Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Black and White Rules in Reguards to Naitonals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or whatabout, the player going first can't do anything on your opponent with attacks.
Example: You can't Trick gas on T1 or Overconfident but you can impersonate for a cyrus but not for a Seeker/Judge/Lookers etc.

To complicated for newer players a simple you can/can't rule is what is needed not rules that interact with different cards

I say you can attack, you just can't place damage counters or do any damage on the first turn. Nothing wrong with darkness grace or impersonate

Then the game starts to become like Yu-Gi-Oh!

I'm not too concerned that the game will be "broken" now that T/S/S are playable on first turn. I think we'll see a price spike for a little bit in Sableye SF, it seems as though some online stores have already started to raise them a little bit now. I doubt we will see a complete dominance by Sableye-whatever the rest of the season though.

Surely you're trolling.

This game is already similar to Yu-Gi-Oh! in terms of gameplay in the current format, just considerably worse. "Oh no, you dropped your trap card on my Uxie!" *proceeds to get swept for the entire game unless I topdeck like a god.* The prize trade off and using key moves and powers mid game is so close to a YGO-esque gameplay it's not funny.

Donk decks will make this game considerably worse than YGO - at least the player going first cannot OTK the opponent (At least not in any way I am aware of, or was aware of when I was competitive). OTK on the opening turn of the game is just ridiculous and if P!P didn't do something about it, I'd be inclined to feel like they don't value the SotG like many of it's volunteers and players do.

I do not in anyway see how this could be good for the current format. I guess there's no real way to tell if it will really effect next year until then but I dont see how it could be good. I just dont get how they could make such a huge rule change in the middle of a season. They probably should change the time ruling now again too to like 5 min+3.

What ever TPC/TPCI/P!P decides to do everyone needs to remember, Pokemon is only a game, have fun or go home.

Can we try to keep the crying and whining to a minimal for a change, please.

*Waaaambulance is on standby, just in case.*

Pokemon IS ONLY A GAME.

Something that POKEMON needs to realize is that POKEMON ISN'T the only GAME IN TOWN.

I am a consumer, I don't have to "Suck it up" or quick whinning. I could change hobbies. We have played since the beggining, competitive player, I run a League, Buy about 2 boxes each set, and (pay attention) I don't know the name of a SINGLE new BLACK and WHITE POKEMON because I don't play the video game. Great time for me to change hobbies if I the current hobby doesn't excite me.

Again, when players complain, the attitude that we don't have a choice but to grin and bear it is completely WRONG ATTITUDE.
(BTW, I am still holding out hope that New Rules and Current Format don't ever meet.)

Last edited:
I've played YGO, and unless Pokemon starts making a lot of trainers that let stuff happen on your opponent's turn, then Pokemon isn't going to turn into YGO. Also, the cards in YGO have the ability to turn the entire game around with 2 cards. Raigeki and Harpies Feather Duster and bam, everything on their field is gone. Use a monster reborn to grab back a powerful monster, summon on your own, and in one turn you can take half of your opponent's points (half the win condition; the equivalent of taking 3 prizes or discarding half of your opponent's deck) in just a couple of cards. Can't say Pokemon can do this so easily; it would take a LOT more cards to get close.

However, YGO does have one thing over Pokemon which has been mentioned, you can't end the game on your first turn. I actually liked the rule of not being able to attack when you went first because it gave you something to look forward to when you went 2nd, kind of how in the now ' old rules ' you could only play TSS on your 2nd turn. Didn't prevent donking, but also didn't let it get out of hand. Not allowing you to attack on your first turn allows the player going first to at least safe-guard themselves from being donked in their opponent's turn by making use of cards like Collector or Communication to grab more basics. Now it's an all out donk-fest.

I can tell you that at least for the end of this season I'll be reviving my old Sablelock to make use of this tragedy. Might as well go out with a bang!

EDIT: To go with Slow Deck who posted above me, Pokemon really isn't the only TCG around. At my league, the YGO, MTG, and Pokemon players all have our leagues at the same time - switching over would involve just sitting on a different table than I do now. And I have friends who play both YGO and the WoW TCG, so it's not like it's a hard switch. I choose not to because I still like the game and the cards, but if I perceive the format as getting poor, or the way they handle cards as also being poor, I have no qualms about leaving - and neither should you.

Lia, let me ask you a question...

Is there anything with the new BW rules that the second player gets to do BEFORE the first player?

Basicly no, only placing an active/bench as set up.

Tell me what the starting player can do NOW, before the second player gets the turn?
And please don't go for the "use your call nrg" or "darkness grace" , because those options are as much luck based as in the new situation going second and having 2 basics out.

Basicly no, only placing an active/bench as set up.

Tell me what the starting player can do NOW, before the second player gets the turn?
And please don't go for the "use your call nrg" or "darkness grace" , because those options are as much luck based as in the new situation going second and having 2 basics out.

Directly before the second player gets their turn they can attach an energy first and attack first. They are also given the first chance to level up as well as naturally evolve when you take into consideration the second turn of each player. It's not perfectly balanced, but there is a sense of balance still.

Directly before the second player gets their turn they can attach an energy first and attack first. They are also given the first chance to level up as well as naturally evolve when you take into consideration the second turn of each player. It's not perfectly balanced, but there is a sense of balance still.

There is only a kind of balance if you use SP/1nrg attackers, nothing more nothing less.
I have been using 3 nrg stage 2 attackers and I can tell you the disadvantage is huge.

I would vote for the old rule, the player who wins the coinflip decides who has to start.

Last edited:
I kinda wish that we had the old "No Supporter, No Draw" first turn rules. Those were actually reasonably balanced...

It always seems like the average and bad players are in favor of donks where the better players would rather have the chance to "out play" their opponents.

You know it, we've been complaining all season about this. My rating is horrible this year mostly from being donked 5 times throughout citys and states. Now that these rules have been put in place, not even sure if most players will even take nationals seriously since donks will show a huge increase. I can safely say that 4/5 of those donks were from players that were well over 50-80 points below me. So those that have a high rating and have the courage to play nationals, you have my applause.

havent really read the whole thread. kinda skimmed the first two pages but what about limiting sabley and uxie to say 2 per deck. Having only 2 uxie per deck would severly limit the ability to consisntyly draw through the deck and hit all the trainers that need to donk. It would still be possible but with the change to plus power and still haveing the possiblity of going second and not being able to donk then besically beind done for the game would basically nerf uxie donk while still leaving enough uxie per deck to keep speed up in the format as I dont really ever run more than two uxie in a deck.

Sableye on the other hand would be much less likley to start with sableye so you would be less likely to get that guarnteed chance of going first but people would still have access to the many thngs that sableye provides ect.

IMO limiting Uxie to 2 per deck would be one of the best solutions, but then we still have the issue of Sableye Judging then impersonating Initiative t1 and pretty much locking everything.

I'm glad I pretty much have my invite already lol. I do not envy anyone whose playing at Nats one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back