Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st Place (8-0) / Gyarados / Haltom City CC

Austino

Here in OK, we don't get as many events as some other states, so we decided to carpool on down to the heart of Texas to find some solid competition and possibly bring home some of the new City Championship swag. Thomas (seniors), Tyler, Seth, and I (masters) all drove down at 5:30 in the morning and got ready for a fun day of Pokemon! I'll post about my list at the end.

11-27-10
Haltom City, TX
Gyarados

Round 1: ??? - Eeveelutions
He started out by locking up my sableye for a while and I didn't have a warp energy, so we both got to fully set up before any big attacks went down. However, even with his Espeon MD, I was still able to OHKO everything. Rough game for him, but it's also a generally bad matchup for him as well, sorry man.

1-0

Round 2: Rokman.....wait, nope, repaired.....Andrew - Jumpluff/Sunflora
I'm not sure why, but I ended up flash biting an Unown Q 3 times to KO it when there was a hopip on the field with an energy on it. :nonono: I was slightly bothered with myself for missing this, but I ended up OHKOing the pluff the next turn and maintained control the rest of the game. He ended up BTS-ing into a pluff when he should have rare candied into into it and it ended up costing him later in the game. G'dos swinging for base 90 is rough for pluff, so this was another solid win.

2-0

Round 3: Rokman again....wait, nope, repaired AGAIN! lol....Pokedad - SP basket (honch, drifblim, honch sv)
We both start off strong trading prizes as he takes fast snipes. His honch SV and iirc, his Garchomp C end up being pretty powerful as I didn't hit a BTS until the last two turns of the game. We take it down to 1-1 when I was able to regimove his Drifblim FB out of the active to ohko any benched poke.

3-0

Round 4: Mike M - Gyarados
We run very similar lists, and this match ended up going further than it should have. He had the ability to T1 me, but misplayed and grabbed his regice instead of a 3rd magikarp not realizing he could junk arm the two into the discard. Luckily, he ended up 10 damage short of KOing me uxie and I proceeded to grab a sableye, ssu the uxie, and begin my set up that turn. Starting out from behind, I got set up and eventually pulled the prize lead back by hitting his G'dos w/ Rescue NRG for 120 then flash biting it the next turn. He didn't get a g'dos back out that turn so I took one more prize. At this point, I have what I need to stay in the game and hit a couple big SSU and OHKO his gyarados. I was under the assumption he was just having some recovery problems since there were a couple times he couldn't get G'dos back out. Either way, fun game and glad I didn't get donked!

4-0

Round 5: Adrian P - Luxchomp
Not gonna lie, I was nervous going into this round; he's 4-0 and playing luxchomp (w/ lucario). Fortunately, I start out very strong and I'm hitting T2 90. He OHKO's my g'dos, but rescue energy comes in very handy in this matchup and I end up being able to flash bit x2/tail revenge too many times and I take control since I'm not having to belt my G'dos. After his luxrays are gone, the garchomp wasn't doing much, but he still ended up bringing it to a close match thanks to snipes. Lack of drawing into power sprays really hurt him here. I have the feeling a well timed spray could've really changed the tide since I was relying on the flash bites (not wanting to belt).

5-0

Top 8: ??? - Wailord/Gatr

Game 1: We both set up well, but wailord's second attack doesn't do well unless he has more HP than the defending pokemon, and unfortunately for him, Gyarados attacks much quicker, so he only got to swallow up for 120 (belted) once for a KO, but the rest of the game was severely in G'dos' favor sinply out of attack speed.

Game 2: I go first with lone uxie again, he starts with lone wailord. I felt confident until he gets out wailord, Gatr, 2 uxies, and another wailmer T1 and ALMOST DONKS ME WITH WAILORD!!! He hit his second "Set Up" for 6 cards and luckily only hit two energy! Whew...I take my next turn and get out G'dos swinging for 60, which prevents his Swallow Up, so I'm pretty safe. I end up hitting some SSU throughout the game that frustrated him, but he played well, very little misplays on his part. Interesting deck choice and glad to see a rogue hitting top cut!

6-0 (7-0)

Top 4: Adrian P - Luxchomp
I was definitely dreading this matchup again, especially with only one more round to the finals.

Game 1: I explode with T2 90 taking 2-3 prizes as he sets up lux/luc for the OHKO. By that point I had the recovery and ohko the lux. He tries to portrait my 8 card hand twice to not see a supporter either time. I KO another luxray after he KO's my G'dos. After that, I had too much of a prize lead and iirc, he grabbed the wrong card from his prizes so we went to game 2.

Game 2: I start with lone magikarp and he says I can go 2nd! Unfortunately he flips over Garchomp C and DCE's it FTW!

Game 3: I go first with Sableye, Magikarp, and regice, impersonating Collector. He DCE/Expert Belt/Flash Bites my sableye for the KO T1. I promote karp, regimove two karps sending his lux to the bench, and collector for uxie, karp, crobat, flash biting his lux, dropping uxie, getting SSU, using it on regice, re-regimoving the luxray back up and my 3rd karp in the discard, and tail revenge for the KO on his belted luxray, leaving him with only crobat G in play. He nabs a collector and starts to set up, but I take another prize that turn and the 3 prize lead is too much for him, especially with only one more lux in his deck.

