Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Houston, Texas Regionals - TWO DAY event

Also, another thought: I love the way that people react to my bracket predictions. Demetre in particular did a fantastic job of proving me wrong - and how!

Major props to the winners, and thanks everybody for making this one of the most enjoyable events I've ever attended. This has been such a great season, and I'm eagerly looking forward to BR's and Worlds. (Probably not going to Nats, but I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one!)

Still exhausted, but feeling great! We had a great time at Regionals!

The weather was good… Lots of smiling familiar faces, and some anxious new ones!

It was wonderful to see the Pokemon family once again! Can’t wait to see the extended family at Nationals!

And now, for the BIG THANKS!

Thanks to the PLAYERS:

Thank you to each and every one of you. What an awesome bunch! Really-- just a super group of players… Clean playing, steady pace… You made it so easy on the judges!

A big thanks to the JUDGES:
You guys rock! Awesome job done by all, not much more to say other than THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Judges:

Jeff Harris -- Head Judge
Christine Noah -- Lead
Richard Collinsworth -- Lead
Charlotte Pettitt -- Lead
Rick Schofield
Jose Flores
Matthew Padget (pink socks, really?)
Melissa Boyer
Nancy Lynch
Mark House
Emanuel Enriquez
Caroline Vance

Staff:
Lisa B.
Mary Ann M. (and Mr. M.)
Annette M.
Linda S.
Kim W.
Gerald M.
Corrine G.
Kaushik D.
Randy B.
… and Sherri H. for the wall!

And to one of our very own Pokemoms, Jen King, owner of Space Cadets Collection for hosting our Top 8.

Thanks again... and "Great job" to everyone.

We all worked as a team, and made it happen AGAIN!

The 2011 Pokemon Regional Championships in Houston, Texas was a HUGE success!!!!

And now, for the winners:

Juniors:

1. Natalia R. 9-0 Dallas area
2. Ryan H. 7-2 Houston area
3. Austin C. 6-2 Houston area
4. Nikhil D. 6-2 Dallas area
5. Matthew N. 5-2 Dallas area (just moved to Texas from Florida)
6. Connor M. 5-2 Houston area
7. Levi G. 4-3 Dallas area
8. Jordan T. 4-3 Dallas area

Seniors:

1. Payton W. 9-2 Louisiana
2. Cameron C. 8-3 Houston area
3. Ryan M. 8-2 Houston area
4. Julian C. 8-2 Houston area
5. Thomas P. 7-2 Oklahoma
6. Sean H. 7-2 Dallas area
7. Jacob T. 7-2 Dallas area
8. Wyeth M. 6-3 Austin area

Masters:

1. Alex Fields 12-1 Killeen, TX (I know what I'm giving you prior to game 1 next year) Thirsty?
2. Michael Weldon 9-4 Fort Worth area
3. Amalio O. 9-3 Fort Worth area
4. Josh Highlander 8-4 Dallas area
5. Oliver "Demetre" Fish 9-2 Fort Worth area
6. Aaron Harris 8-3 Louisiana
7. Kaitlyn Worrell 8-3 Louisiana
8. Len Deuel 7-4 Dallas area

Last edited:
On a side note, I am admittedly a bit haunted by the idea that the raffle ticket I never did check may have been for something as awesome as a water bottle. It is difficult to sleep at night knowing I may have thrown that away!

Hey, don't knock the water bottle! I think it's pretty rare, lol. :biggrin:

I don't know if it was more widely distributed, but as far as I know, the water bottle was a promotional item for Pokemon's 10th Anniversary at Space Center Houston. We also gave them out at our very first Regionals in 2006, which was also held at the Space Center. We also gave some out at one of our City Championships later that year. Other than that, I don't know where else they were given out.

In fact, one of Saturday's mat winners asked if he could have a water bottle instead. He said he already had three mats, but had never seen the water bottle! :thumb:

Hey, don't knock the water bottle! I think it's pretty rare, lol. :biggrin:

I don't know if it was more widely distributed, but as far as I know, the water bottle was a promotional item for Pokemon's 10th Anniversary at Space Center Houston. We also gave them out at our very first Regionals in 2006, which was also held at the Space Center. We also gave some out at one of our City Championships later that year. Other than that, I don't know where else they were given out.

In fact, one of Saturday's mat winners asked if he could have a water bottle instead. He said he already had three mats, but had never seen the water bottle! :thumb:

Haha. I just feel silly for never even checking my ticket.

Hey, Mike a little more info.

Sean H. and Len Deuel are Dallas Area. :thumb:

The event was great. Thanks for holding a great tourney. Hope to see the faces soon again.

This event was awesome, seriously. Team Cook did such an awesome job running the event. The judging was good, the competition was awesome, the event went smooth, just awesome, awesome job Mike and staff.

I had a blast playing....just unfortunate I played 5 autolosses and couldn't find the SP/Gyarados/Gengar decks.

Also, Ron, congrats to your daughter, that is AWESOME!!! Man she has come a long way in a year.

And, to the DFW players: congrats to all of you that did well, it was cool to see some of the players that I'm starting to recognize do well.

...and, thanks again Mike for the energy. Birch said he was a bit disappointed that he didn't hear me singing...but, that's because he's never actually heard me sing....I'm sure he would beg me to quit if I had to. But, for what its worth, I did spend the better part of 4 hours listening to 3 songs over and over trying to learn one. Might have to make it up next year...

