broken time space, power spray, lookers, pokemon resuce, and the others. did you pull them?

I don't know, I have enough Cyrus and Poke Turn and all that. For me it's never been a problem pulling the 'good' uncommons, it's pulling foil versions of them, heh.

I literally didn't pull anything good from the uncommon section of any pack (mind you, I DID pull two Rev Energy Gains and two rev Lookers, but I didn't care whether they were Reverse or not, I need more Cyrus/Turns. I have enough of the rest of the SP Engine.)

10 packs is nowhere near a big enough sample to say something is short printed. For all you know, the other 16 packs in that box could have had a bunch of Cyrus and Poke Turn in them.

Buying a few random packs is a really, really bad way of trying to get specific cards from a set.

i partially agree but you can never know seriously other people might just get good booster pulls like i bought a box and pulled godly
and my friend bought a box and pulled like 1 dce 1 tomb and i pulled 3 tomb 1 rev 4 dce 1 rev so you can never really tell but sometimes it does seem like their are alot less of the better ones running around SOMETIMES! lol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this an issue at one point in the Pokemon TCG's history? I remember someone telling me that Rare Candy in Sandstorm was terribly hard to pull (even though it was just an Uncommon). Honestly, in the time since I've started playing, I haven't seen much of a problem with short-printing.

I'm convinced that it's impossible to pull a Luxray lv x. My group has pulled 3 Hippowdon, 3 Infernape, 2 Gallade, 2 Snorlax, 1 Mismagious, 0 Flygon, and 0 Luxray out of a lot of random RR packs.

While ten packs isn't nearly enough to judge it on, I agree, what I failed to mention was that I've invested into several Platinum packs over a long span of time, equating to about two dozen. Add that to my ten packs and you have nearly a box-sized grouping of cards that I didn't pull one of these two UNCOMMON CARDS. My luck may just be that bad, but even I tend to question that kind of numbering.

The thing is, your packs didn't come from one box. Buying odd packs here and there is not the same thing . . . you are hoping that your pack has what you need every time, whereas with a box, you will likely get a decent amount of each uncommon.

I won a couple of boxes of PL at States and I remember getting at least 3-4 of Cyrus and PokeTurn in a box. Put it this way: I haven't needed to buy/trade for any others.

This is a good example of why you don't invest in boosters if you're looking for singles of a needed card...

Going off my simple (and probably flawed) math, there's what, 20+ uncommons in a set (which is the targeted rarity of your mentioned cards), so you're looking at a 2 (# of uncommons)/20+ (number of total uncommons in a set) chance of any given pack of getting a card you want, 3/20+ if you want to add the reverse foil as a chance (though that'd be incorrect technically, as any card in a set besides stuff like Lv X can have a reverse foil, so that in itself is another 1/whatever size the set is chance on top of that). So realistically, you have likely under a percent of a chance of actually getting a card you want from a booster pack.

So yeah...why didn't you just buy the singles? Or heck, trade for them?

Or I suppose if you're into the whole conspiracy theory you can look into it more, but you'd need an overwhelmingly much larger sample (i.e, thousands for a rough number, probably millions to get a more accurate number) to run any sort of relevant statistical analysis.

I have more Call Energy than I know what to do with. I'll send you 4 if you never make a post like this again.

I will restate this: packs are inconsistent. Boxes are more consistent. The only trainers printed in low(er) quantity if I remember right were foil SS Candys (?) and reverse EXDragon TVReporters. Many think Holon Trancievers were too but I think the're bias.

I luckily uplled DGX from my booster box, but only pulled 2 poke turns. 1 was RH though! And I pulled 3 Cyrus' and some E-gains. And some... Ok, I pulled pretty much the entire SP Engine.

I will restate this: packs are inconsistent. Boxes are more consistent.

I think it's more that people don't care about the less-good rares and don't bother to count how many of them they get. Either that or just weird distrabutions. Take this for example: I bought two boxes of MD when it came out and I only got one Spearow (which was a common) total out of both boxes.

Look up the Economics terms "Supply" and "Demand".

I've never had any problems pulling good cards from packs. The problem is with trading for them, as most good players will never part with their staple cards.

Same supply, higher demand, higher prices or the perception of a lower supply when it doesn't exist.

Bullados got that right. I've been getting a booster box from pretty much every set since GE, and ALWAYS do I end up with playsets of EVERY trainer. Sometimes 4, Sometimes 5, Rarely 6.
Then, as far as rare Pokemon go...my HGSS box yielded 2 Jumpluff and Ninetales to 1 Quagsire...whereas my AR box had no Spiritombs. You win some, you lose some.

However, lets say there are 1000 Rare Candy and 1000 Bill. There are also 1000 players. Which card will be easier to obtain?

That was a giant mistake buying 10 packs and expecting to pull enough of a certain card to make you happy. The 30$ you dished out on 10 packs of useless cards probably could have gotten you 4x Turn, 4x Gain and a couple of Cyrus.

On a side-note I personally refuse to buy booster packs unless I'm buying them in a large lot under 2$ per pack. There is so much variability in every set dependent upon the amount of cards of each rarity. Singles are absolutely the best way to go if your not looking to spend a fortune on the game, I often get every card I need from new sets for 50-60$ which is still less than the cost of a booster box(which in some cases won't even net me what I need anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back