Can't Touch This! A Scizor/Umbreon Block Deck

superwolfs

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
Deck Name: Scizor/Umbreon
Author: Wolfe Glick
Date: 01/15/11
Current Format: MD-TR

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by the idea of lock decks. Heck, I even played Dragonite LA with Ampharos PT last states for the fun of it. However, unlike my enormous fail with my Dragonite (joke deck, I may add) I believe I may have found one that works. When I first saw Umbreon from UD, I was intrigued. No powers or bodies can touch it? That's amazing! However, I immediately noticed a gaping weakness in the card. Although it had an amazing attack for one energy, it lacked damage output with a measly 30 percent that, with seeker becoming popular, would barely add up to anything. So I thought to myself; "Hmm....Who can I pair this with?" and that's when it came to me. Scizor Prime.

Strategy:
Set up Umbreon ASAP and use him to wall. While Umbreon is up front, power up a Scizor on the bench, with as many special metals on him as possible, add a belt and you can tank/sweep for the rest of the game.

Breakdown
Main Cards
displayimage.php

Ah yes, Umbreon, the main card in this deck. Hes just so good in today's format, with the ability to stop anything with powers or bodies he really is spectacular. His first attack is his primary one, as if your using his second one your doing something wrong. His low energy attack is great, you can (hypothetically) go second, equip special dark, play collector for Uxie and change, use Pokemon communication for an Umbreon, Uxie into the BTS and donk with E-belt. Sounds far fetched but its entirely possible and happens more often then you'd expect. With one retreat cost its not hard to get him out of the lead if you need it, resistance to psychic is nice, fighting weakness is bad against Machamp but that's why you have Espeon. HP is good for a stage 1 but can be tough late game, even with expert belt.

displayimage.php

Scizor is the decks sticking point, he helps out in matches Umbreon has trouble with. First, his pokebody. For those of you who didnt bother reading the card but are reading the article, his Poke-Body prevents all damage done to him by any pokemon with special energy attached to them. So, nothing with Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies, or special energy can do anything against this deck. Starting to see the synergy? Scizor only has one attack, but its well worth it. Metal Scissors adds 20 damage to a base 30 for every metal energy you add. His high damage output makes up for Umbreons low, and the cards have great synergy together. His retreat cost is bad, but thats why we have warp point. Weakness can be dealt with, and resistance is always nice.

displayimage.php
displayimage.php
displayimage.php

The search cards
Bebe's search is one of the best cards in the current format, for those of you who dont know. Its ability to search out any card, be it basic, evolution, or anything in between is really amazing. This card is a staple in any deck. Pokemon Collector is another great card. Its ability to get three of your basic Pokemon is a great tool to start with T1, and it has great synergy with Pokemon Communication, which at the cost of 1 pokemon allows you to get another out. These are the main search engines of the deck.
displayimage.php

Quick evolution, its fairly simple, this card works great with Seeker, and with the Pokemon Collector/Pokemon Communication combo.

displayimage.php

Now, some people don't like this card as it allows your opponent to return a card to their hand as well as yours but I find it brilliant. Warp point out a damaged Scizor, seeker it back and begin the chain again. Saving your special energy is essential when your opponent gets around your Umbreon.

displayimage.php

Adds damage, adds HP, try not to let them take a prize when you've got one of these on, use warp point and seeker to preserve them if you can. Great card right here really helps the deck.

The Techs

displayimage.php

Helps slow down your opponent, its a good grab with Collector and if your opponent relies heavily on powers this can be crippling. Use Seeker to recycle him if needed, but its great to have just to give you a head start.

displayimage.php

Anti Machamp right here, great to have in case you need it, he doesn't really do anything else.

displayimage.php

This guy is great against SP or if you need a free prize against like Spiritomb or something, when you cant risk Umbreon because they have something big on this bench. Really all he is is anti SP

displayimage.php

Lets be honest here, your matchup against Gyarados is awful. Like, so bad its better to scoop sometimes. This guy doesn't do much but, Sand Wall discards their BTS and power swing can finish them next turn. Well timed Judge and you've got a better chance. Free retreat for Scizor is nice as well, but he wont come out in most matches.

displayimage.php

This is here to slow down SP and Gyarados, not much else. When you know they have something good it can be helpful but for the most part you just use him to mess up your opponent.

Note: a few cards are not included in the analysis as I feel they are self explanatory. If you have any questions please ask.

Testing Results

So here is what I've learned about each match up from testing this deck, I played against every deck on here at least ten times. Keep in mind that I am not including every rogue as in my area we have mainly SP (about 70-80 percent I'd say) with the remaining players playing Gyarados or some rogue. So if I don't include your Crobat swarm deck I'm very sorry but I haven't played against enough of them to accurately give an honest opinion. Anyways, without further adieu, the matchups.

Luxchomp Slightly Favorable
Luxchomp should be an easy win for you right? I mean, they all have powers and bodys so you should just wall them the entire game, correct? WRONG! When I first played SP I was playing a very good player, and I went in thinking I had the auto-win and that it wouldn't be hard at all. Unfortunately, a smart Luxchomp player will get around moonlight fang and just snipe your bench/bright look away your moonlight fang. Play this match smart, burn through their poketurns and more importantly burn through the Cyrus, once their out of Cyrus' a well timed judge can keep them scrambling, if you've still got Mesprit available this can spell disaster for them, especially with Mightyena. Just play smart, waste their resources and keep your bench as small as possible.

Gyarados Very Unfavorable
Gyarados is your worst matchup. They don't have powers or bodys, thier damage output OHKO's Umbreon, they don't need to equip special energy as soon as they see Scizor, its just all around awful. I added Flygon to try and improve this, use Sand Wall first discard their BTS next turn Power Swing for the KO. Flygon should buy you a few turns to attempt to set up Scizor, which is really what you need to do to win. If you can get Scizor with 3-4 Special Metals and an Expert Belt, and play Judge the same turn you KO a Gyarados you may have a chance.

