Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why Changing Format wont change the fact its still a crapshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seriously Cinccino is not as OP as many say. Do the wave back in the glory days of Wigglytuff was a great deck. But so was Rain Dance, Haymaker and even Charizard on occassion. So I do not worry about it so much. Yes 100 for two colorless is somewhat scary. But with it having only 90 hit points and a double weak to fighting. It is a balanced card.

So I do not see it being all that broken in this format. As many decks will be hitting for insane amounts of damage. Like Reshiram and Zekrom who both can hit 120 and then once they get hit they can use outrage. Which for each damage counter on the does an extra 10 damage on top of the base damage of 20. So that should scare the weak minded as well. That and them being 130hp basics.

But for me it does not. As it makes me think back to the base set days of Chansey and it's 100hps and doing double edge for 80 for 4 colorless energy. Was it powerful yes was it used in Alakazam as tech to move damage to and scoop yes. But it was not broken and I can see that being done with Reshiram and Zekrom. With Renoculus doing the same thing move damage counters on to Reshiram or Zekrom and go to town.

But is it Over Powered? Is it privy to a first turn donk? Does it mill my deck out? No it doesn't it takes play and set up. Two things that pokemon lacks at the moment. When SP rules a format like has for 2 years going on 3 and all the self inclusive cards. It made for a sour environment. Which as a player and most a deck builder left little to imagination. So is the game going to be a crap shoot?

No it will be far from it as the good/great players can showcase their talent for building. While everyone who has netdecked will be left scrambling or finding a local player who has skill build their deck. So if anything this moves to game forward by going backwards. It opens it up to the original thinkers and those of us that want more than SP, Gyrados Speed Champ and Vilegar top cutting. Those decks have come and gone and its time for a new King and Queen deck.

I got donked in HGSS by a t1 zekrom =(

I've been able to do that with Zekrom. That's about the only donk I really see happening, though.

I fail to see how this format is going to be that much of a crapshoot. Deck building is so key, and testing is going to be very huge. I've already started testing this format some, and I'm already loving it. It's definitely a challenge, but, it's a welcomed one.

Pachirisu 2 Lightning Energy to itself, then use Shaymin's Power to move them to Zekrom. Attach to Zekrom.

^ Doesn't that require Pachirisu having to attack though? Its not a donk if its not over on T1.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm stupid. I just looked it up.. But is it going to be likely to see 3 Lightning energies in opening hand?

^ Doesn't that require Pachirisu having to attack though? Its not a donk if its not over on T1.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm stupid. I just looked it up.. But is it going to be likely to see 3 Lightning energies in opening hand?

nah, pachirisu's attaches 2 energy to itself from your hand when you play it. then they also have the 3rd lightning to manually attach to zekrom... AND the shaymin to move the other energy to zekrom... then they hit for 120 t1... i guess it works if you're amazing at drawing 3 energy+collector in your first hand

thats so unlikely. With no uxie, or other ways to draw cards? I'm not buying it more than 2-3 times out of 10, at most. And then assuming I have more than one basic I just LOL.

Donking is a non factor

thats so unlikely. With no uxie, or other ways to draw cards? I'm not buying it more than 2-3 times out of 10, at most. And then assuming I have more than one basic I just LOL.

Donking is a non factor

exactly... good luck drawing into all of that t1-2 when it's effective... any later than that you lose to anything that can do 90 damage.

I'm pretty sure that is the only thing that will remotely come close to a "Donk" deck. I do think Zekrom/Pachirisu will be a good deck this format though.

Bad post. Learn to make decks. Format looks good to me so far. T1 loss is very unlikely. Things are so much more interesting without Uxie.

To disclaim, I am fine with an HS-On format, but not the timing of how this went down and lack of communication. Also, I am not trying to pick out Ruiner for any particular reason except that he had the most I felt I could respond to.

I would also like to say that the way people are treating the entirety of people against this rotation as "scrubs" is not much in the spirit of discussion. There are legitimate complaints.

et, borderline dirt cheap. To hear ANYONE complain that POKEMON is "too hard to get cards for " makes me sick.

I understand some people may be frustrated because they like to dump off their old cards right before they rotate at nationals, and now, the price drop has already hit, but lets be realistic. This entire debate has been going on FOREVER now, everyone was aware it was a possibility, acting like it "couldn't happen" and not taking it into account is stubborn at best.

Hyperbolic much with the make me sick? A lot of players live and die by sinking all of their money into their deck. Let us say that a player in this situation cannot reasonably go to nationals, but regionals was close enough to travel to. While that may not be even a majority of players, it certainly has to be a substantial amount, and being unable to trade away their decks is going to really hurt them.

To respond to the next part, why do you think just because there was a bunch of hysteria it should be taken seriously? There was hysteria over Lost World never being released, and that never materialized. They built an entire set around it! With that hysteria, Gengar Prime's price went to absurd prices when it was actually released (topping up at least at $48). With this hysteria, prices are going to collapse instead. You have to make a prediction one way or the other, and the people at fault here are those who allowed a public assumption of "4 sets a year rotating" and then pulled the rug out from under them.

The other people at fault are whoever thought the new rules were a good idea, or that because Japan rotated we had to (and by the way, I do not buy the U.S. as "helpless" in all that; I am not saying they were malicious, just that this is classic blame shifting - "we're not the bad guys! it's Japan!". Ultimately, the only people I really blame though at are the people who shifted the TSS rules, which is still going to be a problematic element in the new HS-On format!

I get the arguments for the last metagame being "stale", but why did Magnezone/Regirock win a regionals then? If you want to argue that the new metagame would have been terrible, I do not really have an argument against that, but no one forced them to pick HS-On instead of RR-On.

Its not an all bad thing. I think the game SHOULD be where you go into a tournament not knowing what your opponent is playing. That is really a good thing.

If I were to host a tournament, I would force everyone to go rogue. That way, the best players win.

Where's the 'LIKE' button when you need one?

c*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back