Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BR Donk Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think it is to late. If they where to rotate they should have done it prior to Battle Roads. As it stands I am done with them. After being donked multiple times at multiple locations. Even watching the same guy donk his way to top spot in several locations. I just want nothing to do with this format anymore. If we do not see a rotation I see a vast majority not going to Nationals and even fewer showing up for what will be donkcentral at Worlds.

No one wants a game where they watch their opponent play solitaire with themselves. Then reach across and say good game. When you know it wasn't as you never to got to play. It is not a fun environment for older players new players or establishing a good rapport with the players in general. When you see cards that are broken and near impossible to get being used in a broken fashion against you. It is not worth it for the parents, the kids or the players in general. We need this rotation in order to bring back balance.

Too late? The rules just came in effect. They made the perfect decision so we could try it out. People were saying Sabledonk wasn't great as well as people saying it was great. How are they supposed to know if it's a problem until it is tested in a tournament. Random league stories won't work for something like this. We were warned to try it out. Everybody got the same time to try the format out.

I don't like the donk decks either. But I don't think it is fair to throw everything out after battle roads. We use the tornaments to practice for Nationals ( let don't even get started talking about the money we have spent on cards this year) and they want to throw everything out a few weeks before Nationals start. That would be a real slap in the face to me.

You can increase your chances against donk decks. We played 3 tournaments in the Atlanta area this past weekend and no Sableye won! I played against Sableye 5 times and only lost one time. It is a good deck, but how many people are complaining about SP's and G-dose. It is just another deck like the SP's and G-Dose that people hate because they are good and can donk you. I have been donked more times than I can count this year by both SP's and G-dose.

For the record, we have never played any of the above decks and never will. We would rather win on skill or nothing at all. My son won the Ga State and 2nd at a Regional playing against the decks listed above. I don't think it is fair to take all the deck testing and money we have spent this year and throw it out the window because a new deck has come out that people don't like. Gardivor-Gallade, Banette, Machamp, Sp's, G-dose, etc etc etc, Donk decks have been a part of the format since we started playing,

Please understand I hate Donk decks with a passion, but it is not fair to throw a year of hard work, testing, and money away right before nationals.

Ken

I don't like the donk decks either. But I don't think it is fair to throw everything out after battle roads. We use the tornaments to practice for Nationals ( let don't even get started talking about the money we have spent on cards this year) and they want to throw everything out a few weeks before Nationals start. That would be a real slap in the face to me.

You can increase your chances against donk decks. We played 3 tournaments in the Atlanta area this past weekend and no Sableye won! I played against Sableye 5 times and only lost one time. It is a good deck, but how many people are complaining about SP's and G-dose. It is just another deck like the SP's and G-Dose that people hate because they are good and can donk you. I have been donked more times than I can count this year by both SP's and G-dose.

For the record, we have never played any of the above decks and never will. We would rather win on skill or nothing at all. My son won the Ga State and 2nd at a Regional playing against the decks listed above. I don't think it is fair to take all the deck testing and money we have spent this year and throw it out the window because a new deck has come out that people don't like. Gardivor-Gallade, Banette, Machamp, Sp's, G-dose, etc etc etc, Donk decks have been a part of the format since we started playing,

Please understand I hate Donk decks with a passion, but it is not fair to throw a year of hard work, testing, and money away right before nationals.

Ken

I don't think it's fair to keep a year of donking, no skill in deckbuilding because the same cards have been dominating for 3 years. There isn't even much testing needed in a format filled with donks and people who can't build a deck to save their life because it is posted online and has been beaten to a dead horse. The new format is a blessing. I am not saying it is the best ever, because it is not even close. It is, however, the best we have seen in 3 years.

I have played since the beginning. Your assessment is not entirely accurate. It isn't that we don't like LuxChomp or Gyarados. It's that we don't like broken cards like Luxray GL LV.X, Uxie and Sableye (BW rules version). I would gladly take 2008's three playable decks for the majority of the season over this donk-infested trash format. At least there was some skill in Gardevoir mirror.

If you would like to win with skill then you should at least give HGSS-on a try. But I get the feeling you haven't played during the game's golden years (2004-2008). And certainly, the game was at its peak in 2005-2006. I am sorry that a lot of cards you have purchased this season will have rotated. It's the same for everyone else. As a player who has been around since the beginning, I can tell you that I had and have no plans to attend any Battle Road because of the format. It isn't fun. It isn't even fun if you don't run Sableye.

I don't think it's fair to keep a year of donking, no skill in deckbuilding because the same cards have been dominating for 3 years. There isn't even much testing needed in a format filled with donks and people who can't build a deck to save their life because it is posted online and has been beaten to a dead horse. The new format is a blessing. I am not saying it is the best ever, because it is not even close. It is, however, the best we have seen in 3 years.

I have played since the beginning. Your assessment is not entirely accurate. It isn't that we don't like LuxChomp or Gyarados. It's that we don't like broken cards like Luxray GL LV.X, Uxie and Sableye (BW rules version). I would gladly take 2008's three playable decks for the majority of the season over this donk-infested trash format. At least there was some skill in Gardevoir mirror.