7-0 (9-1)

Top 2: Cameron H - DialgaChomp

Game 1: We both tank each other since deafens don't hut my supporter based set up and I end up only playing two collectors and 1 volkners the entire game. He manages to play all of his Cyrus within the first 4 turns as I continually tail revenge his DGX's w/ two special metals that he G-switch/turns each timeto continue the second strike to 2hko a G'dos (I ssu twice and had rescue energy on one). By the time his turns are out, he's attacking with garchomp C, healing his dialga G, and he takes another prize on me. He ends up getting a KO with flash bites, THEN deafens, so i'm kinda screwed, or so I thought. I ended up KO'ing his smeargle with flash bites to take my FIRST prize and grab Karp out of my discard and BTS to G'dos. At this point, I start to just regimove for prizes, but he's spraying it, so I brute it out and force KO's. We take it down to 2-3 my favor when I am forced to let him either deafen with his injured dgx that would get KO'd for my last two prizes, or KO my belted G'dos and hope I don't have the recovery. He knows he'll have to KO me, taking it down to 1-2 his favor, but I have the recovery and take my last two prizes.

Game 2: We both set up with him going for DGX early on again. Even though he had t2 Garch X to my lone Gyaraods (T1 garch c to my lone Karp was scary enough). Leary of remove lost, I don't drop my rescue energies unless I know he can't get rid of them (and ambi getting rid of them is just a prize for me, so I'm safe there). This game is almost a reversal of last game, with him not hitting supporters, but still playing a solid game the entire time. It comes down to 1-1 prizes after he sniped my Uxie, but I had the belt in my hand for the KO. GG, Cameron!

8-0 (11-1)

Great tournament, well ran! Glad to have come down for the event! As for my list, I'm not sharing it now, but I'll let everyone know it now:

I ran 0 seekers in my list, 2 rescue energy, and 3 junk arm.

PROPS:
Seth and I finishing 1st/2nd seeds into Top Cut
Thomas winning Sr's making an Oklahoma Sweep!
Blue fishes
Jack in the Box
Savannah & Crew for having the cards Seth needed, Thanks gals
Tyler finding a deck he likes
23 prizes for the DPL guy (yeah, someone playing DPL gave his opp >23 prizes).

SLOPS:
Need....more....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

in other news jumplume goes 1-3 and the frustrated sticky beard leaves before the end of swiss...

forget it...playing gdos!

Congrats! Granted, I know your list is a little atypical, but I don't think Luxchomp is unfavorable, even with Lucario, for Gyarados at this point.

@ Porii - I wore the Michigan hoodie

@ Muddy - Nope, I ran DGX though.

@ Amph - Sounds good, hopefully we'll have a solid match!

@ L_P - F'sho man, can't wait to see how you do with it come OK CC's

@ P_G - Thanks, but I'd definitely have to disagree on that one. Even through last season and up to this point, I have a strong record against LuxChomp while playing Gyarados, but it's all good. I'm sure more LC players have better records against G'dos than most G'dos players have vs LC.

I had to put on a show since there was a crowd gatherin, no offense to my opponent. but that was me who gave him 23 prizes, M-M-M-MILO

and congrats.

Here in OK, we don't get as many events as some other states, so we decided to carpool on down to the heart of Texas to find some solid competition and possibly bring home some of the new City Championship swag. Thomas (seniors), Tyler, Seth, and I (masters) all drove down at 5:30 in the morning and got ready for a fun day of Pokemon! I'll post about my list at the end.

Oh man, where do I begin? First of all, I didn't know "possibly" was even an issue with you. You always win, right? Just going off what I hear on the Gym.
Oh man. 5:30 in the morning. I feel so bad for you. Most of us Pokemon players get up for tournaments around noon and then hobble to our venue by 2:00pm. Sorry you had to get up at a unique time. We all feel sorry.
"Fun" day of Pokemon? L.O.L.
"I'll post my list at the end." Liar.

Austino said:
Round 1: ??? - Eeveelutions
He started out by locking up my sableye for a while and I didn't have a warp energy, so we both got to fully set up before any big attacks went down. However, even with his Espeon MD, I was still able to OHKO everything. Rough game for him, but it's also a generally bad matchup for him as well, sorry man.

1-0

Lol. You may fool others but I know you aren't sorry.

Austino said:
Round 2: Rokman.....wait, nope, repaired.....Andrew - Jumpluff/Sunflora
I'm not sure why, but I ended up flash biting an Unown Q 3 times to KO it when there was a hopip on the field with an energy on it. :nonono: I was slightly bothered with myself for missing this, but I ended up OHKOing the pluff the next turn and maintained control the rest of the game. He ended up BTS-ing into a pluff when he should have rare candied into into it and it ended up costing him later in the game. G'dos swinging for base 90 is rough for pluff, so this was another solid win.

2-0

You misplayed? Impossible. Not Austin. Did you go to the bathroom and have someone play in your place? I know you came back because you were criticizing his play, as per usual.

Austino said:
Great tournament, well ran! Glad to have come down for the event!

"Well ran" with two repairings? More like "I enjoyed coming down because I won, as usual, because I'm Austin."

Austino said:
As for my list, I'm not sharing it now, but I'll let everyone know it now:

I ran 0 seekers in my list, 2 rescue energy, and 3 junk arm.

And 3 Magikarp and 4 Gyarados?

Austino said:
SLOPS:
Need....more....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

How about... Austin was there and sucked the fun out for everyone?

Even with the 2 RePairs... turnaround was minimal! RePair does not mean 20 minutes of down time... Whickers Bickers already.. It is only Cities!!

Congrats Austin on the Win and to the Rest of OK that ventured down... great to see everyone arrived and returned Safely!! GL on future events! FOr those wondering about the Prizes here is 21 of the 23:

DPL in Action

Warning... viewing this photo might cause an urge for a WHAT-A-BURGER! Just Like You Like It!!

Last edited:
Back