Len, you are my hero for your win in T16....I was rooting for you.

Chicken Dinner Winner list has been updated for Aaron, Len, & Sean.

It looks like the tournament will be uploaded today, I'll post when it gets done.

Once again guys, AWESOME job to all the players, y'all made it easy.

Oh, if you stayed in a hotel in the Houston area for Regionals and lost a deck or know of someone missing a deck, please contact me and describe the deck. You can pm me on here or call me @ 281-362-8781, just ask for Mike or leave a message if you get the machine (business line).

Have a good day to all.

The tournament has been uploaded and as always we have a few pop id issues. All issues are being sent to TPCi today for corrections, nothing major, easy fixin'.

Masters:

Either wrong #s were entered or given for the following:

Paul Wells - came up as another Master player, Junior N. once uploaded.
Falynn Fulcher - came up as a Junior player once uploaded.
Trinh Nguyen - came up as another Master player, Ben Tennsyon once uploaded.
Joey Mead - came up as another Master player, Drake Meyer once uploaded.
Wesley Arevalo - came up as a Senior player once uploaded.

Seniors:

Ryan N. - comes up as James M. once uploaded.
Jacob C. - comes up as a Masters player, Kassandra McDonald once uploaded.

Like I said, these are minor issues, TPCi will correct asap.

Mike checked each name on Saturday's tournament roster, against each name on the uploaded roster, and found the issues above. He has reported them to TPCI.

With the exception of one player, it appears that all the others gave/wrote down the incorrect POP IDs.

If you are one of the players listed in the previous post, you can help expedite the process by contacting us with your correct POP ID number.

Masters:

1. Alex Fields 12-1 Killeen, TX (I know what I'm giving you prior to game 1 next year) Thirsty?
2. Michael Weldon 9-4 Fort Worth area
3. Amalio O. 9-3 Fort Worth area
4. Josh Highlander 8-4 Dallas area
5. Oliver "Demetre" Fish 9-2 Fort Worth area
6. Aaron Harris 8-3 Louisiana
7. Kaitlyn Worrell 8-3 Louisiana
8. Len Deuel 7-4 Dallas area

Josh Highlander is from North Texas, the small town of Tom Bean. (Sherman area)

Josh Highlander is from North Texas, the small town of Tom Bean. (Sherman area)

Since I didn't know exact towns, I just said "areas" and Sherman is basically in the greater Dallas area. You'll notice I didn't even mention towns for the winners around Houston, i just said Houston area.

Next year we'll try and get exact towns from everyone.

Wyeth M is from Austin, baby, and get used to him--he's rising up the ranks fast ;-) Team Dragon's Lair was well represented at states but Wy was the sole Austin senior at regionals and proud to represent in the top 8! Thanks to organizers, judges, and players for a great tournament; the whole family had a great time. Mom especially liked the horses racing by.
~wyeth's dad

Last edited:
Wyeth M is from Austin, baby, and get used to him--he's rising up the ranks fast ;-) Team Dragon's Lair was well represented at states but Wy was the sole Austin senior at regionals and proud to represent in the top 8! Thanks to organizers, judges, and players for a great tournament; the whole family had a great time. Mom especially liked the horses racing by.
~wyeth's dad

I'll get Austin on the map. Thanks for joining us for the weekend.

Thank you to "Team Cook" for the hosting the "Southern Regionals" in Houston. Thank you to my fellow judges in the "Senior Division", Matt, Melissa, and Mark. Thanks to Christine and Jeff for being there for me to bounce rulings off of them. The staff worked very closely together and this was a good group.

Personally, I thought that this was the smoothest "Regionals" that I had ever attended. I received nothing but praise from players and parents. Thank you, again, Mike and Mia for allowing me to be a part of this event. :clap::clap::clap:
MP Birch

QUOTE chrataxe
Also, Ron, congrats to your daughter, that is AWESOME!!! Man she has come a long way in a year.

Natalia would like to thank everybody who's been so gracious with their congratulations and high praise. It's hard to believe that in only one year of playing she went UNDEFEATED in Regionals, beating the current OK State Champ (twice), and current TX State Champ (T4).

She played VileGar, and the best part about it was she acted like she's "been there, done that." What a pro............ I'm obviously a better teacher than I am a player. :lol:

A special thanks to Professor Birch, who was instrumental in getting Natalia started when she entered her first tournament at the 2010 TX State Championship. Without his help and early guidance, she wouldn't be able to enjoy the upcoming trip to Nationals this year.

The great thing is, she still has one more year to play in Junior's next year, so all you young men out there better take notice, and don't ever doubt what this young lady can do at the tables (you know who I'm talking to.............).

Thank you to "Team Cook" for the hosting the "Southern Regionals" in Houston. Thank you to my fellow judges in the "Senior Division", Matt, Melissa, and Mark. Thanks to Christine and Jeff for being there for me to bounce rulings off of them. The staff worked very closely together and this was a good group.

Personally, I thought that this was the smoothest "Regionals" that I had ever attended. I received nothing but praise from players and parents. Thank you, again, Mike and Mia for allowing me to be a part of this event. :clap::clap::clap:
MP Birch

You know, with all the playing I did at Regionals, I just now realized I didn't get a chance to sit down and talk with my favorite PTO, BIRCH! AAAAArrrrrggggh

Back