Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

what's with the dividing by zero?? when you take a percentage you don't divide by zero, you multiply by a number between 0 and 1. Rearranging a formula to include a division by zero is likely to be invalid. [As an engineer I used to do this a lot, but then I understood the context so could make sure that the operation remained both mathematically and physically valid. If you blindly manipulate equations then you often get stupid answers]

100% = all. you miss all the shots you don't take.

miss = fail , shot = opportunity. You fail all the opportunities you don't take.

[FWIW 0/0 is undefined without further information: It might be 1 or some other number such as zero or the awkward case of infinity or even stay as undefined which will typically exclude that point from the domain for which the answer is provided.]

Last edited:
You could not shoot in this situation and give it to someone else/not shoot altogether risking the other team getting the upper hand.

@Kayla

If you try to ask someone out, it could be to simply get someone to go out with you for bragging rights (not me). If that fails and said person says no, then you missed the shot. If you never took the shot in the first place, you didn't miss the shot because you didn't lose anything.

CONFUSING.

Anyways, i really think it's true, you don't make any shots, do you?

[FWIW 0/0 is undefined without further information: It might be 1 or some other number such as zero or the awkward case of infinity or even stay as undefined which will typically exclude that point from the domain for which the answer is provided.]

It can also be any number in between (the average speed between two points in time goes to 0/0 as the distance between those two points goes to zero, but you are obviously never moving 0/0 miles per hour). Calculus!

To restate it, if you don't take any shots, then you miss 100% of those shots.

The total number of shots is zero. 100% of zero is zero.

So, if you don't take any shots, then you miss zero shots.

If you don't take any shots, then by definition you make none and miss none. The statement is true. In fact, any percentage of zero is zero, so any percentage would work. You miss 42% of the shots you don't take.

If you take a shot at trying to make reasonable sence in this subject without getting confused, you have a 100% fail rate to NOT succeed in getting the full 100% of getting anyone to agree that a shot not taking is even worth the attempt if you don't try in the first place.

So- if you take the shot, and miss, then you failed in the accomplishing department. Thus, if back at square one- you could debate for yourself to see if the goel is even acomplishable, if you take the 50%/50% of either trying or not trying at all.

so, I think that if you try with at least getting past the "what if" factors, you could go with at least a 100% attempt at getting a 100% fail result.

just get past the 50/50 of either doing it or not, THEN worry about the result. If you want results, you got to try. Don't try, and you have a 100% result in the first place.

I know, and it is a good thing to live by.

It's just wrong.

"Miss" has many meanings. One is a young lady. Another, to fail to be on target. In this case it's used as a pun in the phrase and means to let go by. As one does nothing and allows opportunities to pass you have a quantitative something which is very much measurable as a percentage.

Example: 25 opportunities pass you by without seizing even one, you missed 100% of those 25.

@Pori, the phrase is not wrong, your rigid interpretation however is. Even worse is your insistance that your reinterpretation as a mathematical statement is correct and that alternatives are therefore wrong. You asked if the phrase was mathematically and or philosophically wrong. It is mathematically loose but that does not make it wrong.

zero is an important number in mathematics. It is really easy to mess up the use of zero. For example what is the factorial of zero? Try your calculator and see what it gives: many get it wrong.

---

Before you take your shots how many have you missed? If you are going to perform a calculation with that quantity how do you plan on representing that quantity?

How much is all of nothing?

Last edited:
Let's look at one important word in this phrase "miss." By stating that you have missed something, implies that you had the chance to take it. So, this statement doesn't say there are none to take, just that you didn't take them. So the actual formula shouldn't be 0 / 0, but rather 0 / X, when X is the unknown amount of chances.

0 / X = 0 , so you hit 0% of the time, therefore you miss the inverse of this, which is 100% of the time.

"I miss 100% (Or all) Of the shots I don't take."

Explain how it is possible to not miss (Or Gain) on something you didn't do?

If I don't use the internet, how am I gaining information from it?

If I don't take a shot, how am I having a chance at making it?

Answer these please.

~P99

Let's look at one important word in this phrase "miss." By stating that you have missed something, implies that you had the chance to take it. So, this statement doesn't say there are none to take, just that you didn't take them. So the actual formula shouldn't be 0 / 0, but rather 0 / X, when X is the unknown amount of chances.

0 / X = 0 , so you hit 0% of the time, therefore you miss the inverse of this, which is 100% of the time.

The inverse of 0/X is not 1 however. X/0 is infinite and irrational, which is my point here.

@P99

If you missed on something you may have gained something in the process, like character.

The inverse of 0/X is not 1 however. X/0 is infinite and irrational, which is my point here.

@P99

If you missed on something you may have gained something in the process, like character.
Why... does that matter? Mathematically, XP = Y when X is the number of tries you make and P is your success percentage. Y is the number of successes. Whenever you divide by a variable, you must always make the note (unless X = 0). For example, P = Y/X as long as X is not = to 0. When X = 0, P is unimportant. Y is going to be 0. We can say that when you take 0 tries, you make 42% of your tries... because 42% of 0 is 0. Missing 100% is the same as saying you make 0%. 0*0=0. Simple math... nothing to argue.

I must correct you in a few pointless points that you have made errors about. X/0 is neither infinite nor irrational. It is undefined. HUGE difference. When the inverse of any fraction is 1, that fraction must also be 1. I don't know why you're arguing that 0/X's inverse is not 1.

Also, at the thread, 0/0 is not 0 or 1. X/X is 1, and 0/X is 0, but that is assuming that X is not zero. You cannot divide by zero ever. If you plug in 0 for the X in the numerator and then substitute, you'll end up getting 0=1. Just fyi ;) Ever notice how whenever you have a variable in a denominator, you must make an exception for it? That is why.

EDIT: I see why you got confused about the inverse. The word he was looking for something along the lines of alternative. In probability, if you have two events which are defined as A and not A, to find not A when you have A, you use 1-P(A) when P(A) is the probability of A. Inverse has very little to do with this. Using an inverse with fractions and probability will give you a P>1 or confusion. 1-0=1, so because you hit 0% of the shots, you do not hit 100% of the shots.

...why is this a thread?
If you don't attempt something, you obviously can't accomplish it.
YOU added the 100% part. This has nothing to do with math.

Hahahaha at anyone who said 0/0 = 1

@P99

Sorry, let me rephrase. As z-man pointed out, I should have said:

The Probability of Event Y is P(Y) = 0 / X.
The Probability of Not Event Y is P(not Y). *Instead of inverse
P(not Y) = (1 - P(Y)).
P(not Y) = (1 - (0 / X))
P(not Y) = (1 - 0)
P(not Y) = (1) = 100%

Source. Property 2 of Probabilities.

Last edited:
Usually, when I do shots, I pour them straight down my throat, but the later in the evening it gets, the more shots I miss..

Back