If you would like to win with skill then you should at least give HGSS-on a try. But I get the feeling you haven't played during the game's golden years (2004-2008). And certainly, the game was at its peak in 2005-2006. I am sorry that a lot of cards you have purchased this season will have rotated. It's the same for everyone else. As a player who has been around since the beginning, I can tell you that I had and have no plans to attend any Battle Road because of the format. It isn't fun. It isn't even fun if you don't run Sableye.

This is our 4th year playing. Our first year, Gardi-Gallade was the flavor of the day. We played anti GG all year. My son won the GA state, 3rd at Regionals, and 3 at U.S. Nationals. We are curently testing HGSS on. My son won 3 battle roads in a row this past weekend basically playing HGSS on (with the exception of about 6 cards) with diff decks each day.

My son even quit playing for almost 7 months because he hated the Donk decks so bad. He couldn't stand to spend all of his time and money to show up at a tournament and not draw a card in a match.

All I'm saying is the donk fest is very bad, but I think it would be worse to throw out all the hard work and testing people have put in about a month before Nationals. You can increase your odds against Donks, It just takes a lot of testing. I think no matter what they decide to do, it is going to be bad either way. I personally think they are in a no win situation. But either way we will adapt and move on!

Ken

---------- Post added 06/02/2011 at 09:02 PM ----------

Thanks for a civil conversation Sizor. It is nice to have one on a subject that we can't all agree on! I'm really not sure that the cards are the problem as much as the rules for starting a game.

Last year I judged at two States, Regional, All of the GA Marathon tournaments, and a bunch of the battle roads. I tried to keep track of as many of the matches as I could. I was trying to figure out the percentage of players that won after winning the coin toss. After all of the matches that I kept track of (which was several hundred) about 68% of the people that went 2nd won the match. Now the advantage has shifted to the person that goes first. I have some idea's of what I think might make the game more fair, but I'm sure everyone else does to!

I think the reason the person going second won 68% of the matches that I kept up with last year was because the person going first couldn't play anything and the person going second could play everything. To me (it may not be the perfect situation) but I always thought you should let the person going first play supporters only and then let the person going second play anything and I think you would have a lot more competative matches.

Another possible solution would be to let each person start with two Basic Pokemon unstead of one!

Ken

Last edited:
I don't get how in the same post you can explain how your son quit for 7 months because of donks (when first turn wins happened on slight occasion) and yet support staying in a format where games end before a player drew a card 1/5 to 1/3 of all games.

Yes a 12 player battle road had 10/32 games won before a player drew a card.

I don't get how in the same post you can explain how your son quit for 7 months because of donks (when first turn wins happened on slight occasion) and yet support staying in a format where games end before a player drew a card 1/5 to 1/3 of all games.

Yes a 12 player battle road had 10/32 games won before a player drew a card.

The main reason I am supporting staying in the same format is because I know a bunch of young players that have spent thier hard earned money to get the cards to build SP decks, G-dos decks, Lost Gar, etc.

If you change before nationals, a lot of them don't have the money to get new cards a month before nationals. Like I said we will adapt no matter what, but I know of several young players and families that will not make the trip if all of their decks are thrown out before nationals.

From a pure selfish point of view, I do hope they throw everything out. But when I see the look on some of kids faces that have to use thier own money to buy cards, and I see all the hard work they have put in the year, it just disappoints me. That is why I said I thought it would be a slap in the face. For all the young players that have so much invested in their decks and no money to buy cards for a new deck before Nationals, it would be devastating. Someone had to go to bat for them, that's all I'm trying to do!

I think it is a no win situation for Pokemon U.S.A. I just hope everyone realizes it is Japan's fault for the rule changes, not the great group of people we have here in the United States. They are just trying to play the hand dealt to them.

Ken

Last edited:
3 donks in 12 games

Frst donk I start wit hlone crobat but have collector and double colorless in my hand. We flip and I go first. He truns over a lone Azelf. I draw play collector gra a bat and an Ambipom. Retreat active for Ambipom, flashbite with my other Crobat, attache double colorless and win the game.

Second torueny no donks.

Third tourney two donks.

First I start with Sableye active. I have in hand a crobat and a regularl dark energy, Poketurn and a junk arm. He starts with a Skarmony 80 HP active Uxie benched. I go first and top deck a Seeker. So I have 7 cards in hand. Attach regular dark energy to Sabelye. 6 cards in hand, I play Crobat on bench and flashbite active. (5 cards) play Seeker. Opponent picks up lone uxie on bench, I pick up Crobat and flash bite again it has 20 damage on it. (4 card) I play poketurn and falsh bite again taking Skarmony to 30 damange and have 3 cards left. Play junk arm and ditch last two remaining cards in hand for my poketurn and flash bite a 4th time taking it to 40 damamge and sableye overconfident KO range.

Very next game I start with Ambipom, crobat, poketurn and a double colorless. My opponnet starts with a one Phanphy 70 HP. I start with Ambipom and win the flip. Drop Crobat flashbite. Poketurn flashbite attach double colorless and OHKO the Phanphy.