Vilegar Favorable
This isn't too hard, just get moonlight fangs damage output up to 90, retreat and use Uxie for the KO. They cant touch Umbreon, and you can seeker away anything they try to snipe on your bench. Try and avoid fainting spell if you can, and if you cant its not that big a deal your 2HKOing them without Special Darks. Mightyena can be used if you dont want to risk Umbreon on a Fainting Spell, and Flygon can help you keep your energy if you cant afford to discard it. Overall one of your easiest match ups, you shouldnt have alot of trouble with this one.

Sablelock Balanced
In this match its all about setting up. If you can get an Umbreon out there's really nothing they can do to stop you. You'll Moonlight Fang the entire game, and you should be able to win this. However, if they stop you before you get Umbreon out, there's not much you can do. They'll snipe away your Eevee's and there's not much you can do to stop them. Overall just hope for a good start and hope they get bad coin flips, setting up Umbreon is your #1 priority, this match is pretty even as its all about the start.

DialgaChomp Favorable
This match isn't very hard, Dialga doesn't have a power or body, but he may equip special energy. If he does you can use Scizor to wall him, until he levels up and shuts down your body. Oh, wait, but now he has a body meaning Umbreon can come back and wall him. Mightyena helps to burn through their Poketurn, you shouldn't have that much trouble against them, again keep your bench small and play your Judge smart, this match should go in your favor.

Closing Statements

Overall, this deck is both competitive and fun to play and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a rogue deck, as I feel this one has enormous potential. If you have any ideas, suggestions, anything PLEASE feel free to post and let me know. I really appreciate any suggestions. I'd like to thank Kevin Wong for helping me with my list, my testing, and my bad ideas and id like to thank all of you for reading. I really do encourage anyone who wants to to try this out, you wont be disappointed. If you think this is the worst idea ever and I'm an idiot, I also ask you to try this deck out, just for one match and if you still feel the same way then I accept that criticism. Thank you so much for reading, have fun with the deck!

I think I'd trade Flygon and Espeon for Honchkrow SV to help with your Gyarados and Machamp matchups? You could run a 2-2 line instead of a thin 1-1-1. Although it never hurts to have type coverage so maybe the Espeon should be kept.

I think your Umbreons and Scizors are already anti-SP, so I don't see a need for Mightyena at all. All they need to do is use Poke Turn and attack with another Pokemon. Then the next turn all they have to do is level up to finish of the KO if it wasn't done yet. I think consistency shuffle cards would fill the slots better. Perhaps even using Looker's Investigation to really keep the pressure on their hand when combined with Judge.

GREAT ARTICLE, it's very helpful with the match ups. I have a similar deck but I tosses in some sableye and some Skarmory UD, because my deck revolves around tanking with Scizor. I completely aggree that Gyrados is the hardest matchup, as it's a pain to beat. Never thought of the Espeon prime but I like it.

However, I do think that it would be favorable to take out the Mightyena for somthing else.

Anyways, GREAT ARTICLE again.

Keep up the good work.

-James.

Well my deck im playing at battle roads can touch this deck im glad tyranitar hase its second attack. This deck dosent seem bad but scizor would be best played with all metal energys.

Lol at the Gyarados player who attaches Rescue Energy against this deck without thinking about it...

^Even if they do, they can warp/seeker next turn, lol.

I appreciate the honest attempt at a creative deck here. Tbh, I wouldn't play the Flygon (and why no Mewtwo over Mightyena?), but this deck is right up my alley. The list seems relatively consistent, though I'd love to see more disruption in this deck, maybe utilizing a Sableye engine with initiatives. All in all, nice idea (though unfortunately it's obsolete with Lost World coming out soon :()

@ genguy/PSU: I agree with you about flygon, honchcrow never occurred to me to be honest but its a great idea. Espeon is necessary though because of any fighting type deck, so I intend to keep it.
@ box of fail: Thank you, im glad you liked it. Mewtwo requires psychic energy TBH its the same reason I dont run celeb from TR, to prevent evolutions, special energy, and powers/bodys, just requires to many energy. Lost world will be a problem, but since umbreon (hypothetically) can OHKO gengar prime its not winnable.

I was just upstairs looking at my Mightyena LA's and Umbreon's and thinking 'these guys with the right list can do some damage in the next format'. Seems that someone had the same exact idea, though i'd switch the flygon for the BDK as someone stated, though you don't play that many basics...

Great article! I really like the idea!

The Flygon tech seems cool, but it looks a little hard to get out. How often do you find you manage to get it out?

Ideally when you saw they were running gyrados you could T1 collector for trapinch, uxie, and mesprit, equip to trapinch use mesprit to slow them down, and by T2 you could get him out although generally it happened by T3

i didnt mean to try and sound rude if i did. its just out of all the card games if the first Tournament that is won with it gets to name it? if it was won a cities before then its my mistake, or the name made by the most popular name?

How does getting an umbreon out guarantee a win against sabelock? they can just send up garchomp C and earthquake you

garchomp C only has 80 HP, true they can EQ but with luck you can one shot them (quick blow). Dont forget its Scizor/Umbreon, and once they stop locking you with initiative you may be presented an opportunity to set up. If you can get a Scizor with 2 energy and a belt you one shot there garchomp C, and they cant touch you if they equip DCE. Umbreon alone doesn't win this match but setting him up definitely hurts them.

WoW, This is a really great deck. This is probably the coolest deck I've ever seen. I'm jelly. Also a card I find great for countering a fullypowered machamp is Drifblim UD and you can really run it's line 1-1. Thanks again for the great post. Wow.

Back