Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Early Rotation announced: HGSS-on as of July 1st!

It's good news that at least U.S. Nats and Worlds will have a healthy format because when Catcher is released this game is again almost unplayable for next 2 years.

That doesn't mean it wasn't an option; it means they consciously decided not to allow B&W without the rules printed in the B&W rulebooks because it would be inconvenient and violate tradition. Admittedly, to reverse the changes in rules ex post facto would be awkward and troublesome, but not as much as requiring a rotation to repair a broken format...

Actually, I think Pokemom is quoting Biggie when she says it was "not an option." I think P!P suggested that option during the early meetings where early rotation was discussed and were told that the B&W set and the B&W rules are completely inseparable as far as Japan is concerned.
Posted with Mobile style...

"I disagree, I've seen around 20 archetypes just for this rotation.":mad:

lets do a real count deck wise MD-0n

luxchomp, dialgachomp, loxchomp, vilechamp, vilegar, gyrados, scizor, regigigas, sablock/chenlock, magnezone, these are only the tier one decks(at least at some point throughout the season)
tier 2
donphan, jumpluff, vilepluff, machamp, sabledonk(black uxiedonk), kingdra, blastgatr, yanmega, viletyranitar, lostgar, mewperior,

decks that couldve seen competitve play from the past but didnt
genchamp, luxape, g deck(dialga g/palkia g), amu, palkialock, flychamp, and many more tier 2 decks

thats 27 i posted

hgson
emboar,feraligatr, yanmega, zekrom, donphan, machamp, cincino, lostgar,

8 decks

yes i didnt post the individual decks that most of these above decks can make varients of , but all will be too similar to be considered distinct. in hgs on this is common but in the above mentioned deck within md-on all are distinct decks.

dont let the hype consume you, lets all hope that this bottleneck doesnt become a single deck metagame as gardelade did after ex series was rotated.

I shall say my last goodbyes to my favorite decks.......... Goodbye dialgachomp and and mewtwo RIP .
Posted with Mobile style...

Last edited:
"I disagree, I've seen around 20 archetypes just for this rotation.":mad:

lets do a real count deck wise MD-0n

luxchomp, dialgachomp, loxchomp, vilechamp, vilegar, gyrados, scizor, regigigas, sablock/chenlock, magnezone, these are only the tier one decks(at least at some point throughout the season)
tier 2
donphan, jumpluff, vilepluff, machamp, sabledonk(black uxiedonk), kingdra, blastgatr, yanmega, viletyranitar, lostgar, mewperior,

decks that couldve seen competitve play from the past but didnt
genchamp, luxape, g deck(dialga g/palkia g), amu, palkialock, flychamp, and many more tier 2 decks

thats 27 i posted

hgson
emboar,feraligatr, yanmega, zekrom, donphan, machamp, cincino, lostgar,

8 decks

yes i didnt post the individual decks that most of these above decks can make varients of , but all will be too similar to be considered distinct. in hgs on this is common but in the above mentioned deck within md-on all are distinct decks.

dont let the hype consume you, lets all hope that this bottleneck doesnt become a single deck metagame as gardelade did after ex series was rotated.

Really iffy tier lists (Scizor is tier 1?) AND you miss out tier 2 decks from HGSS-on (Blatoise/Floatzel, Jumpluff, Typhlosion variants, T-tar, Samurott, Serperior, Kingdra/Mandibuzz). You also say you won't count variants for HGSS-on, but you seem happy to do it for MD-on (VilePluff and Jumpluff, VileChamp and Champ, even Luxchomp and Loxchomp!). Sorry, but your figures are not legit.

In any case, there were 13 sets in MD-BW and 6 (incl. CoL reprint set) in HGSS-BW. Of course there are going to more decks in MD-BW :rolleyes:

The number of decks you could build wasn't the problem. The problem was that hardly any of them were competitive. DP-on and MD-on was all about SP, Gengar, and Gyarados. Between them, they dominated every tournament for nearly 2 years.

Come back in two years time and we will see if 3 decks dominated HGSS-on.

Catcher will not be as bad as anyone of you like to think when we lose all good Draw Powers next year at this time, it might not be as bad.

Besides, you have to remember that even YOU can get caught when a fat Pokemon up front when you draw your catcher. It's not a one way street just for you.

This is awesome news. Better news would be finding the perfect Draw/Search engine in the time-frame we have and for the new players that will come in and have no clue what to use their in deck.

baby mario: The third deck wasn't Gengar. It was Vileplume. Or, even more generally, Lock. Just think about the pure number of Lock style decks that won or were considered "good" in the MD-on format.

If you really want to get general, there were probably two types of decks in the format: Donk and Lock. Was there really a third type that you can think of?

The problem with the last format was not that it was dominated by SP. It was the fact it was dominated by 2 very extreme decks being Vilegar (extreme trainer lock) and SP (extreme speed+consistency). These decks combined make 95% of the card pool uncompetitive. How often have you heard that someone has a deck that has solid matchups against all decks including SP *except vilegar* or vice versa.

baby mario: The third deck wasn't Gengar. It was Vileplume. Or, even more generally, Lock. Just think about the pure number of Lock style decks that won or were considered "good" in the MD-on format.

If you really want to get general, there were probably two types of decks in the format: Donk and Lock. Was there really a third type that you can think of?

I said Gengar because my point was about how long decks based on it have been around. Gengar + Vileplume isn't even half the story when it comes to that card.

Gengar/Dusknoir, Gengar/Machamp, and Gengar/Nidoqueen were all powerful meta decks before we even got any kind of Trainer lock. Cursegar decks were tier 1 for a while before Vileplume was even released (though admittedly they had Tomb for that).

I said Gengar because my point was about how long decks based on it have been around. Gengar + Vileplume isn't even half the story when it comes to that card.

Gengar/Dusknoir, Gengar/Machamp, and Gengar/Nidoqueen were all powerful meta decks before we even got any kind of Trainer lock. Cursegar decks were tier 1 for a while before Vileplume was even released (though admittedly they had Tomb for that).

More players played G-Dos than Vilegar....Plus G-dos did better overall so it wasnt a mainly SP/Vilegr dominating.

More players played G-Dos than Vilegar....Plus G-dos did better overall so it wasnt a mainly SP/Vilegr dominating.

More players played G-Dos. More players did well with G-Dos. Why? More people played it.

Does that mean VileGar didn't dominate where it was played? No. VileGar also had a good matchup vs. G-Dos and LuxChomp, but it could still lose to them sometimes. VileGar/G-Dos/SP dominated this season, and LuxChomp/G-Dos/Gengar were all there last year too.

If you saw my original post, I said

The number of decks you could build wasn't the problem. The problem was that hardly any of them were competitive. DP-on and MD-on was all about SP, Gengar, and Gyarados. Between them, they dominated every tournament for nearly 2 years.

In the post you quoted I was making a specific point about Gengar in response to Bullados.

Back