Then i get what I desere next game and get a Zorua start vs a lostgar. Go 2nd and he gets a T1 Lostgar and gets rid of my Uxie in hand befoer I even get to draw a card. Then he gets a T3 Shadowroom Gengar and I end up getting lost worlded to death.

[

Last edited:
Well I had an interesting game where I donked a Sabeleye...

My hand consisted of spiritomb active, and collector in hand. I also had a BTS, Seadra, and a Kingdra...

I top decked a water energy...

Collectord for an Unown Q and Horsea... I then played Horsea, BTS, Seadra, then Kingdra, and attached the energy. I retreated Spitiomb with Unown Q, and hit the active for 60 for the KO...

The main reason I am supporting staying in the same format is because I know a bunch of young players that have spent thier hard earned money to get the cards to build SP decks, G-dos decks, Lost Gar, etc.

If you change before nationals, a lot of them don't have the money to get new cards a month before nationals. Like I said we will adapt no matter what, but I know of several young players and families that will not make the trip if all of their decks are thrown out before nationals.

From a pure selfish point of view, I do hope they throw everything out. But when I see the look on some of kids faces that have to use thier own money to buy cards, and I see all the hard work they have put in the year, it just disappoints me. That is why I said I thought it would be a slap in the face. For all the young players that have so much invested in their decks and no money to buy cards for a new deck before Nationals, it would be devastating. Someone had to go to bat for them, that's all I'm trying to do!

I think it is a no win situation for Pokemon U.S.A. I just hope everyone realizes it is Japan's fault for the rule changes, not the great group of people we have here in the United States. They are just trying to play the hand dealt to them.

Ken

Oh, Please, it's not like they are the only ones suffering. My Luxrays that I have earned went from 80+ to 10 overnight because of the news, and I don't have a part-time job.

Yet, I am happy that they are getting rid of Stormfront. As long as this set gets off the game, anything else to me is just collateral damage.

If those kids thinks that auto-pilot dung like G-dos or Sableye, takes skill and makes Pokemon a good game, then they really are on drugs; and should not be allowed to play for the sake of those who actually like playing the game for what it is suppose to be. This is for a certain junior that I know who wants the format to stay, so that he can continue to win.

And how is this Japan's fault anyways? It's P!P's decision to keep the MD-on so that they can keep most of those SP haters happy and the rest of us in unrest since we have lost our defense against stuff like Machamp (And our card pools back then). They should have thought this would happen when Japan announced the game changes all the way back in September, and prepare for it better.

If they would have made it PT-on, then none of this would happen. Sure, SP would dominate, blah, blah, blah, but at least you get to play more than a turn (or none at all). There is no reason to keep 3-4 year-old cards in the format and let the ones that are still in print down the crapper and unwanted (until now that is.)

One more thing, it is not that if Sableye is consistent or not. It is the fact that it is there, and has a major effect on the game that is on the basis of a coin-flip.

Okay, obviously P!P has their work cut out for them. Like someone mentioned earlier, P!P can't win in this situation. However, if they don't rotate, there will be lots of people who don't come to Nats just because of Sabledonk, which is a problem. If they do rotate, there will be some people who can't get all of the cards they need for this format. That being said, the most expensive cards, such as collectors, communications, etc, they WILL already have. Also, cards like Donphan and others they should be able to trade for or already have. It's not like 5 sets are coming in at once and we have to buy tons of boxes of them. Kids have some of the cards. Different kids will want different decks, and thus there will be many trade-able cards. This is the Pokemon TRADING Card game after all. It'll be better if it is HGSS-on, just for that reason IMO. Remember, there is no meta game in an HG-SS format. Anything could work.

Fix'd that for ya.

I've been able to Donk with Arceus since CoL and going second cuz of the old trainer rule.
it's kinda fun to T1 sky spear and T2 psybolt. or sky spear again, depending on the situation =)

should I Arcedonk at BR's next weekend?

The highlight of this Battle Roads was seeing my friend beat the donk deck he had lost to 3 times in a row in swiss only to face it in top 4 and win! It was funny it was great and it ticked off the guy running the donk deck. Which made it even more funny as he was 15-0 with it over all the tournaments combined. Can't say much other than YAY!!!

My final tourament of the year I played 5 rounds including finals that was 3 games. So I had 4 donks in 7 games.

Game 1 I donked a Macoke with Sableye

Game 3 I donked a Sableye with Sableye (I won the flip)

Game 4 I donked an Azelf with Sableye (had to really work for this one did not have the donk in my opening hand)

Game 7 I donked a Magnemite with Sableye

So in 19 games in 4 battle roads I had 7 donks, 2 with Ambipom and 5 with Sableye

Last edited:
I was playing against a guy with a slightly modified theme deck at a BR's on monday (it was his first tournament, he had come there with some of his friends). I started sableye + special dark (playing sableye/cinccino) to his lone eevee UD and instead of donking him and ruining his time at his first tournament, I set my bench up and impersonated for something. I ended up t3 benching him anyways since he couldnt really set anything up.

Played in two BRs and didnt get donked in any. Tournies are really nice when there's no Sableye Donk. I wish we could just ban it and not rotate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back